Ruling Lampent Flickering Flames

Leanne Xerri

lnxerr
I am new to Pokemon TCG and I play with my 6 year old son and try to teach him how to play properly. I came across a problem today whilst playing with the Stage 1 Lampent card. My son had the card and was using the "Flickering Flames" attack, which does 20 damage and says "Your opponents Active Pokemon is now Asleep".

From what I understand, when the attack is used it means that I receive 20 damage to my active card is now asleep. I can then play my turn, but I cannot attack because I am asleep. At the end of my turn, I can then flip a coin and if it is heads, I wake up. My son then has another turn and again puts me to sleep, and it goes on again like this.

This means that my son will put me to sleep and the end of every turn and I will never be able to attack. The game is basically over. I am not sure what we are doing wrong. Can someone help with this please?

XY11_EN_49.png

Moved from the TCG Help to the Ask a Professor forums as the OP is looking for ruling help. This forum requires scans of the cards in question, and since I moved this thread, I have added the scans to the OP. ~bbninjas

The Sleep check (the coin flip) happens in every in-between-turns phase. So it'll go like this:

-Lampent attacks. Other Active is now Asleep. Turn Ends.
-In between turns: check for sleep. If heads, Pokémon is no longer Asleep. If tails, Pokémon remains Asleep.
-Your turn. Everything happens normally. If your Active is still Asleep, you can't attack; otherwise you can. Your turn ends.
-In between turns: check for sleep. If heads, Pokémon is no longer Asleep. If tails, Pokémon remains Asleep.
Opponent's turn. (...)

and so it goes on.

Back