Discussion What Kind of TCG Player Are You?

Robin Aisaga

Ginger Lillie > Regular Lillie
Hey Pokébeach :)

In real ife I've met many players. Most of them were nice, and usually a little odd. Sometimes a player just gives me the creeps... Each player is a person, and every person has their own way of doing things. I'm curious, what kind of players hang around Pokébeach? (Or if you prefer to call yourself a trainer, that's also cool) Common questions are for example: are you a reckless or a careful player, do you plan ahead or act in the moment? I'm actually surprised the Pokémon company doesn't ask the players this kind of information in surveys. Here are some other questions you may answer, I might add more if I can think of any:

• How strict are you when your opponent makes a mistake, do you make a lot of mistakes yourself?
  • How do you choose your deck? Do you look at your favorite Pokémon, top tiers or is there a budget involved?
  • Do you check the cards that are being played often? (Your opponent's hand, their discard pile, your remaining cards etc.)
  • How do you shuffle your deck? Are you a master or a klutz (like me)
  • Do you sometimes suspect your opponent of cheating? Have you ever cheated yourself?
  • Are you a sore loser or a bad winner, or both? How is your sportmanship.
  • How do you feel within the Pokémon TCG community?
Go ahead and share your experience.

PS: no, I'm not a TPCi employee working undercover.

Feel free to ask each other questions! Ofcourse answering is voluntary... You can tell something about yourself and ignore the questions presented above if you want.

Last edited:
♪ ♫ ♪ What kind of Pokemon Trainer are you? ♪ ♫ ♪
♫ ♪ ♪ How do you do the things you dooooo~?

Are you a reckless or a careful player, do you plan ahead or act in the moment?
I'm a bit, uh, slow. Ironic, because I was a chess player who played by timers. That said, chess is probably why I try and consider all options before I make a move. Naturally, practice does make my play much quicker, especially since can make decisions must faster.

How strict are you when your opponent makes a mistake, do you make a lot of mistakes yourself?
I'd say I'm a particularly strict player, unless I'm playing with someone new. If you make a mistake, you can't take it back in a proper tournament, so you shouldn't in casual tournament. That said, I do often allow mistakes that don't really affect the board state slip through. Someone I played against did once search out the wrong card in a casual tournament, and just when they were about to attack, they went back and found the card they needed to seal the game. I was not very happy. D:

How do you choose your deck? Do you look at your favorite Pokémon, top tiers or is there a budget involved?
Rogues! I love interesting and unique decks that show deckbuilding skill, and do not really like to play top tier decks (though Yveltal is fun).

Do you check the cards that are being played often? (Your opponent's hand, their discard pile, your remaining cards etc.)
I probably should more, when I play. I have made bad plays because I was not fully aware of the board.

How do you shuffle your deck? Are you a master or a klutz (like me)?
Somewhere in-between. I often do the "sort cards into piles of 6" shuffle a couple times, as well as a few regular shuffles, before the game. I would like to master shuffling where I don't damage the cards, though, since I'm kinda rough. :x

Do you sometimes suspect your opponent of cheating? Have you ever cheated yourself?
Not often. I generally give the benefit of the doubt. I myself have cheated back in my twelvie days, when I was proud that I would never lose. Then, one day, a friend versed me with his extravagant psychic toolbox deck that contain mythical EXs and completely destroyed me. No way I could get out of that one! Well, it did launch me into a more competitive mindset, so that's cool.

Are you a sore loser or a bad winner, or both? How is your sportmanship.
I like to think I'm both a winner and a loser with sportsmanship. Though, I tend to be fairly quiet after winning, so I'm not sure what that comes across. I congratulate my opponent when I lose and if there's something I really liked about their deck or playstyle, I will generally compliment that.

How do you feel within the Pokémon TCG community?
I generally feel quite relaxed. Since I moved away from my old community and am yet to find a replacement, I still sometimes wish I was back at my past community.

And also adding a few of my own;

Is your play-style aggressive or defensive, or a mixture of both?
I'd say it probably leans more to aggressive. I do like having a bit of bulk, though, so perhaps a medium pace.

