Discussion Descendants of Night March

Nyora

A Cat
Hello fellow beachgoers! I have today a deck- the best deck in the standard format. A rogue deck. But let me tell you one thing first- it's actually not all that good, but sometimes can win in a prize trade battle or just pure luck. It has only commons, they are the descendants of Night March, and they are what a circle is. Have you guessed it yet? NO you obviously haven't. Well I'll tell you now. It's Round! Only 2 Pokémon in the Standard format get Round, and that's Whismur and Tympole. With all 8 in play + Fighting Fury Belt, your doing a nice solid 90 damage every turn. This can win some prizes trade matches, and has no real good matchups, but even your opponent (as I've noticed) having the slightest bit of bad luck can be HUGE for you. I don't have the deck list now but I will later, but the main aspect of the deck is Tympole/Whismur. Just get 'em out, and sing for 90.
EDIT: NO this is not under fun. This I believe has some competitive usage if a perfect Round Deck could be made.

TheGuardian118

Aspiring Trainer
My first deck on the online TCG was an expanded round deck. It was really fun, but unfortunately not super competitive. It would be cool to see round come back!

Nyora

A Cat
Deck list here!
c35XTD_GCdSxGLzsuM0WwthwTuGTqm73v05qJWyIRMoVorZhiqZFBlIwogeoeIlt-Qen7Hh__w=w3072-h4096-no

MarshalBry

Aspiring Trainer
I don't really see why you'd run this over Circle Circuit Raichu that hits for 160 for a DCE instead of 90 at maximum power to be honest (other than it being a Stage 1, but really that doesn't affect too much?)

200px-RaichuGenerationsRC9.jpg

Don't get me wrong, I love Round too but without Pokémon with stronger versions of it (like that one plasma Seismitoad with Round at 30x instead of 10x) it seems redudant

Nyora

A Cat
Raichu seems good, but NO. I have to have eight in play, meaning I'll only have 1 bench slot left, and that's for Unown. Might be able to find a way to tech Rachu in though, thanks!

TheGuardian118

Aspiring Trainer
Raichu seems good, but NO. I have to have eight in play, meaning I'll only have 1 bench slot left, and that's for Unown. Might be able to find a way to tech Rachu in though, thanks!

I think the recommendation was to use Raichu as the main attacker instead of a round Pokémon as the main attacker, since you'll do much more damage for roughly the same amount of work. Might not fit your "Theme" as well, but would be a much more competitive deck.

Nyora

A Cat
I see what you mean but I've tried playing raichu too and Round seemed more consistent.

Professor Palutena

The Queen
This is inferior to Raichu.

Play it in expanded with Exploud and Meloetta and it's a different story. But when you're maxing out at 90 damage with a 100 HP Pokemon, you're going to lose all the time.

In terms of matchups:

Scizor: they OHKO and discard Skyfield. You 3HKO them. How do you win?

Mewtwo: You 3HKO them, so you never win because they can Damage Swap.

Volcanion: You might have a shot here because Tympole can OHKO Volcanion with Skyfield in play. They would need 3 Volcanions to OHKO your FFB Pokemon.

Rayquaza: They OHKO you without Skyfield, lessening the need to setup. Again, you 3HKO them. Not sure how you'd win this one.

Darkrai: It's a 2HKO so you can keep the pace with the prize trade. However, you lose to Giratina variants.

Greninja: They stay ahead in the prize trade as they OHKO you and you OHKO them.

Gardevoir: Doesn't even need to discard their bench to OHKO.

How could this deck have any competitive viability?

tl;dr: Just play Raichu. It's a strict upgrade in literally every sense of the word. Better yet, play Rayquaza. They have the exact same strategy as you, but with literally doubled (or tripled) damage potential. That's the stuff that wins games, not bad luck.

