Strategy S&M Data Mining Thread

PG24

<Pride> I'm my wildest fantasy
Advanced Member
This post will be updated as more information is found in the demos. Everything will be kept in spoiler tags to keep those who wish not to be spoiled safe. Keep this thread competitive; casual discussion has its own forum.

>Ash-Greninja has a stat spread of 72/145/67/153/71/132
>Battle Bond boosts the power of Water Shuriken
>Water Shuriken is now a special move
>Z Move Power varies depending on the base move. Gigavolt Havoc from Thunderbolt is 175 base power
>paralysis now reduces Speed to 50% as opposed to 25%
>Psychic Terrain: Pokemon on the ground will not be hit by priority moves for 5 turns
>Throat Chop: Pokemon cannot use any moves that produce sound for two turns
>Aurora Veil: halves the power of physical and special moves for five turns
>Laser Focus: next move is guaranteed tocrit

[21:47] <&SciresM> unavailable pokemon have been stubbed out using pikachu's base stats

IT'S OVER

Last edited:
Paralysis has apparently been nerfed. It now reduces speed to 50% as opposed to 25%. Example given was that a paralysed Greninja with 130 speed was able to putspeed a 58 Speed Pikachu but was outsped by a 67 Speed Pikachu. Anyone with the demo willing to confirm?

Apparently Game Freak didn't do a good job scrubbing the demo as previously reported. No idea what exactly that could mean, but hopefully it's names, types, and abilities.

Anybody interested in some mined shinies??
IMG_1513.PNG

Oh and it's a screenshot from a video make from one of the data-miners

New moves:
>Psychic Terrain: Pokemon on the ground will not be hit by priority moves for 5 turns
>Throat Chop: Pokemon cannot use any moves that produce sound for two turns
>Aurora Veil: halves the power of physical and special moves for five turns
>Laser Focus: next move is guaranteed to crit

Mined shinies don't really give us much to discuss for competitive play. ; )

Oh well would you look at that, I didn't even read what forum this was under...

I guess I should rename the thread title soon so it's less misleading. It probably would be a good idea for someone to create a thread in the casual forum for all the leaks that drop.

The paralysis nerf is the most interesting thing so far, imo. Considering how many players believe Thunder-Wave is the best move in OU, I wonder what would be the implications of that nerf on this move. Also, there are lot of weapons against priority moves. That Psychic Terrain would be useful in VGC.
BTW, I am not sure if this is from the demo, but I saw a video explains that Parental Bond got nerfed as well. Can anyone confirm that?

This is the game with the most consideration of competitive players I have seen.

The paralysis nerf is the most interesting thing so far, imo. Considering how many players believe Thunder-Wave is the best move in OU, I wonder what would be the implications of that nerf on this move. Also, there are lot of weapons against priority moves. That Psychic Terrain would be useful in VGC.
BTW, I am not sure if this is from the demo, but I saw a video explains that Parental Bond got nerfed as well. Can anyone confirm that?

This is the game with the most consideration of competitive players I have seen.
I actually think the opposite. The presence of Psychic Terrain has absolutely killed competitive VGC. I think that with the advent of Talonflame, GameFreak forgot that priority was an entirely necessary mechanic before it existed too. No priority means no Fake Out, no Prankster. It seems like it'll centralise so that if your team uses priority you're gonna need a Prankster Taunt to target whichever opponent has Psychic Terrain, and that's probably just gonna be a Sableye, meaning counters to Sableye will become more popular on every team and therefore priority in general will die out. This makes battles more basic, with less depth.

Not super into that new move addition, ngl. Although I do like the nerf to paralysis' speed drop, because the speed drop can be gotten rid of with a Tailwind, making that move more viable but not necessary like Psychic Terrain.

I actually think the opposite. The presence of Psychic Terrain has absolutely killed competitive VGC. I think that with the advent of Talonflame, GameFreak forgot that priority was an entirely necessary mechanic before it existed too. No priority means no Fake Out, no Prankster. It seems like it'll centralise so that if your team uses priority you're gonna need a Prankster Taunt to target whichever opponent has Psychic Terrain, and that's probably just gonna be a Sableye, meaning counters to Sableye will become more popular on every team and therefore priority in general will die out. This makes battles more basic, with less depth.

Not super into that new move addition, ngl. Although I do like the nerf to paralysis' speed drop, because the speed drop can be gotten rid of with a Tailwind, making that move more viable but not necessary like Psychic Terrain.