When did you first begin playing competitively?
About a year and a half ago. I got hooked at a Prerelease of all things.

are you a reckless or a careful player, do you plan ahead or act in the moment?
I'm kinda both, It really depends on the situationl at hand whether i risk something or go slow and plan ahead.

How strict are you when your opponent makes a mistake, do you make a lot of mistakes yourself?

In tournament im pretty strict, but in leaque/friendly matches i'll point it out just to help them prevent making that mistake twice, i sometimes make mistakes myself, especially when i use a new deck xD

How do you choose your deck? Do you look at your favorite Pokémon, top tiers or is there a budget involved?

I tend to pick a high-ish tier deck, but only if i truly like how the deck plays (a.k.a kyogre waterbox)

Do you check the cards that are being played often? (Your opponent's hand, their discard pile, your remaining cards etc.)

Heck yeah xD. Knowing what has been played is a key to victory in my opinion

How do you shuffle your deck? Are you a master or a klutz (like me)

I'm a big klutz in general so.....xD

I use losses to improve myself and wins are the result of that improvement, so i guess i have good sportmanship. i also tend to cheer for people im up against xD

Quite happy! i can't go to a leaque much due to internship + school, but the dutch pokemon community in general is awesome imo x3​

I often suspect my opponent of having some game changing card in their hand, so if a mistake can cost me the game then I play carefully. If I'm ahead and setup though, I'll make reckless plays.

Aside from M Mewtwo, I don't really like playing the decks that everyone else plays. So usually I pick rogue decks instead.

Do you check the cards that are being played often?
I check the discard often, though admittedly I sometimes let it get out of hand and take too long. XD

How do you shuffle your deck? Are you a master or a klutz?
Klutz forever! \o/

Do you sometimes suspect your opponent of cheating? Have you ever cheated yourself?
I'll suspect something from them if they're known for cheating. I cheated once, but that was in a fun match against my brother back before I got into competitive play. I wanted to show off a Primal Kyogre that he had no idea I had, but the only way for me to have done that at the time was to use Archie and I couldn't pull it off without a little help. :p

I think I'm pretty good when it comes to losing. If I'm playing against a friend then I might be a bad winner if I win, but I'm usually pretty quiet about it.

Around here I feel it's a little cliquey if you're not good, but other than that I feel pretty good. Barely anyone I know likes Pokemon, let alone the card game, so it's nice to be around other people that actually know about it.

are you a reckless or a careful player, do you plan ahead or act in the moment?

I plan ahead as much as this luck-based game allows me to.
  • How strict are you when your opponent makes a mistake, do you make a lot of mistakes yourself?
If it's for funsies, I will always give my opponent a do over. In a tournament setting, never.
  • How do you choose your deck? Do you look at your favorite Pokémon, top tiers or is there a budget involved?
All of those are factors. I am not going to waste time taking a deck to a tournament that I think has no chance of doing well, no matter how many of my favorite Pokemon are in it. I like playing decks that can beat the top decks, which is why I love Scizor so much right now.
  • Do you check the cards that are being played often? (Your opponent's hand, their discard pile, your remaining cards etc.)
Not as often as I probably should. I will check it if I am looking for a specific card count, but normally I don't keep track too much.
I do one pile shuffle and eleventy billion riffle shuffles because pile shuffling is garbage shuffling. I do the pile because everyone else does, really.
  • Do you sometimes suspect your opponent of cheating? Have you ever cheated yourself?
Only for coin flips. Some of those die rolls are really suspect. I have never cheated.
I am gracious no matter whether I win or lose. I won a LC, fighting two decks my deck struggles against, because three out of my four opponents had awful draws. I apologized to them after the fight and at least let them know that I knew I was lucky and I shouldn't have won so easily. I haven't had much high level play but I try not to get too salty about it.
I don't have a dedicated testing group, so my involvement in the community as a whole is very minor.

I'm a very careful player. The decks I tend to build are very complex and have a lot of moving part. For example, I play 0-1 Professor Sycamore in my decks because I can't afford to discard a handful of cards that make the deck work. My decks tend to not be "throw the deck at the opponent" but something that requires careful planning. I like to have something to help with everything I can come across. I like to plan ahead and setup traps if I can but sometimes nuking something is always a good option.