Lanstar

The Cutest of Ladies
Sorry to say this, but almost every metagame threat pretty much trouses this Idea:

M Scizor: Easily Knocks out the Rounders, and it takes 3 hit from them (90 Damage Cap). Also discards stadiums with ease, and most run Parallel City.
M Mewtwo: Takes 3-Hits to KO, and by then, It'll just sit there with damage change if you aren't careful.
Volcanion: I Guess this is a decent matchup, given that Tympole hits for weakness, and you can Lysandre out the EX's... I'd think 60-40 in favor of round, but only at most.
Mega Ray: It will take advantage of sky field and it will take 3 hits to KO... But if you use Lysandre correctly, you could take down a bench sitter in 2 hits... if they really need them. Not very favorable.
Darkrai/Giratina: Belted, they take 3 hits to KO - and watch for Giratina to Block your DCE attachments, Belts, and Sky field.
Xerneas Rainbow Force: You end up dealing with a Prize trade debacle, as Xerneas can easily 1-hit the rounders with only 3 Types on the bench - and you can only 2 hit theirs.

The theme: the 90 Damage cap of your idea is the biggest problem you have here, and the Standard Format is a 1-2 hit meta.

Edit: I got Greninja'd. xD

Nyora

A Cat
I here you all. But LUCK is the key factor in this deck. They get even a tiny bit unlucky, that's going to help you a lot, even meaning the game!

Lanstar

The Cutest of Ladies
I here you all. But LUCK is the key factor in this deck. They get even a tiny bit unlucky, that's going to help you a lot, even meaning the game!

The issue with that is the reason Metagame Threats are "Threats", is that they are mainly designed to be really, really consistant - i.e. Not reliant on luck that much at all. Think of your matchups in terms of favorability: For instance, luck can allow M Scizor to beat a Volcanion Deck, but who would you actually place you bets on winning?

LBelleBird

Aspiring Trainer

Can you please elaborate on how this wins you games?

If the meta was truly based on luck winning matches, we would see Professor Birch over N, low counts of energy and 4 Max Elixir, Greedy Dice, etc. - except that very few people do this. There's a reason we all run cards in certain ratios (for most decks, some obviously run a little differently and adjust accordingly), and that is to decrease inconsistency or "bad luck". For example, in your deck list, you have maximum counts of most cards. This increases your consistency, and you're very likely to draw into what you need because there are so many copies of each card. However, I fail to see how 90 damage is going to win you matches against Pokemon that are often twice your own HP and can 1HKO every one of your Pokemon while you 3HKO theirs. That doesn't put the prize trade in your favor, and it appears to be that taking all 6 prizes is your deck's win condition. I'm in no way trying to tear down your deck, but I am struggling to see how this deck is competitive.

Nyora

A Cat
When I say "luck" I mean missing a Lysander (which probably won't be needed)or a bad start or no draw support. Any bit of extra turns can pull the game slightly towards the chances of the deck winning. I agree it's not the most comptetive ever, but your opponent getting some bad luck can drastically change the tide of the game, as I've expierenced when playing this in tourneys online fighting compteyive decks like Tina and Such. It's mainly the luck factor that lets you win. And in his metal luck is big. For example, I played a tournament here in Lewisville last week and fought Mega Ray with my Serpentine. He got the PERFECT setup, as he even said, but once I finally managed to paralyze down the Mega Rays, there wasn't much he could do. 2 cards left in his deck with 3 prizes left, there wasn't much he could do. Nervertheless, I did win that match out of luck. This is just to explain that luck is big in this, so a deck like this could actually be randomly competitiv (if you know what I mean) based on how unlucky your opponents are.

Latte1504

Aspiring Trainer
Big problem here is that when you play online, it only means that your deck is consistent, not necessarily good.
For example, I played a tournament here in Lewisville last week and fought Mega Ray with my Serpentine. He got the PERFECT setup, as he even said, but once I finally managed to paralyze down the Mega Rays, there wasn't much he could do. 2 cards left in his deck with 3 prizes left, there wasn't much he could do.
This was the fault of that player. He overextended too far, and that put him out of the game. He should have won that.

BraviaryBoi

Anonymus
There's a difference between "guys, this deck works on an online simulator where everyone is bad, I think I broke the meta" and, "Hey here's a cool deck idea that might work. Any advice?"

Calling this "a descendant of night March" is a huge stretch. This deck has been tried before and it works occasionally, but is pretty bad.

Nyora

A Cat
Yo, all the tournaments online were with compteyive people, though there were a BIT of nubs. I call it descendants or Night Marbach because the pay have small amounts of HP, hit big-ish, and they are fast.
EDIT: Not gonna lie, Called them Night Marbach because I don't want it to turn blue. It annoys me.

Last edited: