Discussion No 3rd legendary & just 1 mythical , So GEN 8 coming soon !!!

Celever

Wheeeee~
Even if Generation VIII is the game directly after Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon in the chronological main series, we haven't had a generation without a pair of remakes since they were first introduced in Generation III, and never has the remake been on the console after the main two games for that generation, except Generation V, but B2W2 are anomalies in more ways than one and act as more of a remake of Unova than anything else. If we do get an annual release, it will be in 2017, and probably for the 3DS. Generation VIII won't be released before 2018 at the earliest, but honestly it's probably going to be in 2019, because XY is what happens when generations are rushed out and I think GameFreak has recognised that with the slower release of Sun/Moon than people were anticipating.

A game with Marshadow itself as its mascot wouldn't be unreasonable at all though, and could very conceivably happen.

Chrswrites

Aspiring Trainer
Don't forget that the full games might have more Pokemon in them than we think right now.

The NX is the next Wii U and the Pokemon Core Games are always released on hand helds...

garbodorable

Aspiring Trainer
Don't forget that the full games might have more Pokemon in them than we think right now.

The NX is the next Wii U and the Pokemon Core Games are always released on hand helds...

The NX is widely rumoured to be a handheld that can dock and connect to a TV.

I still don't know how much stock to put in the rumour of a main-series Pokemon game coming to NX in its first year, just because GF usually lags behind and sticks to consoles that still have a wide install base. But if a Pokemon NX game is in the works, it makes the most sense for it to be a third version of S&M, or enhanced versions of S&M, or something else that interacts with Gen 7, but not Gen 8. The Alola region would look really nice in HD!

There's no way I see two gens launching that close together. As much as we may be disappointed in the number of new Pokemon this gen, I can still believe it took them 2-3 years to make. A lot of work goes into the region, characters, scenarios, new gameplay modes, and so on; new Pokemon are far from the only thing they worry about. Plus they'll be developing for an entire new platform, unless they put 3 straight generations on the same hardware.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I highly doubt we're just moving straight to 8th gen after Sun and Moon. It wouldn't make a whole lot of sense to. Generations pretty much lose their meaning if there's only one game, the whole concept of a generation is meant to define a broader era for the series. A self-contained generation just doesn't make a lot of sense. And if they didn't intend to have multiple 7th gen games, why the rush to move on to 7th gen in the first place? They could've easily stuck out 6th gen another year with Z instead. The fact that they went to the trouble of starting a new generation just before the NX is being released implies that we probably won't be seeing a main series game on it as soon as we'd like.

More than likely, I think we'll just have one more 7th gen game next year and then in 2018/2019 we see 8th gen debut on the NX. That would just make the most sense based on their track record. What that game is, IDK (hopefully Kalos. Kalos needs an upgrade like there's no tomorrow), but I do think there's going to be some sort of additional 7th gen game on the 3DS in 2017.

Even if Generation VIII is the game directly after Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon in the chronological main series, we haven't had a generation without a pair of remakes since they were first introduced in Generation III, and never has the remake been on the console after the main two games for that generation, except Generation V, but B2W2 are anomalies in more ways than one and act as more of a remake of Unova than anything else.

Eh, I'm not entirely convinced the next game will be a remake. It's possible, maybe they could do something with Kanto again, but I think anything else would be bad timing. Every other game has had a release either on DS or 3DS, so you could see the justification for a revisit to Kanto, but beyond that I think the only logical choices for the next game would be Kalos or Alola (depending on what Sun and Moon does).

I still don't know how much stock to put in the rumour of a main-series Pokemon game coming to NX in its first year, just because GF usually lags behind and sticks to consoles that still have a wide install base. But if a Pokemon NX game is in the works, it makes the most sense for it to be a third version of S&M, or enhanced versions of S&M, or something else that interacts with Gen 7, but not Gen 8. The Alola region would look really nice in HD!

The problem with that approach is that it'd cause compatibility issues, either they'd need to find some ways for the two systems to communicate with each other (which isn't always possible) or they'd have to break compatibility between games of the same generation. It's just a lot simpler for them to transition to new hardware on a new generation, where they can create a clean break from past games.

This seems like another 5th gen situation where we'll be playing on last gen hardware for a while while we're waiting for Game Freak to transition to next gen. Remember how we got BW2 on the DS when the DS was pretty much dead? It's looking like the same scenario all over again.

Last edited:

Lorde

♕ The Queen ♕
Well, the possibility of Generation IV remakes hasn't been ruled out either. That could very possibly be the second game for Generation VII. However, this Generation is so different, I feel as if they're gonna put a little more work into it. Such as a Pokemon Eclipse version featuring Marshadow. Above all though, if it could happen, then I'd want both of these games.