My deck choice starts with my favorite Pokemon and then goes from there. Now I won't really sacrifice a deck concept for the sake of using them. I use Golduck BREAK and Octillery despite actually liking those Pokemon but they allow me to play a deck with Pidgeot EX, Vaporeon EX, EX Legendary Bird Pokemon, Lugia EX, Ho-Oh EX and a Zangoose if they get around to printing a card with it.

I find it important to know what resources are spent so I can figure out how to play my game. Since players are so loose with their resources, thanks to Sycamore, its always nice to know how many VS Seekers are played and how many Stadium cards they have left. If I see they have 3 Seekers and 2 Lycandre in the discard pile, I can make more risky plays because they have to play their last Seeker to move a Pokemon or draw more cards.

Somewhat in between but I do have bad shuffling habits.

I don't really suspect people of cheating. If they do then I report it but I don't go into every game thinking my opponent is cheating or trying to. I have never cheated though I had issues with card rulings before but nothing intentional.

Are you a sore loser or a bad winner, or both? How is your sportsmanship.
I'm not a sore loser but I hate losing to things I can't control. This is pretty much the only way I lose. Don't hit supporters, got a dead hand or just locked from playing. I get super salty when an opponent says GG and offers a hand shake when I got to do nothing but draw pass. Those people can just shove it. When I win, I don't rub it in my opponents face. I just offer a GG if the game was good and wish them luck in their next round. I also do the same if the game was good and I lost. I also consider good sportsmanship not showing up to a tournament with Night March or some really annoying control deck designed to frustrate players.

Overall, its a community... I guess... If I compared it to Yu-Gi-Oh then I would say its much better. You are less likely to get ripped off in trades and have your things stolen. The Pokemon community generally wants to help its players and are normally very welcoming to newer players. There are still those toxic players that are in it for the money and winning but to me, using Pokemon you love and sharing them with the community is what Pokemon is about. Sure winning is still an important part of the community but you can tell when someone is having fun with it or just going through the motions. I didn't get this feeling from Yugioh with all the years I've played the game. For example, I had a 500 dollar deck stolen in Yu-Gi-Oh (pre ban list) and in Pokemon, I lost a deck box full of ex Emerald foil energy card and I had each of them returned to me the next time I went to league. The Pokemon community is just more honest.

I started collecting Pokémon TCG in base set, but I didn't really play then. I desperately wanted to, but none of the other people collecting wanted to give two shits about learning the excessively simple task of learning how to play. I always bought cards to play. Not to collect. And so I gave up around when Team Rocket expansion came out, and moved on to Magic: the Gathering, which I played for 12+ years.

In that time, I found myself a combo type player. I don't enjoy straightforward strategies. I like to have stuff moving around, manipulating and micromanaging a lot of things.

So when I came back to Pokémon, it was hard to find a deck to play. I'm sure I was the first person to use Roaring Skies Shedinja with Mew-EX, not that that matters, but I take pride in coming up with combos that are exhilarating to use. Celebi XY93 with bursting balloon/ rock guard. Stuff like that. Compared to the combos M:tG has, these are pretty pedestrian, but the best I can do given the material.

I'm neither careful or reckless, my decisions can range between both extremes based on what I think is right in the moment, based on a risk vs. reward calculation.

I'm forgiving of players making mistakes.

I don't give much credence to "top tier lists" except for strictly an overview of the meta and what to beat. I make all my own decks and will never copy a deck made by someone else. I like showing up to games with a deck nobody expects, which does win me games, though it can also cost me games on pure dumb bad luck. A lot of my decks have an achilles heel that, if I come up against 1 particular card, it's all over. Most of the time this card is Rough Seas (right now) - a card I loathe as it should be banned (kills damage spread win condition just like Lysandre's Trump Card kills decking out win condition)

I never cheat and if I have a suspicion of my opponent I give the benefit of the doubt the first time.

Winning and losing are the same to me. As long as it's not a bad game where I lose or win because of a bad shuffle and nothing else, I'm happy as long as I learn something. I'm more sore if I just played against a boring deck. Like one that is entirely built around stalling. I would most likely not play against someone again that has a deck that is anti-fun with lacking win condition.

