• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard M-Tyranitar-EX Tool Deck

Dracul Kuro Hemming

Wicked Fighter
So, recently at League, I was watching a couple players enjoy playing against each other. One was using M Gardevoir-EX (STS), while the other was using M Tyranitar-EX. As I was looking at it, I started thinking about ideas of the old Tyranitar deck I had, which used the Bats to get more damage out. I decided I would play around with it again, now that it has new toys to play with. And I wanted to get some input on my deck so far.

Pokemon (17)
Tyranitar-EX (AOR) x4
MTyranitar-EX (AOR) x3
Shaymin-EX (ROS) x2
Sneasel (STS) x2
Weavile (STS) x2
Yveltal (STS/GEN/XY) x2
Yveltal (BKT) x2y

Supporters/Trainers (31)
Professor Sycamore x4
Lysandre x2
N x2
Skyla x1
Mega Turbo x4
VS Seeker x4
Eco Arm x2
Heavy Boots x3
Float Stone x2
EXP Share x2
Assault Vest x2
Tyranitar Spirit Link x3

Energy 12
8 Darkness Energy
4 Double Colorless Energy

So the idea is to try to use Yveltal as a good starting point for damage, using its Pitch-Black Spear to hit 60 and 60 to spread some good damage on the field to soften things up. Then I get a pumped up M-Tyranitar-EX out and can start cleaning up, taking some heavy kills hopefully while my opponent finds it difficult to get a knock out against me. I use the STS Yveltal to help get energy back from the discard, along with the Mega Turbos. Shaymin is the draw support, while Weavile has the Tear Away ability.

The top 3 Decks in my opinion have been Darkrai variants, Gardevoir variants, and MMewtwo-EX. Against M-Mewtwo-EX, I use Tear Away to help keep Assault Vests on the field. MMewtwo on average has 3-4 energy, with two of th0se being a Double Colorless Energy. Thanks to Theta Double, M-T-tar can have a pseudo-effective 320 HP if I use Double Assault Vest, or even just 280 if only 1 with something else (300 if the second tool is Heavy Boots). Counting my four energy, MMewtwo-EX needs 5 Energy in total to get a OHKO on MT-Tar (due to resistance), and adding an Assault Vest to the equation adds more energy required, which MMewtwo will be in a big gamble trying to get a OHKO. Meanwhile, assuming I've softened things up with either Yveltal, Tyranitar takes KO after KO. Against the Gardevoir variants, its a case of both sides resisting each other. But so long as I have softened things up again, I still hit KOs. Against Darkrai, I contend with both softening the EXes up so I can KO anything.

I know a couple of cards I want to try to squeeze in are Pokemon Ranger, and some Ultra Balls as well. But I wanted some input on what to take out. In my opinion, the best cards to drop would end up being 1 Sycamore, a Heavy Boots, and potentially the EXP. Share, letting me add 3 Ultra Balls and a Pokemon Ranger (as Giratina-EX would really hurt this set up.

A few comments for your consideration:
  • I'm finding the new STS Hoopa to be a great starter for my M Tyranitar deck vs. either Yveltal (BKT) or Yveltal (STS).
  • I also run a M Mewtwo-Garbodor deck and my strategy (in playing against M Tyranitar deck opponents) has been to utilize Damage Change when needed to prevent the M Ttar 1HKO opportunities. so, you may want to incorporate a few counter Stadiums.
  • You may also want to consider incorporating 1 Hex Maniac too; otherwise a Safeguard Ability Pokémon could just "wall" you for a potential game win, despite your Yveltals.

When I add Weavile to my Zygarde deck, I like to keep my tools at no more than 6, to maintain consistency. I see 12 in your list (although you can have two attached, but that's risking a ton of dead draws. I would keep your Sycamores at 4 to keep powering through your deck, especially since you have 2 Eco Arms for backup.

-1 EXP Share
-1 Heavy Boots
-2 Yveltal BKT
-2 Yvetal STS

+ 4 Ultra Ball
+1 Hex Maniac
+1 [Open Spot/Delinquent, since you don't run Staduims]

I haven't played this deck myself, so you will know what you can afford to cut better than me, but I would suggest cutting another Boots for another extra space of you need it. If you play carefully, you shouldn't have trouble rotating around your one-of tools (or removing them when you are going to unavoidably be KO'd). These are just my thoughts. I've been toying around with a Tyranitar/Weavile deck, it looks like a fun one.

Interesting I'd never thought of Weavile with Mega Ty.... STS Hoopa hits the active for 30 with a FFB.... I've had the most success with Spinda, Hoopa, and the bats. I'd be interested in knowing if anyone has ever tried Trev Break. Seems like that would be a great starter but I don't have any of the breaks and would like some input before I go invest in them.

Back