Deck Archetype Yveltal-EX Variants

gumball51321

*thumbs up*
Is there any way to hybridize the 2 deck strategies (poison and Maxie's)? I'm sure such a list exists but what does it look like?
It looks similar to this
Pokémon (13)
  • 2 Yveltal-EX 79/146
  • 2 Yveltal 94/162
  • 1 Yveltal 78/146
  • 2 Shaymin-EX 77/108
  • 1 Darkrai-EX 88/113
  • 1 Seismitoad-EX 20/111
  • 1 Keldeo-EX 45/113
  • 1 Jirachi-EX 60/101
  • 1 Archeops 67/101
  • 1 Gallade 84/162
Trainer Cards (36)
  • 2 Maxie's Hidden Ball Trick
  • 2 Professor Sycamore
  • 1 AZ
  • 1 Colress
  • 1 Ghetsis
  • 1 Lysandre
  • 1 N
  • 1 Virbank City Gym
  • 4 Dark Patch
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 4 VS Seeker
  • 3 Battle Compressor Team Flare Gear
  • 3 Hypnotoxic Laser
  • 3 Trainers' Mail
  • 2 Float Stone
  • 2 Muscle Band
  • 1 Computer Search
Energy Cards (11)
  • 7 Darkness Energy
  • 4 Double Colorless Energy
Sorry this is so long, i copied and pasted off of TPCI website.

SaliosGnome

Never confuse effort with results.
I've started to run a 1 of the BreakPOINT Darkrai-EX. I feel this is really strong if with dark pulse hitting for 100-180 pretty easily. Also Dark Head is fantastic if you run LaserBank. Any other ideas about how the new Darkrai-EX could fit in to Yveltal in Expanded?
Malamar-EX has been a pretty successful tech to use that works super well with Darkrai-EX. I also play one Darkrai in my list. Hypno also works well, but with Archeops being popular in the metagame, it is a risky build. However, I still feel that having one Darkrai-EX in an Expanded Dark build is worthwhile even if the only method of putting your opponent's Pokémon to sleep is LaserBank.

fr33land

Weak competitive trainer.
Is max elixir not worth running in the maxie deck? It can help early but kind of useless later, with less consistent results for acceleration when compared with patch, but still preferable to acro bike imo. Ghetsis is devastating in expanded most of the time. Yveltal xy is critical in two matchups night march and trevenant break the bkp one is pretty sick to include, sometimes pokemon just die when you make it active and fighting fury belt gets turned off also it sniper shaymin in two shots. I run a maxie's and laser version, consistency of archeops suffers but ithe certainly takes a lot of prizes one way or another. When you really need archeops it can be done early, but sometimes it's better to focus on attacking.

DankTCG

Aspiring Memer
I've started to run a 1 of the BreakPOINT Darkrai-EX. I feel this is really strong if with dark pulse hitting for 100-180 pretty easily. Also Dark Head is fantastic if you run LaserBank. Any other ideas about how the new Darkrai-EX could fit in to Yveltal in Expanded?
Hey Gabking5458, happy to see that you are giving this deck a shot. I can PM you my list if you want, but it is far from perfect. I have tested it on TCG ONE to some degree of success. If anyone else is interested, feel free to PM me, but I will post the list soon on PokeBeach when it is more refined and I have tested it more. Good luck

ProZlockie

Meow? Meow.
Started testing this heavily for the upcoming Philadelphia Regional, but I'm having troubles with the Toad/Bats match up. Anything I can do to help there? I already run a Pokemon Ranger to help out. Using the Archeops version btw.

BraviaryBoi

Anonymus
Started testing this heavily for the upcoming Philadelphia Regional, but I'm having troubles with the Toad/Bats match up. Anything I can do to help there? I already run a Pokemon Ranger to help out. Using the Archeops version btw.
Unfortunately, nothing you can really do about that matchup. Pokemon Ranger doesn't really do anything against toad and idk how you actually have the space for it. Ghetsis/Lab/Punch just kills you.
Hey Gabking5458, happy to see that you are giving this deck a shot. I can PM you my list if you want, but it is far from perfect. I have tested it on TCG ONE to some degree of success. If anyone else is interested, feel free to PM me, but I will post the list soon on PokeBeach when it is more refined and I have tested it more. Good luck
Does "more refined" mean "when I tested it in real life"?
It looks similar to this
Pokémon (13)
  • 2 Yveltal-EX 79/146
  • 2 Yveltal 94/162
  • 1 Yveltal 78/146
  • 2 Shaymin-EX 77/108
  • 1 Darkrai-EX 88/113
  • 1 Seismitoad-EX 20/111
  • 1 Keldeo-EX 45/113
  • 1 Jirachi-EX 60/101
  • 1 Archeops 67/101
  • 1 Gallade 84/162
Trainer Cards (36)
  • 2 Maxie's Hidden Ball Trick
  • 2 Professor Sycamore
  • 1 AZ
  • 1 Colress
  • 1 Ghetsis
  • 1 Lysandre
  • 1 N
  • 1 Virbank City Gym
  • 4 Dark Patch
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 4 VS Seeker
  • 3 Battle Compressor Team Flare Gear
  • 3 Hypnotoxic Laser
  • 3 Trainers' Mail
  • 2 Float Stone
  • 2 Muscle Band
  • 1 Computer Search
Energy Cards (11)
  • 7 Darkness Energy
  • 4 Double Colorless Energy
Sorry this is so long, i copied and pasted off of TPCI website.
Copy/pasting off TPCI website is the worst thing you can do to find a list. Example: the above hunk of trash

ProZlockie

Meow? Meow.
Unfortunately, nothing you can really do about that matchup. Pokemon Ranger doesn't really do anything against toad and idk how you actually have the space for it. Ghetsis/Lab/Punch just kills you.

