Discussion Can Gengar counter Mega Mewtwo?

TheRealSitek

Aspiring Trainer
So I built a mega Alakazam deck and got destroyed by mega mewtwo. I pulled a Gengar from a Generations booster and had a thought. Does anyone think Gengar could take out a mewtwo deck? I'm thinking 4 Gengar lines, 2 faded town, two team megma base, 4 rare candies, wally and evosodas along with VS seeker lysander and Pokemon Catcher I should be able to drop counters on the bench. Having Lysander capability and slowly picking on the bench mixed with a 6 to 3 prize take (considering EX = two prizes) it can be done. Thoughts?

How does Mega Alakazam even need a counter against Mega Mewtwo Y? You only need one or two energies depending on the format. Psychic Infinity can't hit you for weakness, you on the other hand do double the amount of damage. Is it the ability block from Garbodor? Bursting Balloon on a wobbuffet/Hoopa STS or another one price attacker can help you out.

Maybe you were just unlucky? :p

Unlucky was a big part of it. I got two evolutions in before garbodor shut me down but i was getting bad draws. Didnt have enough energy to hold up while trying to lysander garbodor.

Garbodor is always a troublesome opponent for Mega Alakazam decks. But Hoopa from Steam Siege + Bursting Balloons is a great alternative for spreading damage counters across the field without using abilities.

Agreed. I did in fact take out the two Wobbeffet and added two baby hoopas. Also replaced one mega turbo with yveltal from breakthrough for freight night. I shall see how she works!

As for bursting balloon, I thought that, however I couldn't decide what to take out so I passed on said card.

Garbodor shuts M Alakazam down.

Honestly, if you play M Alakazam, you need to be prepared for disappointment.

Play baby hoopa. Your first target should be Mewtwo and trubbish. That will set you up for a Lysandre Zen Force KO. Hitting an active Mewtwo will also do 40 damage, which is enough for Zen Force to KO even if they evolve.

Ive come to the realization that Alakazam will be disappointed when it comes to Garbodor but I am still going to work until I get that victory. I've setup as much defense as I can without hurting consistency. I am also building a Mewtwo deck which will pull from and break my Alakzam deck. If you can't beat em, join em lol

As for hitting 40 damage with one shot, how so? Zen force without counters does 10 making twenty with weakness?

Mewtwo is weak to psychic, so he gets punched for 40. That makes Zen Force do 250 damage (10 + (30 × 4 × 2), securing the kill.

I misunderstood you. You should be attacking with baby hoopa in the early game to spread damage around and keep zam safe.

Gotcha! I did add two baby hoopas, too. I appreciate the help guys. I wasn't feeling to hot about this deck after so many losses (1 and 5) but now the confidence is back up lol

Add two more. That's your starter. You wanna open with him every game.

I will, for sure. Makes perfect sense. Baby hoopa is the main in one of the the prebuilt siege decks , correct?

I had two Wobbuffet and started with him in one match. I decided to scrap him for hoopa simply for the speed. It's much funner to be setup quicker!

Back