TheRealBro..

A game with Marshadow itself as its mascot wouldn't be unreasonable at all though, and could very conceivably happen.

That seems the most logical to me. We never got Pokemon Z after XY, while everyone expected it. Now, less people would expect a Z-like game (perhaps) but I think that is exactly what they will do. Build a third game around the third somewhat mysterious legendary (Marshadow). I think this is the baby form, and there is the bigger form to be found. ''Pokemon Eclipse?'' (That sounds rather stupid but.. )

Gen 8 won't happen before 2019 is my guess, and I hope that's true, because rushing generations doesn't do the franchise any good. I like this gen already a lot so let's give it some time!

Aah, Pokemon Eclipse was already mentioned I see. Well, that makes two!

Mitja

veteran smartass
@le remakes

Please no.. does anyone even think they're a good idea at this point?

1. Gen4 remakes
since we did gen3 last time, this seems logical, right? But wait, no, it's absurd. The remakes of the first games, FRLG, are currently the most outdated games, so how would it even make sense to remake games that are less old than the oldest remakes?

and on top of that, I do NOT want "remakes" of Gen4 as we are used to. In other words, copy-pasted DP with a short retconed Platinum-episode... either make proper sequels or don't touch Sinnoh at all.

2. yet another return to Kanto
I'm soooooo tired of the genwun focus in the last few years of the franchise. Seriously. I thought it was sort of okay that XY was heavy on Kanto references (after gen5 tried to be completely fresh)... well, they crossed the line when they threw Gen1 starters in your face after the first gym, while also giving THEM mega evolutions, completely stealing the spotlight of thew gen6 starters in their own debut game!
Then we got the whole 20 anniversary thing, which also, instead of celebrating the franchise as a whole, focused way too hard on celebrating gen1. They even released VC versions of the original games, and plan to make them compatible with new games.
And now with Sun and Moon, they introduced such an amazing and wished for feature, regional variations, only to then use it exclusively for gen1 pokemon.. on top of that, the regionalDEX of Alola goes something like this: 1/3 gen7, 1/3 gen1, 1/3 gens2-6.
A return to Kanto is the absolute last thing we need right now (even if it was basically a RBY+GSC sequel that starts in Kanto and ends in Johto 20 years after the events of gen1+2, we have enough Kanto...)

I'm still waiting for Unova to get its "Johto" for example, but 2 generations later, I feel like Gamefreak would rather pretend gen5 never existed for some reason, and it's kind of depressing.
A more reasonable wish was for a generation like Gen4, which would have expanded evolutionary lines for all generations, but not even that seems like a plausible possibility now....except when it's eeveelutions, because what else would anyone want, right? xD....

I really have no idea where they're going... probably just making ~70ish generations one after another, full of nostalgia milking features? To be honest I miss "third versions", and thought BW2 was the superior replacement of that standard...however they chose to scrap both of those ideas completely in favor of "unfinished" games? Let's see how complete or incomplete SunMoon will feel and then get back to this.

Last edited:

Gruffling

Aspiring Trainer
Diamond and Pearl don't feel old enough for remakes yet. Ruby and Sapphire were GBA games which is old as the hills. The remakes seem to be done 2 consoles later GB - GBA, GBC - DS, GBA - 3DS.

I sorely miss cross-generational evolutions it was such a wonderful highlight of gen 4, but I guess if it isnt gen 1 it doesnt matter anymore.

yammark

Aspiring Trainer

Such as a Pokemon Eclipse version featuring Marshadow. Above all though, if it could happen, then I'd want both of these games.

Gamefreak is already said they don't want to make a sequel for main serie anymore . XY have no sequel is the proof of that .

The next reason that I think Gen 8 is coming soon is Marshadow is the only left mythical Pokemon from gen 7 . Ultra Beast can't be a mascot in Pokemon movie because no kid going to watch the creepy creature in movie . So...
" 2017 Pokemon Movie - Marshadow as a mascot (feature Solgalio,Lunala) "
" 2018 Pokemon Movie - mythical Pokemon from Gen 8 as mascot "

At this point I believe Gen 8 can't be late more than 2018 .

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I'm still waiting for Unova to get its "Johto" for example, but 2 generations later, I feel like Gamefreak would rather pretend gen5 never existed for some reason, and it's kind of depressing.

How would 5th gen even benefit from a Johto treatment? The region seems to work well as a standalone region and beyond the updates to the graphics and new forms there's really not much they could add to the games, and even then that's something they could easily handle with a standard remake.