Oops, missed a question! So at the risk of annoying people who already read this, going to pull a George Lucas and make a lot of changes. I am not removing any information or the like, just fixing typos, revising paragraphs so they read better, etc. ;)

...are you a reckless or a careful player, do you plan ahead or act in the moment?

Setting the tone for this post, I am "both" as I bounce between extremes. If I should be a little desperate, I tend to be disproportionately reckless; I mean I am the kind of guy who ran a copy of Gambler back in the day (in case I had a hand that was too good to discard with Professor Oak). On the other hand, I'll plan out moves ahead of time, but not in appropriate detail; s'almost like I forget its a two player game and N is probably going to change my hand anyway. XD

The big thing to understand is that, for sure at a global level and possibly even at the local level (by now), I'm average at best. Maybe even "below average". I am not hopeless, but take what I just said and combine it with a high propensity for going on tilt when things go bad, or getting to excited and rushing to the point I forget things when things are going well... which really are two sides of the same problem.

It has been quite some time since I played "IRL": I've been a PTCGO player for the past few years, and before was too busy or broke to play at say a local League. A lot of my play experience has been online, starting with programs like Apprentice, later RedShark, and only now settling on the PTCGO since its official and lets me come as close as I can to really being a part of the game. I can (and will) go back to those older times, which is more like 2001 to 2005: I started back in 1999, but that was just at school or with friends. Even then, it would vary depending upon the specifics, which I assume is the norm for most players: the lower the stakes, the more lenient I tend to be. At League I would be inclined to allow "take backs" and even at at a Pre-Release, I recall helping new players often in the early rounds, going so far as to help one or two of them beat me. Of course, that may not have been completely intentional, as I probably didn't realize how much I was helping them until "Wait a minute, I'm now losing!" entered my head.

For tournament play in Constructed Formats, I am much less forgiving, especially the higher you go. I wish I could say it was not because there are prizes on the line, but I can't. In addition to that, though, I really do have higher expectations of my opponents here: a legitimate part of winning is "not losing", so if you want to earn the win, you need to avoid misplays, which includes my own misplays I mentioned earlier. I am uncertain how strict I would be now that I only play via the PTCGO. I think at one time you may have been able to allow a take back, but most of the time either it hasn't been an option or there was an "Undo" button that didn't care whether you wanted to allow a takeback or not. I explained some of my own issues, plus more that could easily be mistaken for subtle cheating. For example forgetting if I did X and so asking my opponent if I had; this is an easy way to intentionally cheat as if your opponent doesn't remember or is mistaken, you can do X twice! So while I want people to be forgiving of such things, I probably should encourage them to call me on it (so I can break such habits) and not be as lenient about the matter myself when (again) my opponents do such things.

All of the above, plus a little bit more. WotC came up with profiles for the major kinds of TCG players and called them Spike, Johnny, and Timmy. Spike is focused on winning and being competitive, Johnny wants to pull off clever (especially novel) strategies, and Timmy plays what he likes (usually big, "kewl" cards). I used to hate on Spikes because I misunderstood the concept; it isn't winning for the sake of winning, but using the game to test's oneself. Johnny and Timmy do want to win as well, but its less important to them; basically if they win how they wanted to play 40 to 60% of the time, they'll be content, while if a Spike is winning 90% of the time, he will only be content if that is still an improvement and after careful scrutiny, there really wasn't anything else he could do about it. ^^'

Few players are purely a single one of these types, though such players do exist. I want to win, but prefer to avoid strategies I don't enjoy. As I've been using examples, how about another: I love control/lock decks but I've barely been using them since they became so easy. Too easy, in my opinion. Either they should take so much skill to implement that by the time my opponent is left helpless, he or she feels no worse than if I'd won through Prizes or another means, or they should be "soft" enough of locks that my opponent has a legitimate chance of fighting on, and won't be stuck drawing and passing (or doing a few token actions) each turn.

I like discovering new strategies and perfecting old ones, and some Pokémon are favorites I really enjoy using them even if they aren't too good, but there is a limit to this. I think Pokémon pretty much passed it 10 years ago, if not sooner. So mostly I want a deck with a legitimate chance of winning (all other factors being equal between me and my opponent), with some indulgence for preferences or interesting strategies.

