Speculation How Will the Nintendo Switch Affect Pokemon?

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Today Nintendo has revealed their new console, the Nintendo Switch, which is a hybrid home/handheld console with detachable controllers (you can view the reveal trailer and discuss the Switch more generally here). With the console's reveal, it's pretty much certain that we'll be seeing Pokemon games on the Switch. So how do you think the Switch will affect Pokemon games? How do you see future Pokemon games taking advantage of its features? What kind of games do you want to see on the Switch?

It's a hybrid console and their press releases are calling it the next era of portable gaming. So it's safe to assume that they're killing the 3DS. Which I'm fine with; it's been out for almost five years.

Pokemon for the Switch is going to be inevitable. I'm curious how they'll handle doing it on one screen again.

Well, I don't think the one screen re revert will hurt the system that badly. 8th generation, likely to be released in 2018 or 2019, is pretty much guaranteed for the Switch, and that's fine. At least the system is still mobile. I'll admit though, it will be really cool to play Pokemon on the TV, but just a little weird. Mechanics wise, I don't see the game changing. Maybe some of its internet settings will change with the new system, but other than that I don't think the new system leap will affect game play in any major way.

I also see 8th gen launching on the Switch in 2018/2019, and that'll be a big deal for the series since the 8th gen games would be the first main series games playable on console. Gameplay wise, between the home console environment and the different ways the console can handle multiplayer, I can see the Switch being a great console for you to sit down and play games with your friends, so perhaps to take advantage of that Game Freak will dabble in co-op? That would be an exciting step forward for the series, if you can explore regions with your friends. I'm not sure if they can get it to work, the logistics of accommodating for whether or not the player is playing by themselves or with others could complicate things, but if they can it'd really take the series to the next level.

Pokémon games on Switch is a certain thing, the question is which games and how it will be handled.

If we're talking about the main series going on Switch only, then I'll miss the second screen and I'm not into buying a more expensive console just because there's no more 3DS (or successor), and that's why I think Nintendo will either have the main series in a handheld-only device with an indepedndent name or make a portable device/"acessory" for the Switch (which after GBA being connected to GC, I still don't see why the handhelds don't have other functions when connected to home consoles).

Last edited:
I'm not into buying a more expensive console just because there's no more 3DS (or successor)

This.
If the main series' games become Switch-exclusive then I guess this was good while it lasted but I'll stop playing Pokémon. As much as I love it, I'm not gonna waste money on such a console just to play Pokémon games which only come out once a year or two.

would like to play a straight-up pokemon game on a large screen with graphics that are meant for large screens

This.
If the main series' games become Switch-exclusive then I guess this was good while it lasted but I'll stop playing Pokémon. As much as I love it, I'm not gonna waste money on such a console just to play Pokémon games which only come out once a year or two.

Well, that's one way to look at it. I personally like the idea because it would mean the possibility to play Pokemon on the big screen, something that hasn't happened since the Game Cube, and at the same time safe me some money because I'll probably buy the Switch anyway (if the game line-up is anything but awful).

Normally I would then have to buy the successor of the 3DS purely for Pokemon, because let's face it, after Sun & Moon the 3Ds will not last much longer anyway, but now just the Switch would be enough! Might get interesting too if they create a new Pokemon game that can capitalize on the possibilities of a big screen yet still be suited for portable devices.

In terms of maingames, I can see them making another 3DS title (I mean look at when BW2 came out), only after that can I see them doing something for switch (spin-offs are fair game from start though of course). It depends on what the switch turns out to be...I may not be up-to-date, but it doesn't seem clear yet whether it's going to be a pseudo-consolehybrid that basically also gets all the handheld stuff, with them still bringing out an actual handheld as a successor to the 3DS....or if switch is inteded to actually "replace" both their console AND handheld to stick to one hardware completely. In the latter case the franchise obviously would have no other choice than to adapt to the capabilities of the switch, while in the former the main games would probably stick to being "handheld"-games that simply can also be played with the switch.