Or.. you simply use your own Terrain move. :)

That single Terrain move just gave the other Terrain moves more viability.

Yes, Parental Bond was nerfed to 25%.

Aurora Veil is the scariest move in my opinion. It's basically Light Screen and Reflect rolled into one move. I've seen some speculate that it's Popplio's signature move, but that doesn't mean it can't be given to something else. Give this thing to Latios or Azelf (Momento and Explosion) and you would have access to one of the best hyper offense leads in the game. Deoxys is also a possible candidate since it fits thematically. No doubt this also benefits stall.

Psychic Terrain can probably be set automatically by one of the Island Guardians. Topo Koko can already set Electric Terrain. The data miners just unearthed we're getting three more in addition to Topo Koko.

Thunderwave's accuracy has dropped from 100 to 90.

There's been a concentrated effort to nerf paralysis these past two generations. It never seemed like too much of a problem compared to other statuses.

Just noticed an indirect buff: Accelgor. It has access to Water Shuriken, but lacked a way to use it until now. It's still a weak move, but at least it's something.

Ash-Greninja is nasty...

- Timid 252/252 spread hits 405 SpA and 399 Speed. Outran by M-Manectric, M-Lopunny, M-Alakazam.
- Modest 252/252 spread hits 445 SpA and 363 Speed, still enough to get by Starmie.

Keep in mind that it doesn't take up a Mega slot and can run Life Orb / Choice Specs.

It's a really interesting Pokemon. Against most offensive threats you can sacrifice a Pokemon to get in the revenge kill and grab back momentum, but against this thing that will be the losing move. It's like a version of Moxie that retains the boost upon switching out.

Given that you can't really sack against it, I guess this pressures teams to pack a robust counter against the vanilla form. This is a tall order for offense.

Keep in mind that, right now, Ash-Greninja is locked to a neutral nature.

Also, Power Up Punch is no longer a TM so Mega Kangaskhan is going to be much less terrifying in VGC because it can't get the move within Alola.

Keep in mind that, right now, Ash-Greninja is locked to a neutral nature.

Also, Power Up Punch is no longer a TM so Mega Kangaskhan is going to be much less terrifying in VGC because it can't get the move within Alola.
Mine's Hasty, actually. I think it's different per demo? Being Hasty is really big as it's a +Speed Nature that lets you run whichever attacking stat you want, giving you options for coverage.

Smeargle's back. VGC is screwed again.

Can someone confirm that Confusion has been nerfed as well? From what I saw in a YouTube video, it is now lasts less turns or something like that.

(estimated) stats and other information from the early leaks we've got, information is from 4chan and Smogon:

>Decidueye - Grass/Ghost - 85 / 105 / 80 / 105 / 105 / 65
>A-Dugtrio is Ground/Steel
>Spirit Shackle is as strong as Shadow Ball and physical, but it's stuck on Decidueye so lol
>unconfirmed leaks from a poster who identified pikipek 3 as Toucannon prior to the leak images being posted
---- pikipek to trumbeak to toucannon
---- tons of pokemon got boosts
---- GENGAR LOST LEVITATE
---- Gigalith with Sand Stream, Vanilluxe with Snow Warning

ZeXDogx.jpg

xV9COAj.jpg

RIP Decidueye being competitively viable. Also I'm honestly surprised by the Gengar nerf, didn't see it coming.

Wishiwashi and Salazzle are the only ones of those 6 with competitive potential. Wishiwashi seems terrifying if it can overcome that speed. It starts the battle in school form and reverts to solo form at 25% HP.

Why is everything so slow this gen?

They really went all out to make everything slow. Inciniroar is hilarious in the way its Speed drops off a cliff. At least it's decently distributed and not all dumped into offenses like a certain starter we got this gen.

Primarina looks good, but its a shame it doesn't have recovery.

Decidueye can hit Ferrothorn and Garchomp with no regrets, which is situational at best. This tging needed a great HA and it missed.

Leech Life raised to 80 BP. It's also a TM.

Dark Void is now 50% Accuracy. I would argue Darkrai for OU, but 135 SAtk / 125 Speed with Nasty Plot and good coverage is still a frightening combo.

Why did they make Leech Life so good? Also sad to see Inciniroar has a horrid speed stat, at least it's got Flame Charge...

Back