I check them but far less often than I ought to and it has cost me plenty of games. With the physical game its mostly just being lazy as I don't want to have to ask my opponent to let me look through his or her discard pile. On the PTCGO I can do so without asking and with just a few clicks, but even there I'm still doing it far less often than I should.

I begin and end with just a standard shuffle, with blind pile shuffling in between. I too am a klutz and have not only seen others damage cards with a careless shuffle, but have done so myself. Not just "little" damage, but "You can no longer play this card because at the last second it turned sideways and you folded it in half. =P" kind of accidents.

Because I like to hold myself accountable, I will admit that for a few weeks (maybe months) back in like 2001 I was guilty of weaving my deck. I failed to grasp the concept that shuffling was about sufficient randomization, where clumps and and droughts happen, and not about a streamlined flow of cards. Saying it now it sounds even more obvious than it ought to have been back then! So back then I realized I should not know the specific card on top of my deck, but I thought it not only okay but preferable to take steps to avoid clumping and droughts of particular card Types: better game for all of us that way, right? As I was running decks that were almost even on Pokémon, Trainers, and Energy at the time (or maybe 25% Pokémon, 50% Trainer, 25% Energy) I would spread them evenly in my deck after randomizing them individually.

Thankfully
a more experienced, competent player caught me and pointed out I was cheating, explaining why. Unfortunately I'd given bad advice to a few new players at League before being straightened out. Oops. >.> If they remained, I am sure one of us (including myself) straightened them out.

Yes I have suspected my opponent of cheating, but since I've mostly been playing online the last several years (and the PTCGO the last two), I don't recall the details. Plus with the PTCGO, its almost never actual cheating. ;)

I am certain I have cheated, but either my memory over is hazy, I just cannot bear to recount specific details, or I cannot bring myself to acknowledge it was cheating and not a "mistake"; most likely a combination of the latter two. This is in addition to the weaving incident recounted above. Overall people in Pokémon are quite trusting, and reasonably honest themselves. However the more opportunities you have to cheat, the easier it is to do so and the greater the temptation becomes. Even someone so honest that he or she is only going to cheat one in 10,000 times is going to have to buck the odds after 10 or so years. ;)

Admitting to cheating is quite difficult; even when caught dead to rights it is so easy to claim it was a mistake or misunderstanding, and indeed to rationalize or otherwise convince yourself that you were not cheating. I am not accusing anyone here who claims they have never cheated; if your memory and conscience are clear, kudos! I will warn you that you will have to work incredibly hard to remain free of cheating if you keep playing the game. Also don't just count blatant, obvious cheats but subtle things, that blurry line between an excited or anxious player getting a ruling wrong in his or her own favor, and it being an honest mistake versus an intentional skewing so turn a loss into a win.

Anyway, it should come as no surprise after this confession that I encourage players to always investigate potential cheating, at least within reason. Don't worry about elaborate sting operations, but show due diligence with all the places the rules give you the chance. Always take the opportunity to cut/shuffle the opponent's deck, use your opponent's randomize if his or her luck seems too good, pay attention to sleeves for markings, etc. Be aware of your own stuff as well; having a marked card is an easy intentional cheat as well as an easy bit of unfortunate, accidental wear and tear. I think I just made the argument for being more strict with myself and anyone else who wishes to be a "serious" player; it is easy to slip into bad habits in casual play that then carry over to the competitive scene!

I am a better than loser and winner than I once was, but not as good as it ought to be given how long I've been playing. Most of my games being online is a mixed blessing in this regard. Even if I lose my temper for a moment in real life, my opponent isn't subjected to it. Same if I'm suddenly all cocky. I have to type it out or do something in the game for it to spill over. On the other hand, the PTCGO makes it quite easy to lose your temper, and be rude with almost no effort. The obvious is rage quitting, made easier than in real life because you don't have to look your opponent in the face, maybe will never even come in contact with them again, and for sure you don't have to actually pick up your cards.