Bumping this because I came across an article where Ishihara (the director of The Pokemon Company) talks about how they're approaching Pokemon on the Switch:

http://www.polygon.com/2017/2/24/14729774/pokemon-nintendo-switch

“Pokemon has been about being portable, but now there is the Switch, which is a portable home console, so it has a bigger screen and higher specs than we’re used to,” Ishihara said, as translated by NeoGAF user StreetsAhead. “Apart from main games, we make stuff like Pokkén [Tournament] and [Pokémon Mystery] Dungeon, so I am thinking we should make games that suit the Switch, but at this time I cannot confirm any projects.”

Ishihara added that if they were to develop games primarily for the Switch, it would have to be different from the way they’ve handled making portable games in the past, but wouldn’t elaborate. It’s still unclear if the company intends to release a game like Pokémon Sun or Moon for the console. The Switch may act like the GameCube, Wii and Wii U, which became the go-to consoles for offshoot Pokémon titles like Pokémon Rumble, Pokémon Battle Revolution and PokéPark Wii: Pikachu’s Adventure.

Now PR is a little difficult to interpret because they have a tendency to say things you want to hear, but it sounds a lot like Game Freak is saying they view the Switch as a hybrid and want to develop games that appeal to both sides. I'm guessing that Game Freak is paying close attention to games like Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey because those games really appeal to what people want out of a console, maybe they're going to incorporate that gameplay style into the formula and have something a little more exploration oriented.

Personally, I don't think the Switch will have too big of an impact on the games themselves. As of now, Pokemon for the Switch has been confirmed and code named 'Stars'. If the games that release in the next year and a half are good, I'll probably attempt to buy a switch. What would really seal the deal on the switch is either Smash 5 or HD Melee. Oh man, makes my GameCube sweaty just thinking about HD dash dancing and wombo combos!:p

Personally, I don't think the Switch will have too big of an impact on the games themselves

Well, I actually hope it will have a big impact. To be honest I'm getting a bit tired of the same formula over and over again, and it feels a bit dumbed down to. The first games had you figuring stuff out yourself (didn't know I needed flash for the dark cave for example) and you could choose which gym to go to first in some cases, but now it's lineair and you hardly have to think anymore. You get guided all along.

The switch would give new opportunities to make a bigger world (maybe even Zelda like?) where you can choose your own path. How awesome would it be if you could travel between Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova, Kalos and Ulola and visit all gyms, not in any particular order? Don't know how that would work exactly but the concept is nice.

Pls no. Pls 3ds. I CANNOT afford a Switch, and as great as Breath Of The Wild and Odyssey look, I'd still rather have a PS4 for Kingdom Hearts, FF, inFAMOUS, excetera. Why are you gonna make the literal legions of Pokemon fans buy a new console for one game? Infact, why make the literal armies of Nintendo fans buy a new game console for like.. 3 games? WHY?

I'm with @TheRealBro.. here. I hope they do something more open world or maybe even access to all the regions. Heck I think this would be the time and place for an official Pokemon MMO like game. Pick a region to start in, work your way through then move to the next, scaling levels based on your total number of badges so it's always a challenge. For the MMO aspect, let us flip on an option so we see other players walking around and when our eyes meet...well hope your team is in good shape! Even without the MMO aspect just opening the world up would be amazing.

I'm with @TheRealBro.. here. I hope they do something more open world or maybe even access to all the regions. Heck I think this would be the time and place for an official Pokemon MMO like game. Pick a region to start in, work your way through then move to the next, scaling levels based on your total number of badges so it's always a challenge. For the MMO aspect, let us flip on an option so we see other players walking around and when our eyes meet...well hope your team is in good shape! Even without the MMO aspect just opening the world up would be amazing.

Indeed, something like this!

