Discussion Evolutions and its effect on the current meta

Xerneos

Aspiring Trainer
Hey beachers! I want to start a topic based around the new release of evolutions and the potential effect on the current meta game. Not only is the art of these cards fantastic, but its reach of new deck ideas and insertion of new cards in previous deck ideas is large. Heres some cards i think may have some potential on the current meta

*mega venusaur (spirit link)
*beedril
*ninetales/starmie break
*starmie/starmie break
*mewtwo
*pidgeot/ m pidgeot
*rattatta (as its 40hp strengthens the nasty raticate break deck from being so easily sniped)
*dragonite ex
*brocks grit
*here come team rocket (maybe?)

Not sure I quite understand what your saying.

The question is if you are simply playing Pidgeot because it's your favorite Pokemon (not that there's anything wrong with that).

The opinions @Emskas expressed, although IMO were too harsh, were all pointing out otherwise valid points on if Pidgeot-EX could really "Break" the format. You defend Pidgeot so strongly, in a manner that could only be explained if Pidgeot was a Pokemon that you preferred over others.

The question is if you are simply playing Pidgeot because it's your favorite Pokemon (not that there's anything wrong with that).

The opinions @Emskas expressed, although IMO were too harsh, were all pointing out otherwise valid points on if Pidgeot-EX could really "Break" the format. You defend Pidgeot so strongly, in a manner that could only be explained if Pidgeot was a Pokemon that you preferred over others.

Yeah, I use it because it is my favorite and I believe my build is quite strong against the meta. I don't really defend Pidgeot. The card isn't super bad but its bad enough to where I'd play it and it is a card that existed before and I played it then and it was quite strong as well. I think people are being very dismissive of Pidgeot EX and just looking at M Pidgeot EX exclusively and by itself, its not that great but Pidgeot EX when used with cards like Shirne of Memories, Assault Vest and Max Potion becomes something your opponent can't deal with.

Yeah, I use it because it is my favorite and I believe my build is quite strong against the meta. I don't really defend Pidgeot. The card isn't super bad but its bad enough to where I'd play it and it is a card that existed before and I played it then and it was quite strong as well. I think people are being very dismissive of Pidgeot EX and just looking at M Pidgeot EX exclusively and by itself, its not that great but Pidgeot EX when used with cards like Shirne of Memories, Assault Vest and Max Potion becomes something your opponent can't deal with.

I see. The deck i'll always jump to defend is Wobbuffet/Kyurem. The deck is super good, but I cant just verbally tell anyone, I need to bring the deck in paper. and show them. Much respect my friend.

Beedrill/Talonflame may do quite well, but not extremely well because
1. Hard to get all four Beedrill out in certain scenarios
2. Hard to do well when starting with weedles, not Talonflame
3. Sure, can snipe Shaymin-EX, but it doesn't hit for 170 which would be amazing because it one shots Mewtwo-EX, Giratina-EX, Rayquaza-EX, Yveltal-EX, and even Flareon EX, without those having ffb and without those being megas (unlikely in mega rayquaza)

Still could do quite well against some decks though.

Except Mega Audino wasn't awful.

And that is because of what? Before worlds, everyone was saying the card was bad. Nothing changed at all for the card except someone showed up with it and played it and won. All Im saying is don't be so quick to say something is bad. Just say "I'll reserve my opinion until someone wins with it".

Heh, chillax dudes, no need for the snark undercurrent. Personally, I don't see Pidgeot as being particularly viable but it could definitely contribute to a few fun builds. Crystal has an article in the works I believe? So I'll wait to see that before I hurry to write it off. You never know, he could be on to something.

As for the thread topic, obviously Dragonite has certain uses. Especially in Gardevoir decks, as well as Mega Ray and possibly Rainbow Road to recover from Sky Field removal without blowing a Karen. Brock will have certain niche uses too. I'm also a believer in Misty (I know it's already around) being undervalued by a lot of people. She can be very useful in a lot of decks where you have many moving parts that Skyla can't grab.

I am thinking the biggest card though is possibly little Rattata? With results from the first tournament back showing just how Garb-centric the Meta is likely to be, it can be a soft counter to that - so long as you hit the Trubbish. Obviously you can't hit garb himself as the ability is blocked by the time there's an item on. But now Garb players are put into a nasty conundrum where they have to run more float stones, or risk not attaching to Trubbish to wait for Garb, at the risk of discarding etc. Let's not forget either, that BKP Raticate discards tools attached to the active. Lysandre up the Garb, and suddenly it's stranded in the active, poisoned and an army of Break are building on the bench and all those Mega Mewtwo/Scizor are having their spirit links discarded before they can use them.. If the metagame continues to be focused around Garb, this Rattata could make Raticate Break actually viable.

Apart from that, Venusaur Spirit Link is the card I'm looking to pick up in a hurry as I have builds in mind to play around with. The other one I'm keeping an eye on is a mix of old & new Machamp, along with the Break in a Maxie build. I don't think it'll break the Metagame, but I'll have some fun with it online for sure.

Mega-Slowbro & Chaos Tower might be a thing.. maybe.

And that is because of what? Before worlds, everyone was saying the card was bad. Nothing changed at all for the card except someone showed up with it and played it and won. All Im saying is don't be so quick to say something is bad. Just say "I'll reserve my opinion until someone wins with it".
Lots of people were testing it for worlds. There was even a couple people testing it for nationals.

@Yog Its why I dont write of anything as bad, even if I don't plan on using it. For me, I would use Pidgeot EX if it were something like the Promo Metagross EX or something much better that could OHKO the entire meta easily. I think most of the EX cards in evolutions can be viable with Mega Charizard being the only one I truly question simply because of the energy required and no real way in standard to get it going quickly. I personally believe M Venusaur EX instantly gets better when Sun and Moon drops but I think all of these cards can do something in the meta. Bias aside, I do believe that Pidgeot EX is the most playable EX card in the set since it doesn't need much to get going but I'm going to have to prove that, which I do hope I can do.

Dragonite EX and Brocks Guts are easily the best and most sought after cards in today's meta for this set. In a couple of months it could be different but that's what makes this game exciting. We could have a rogue Charizard evo line deck which I would poop myself if that happened. Hail Charizard!!

Dragonite EX and Brocks Guts are easily the best and most sought after cards in today's meta for this set. In a couple of months it could be different but that's what makes this game exciting. We could have a rogue Charizard evo line deck which I would poop myself if that happened. Hail Charizard!!

Well, get out there and make it happen. Results can work wonders for a card!

Back