Then there are the "weird" things. The PTCGO has a swear filter, and even if it didn't your opponent can easily report you for anything resembling an attempt at cussing them out, openly taunting them, etc. This is not a bad thing (well, the filer is far too sensitive and that is a bad thing), but just like in elementary school people find ways around it. My pet peeve is when someone wishes "good game" or "gg". Best case scenario, it just shows they are a little dense about manners, likely it just means such expressions are totally meaningless (done as pure reflex) which defeats the purpose of using them, and possibly it is done in an obvious attempt at mocking sarcasm. You know, like when you say something stupid and someone tells you you its brilliant; when you know I did not have a good game, be it from bad luck or bad plays, wishing me "gg" seems like a way to rub salt into the wound. Of course pointing it out here (let alone in the PTCGO chat) just seems like sour grapes. :oops:

Mixed (again).

I am mostly still here (part of Pokémon in general, and to some degree posting on PokéBeach) because I have a hard time letting go. I have invested so much time (and a decent chunk of money) into this game that barring a blatant sign from God that I am to quit, I'm not going anywhere. It has been a long time since I thought the game was in a "good" place, and hindsight makes me wonder if it was ever really as balanced as I once praised it for being. Better than other TCGs I've played, but I worry about this entire industry. As long as the PTCGO allows me to officially participate without spending money (just time) then I'm going to try and ride it out.

With PokéBeach itself, I've taken some unpopular positions and some folks have made it quite clear I'm not welcome because of it... or maybe I'm just too sensitive and reading something into what they've said. Others have been quite welcoming and encouraging. I know that even apart from differences in opinion and/or analysis, I am far from perfect, so I try to appreciate being here. :)

Oh and there are some mods like but not limited to @bbninjas who have been a great deal of help to me and keeping myself inline without having to stifle myself.

Last edited:
I'll be strict if I'm in a tournament large right than a league challenge or if the opponent has let go of the card.
I'll make many decks that could all be viable, then pick omen based on meta calls. I do try rogues but have only run a rogue once in a tournament which interestingly enough was worlds.
I believe it is vital to count how many cards are left in the opponents deck, how many cards there are in their hand, and what is in their discard pile.
I rifle, slam (or mash, however you like it), and power shuffle
I have poor eyesight so I sometimes see things that aren't real. I have never outright accused anyone of cheating as I don't want to make enemies, but if I ever find someone actually cheat I will call a judge.
I feel crushed when I lose, but I just smile, say "good game", and move on.
How do you feel within the Pokémon TCG community?its easy to make
It's a great community for the most part..... I'll be honest though, the higher level players have their "cliques" and will not be as welcoming, but it's easy to make other friends.

It changes through the game. If I'm trying to hold on to a lead, then I'll play be more careful. Meanwhile, if it's a close game, I have a tendency to be a little bit more reckless. I do like to plan ahead, but sometimes I act in the moment if I feel like there is something that needs to be taken care of right away.

I like to be strict in almost all settings. I believe that it helps both me and the other player consider all options in order to help minimize mistakes. I personally don't find myself making a lot of mistakes, but when I do, I tell myself (and my opponent after the game) what that mistake was, so I know not to make it in the future.

There is a budget involved because I currently have to pay for school. I enjoy being competitive, so I tend to use "high tier" decks, though using Mew when possible.

I always check the cards that have been played. I want to make sure what resources both my opponent and I may or may not have access to at any given time. Gotta have any advantage possible.

Somewhere in between I'd say. Sometimes I do the whole 6-8 pile power shuffle, and other times I do it "normally," although I do drop cards every now and again.

Are you a sore loser or a bad winner, or both? How is your sportsmanship?
Sometimes I get bitter when I lose, but only when my deck doesn't work (which happens to everyone every now and then). However, I always congratulate and shake the hand of my opponent, whether it be win, loss, or tie, and if anything in their deck stuck out to me, I comment on it.

I feel accepted by most in the community, only if I beat someone badly or "steal" a game from them do I really feel any sort of hostility.

Last edited:
I have played alot of different card games (Duel Masters, Yu-Gi-Oh, Hearthstone, Magic, Duelyst, Triple Triad) so my play style is in a best of 3 enviornment is go reckless and see how my opponent responds while seeing this I adapt to his playstyles, As if he is making a reactive play or if its the only play he had, Usually I tend to study the player and play ahead rather than w hats in my hand I would like to say i'm a careful planner but if we are being honest my play style is a gamble for that reason I see my play style as reckless.