If there's any region that needs the Johto treatment, it's Kalos. Kalos is sorely lacking in content and identity, has an incomplete storyline and region, and in general XY seems to be hinting towards something greater.

A more reasonable wish was for a generation like Gen4, which would have expanded evolutionary lines for all generations, but not even that seems like a plausible possibility now....except when it's eeveelutions, because what else would anyone want, right? xD....

The interesting question with DP remakes is going to be whether or not they'll introduce Sinnoh Forms in the game. Considering that ORAS gave us new Megas, it's certainly plausible, and that could be a good way to up the ante from previous remakes. There's really not much else for them to add anyway, the only cross gen evolution since then is Sylveon so it's not as if there's new Pokemon to add.

Gamefreak is already said they don't want to make a sequel for main serie anymore . XY have no sequel is the proof of that .

Game Freak has said no such thing. All they said is that people would be expecting Z after XY and that they're tying it together in "unique ways", that's not an explicit deconfirmation that they're not making another Kalos game. The transition from 6th gen to 7th gen has certainly been odd, but Kalos hasn't truly been ruled out yet.

Gruffling

Aspiring Trainer
The interesting question with DP remakes is going to be whether or not they'll introduce Sinnoh Forms in the game. Considering that ORAS gave us new Megas, it's certainly plausible, and that could be a good way to up the ante from previous remakes. There's really not much else for them to add anyway, the only cross gen evolution since then is Sylveon so it's not as if there's new Pokemon to add.

The only way I can see Sinnoh Forms working is if they took inspiration from Platinum and then doubled down on Sinnoh being a cold region. I think any region to have regional variants needs a standout climate.

Incidentally, after ORAS it kind of feels like two tropical games in a row.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
The only way I can see Sinnoh Forms working is if they took inspiration from Platinum and then doubled down on Sinnoh being a cold region. I think any region to have regional variants needs a standout climate.

Incidentally, after ORAS it kind of feels like two tropical games in a row.

Not necessarily. Sinnoh is a very mountainous region so we could see a lot of Pokemon adapt to rougher terrain. Certainly the colder climate could be part of it, but it doesn't necessarily need to be because of the cold.

I also had a specific idea for Sinnoh Flygon that it adapts to the marshlands around Pastoria and becomes Bug/Dragon. That'd be a great addition to the Sinnoh Dex, Sinnoh could use more Dragons.

Mitja

veteran smartass
Not necessarily. Sinnoh is a very mountainous region so we could see a lot of Pokemon adapt to rougher terrain. Certainly the colder climate could be part of it, but it doesn't necessarily need to be because of the cold.

I also had a specific idea for Sinnoh Flygon that it adapts to the marshlands around Pastoria and becomes Bug/Dragon. That'd be a great addition to the Sinnoh Dex, Sinnoh could use more Dragons.

Not giving gen4-pokes Sinnoh-formes since they were introduced there, leaves us with a small list of gen1-3 candidates.

Zubat-line: Dark/Flying
Hoothoot-line: Ice/Flying

Yeah, Sinnohdex would definitely need to be expanded for this.
But I'd sooner expect them to go "Oh look, megas are back in Sinnoh!" and do the same treatment as ORAS.

yammark

Aspiring Trainer
Hey guy !!! Nintendo Switch just confirm. So this rumor is true.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/pok-mon-mario-and-zelda-headline-nx-dream-line-up/0170678

This is the rumor since 4th August 2016, according to this rumor

1. The same sources confirmed that the Eurogamer report last week - which revealed that NX will be a portable machine that can be plugged into a TV and features a breakaway controller

This is correct ! ;)

2. NX is currently slated to launch in March next year worldwide.

This is also correct ! ;)

3. Developer Game Freak will bring Pokémon to the platform, while Nintendo’s first party titles include the previously announced Zelda game – Breath of the Wild – and
a new Mario game. All three products are scheduled to appear within the first six months of the machine’s life.

So i believe this will correct as well , because "Nintendo have told MCV that the firm is determined that NX will not suffer the same slow start as either the Wii U or 3DS."