I forget what I took out for it, but I primarily use it late game to try and swing momentum if I still have a couple of Dark Patch or VS Seeker when I need something from my discard pile for the next turn, although it does hinder me sometimes. Would Bodyguard Marowak be worth consideration?
And yeah, I kind of forgot Ghetsis was a card for a little bit until my friend sprung it on me.

BraviaryBoi

Anonymus
Marowak is awful and not worth space. Ghetsis/Lab is your main issue so ranger can give you maybe one turn if under punch lock but I can't see it having much effect against toad in general.

LightningCloud224

Aspiring Trainer
I forget what I took out for it, but I primarily use it late game to try and swing momentum if I still have a couple of Dark Patch or VS Seeker when I need something from my discard pile for the next turn, although it does hinder me sometimes. Would Bodyguard Marowak be worth consideration?
And yeah, I kind of forgot Ghetsis was a card for a little bit until my friend sprung it on me.
I have seen plenty of people play ranger effectively against toad decks, and plenty of people fail to draw any cards off ghetsis. Although if you really want to hurt toad bats, you play at least three sycamore so you can draw into energy more easily and thereby make it more likely to outpace their disruption and limited damage output. Xerosic also hurts them a lot by discarding dce.

BraviaryBoi

Anonymus
Do you people not understand the concept of Ghetsis/Silent Lab? You can't do anything. And don't hit me with the "but they won't get it out all the time" argument. The deck doesn't need it first turn anyways vs yveltal. TBH, any toad deck (except maybe toad Tina) rolls yveltal and it doesn't even matter if you run ranger or not. Toad bats is no different.

BraviaryBoi

Anonymus
Smh
The question was referring SPECIFICALLY how to deal with toad bats. It had nothing to do with wether it might show up or not. Silent Lab/Ghetsis is how you lose, and to be honest, Ghetsis in general against Yveltal first turn cripples it baaaaadly. And lots of decks run Ghetsis.

Oh, and in no way can yveltal "simply" attach energies when they are being item locked, ability locked (Silent lab/hex maniac) and with tons of damage appearing on the field through quaking punch/bats. And if you do manage to get energy, then say hello to Dedenne/Mewtwo ex.
Meanwhile, Vespiquen had little success before (aside from fall regionals 2016) and Karen is sure to wipe them all away. And "toad being scared off by vespiquen" is false. It should actually be the opposite. It's a little hard for me to explain, but basically, Ghetsis, Silent Lab, item lock, disruption, OHKO combees, and some eevees and flareons with toad/band.

BraviaryBoi

Anonymus
It is really hard to draw with yveltal under item lock. Like, REALLY hard. Also, toad bats puts a lot of damage on the field through punch, bats, and lasers. Toad bats is literally just a deck that aims to quaking punch and uses bats just to apply an insane mount of pressure to have the opponent find their energy before they are KOed. Also, VirGen loses to a lot, and TrevGor is not played anymore and replaced by WobbGor.

kai88

THE Aspiring Trainer ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I was thinking about running this deck. But I have a question. How does the matchup against rayquaza play out? Also, what's the matchup like against primal Groudon?

Last edited:

BraviaryBoi

Anonymus
Vs Mega Ray, just hope to Ghetsis turn one and use yveltal bkt. It's a horrible matchup if you can't and even if you can it's still possible for you to lose.

Vs PG, I think you lose because mine and center lady. Not 100% sure though because i haven't N played that MU in a while.

LightningCloud224

Aspiring Trainer
Against mega Ray I've found the most disruptive strategy is chaining hex maniacs so they can't get setup at all with hoopa or shaymin while you get ahead in the prize race with fright night or Yveltal ex. This is again a long shot like ghetsis. Against primal groudon, you also have to pitch black spear and ko mr mime as soon as it hits the board. Primal groudon is manageable because it's slow. Mega Ray though is pretty inconsistent at times and parallel city and sometimes just well timed stadium replacement hurts a lot, but it's very fast.

LightningCloud224

Aspiring Trainer
i came across a seniors accelgor deck for philly that crushed the whole Yveltal Maxie's strategy. Using wobbuffet they could always evolve and traded even better than night March against me.

I recommend seniors and masters play a copy of Pokémon center lady or Olympia as night March is no longer around to counter accelgor.

BraviaryBoi

Anonymus
I guess you should make one

As for Accelgor, I find that Accelgor does have trouble against Olympia/center lady, but in yveltal Maxie's, that just means adding more supporters which weakens the potential of maxies

gumball51321

*thumbs up*
I guess you should make one

As for Accelgor, I find that Accelgor does have trouble against Olympia/center lady, but in yveltal Maxie's, that just means adding more supporters which weakens the potential of maxies
Is that because of healing, or getting rid of posion/ paralysis? Also, I just now noticed that there is no Yveltal/ Garb thread yet. Considering it's BDIF, you'd think after two regionals and nationals that it won, they would have it by now.

fr33land

Weak competitive trainer.
Because you are under item lock. Escaping the status conditions is more difficult. I thought most competitive lists of maxie and yveltal ran keldeo ex. Trees can really suck for decks dedicated to a maxie engine and archeops cannot stop ascension, wally or evosoda. It would help against the accelgor swarm mind you.