I honestly don't mind we are all human we make mistakes nobody is perfect but if he made a very obvious mistake and tried to play it off to gain an advantage I will not stay quiet about it

I like decks that are aggressive build up fast and are methodical for example my favorite deck last season was Genesect/Bronzong had alot of different mechanics you can do and could always set up a 1HKO, For this reason i'm running Volcanion/Flareon and so far i'm loving every battle.

I only check what are becoming staples in most decks everything else will eventually be heard like night march and m ray

I'm a complete noob when it comes to shuffling :c

I'm pretty sure i'm not a sore loser because I love evaluating my mistakes and asking how his matchups usually go as for bad winner I can't really tell I usually win if they ask me a question I answer and I power shuffle till next round

I love the community it has so many competitive players and casual players, There is a place for everyone as for me I love the feeling and adrenaline rush of competition TCG community is in my top 3 for sure.

Not that strict depending on the mistake but generally not strict.
I do rouges of my favorite pokemon most of the time. I'm not into metas because it will not be your own idea. I like my own idea with decks.
I often check the discard pile in late games. checking their vs seekers and lysandres most of the time.
klutz hehe
Nah, I always give my benefit of the doubt, and not cheating will make you weak.
If I lose for me its an experience if i win its also an experience so im not getting high or low with these
I feel great in our community we're like brothers. OHANA ALL STARS!

Sorry to have done this, but I went and re-read my post and... the typos. Oh the typos! I also missed a question: it wasn't part of the bullet points, but I still read it because I read the post so that means it is still "My bad!". So I added in my answer to that question, fixed the typos I caught, and tried to revise it to read more smoothly. Pretty sure I didn't change the meaning of what I said, but I feel bad in a thread like this my post is all "Last edited". ^^'

Very reckless, I often make mistakes while playing, but it helps with me to adapt to make sure I fix those when playing in the future. I do actually plan ahead during my opponent's turn, thinking about what I'm going to do during the next turn.

Not very strict, if my opponent realizes there mistake and corrects it then, boom that scenario's done. If they make a mistake and keep going on with the game, or use a second Supporter or Shaymin-EX under the effect of Parallel City, then I get strict in those scenarios. I do make some mistakes in decks I don't know, I make very few mistakes with my main deck (M Rayquaza-EX.)

Whatever I have fun playing with. Next!

Sometimes, depends on the match up or if my opponent has a very techy deck.

I've been getting pretty good at shuffling normal, so shuffling normal!

Yeah, once I caught my opponent totally shuffling cards from their discard pile into their deck, I called a judge and won the match, plus the dude got a pretty strict lecture from the judge, it was hilarious. Sometimes I accidentally cheat, but I very rarely naturally cheating.

I'm very good at sportsmanship, I very rarely act pissy after losing, and don't brag in my opponent's face.

It's fine, nothing to bad with it, wish there was a better communication with PTCGO and the ability for the community to dictate what they feel needs to be fixed in the competitive meta. I also think it would be great for some Pokemon cards to be created by the community, but that's more so with the Pokemon Company.

Is your play-style aggressive or defensive, or a mixture of both?
I play extremely aggressive, I often love to attack with a lot of damage quickly.

When did you first begin playing competitively?
About three years ago, took a break for a year and a half, and then joined maybe a year ago.

• Reckless or Careful
Um.. mostly careful when attacking, but still have misplayso_O
Not very, most of the time just ask them like "did you draw this turn?" or something like that.
I normally look at its attack, then I look at what interesting cards go with it, then finally i ask myself "is it possible for me to get these cards":cool:
Only when it really applies to the cards I play.
Half & Half- I shuffle well normally but sometimes cards end up all over my mat.
I haven't come across anyone I distrust yet. Not yet ;)...
  • Are you a sore loser or a bad winner, or both? How is your sportsmanship.
I don't think myself as a poor sport (sometimes I do beat myself up over a misplay)
Being my first TCG I'm really happy being involved in the Pokemon community, and I can't wait every time a go to League or a Tournament.