Follow the tradition of new Pokemon main game.
- Zorua and Zoroark reveal in CoroCoro February 2010 (beginning of gen 5)
- 3 starter and Legendary of XY reveal in trailer at 8 Jan 2013 (beginning of gen 6)
- Magearna reveal in CoroCoro February 2016 (begining of gen 7)

If my theory is correct . February 2017 gamefreak will announce gen 8.
Slowest might be February 2018 for gen 8 announcement.

steffenka

Miss Vaanjie
Didn't they just say, they wouldn't make the obvious sequels anymore? Like with Pokemon BW, where they did BW2 instead of

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/pok-mon-mario-and-zelda-headline-nx-dream-line-up/0170678

1. The same sources confirmed that the Eurogamer report last week - which revealed that NX will be a portable machine that can be plugged into a TV and features a breakaway controller

This is correct ! ;)

3. Developer Game Freak will bring Pokémon to the platform, while Nintendo’s first party titles include the previously announced Zelda game – Breath of the Wild – and
a new Mario game. All three products are scheduled to appear within the first six months of the machine’s life.

So i believe this will correct as well , because "Nintendo have told MCV that the firm is determined that NX will not suffer the same slow start as either the Wii U or 3DS."

- 3 starter and Legendary of XY reveal in trailer at 8 Jan 2013 (beginning of gen 6)

I honestly think February 17 is way too early for a gen 8 announcent. Just because the NX is released in March 2017 does not mean we'll get a new Pokémon generation. The 3ds was released in 2011, and yet we still got BW2 in 2012, instead of them just skipping to XY, which was first released in 2013 (two years after the 3ds was released)

yammark

Aspiring Trainer
Didn't they just say, they wouldn't make the obvious sequels anymore? Like with Pokemon BW, where they did BW2 instead of

I honestly think February 17 is way too early for a gen 8 announcent. Just because the NX is released in March 2017 does not mean we'll get a new Pokémon generation. The 3ds was released in 2011, and yet we still got BW2 in 2012, instead of them just skipping to XY, which was first released in 2013 (two years after the 3ds was released)

I think it so early too but MVC is a reputable source, their rumor for NX is correct by yesterday. But I'm so sure of one thing. Pokemon gen 8 can't be late more than 2018.
January 2018 or February 2018 is definitely the announcement for 8th generation.

Here i left all of my proof here that gen 8 is coming soon...
1. Nintendo don't want slow start like Wii U & 3DS
2. Pokemon CEO confirm that Gamefreak is currently developing new Pokemon game for Nintendo Switch(Gamefreak is only create main game for Pokemon)
3. No 3rd legendary for Sun Moon, (datamine confirm this) So no sequel version for Sun Moon
4. Marshadow is the only one left for mythical Pokemon, sign that Gen 7 won't last long
5. Pokemon Movie 2018 is obviously Marshadow as mascot and feature Solgalio/Lunala

Well only time will tell. But all of significant leading to the same way that Pokemon Sun Moon is a short generation.

Leaf_Ranger

Knight of Nature and Pokémon
It's sad to see that the series have become full of patterns way too much.

LG/FR and HG/SS were nice but I don't want more remakes...Sinnoh is fine as it is, Unova had BW2 and Kanto...well Kanto is just a small region (even with Sevii) and what matters - Pokémon - have been thrown in our face way too much with XY.

Having said that, I now must say that Sinnoh lacked new Pokémon just like Kalos and both of this games could have an expanded game but in a way that it's a new generation, because a new generation of Pokémon doesn't have to mean an entire new region and instead an expanded Pokedex...there could be in-game reasons that justify a differente fauna and flora and Sun/Moon even touch that with Yungoos, Grimer and Meowth. We had a lot of legendary Pokémon "awakened" that may have caused serious changes to the world if a "hero" wouldn't show up just in time to fight and capture/calm down the Pokémon causing it.

As for this topic theme...I don't want Gen. VIII so soon and like previously said here somewhere, GF really needs to take a break and think what they want and what can be done.

Last edited:

torchictcg

Some-what advanced TCG Collector / Connoisseur

This is correct ! ;)

February 2017? That means... only one Sun & Moon TCG set? Highly unlikely. The Sun and Moon TCG Set releases in English in February 2017 so why on Earth would they only make one set? Japan usually releases a new set 2 months ahead of the English set so Japan could see two sets. But why do that? Even if you say February 2018, that still only gives us 4 TCG sets (average of 4 English sets per year). All TCG Sets since Gen 3 have had more than 10 sets in their respective generation. If TPC decided to only make 4 Sun & Moon sets, that would be less than TCG's first generation, which was the smallest with 7 English sets.

Also, The Global Link usually ends and resets with each new generation. Why go through the trouble of starting up the Sun and Moon Global Link in November 2016, only to shut it down 2 months later in January 2017?

Look, I'm always excited for new Pokemon games and new TCG sets, but you can't think of it just in the game perspective. The TCG also exists and I can bet there will be 7+ Sun & Moon sets. In terms of Gen. 8, don't expect any news until late 2019.