Discussion M Venusaur EX/Garbodor

Nyora

A Cat
Hey all, just wanna know your guys opinions about M Venusaur with the Spirit link coming out sooon with garbodor.

seth falls

Aspiring Trainer
I see some great potential with M Venusaur. His attack isn't bad, sitting at 120 dmg and paralyzing plus poisoning the enemy. It's just really hard to get him powered up since he's such a heavy attacker. Personally, I could see why you would want to run garb, (stopping shaymins, hoopa, etc.) but since you're probably not going to outspeed your opponent even with garb, I think it would hurt more than it would help. But hey, that's just my opinion. If we got a reprint of herbal energy, I could see some synergy going on with solrock, venusaur, and clawitzer. Imaging evolving t1 into mega venusaur, using regirock to get out your herbal energies, and then accelerating them on with clawitzer the next turn. And if you played energy reset, you could spam the healing effect to keep venusar alive longer. Of course with fire decks being so prevalent in the meta, it's a long shot to even play M Venusar EX at all.

Nyora

A Cat
I see some great potential with M Venusaur. His attack isn't bad, sitting at 120 dmg and paralyzing plus poisoning the enemy. It's just really hard to get him powered up since he's such a heavy attacker. Personally, I could see why you would want to run garb, (stopping shaymins, hoopa, etc.) but since you're probably not going to outspeed your opponent even with garb, I think it would hurt more than it would help. But hey, that's just my opinion. If we got a reprint of herbal energy, I could see some synergy going on with solrock, venusaur, and clawitzer. Imaging evolving t1 into mega venusaur, using regirock to get out your herbal energies, and then accelerating them on with clawitzer the next turn. And if you played energy reset, you could spam the healing effect to keep venusar alive longer. Of course with fire decks being so prevalent in the meta, it's a long shot to even play M Venusar EX at all.
Ah, dear friend. We don't play Shaymin or Hoopa though. We just play Unown and Max elixir. The Garb is to stop Zoroark, Giratina, and of course shaymin/Hoopa as well as other things.

seth falls

Aspiring Trainer
Ah, dear friend. We don't play Shaymin or Hoopa though. We just play Unown and Max elixir. The Garb is to stop Zoroark, Giratina, and of course shaymin/Hoopa as well as other things.

That could work. what would your list look like, if you don't mind me asking.

Yog

Rogue
I am eager to experiment with Venusaur once the spirit link drops - I see a lot more potential there than with Blastoise or Charizard. Still charging him up will be the issue. There are a few ways to charge up grass decks but they are all very bulky in terms of deck space. FoGP with the new bug Larvesta & Solar Birth Volcarona will be my first tack, and we'll see after that.

Ivy_Profen

Aspiring Trainer
Idk if I would want to use forest of giant plants over shrine of memories.

Hitting 120 and with paralysis and poison. Then 20 more between turns if they cant get away. Let's you then finish with jungle hammer for 90. For a total of 240 and then healing 30 damage.

With shaymin or jynx. It seems like you could have a nasty venusaur tank on ur hands.

gumball51321

*thumbs up*
I think Venusaur will be a complete monster. I will personally play Shaymins, Hoopa, and Carbink. Carbink is there as a 4-of to start with and stall while I set Venusaur up, and probably play Parallel City as the stadium. As fun as speed Venusaur would be, it simply can't happen without Battle Compressor to use Mega Turbo. And before any of you start criticizing me, yes I know Parallel City will slow down Venusaurs damage, but with more than 3 benched Pokemon, they can't bench Shaymin, or other stuff to be able to get out of the paralyzation. Of course there are other ways such as Escape Rope, evolution, or Center Lady(I didn't count Switch because no one uses it). But it's still relatively easy to set it back up. I'll probably play Exp. Share as a one-of to save the energy, or perhaps 4 Mega Turbo, anything to help my play style. I would love to hear more of this topic.

Nyora

A Cat
I think Venusaur will be a complete monster. I will personally play Shaymins, Hoopa, and Carbink. Carbink is there as a 4-of to start with and stall while I set Venusaur up, and probably play Parallel City as the stadium. As fun as speed Venusaur would be, it simply can't happen without Battle Compressor to use Mega Turbo. And before any of you start criticizing me, yes I know Parallel City will slow down Venusaurs damage, but with more than 3 benched Pokemon, they can't bench Shaymin, or other stuff to be able to get out of the paralyzation. Of course there are other ways such as Escape Rope, evolution, or Center Lady(I didn't count Switch because no one uses it). But it's still relatively easy to set it back up. I'll probably play Exp. Share as a one-of to save the energy, or perhaps 4 Mega Turbo, anything to help my play style. I would love to hear more of this topic.
yeah I'm gonna have to agree. Also, the city will help slow down Mega Ray [C] really good, that is, unless they recover from Parellel city. I actually do play switch and parallel city doesn't really affect Venusaur much cuz first you have to recover from being paralyzed. I simply use Max Elixir and Unown for my setup. I think Venusaur will be good, if not better than Mega Ray.

gumball51321

*thumbs up*
yeah I'm gonna have to agree. Also, the city will help slow down Mega Ray [C] really good, that is, unless they recover from Parellel city. I actually do play switch and parallel city doesn't really affect Venusaur much cuz first you have to recover from being paralyzed. I simply use Max Elixir and Unown for my setup. I think Venusaur will be good, if not better than Mega Ray.
I hate to disagree, but don't count Mega Ray out yet. Dragonite-EX is at least a 2-of in that deck. If they get SkyField, they easily get the resources back to OHKO us. By the time Texas(where I live) Regionals comes around, Evolutions would be legal, and M Ray will be stronger than it's ever been. As if it weren't strong enough.

