News Datamine Leak Discussion - Spoiler Warning

steffenka

Miss Vaanjie
As most of us know, the Sun/Moon demo had a bunch of hidden images within it showing all the remaining Pokémon, Ultra Beasts and Alolan Formes, as well as their Shiny versions.

Spoiler warning!

Spoiler warning!

As mentioned in the title, this thread is for discussion of these leaks, and discussion is preferred to stay in here, to avoid other members getting spoiled, should they want to avoid spoilers. You can discuss everything from possible types or names, to their designs, their shiny designs or their involvement in the story.

Last edited:
why there are so many Pikachu with caps? Is something special like pikachu cosplay or something?

I wonder if Crabrawler uses that new Ice Stone as well since its evo looks Fighting/Ice.
I could definitely see it evolve with the Ice Stone, though I wonder if Alolan Sandshrew uses it too, or Eevee to Glaceon (with Leafeon then using the Leaf Stone).

I am surprised that some pokemon don't have evoluation such as komala, minior and pyukumuku

Nice thread! Avoiding spoilers is hard otherwise.

For me, the most interesting Pokemon so far (and I guess this is the total list, although I hope not), is the bubble spider. It looks like an alien/bug/waterish.. No idea actually, but I like it! Should it's stats be anyware near acceptable, it's on my team for sure.

Second for me, is the anchor Pokemon. Since it's got that Aegislash kind of look to it, I'm guessing ghost/whater? (you know, a living anchor.. ) My kind of typing!

What still confuses me however, is these Ultra Beasts.. They seem cathable, and even have shiny forms, but at the same time ar human? Weird.. Don't know what tot hink about that.

-Not hugely feeling Alolan Persian, although it might grow on me
-Alolan Golem looks interesting. Is it supposed to be Rock/Electric or something? It's kinda giving that vibe to me
-Shiny Alolan Grimer having the same colour scheme as regular Grimer pleases me
-Loving Rowlet and Popplio's final evolutions
-the Rowlet line's Shiny forms are gorgeous
-Wrestler Cat.... it's better than it looked in the leak. Still not a huge fan of it though
-Not sure how a woodpecker becomes a toucan (although considering what we've seen previously this is probably one of the less questionable transformations), but still a fan of the line anyway. Hopefully it becomes something different than Normal/Flying but there are no obvious types I can think of for it
-Crawbrawler's evo looks interesting. Hopefully our first Fighting/Ice type?
-I really like the Shiny forms for Baile and Sensu Oricorio
-the spiky urchin things are pretty cool. I'll be interested to see what their typings are.
-Bubble Spiders look cool. They could probably end up being Bug/Water (maybe we'll have Bug/Water version exclusives?) or maybe they'll have a Poison or Dark type on them? they look intimidating enough to be Dark imo
-Liking Morelull's evolution (particularly the Shiny form)
-Salandit's evo is kinda interesting to me. Considering it looks somewhat feminine, I'm wondering if we'll have another Vespiquen style evolution or whether both genders will be like this
-No evolution for Comfey is kinda surprising
-Wimpod's evolution - holy hell. That thing looks terrifying. Although if it becomes something other than Bug/Water I'll probably not be that happy though
-Pyukumuku not evolving kinda surprises me
-Really surprising to not see Komala evolve. I had somewhat high hopes for it as well.
-I love Shiny Mimikyu
-Shiny Bruxish looks like a Christmas ornament
-The anchor is creepy and looks really cool. I'm anticipating it to be any combination of Water, Steel or Ghost
-The Tapu's all look quite cool, although my personal favourite is probably the narwhal/dolpin/whatever it is (the purple one)
-NOW the legendaries. The 'pre-evolutions' are REALLY intriguing me. I'm actually thinking maybe the cloud puff evolves into the golden-thing-with-the-sphere-in-it which then evolves into EITHER Solgaleo or Lunala. Or perhaps maybe they're two completely seperate Pokemon that have something to do with either Legendary. Or perhaps they're a two stage line which has something to do with both the legendaries. Who knows.
-Marshadow is pretty cute
-I can't even apprehend anything about what the Ultra Beasts are but they look cool

I'm just really most intrigued about what the mini Legendaries are and how they tie in with Solgaleo/Lunala. I'll be interested to see what happens with them.

Do we also have typing for the new pokemon
We don't have typings of the new Pokémon as of yet. Though seeing as some of the Pokémon are evolutions of already existing Pokémon it can be presumed that they have the same typings as their pre-evos (Morelull evo, Salandit evo etc.)

I'm a little surprised by the lack of evolutions for some of the basic Pokémon, Minior, Komala, Pyukumuku and Comfey in particular. I feel like they all could be part of a 2/3 stage line, but seeing as they aren't I'm just hoping they get evolutions in the future.

One of the Pokémon that I actually surprisingly like, is Alolan Persian. I just think it's so ugly, it's cute, though I might have an idea for a way to make it look less derpy (See my art thread soon :p)

I am somewhat disappointed in the lack of pokemon and so many unfinished lines. Some pokemon look cool, but unless we get more pokemon at a later dste, I am definitely not buying. I might be done with pokemon altogether and this might be my nail in the coffin.

Annoyed somewhat by the fact that there's just 8 Kalos Pokémon, and 72 Alola Pokémon to a whopping 85 gen 1 Pokémon. We didn't need more Kanto Pokémon than Alola Pokémon.