All regions in one game is pretty much never going to happen, even on console. It would simply take too long to make, cost too much, and have a ton of issues with game pacing and content to really work. In general I don't think they can do more than two, and I don't think they even want to do that much.

So yeah, that's out the window but I can see open world being a possibility. If Game Freak wants to design a game for a console audience, they're probably going to step up the exploration. Opening up the region so you can beat gyms/trials/whatever in any order you want would definitely be a great way to take advantage of the console environment.

They don't have to do it all at once. Release one or two regions, then patch the rest in with DLC. Nintendo is finally getting into the DLC format with Mario Kart 8 and Breath of the Wild. So why not add Pokemon to the list? It would be the perfect way to handle it too. We're not overwhelmed with too many regions at once, and it buys them time to get more regions added, AND gets them more money.

They don't have to do it all at once. Release one or two regions, then patch the rest in with DLC. Nintendo is finally getting into the DLC format with Mario Kart 8 and Breath of the Wild. So why not add Pokemon to the list? It would be the perfect way to handle it too. We're not overwhelmed with too many regions at once, and it buys them time to get more regions added, AND gets them more money.
The problem is that DLC generally fails unless it is released with the release of the game. People will definitely lose interest before they can get the DLC out, assuming that they do not start development until the main game is released.

Pokemon Stars though...

And here we come to the Donphan in the room, the Stars rumor.

I don't think the Stars rumor is real and it'd be a poor decision for them to do it, both creatively and financially. Third versions don't really sell well, they typically hit about 6-8 million sales, which is about half of what other types of games in the series sell (remakes are closer to 12-15 million and new generations are 15-18 million). Now third versions can still profit with the low sales, but for that to work they would have to minimize spending. Upgrading SM to a new console is not minimizing, they would have to spend more money to upgrade the graphics and put it on more powerful hardware. Plus, needing to upgrade hardware would be an extra disincentive to buy Stars since they would need to spend an extra $300 to buy the game (remember when XY came out 2 YEARS after the 3DS released and there were people still complaining about having to buy a 3DS?), people that aren't ready to buy a Switch may be less inclined to buy Stars, so Stars could dip down as low as 4-5 million. Now that's still better than most games to be fair, but generally businesses don't just look for A profitable game, they go for the MOST profitable game. And Stars just isn't that. In fact, I don't think there's any idea that would be worse off for them than Stars.

Plus from the fan side of things, why would you rebuy a game you just bought a year ago? That's too soon to dive right back into Alola.

This wouldn't work. It would simply take Game Freak too long, cost too much for the average consumer, and be too large for the Switch to run. For one, it takes Game Freak 3 years to make a game and they charge $40 for it, or if they keep the engine the same, they can usually get an additional game out in about 1 year. Even without taking into account that working with more powerful hardware could extend the development time and drive up costs, this means it would take them 9 years to work on every region and would have to charge at least $100-$150 for it. This would be too much for the average consumer to afford, and definitely not the casual consumer they like to appeal to when many of them won't even spent 1 cent on a mobile game. Plus by the time it's done, the Switch will have been replaced by its successor and there'd be even less incentive for them to buy it. So it's definitely not making them money.

But even if they still wanted to do it, something that large and ambitious simply couldn't run on the Switch. The Switch can only hold a game as large as 32 GB, and Sun and Moon is 3.2 GB. Now they might just barely get away with that if that's all it took, but another thing you have to consider is that with more powerful hardware, people generally expect better graphics, and that's going to drive file size up past 4 GB and they're then going to expect the game to have 8 regions including the new 8th gen region. At that point, it becomes a physically impossibility to include all of that in one game since those 8 regions will take up more than the 32 GB limit. Even on the Switch's successor, you're going to have larger file sizes because of graphical upgrades and more regions to accommodate, so this hypothetical game with every region is going to be continually past the hardware limitations. Therefore, the idea is simply a physical impossibility, regardless of hardware upgrades, regardless of whatever kind of finagling they could do, including every region is simply too much.

Back