• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Yveltal/Zoroark for October Regionals

Croppernicus

Aspiring Trainer
Hi there! So this is my first time owning my own Pokemon deck. I've played with a friend's Yveltal EX deck and a M-Tyranitar EX deck, however most of my love for Pokemon comes from playing VGC. Unfortunately, I'm garbage at VGC, and I'm a fairly successful Yugioh player, so I thought I'd try out the Pokemon TCG. Below is my first shot at a Zaorark/Yveltal decklist. I'll hopefully be taking it to Orlando Regionals in a few weeks, and I'd like some feedback on how to improve my consistency and lineup. Thanks for reading, on to the list!

Pokemon:
2 Zorua (BKT)
2 Zoroark (BKT)
1 Zoroark BREAK (BKT)
3 Yveltal (XY)
1 Yveltal (BKT)
2 Yveltal EX (XY)
2 Rayquaza EX (Colorless ROS)
2 M Rayquaza EX (Colorless ROS)

Trainers:
2 Lysandre (XY)
1 Hex Maniac (Ancient Origins)
2 N (Fates Collide)
2 Ninja Boy (Steam Siege)
4 Professor Sycamore (XY)
2 Captivating PokePuff (Steam Siege)
4 Ultra Ball (Fates Collide)
4 VS Seeker (Phantom Forces) (Am I allowed to use this?)
2 Super Rod (BKT)
2 Trainers' Mail
2 Max Elixer
2 Float Stone
2 Rayquaza Spirit Link
2 Sky Field

Energy:
8 Darkness (Basic)
4 Double Colorless Energy (Special)

I'm hoping to make this list as consistent as possible! Thanks again for taking a look :)

Last edited:
Nice starting list to work with if I may say so. A few suggestions are simple while others are a little tricky.

I would suggest dropping the three Unown for at least 2 Shaymin-EX (I know they're very pricy, but as most TCG players will tell you, consider it an investment into your future with the TCG game since once you have those 2, you'll have them for any deck you play in the future). If you are unable to get Shaymin, I would still drop the Unown and get a 2-2 Octillery line. It isn't AS good as Shaymin, but it is at least basic for cheaper.

Is Zoroark going to be your main attacker? If so, I would suggest adding a couple more Zoroark BREAKs into the list.

As for Mew, since it can only copy Basics, you'll be using it for any of your Yveltal's attacks. Not overly strong, but if you can get enough energy, can hit another Psychic-type (like MMewtwo-EX) for 200 (Using Yveltal XY, GEN, STS second attack). If you want a faster way to knock out the MMewtwo-EX, go with Mew-EX (Recently released as a Promo, but was in the Legendary Treasures Booster and Next Destinies (if I remember correctly) as well). A Double Colorless Energy on a Mew-EX will let you Psychic Infinity for a OHKO. Its all a matter of opinion.

Another idea for an attacker is going to be Darkrai-EX and Umbreon-EX. You're getting ready for October Regionals, which I assume is going to be Orlando. Megas are a big play right now, so Umbreon-EX is a good way to clean up some damaged Megas and take 4 Prizes with them. To play it effectively, Ninja Boy is going to be a key card. Darkrai-EX meanwhile is going to be another strong attacker if you can get all those Darkness Energy on your field. Of course, if Darkrai-EX is used, I can't give too much advice without changing the whole structure of the deck from Yveltal/Zoroark to Darkrai/Yveltal.

Moving on to your trainers. Muscle Bands are rotated out. So those will need to be automatically dropped. Since you're running Zoroark, I would advice switching those two cards with Float Stone right off the bat, and possibly add another Float Stone. This tool works wonders with Zoroark's Stand In ability.

Your Supporter List is pretty decent. However, I would have to suggest a one-of Pokemon Ranger. Since this card's release, I've seen only a small drop in play of cards like Jolteon-EX, Glaceon-EX, and others. And a Ranger would help you not have to force your strategy to switch around them. Of course, this is another matter of opinion.

So here is an overall look of the changes I would make

-3 Unown
+2 Remoraid
+2 Octillery

-2 Muscle Band
+3 Float Stone
+1 Pokemon Ranger
-1 Ninja Boy
-1 Bursting Balloon

And to give you a couple other answers. Yes you can use VS Seeker as it was reprinted as a Secret Rare in Roaring Skies. And also, here is a quick initial of all the sets in Standard

PCL (Primal Clash)
DCR (Double Crisis)
ROS (Roaring Skies)
AOR (Ancient Origins)
BKT (BREAKthrough)
BKP (BREAKpoint)
FCO (Fates Collide)
GEN (Generations)
STS (Steam Siege)

I believe that is all of them. I'm sure once it comes out, the Evolutions set will be EVO, but that is for after Regionals it looks like.

There are a few other changes I would personally make to your list, but those are more preferential to me and not general for everyone (such as dropping the 2 Acro Bike for 2 Trainers' Mail and finding room for a 3rd)

Thanks so much for your response! That's a lot of great info! I actually had a few other ideas if you don't mind!

I threw in the 2-2 Octillery line as I can't afford Shaymins at all :( I also added the Float stones and they're great with Zoroark's Stand In, just as you said! I was considering throwing either Captivating Poke Puff in to help boost Zoroark's damage, but then I noticed I was still struggling to hit big numbers to KO things like Greninja BREAK and Primal Kyogre; I was considering adding a lineup of 2-2-2 Rayquaza, M-Rayquaza, and Rayquaza Spirit Link (just realized this makes me super weak to electric, should I consider the darkness stadium that lets anything with a Dark Energy not have a weakness?), as well as removing Delinquent and Mew to make room for 2-3 Sky Field and Max Elixer, or possibly adding both Poke Puff and Sky Field to seriously boost Zoroark's damage.

Secondarily do you think 1 Ninja Boy and 3 Float Stone is enough mobility? I was considering a 2-2 line up to help me pivot out of a Remoraid or another bad basic as a starter. I don't know if that's something that I should be worried about or not. I also like Ninja Boy a lot because it lets me get out of an item lock and is recoverable with VS seeker should I need it.

EDIT: Updated list with concept; thinking it might be better for me to include Darkrai EX and more basic Darkness Energy/Max Elixer over M-Ray line. Trying to hit big numbers, enough that a baby Yveltal can come in and kill anything I can't 1-shot

Last edited:
I like the list so far! As a personal preference and just the small experience with the tcgonline, I favor the BT yveltal over the xy one. With the speed of rayquaza and other Megas I like the BT yveltal up front as soon as possible to shut off tools. It greatly slows mega decks down. So I would go -2 xy yveltal and +2 BT yveltal

Back