I'm hella reckless. I discard a lot of cards in order to set up my bench in the best ways possible. Which occasionally leads to me decking out... A loss is the result when a Lysandre is wisely being used on one of my Pokémon without energy and I lack recources to pull it back. I don't feel comfortable keeping a mediocre hand hoping for the right card. That's why I use Shaymin EX and Professor Sycamore pretty much anytime they're available.

I'm not that strict really. Even at official tournaments, if my opponent makes a slip I sometimes let it pass. It doesn't feel sportive to punish players for every little mistake. I remember being a new player and making beginners mistakes while being punished very hard, I did not appreciatte that gesture T_T

I simply look at a cards potential. I'm not just looking at how good it will be when it is released, I'm also interested in the long run. If a set releases multiple competitive cards I start looking at which playstyle fits me best as well as the Pokémon and the art. Another important question is how many cards do I have in my possesion to finnish the deck? Budget is also a factor. BTW I'm a huge fan of disruption based decks. Knocking out Pokémon is boring! Watching your opponent struggle setting up is where it's at.

I'm trying to make a habit of all those points. Checking your opponent's discard pile is part of the game and not really optional. You should keep track of their VS Seekers, Lysandre's, N's and important evolutions (for example Garbodor, Vileplume or Zoroark).

Well I made that question so needless to say I'm not very good at shuffling.

I've never been caught cheating. Let's just leave it at that.

I don't really show expressions when losing or winning. I usually leave it at 'good game'. Though I must admit that sometimes, when I had no chance of winning a game from the beginning, I say something like ''Well that was an unfortunate match-up'' But I also compliment other players for a good play. So in general I consider myself a courteous loser and a modest winner.

Everyone is nice but the community feels rather close in my country, so I still feel like a newcomer even though I've been playing for a long time. It's not that I don't get along but I don't have long interesting conversations either. That's why I usually take a friend with me.

If it's a League game or casual, I'll usually just let my opponent know they made a mistake but leave it up to them if they wanna take it back or not. I make a few misplays from time to time. Generally with me being off by 10 damage or playing Shaymin under a Hex.
Top tiers + what I think would be good, and hundreds of games worth of playtesting. Budget is as far as I need to complete a deck after trading for/pulling as much of it as I can.
I think I do.
I rifle shuffle with exactly 25 shuffles each time. I feel like that gets it nice and randomized. I do it pretty fast.
I only suspect when I feel something is wrong, or if I know the person isn't a good person. (I have a 6th sense for these kind of things) I cheated a few times when I was young, but what kid didn't try to cheat at a game at one point? I am ashamed of it though, and really regret doing so.
I'm neither. I'm just happy to play. I'd say I have wonderful sportsmanship.
It's the best community I've ever been a part of! I feel very accepted. :)

Why am I the only one with a "Short" answer.... I have a feeling i'm not like everyone else... (Is that a good or bad thing?)

Inspired by a side discussion, I came up with another two questions that could prove revealing:

How much do you care about your opponent's experience*?
Are you the kind of player that feels all is fair in love, war, and gaming? Do you believe that the ideal is for the game to still be fun and entertaining, even if you lose?

How much do you care about finishing the game?
Play it out? Concede as soon as you believe it is clear you won't win? Something in between?
Was going to answer these myself but I am afraid that might bias answers. I'll chime in later if people don't ignore these. XD

*Meaning your opponent's experience while playing e.g. is your opponent enjoying his or herself

Last edited:
How much do you care about your opponent's experience?
Are you the kind of player that feels all is fair in love, war, and gaming? Do you believe that the ideal is for the game to still be fun and entertaining, even if you lose?​

I don't really care about the experience of my opponent. If they're experienced, awesome. If they aren't, that's cool too. As long as we're both trying our best and having fun.

How much do you care about finishing the game?
Play it out? Concede as soon as you believe it is clear you won't win? Something in between?

I like to play out games, because sometimes I've had opponents concede to me when I know they still have a very good chance. Heck, I've even conceded and then my opponent told me that I still had a chance because they didn't have access to a certain card. Although, if it's overly obvious that someone is going to win on their next turn, I'm not opposed to their opponent scooping for the sake of time.

Really hope these made sense and answered the questions.​

Back