Nyora

A Cat
I hate to disagree, but don't count Mega Ray out yet. Dragonite-EX is at least a 2-of in that deck. If they get SkyField, they easily get the resources back to OHKO us. By the time Texas(where I live) Regionals comes around, Evolutions would be legal, and M Ray will be stronger than it's ever been. As if it weren't strong enough.
Garbodor. Simple. Literally the best way to beat it. Done deal, dude, done deal.

seth falls

Aspiring Trainer
Garbodor. Simple. Literally the best way to beat it. Done deal, dude, done deal.

Yeah, but it's so hard to stop a M Ray deck from setting up if they go first. 90% of the time they get set up on T1, and by that point it won't matter too much because they'll just focus down any Trubbish you have on the bench. Even so, I think M Venusaur has a fighting chance. If you put galvantula in the deck, you could threaten 4 prizes in two turns. Galvantula's first attack for (C) energy can hit benched Shaymins for 60 dmg a piece, unless they play Altaria RSK to prevent weakness and assuming you haven't countered their stadium, allowing them to get rid of said Shaymins. If they get rid of their stadium, (by some crazy means) then they still have to deal with a M Venusaur that they now have to THKO.

poke4trade

Raising Ash
I think it will be best to played as a speed version with a four line of Forest of Giant Plants. I don't like the idea of Gabador because he will slow the deck. I believe, no matter what, even with abilities lock, M V. is going to be an auto loss to Valconion decks. Vensours can one shot Grinijias with it's first attack. I don't see any reason why to play Garbador. I was actually thinking of playing him with Hoopa from steam siege to lay down bench damage as I power up the big guy. Maybe ninja boy into a Lugia or Lugia EX based on the match ups. But Verizon might work well too. I think the pairing of Garbador will be a tough play due to so many decks running Garbador now. Garbador is starting to get splashed in everywhere that like villeplume you can build decks that use the ability against them. Ninjia Boy helps a bit with those kinds of locks.

Mariano11887

Goalkeeper
Maybe you can try pairing M Venusaur with Volcarona from Steam Siege. For one energy, it will temporarily stop your opponent with those special conditions while you power up your Venusaurs on the bench. It worked for me even without the spirit links.

GengarGuys

"Pickle Enthusiast"
The Garbodor/Parallel City Combo COULD be devastating to M Ray, but if garb gets set up they can just lysandre garb and use Dragonite to get back more Pokemon Directly.

Nyora

A Cat
The Garbodor/Parallel City Combo COULD be devastating to M Ray, but if garb gets set up they can just lysandre garb and use Dragonite to get back more Pokemon Directly.
True but of course you play more than one and by that time your hittin em hard.

gumball51321

*thumbs up*
True but of course you play more than one and by that time your hittin em hard.
It's harder to get out a second Garbodor than you think. It's unbelievably easy to make a comeback once you kill a Trubbish. And by the time they actually need to kill Garbodor, they've already taken 3 prizes, and Garb makes 4. At that point, it's 1 Lysandre a Shaymin away from winning the game. Plus, if you're too focused on Garbodor, that takes away from Venusaur.

poke4trade

Raising Ash

Honestly, M Ray hasn't been threat in LC's lately. I think there is so much hate on M Ray and Rainbow Road that there are becoming tougher plays. I think in this deck that you can get by with a Hex and open up deck space. Lysandring Garb is a tough play in this meta, a lot of times you are choosing between a prime attacker knock out, or Garabador. Lysandre Garb out can force you to loose the prize trade off. It is a bit of a quagmire. On top of that, Lysandre can be rough to get out at times. Without BC, a lot of times I'm praying my opponent will N me into a lysandre or Vs seeker. I see a lot of games now where the opponent just skylas for the Lysandre because they just can't seem to hit it.

seth falls

Aspiring Trainer
Honestly, M Ray hasn't been threat in LC's lately. I think there is so much hate on M Ray and Rainbow Road that there are becoming tougher plays. I think in this deck that you can get by with a Hex and open up deck space. Lysandring Garb is a tough play in this meta, a lot of times you are choosing between a prime attacker knock out, or Garabador. Lysandre Garb out can force you to loose the prize trade off. It is a bit of a quagmire. On top of that, Lysandre can be rough to get out at times. Without BC, a lot of times I'm praying my opponent will N me into a lysandre or Vs seeker. I see a lot of games now where the opponent just skylas for the Lysandre because they just can't seem to hit it.

It's just sad that there's really no "hard counter" to garb yet. I mean, I've seen some people play Minccino from the Fates Collide set to remove tools, but if you're going to do that, then you might as well just play an extra Lysandre copy. But like you said before, when your abilities are locked sometimes it's just so hard to get out that Lysandre. In the end it might end up coming to the luck of the draw and I personally hate that.

Arizaiaz

Aspiring Trainer
I don't play expanded myself, so I can't comment on how strong it'll be relative to other decks in the format. But the Battle Compressor/Mega Turbo engine should be a great option for MegaSaur