Hmm... only 306 catchable pokemon. That doesn't bode well for replayability. Kalos gave me 457. But, I guess I have ariados, lanturn, misdreavus, susrkit, trapinch, petilil and carbink. Wow, so few in comparison.

-GF, what did you do to persian? I never was a fan of it to start off, but that is simply cruel.

-Did a sprite from a Kirby game got mixed up in the batch before the mascots? what is that thing?

-Wimpod's evolution is something I wouldn't like to meet in a dark alley at night. Or a sunny park at day. I wouldn't want to see it close to me, that's my point. Goodness, that thing is probably alola's gyarados, if only by looks.

-Are those creepy, creepy green bugs diving spiders by any chance? because mine are better. And less creepy. I hope they don't go around beaches, because who would want to go to the sea when one of those things could come out and drag you into a sparkling turquoise death?

-Salandit's evolution looks scary; a little like the Xenomorph, with the tail, the black and the thin-ness.

-Before, I was a little lost with the ultra beasts, but they looked logical enough. Now, I don't know anymore; what the hell did they do? I can't see any way those scary, scary, scary things fill any role in the narrative other than a roaming pokemon hunt; I could believe it for one UB, or just UB02 as another antagonist, but with all those others, I don't know what to think; they just don't seem to fit in pokemon, both conceptually and design-wise; they seem like they come out of some robot alien anime where people are all the time getting impaled and showering others with their blood.

-That's marshadow? that runt? I was expecting a fearsome thing with enough size to knock solgaleo and lunala on one hit, not Dark Castform.

Komala not evolving is truly the face crack of the century. It just looks "incomplete", like it looks like it should evolve into something. I'm also wondering whether only female Salandit can evolve considering it's Dex entry and very feminine/ femme fatale look.

I can't accept that we don't get fossil Pokemon for gen 7 . :(

It's not really possible to uncover fossils on volcanic islands. Especially islands that most likely did not exist when fossils would've been able to be found/recovered.

It's not really possible to uncover fossils on volcanic islands. Especially islands that most likely did not exist when fossils would've been able to be found/recovered.
Though Aerodactyl, Rampardos, Bastiodon, Archeops, and Carracosta can be found in Alola.

I've added a link to the OP with all the new Pokémon in a "spreadsheet" similar to the Alolan Dex :)

Another one of the new Pokémon I'm a bit iffy about, is Morelull's evolution. I'm not really a big fan of the mouth, nor the way it's arms look. In general I think a lot of the new Pokémon are either a hit or miss for me :/

In general I think a lot of the new Pokémon are either a hit or miss for me :/

I agree. In my opinion it's more often a hit than a miss though.

I guess I wasn't expecting too much, since gen 5 felt like a giant miss for the most part; unintersting replica's (troh, sawk, boufalant etc.) and a lot of plain stupid designs (Vanilluxe, Emboar, Samurott, most of the legendaries). Over half of the new Pokemon just didn't do it for me. Gen 6 was ok, but it had only about 60 new Pokemon, not all of which were all that interesting, so it got old pretty fast.

This gen, at the very least, feels a lot more refreshing than previous ones and the Alolan forms feel like a real addition too. Who would have thought Sandslash would become somewhat interesting again ;) (I guess the ice typing is only gonna make it worse, but still).

Real life hawaii is not really known for its palaeontology seeing as how the oldest island has only got five million year old lava flows preserved. I love fossils but no native fossil pokes is pretty true to the source material.

While I love so so much it again feels like half a new gen + gen 1 again. It's not going to detract from the fun since I only ever use a new gen's pokemon on my first run anyway but like with gen 6 I can't help but wonder what could have been. I agree with the majority Komala is a strange choice for like this gen's Farfetch'd.

I really want Salandit's evolution to be called Salapatra. It looks like a female only evolution and that would be in keeping with the dex entry.

I don't see why Komala was so widely expected to evolve. It's a koala; what was it going to become, a bigger koala? A kangaroo?

I don't have a problem with single-stage lines in general, though I did have fun ideas for Mimikyu and Pyukumuku evos. Maybe cross-gen evos will finally return someday. But overall my problem with this gen is there's just not enough new pokemon here. They could have had 30 more single-stage pokemon and I would have been happier.

Another one of the new Pokémon I'm a bit iffy about, is Morelull's evolution. I'm not really a big fan of the mouth, nor the way it's arms look. In general I think a lot of the new Pokémon are either a hit or miss for me :/

Yeah, I'm really biased in favour of mushroom pokemon, but that guy is a little too obvious for me. Maybe it'll be better when we see it in action. It's definitely the creepiest fairy type we've gotten so far.

I still have that Alolan Parasect fakemon stuck in my head, where it's taken over by Morelull. Gamefreak had better Muk and Golem designs, but everything else from that leak was so good. It feels like GF didn't develop enough pokemon concepts this time, or they left too many concepts on the table. But it's tough to compare the final product with the promise of the initial reveals-- we see the result of a lot of work when they reveal something, and then our army of fan artists and theorists take it in all different directions, but ultimately the more limited design team at GF had to actually develop those concepts first. I feel like they stopped too short, but they might feel like they went just far enough, at least for 1 project.

Last edited:
Back