Discussion Top 10 most effective Pokemon for the new rotation

21times

Aspiring Trainer
Hello fellow Beachbums,

The other day I posted the top 10 most common Pokemon I'm seeing in testing, now I'm posting the top ten best performing Pokemon I've seen over the last month or so.

These Pokemon were part of decks that performed at a "Good" level or better, meaning that they probably beat me or only lost because I had an unusually dominant performance from a deck I was testing.

These are very general and intended to be used for big picture, broad generalizations. Basically, this is just something to give your brain to chew on for a minute.

And yes there are technically 11 Pokemon on this list because of a last place tie.

Place Pokemon Good + Total Percent
1 M Rayquaza EX 2 2 100%
2 M Mewtwo EX 8 9 89%
3 Registeel 4 5 80%
3 Yveltal EX 8 10 80%
5 Palkia EX 7 9 78%
6 Glaceon EX 3 4 75%
6 Darkrai EX 3 4 75%
8 Alakazam EX 5 7 71%
8 Houndoom 5 7 71%
10 Yveltal 8 12 67%
10 Zoroark 6 9 67%

So this basically means that I saw M Rayquaza twice in testing, and it performed well (probably well enough to win) both times. (I know that a sample size of 2 is ridiculously low, but I think we all know that Mega Ray is going to be dominant in the new Meta).

I saw M Mewtwo 9 times, and that deck performed well (again probably well enough to win) 8 of the 9 times.... and so on.

This is just what I'm seeing, maybe it's the same as what you're seeing, maybe not.

I do not think registeel can really do anything without bronzing(even with it it is a card hardly being considered), and I believe Grenija break or the Bee-set grass deck can still do much in new standard format

I agree that Registeel might be a bit of an outlier - but I will say that his ability to discard an energy with every attack (no coin flip!) is pretty impactful.

Greninja didn't make my list because in my testing, I would concede if they were using Water Shuriken Greninja, and I honestly don't think I came across any Shadow Stitching Greninja in testing. Also, I absolutely dominated a shadow stitching Greninja in a match last night. I know it's just one match, but I really think that Greninja lost a lot when Water Shuriken got rotated out. I could be wrong, but there's probably a reason nobody ran Shadow Stitching with Water Shuriken available.

I think greninja will still make a significant splash in standard. I think the water shuriken greninja is actually the weaker option to combat.

The success of greninja however may determine the prevalence of garbodor.

Hello fellow beachbums - updating this now that I've supassed 200 matches (actually I'm up to 230, so I think this is really starting to firm up).

The ten most effective decks I've faced in the new rotation:

Deck Good Performances Not Good Performances %
Darkrai EX 10 1 91%
Volcanion EX with Flareon EX 8 1 89%
M Ryquaza EX 11 2 85%
M Mewtwo EX Garbodor 7 3 70%
M Gardevoir EX 8 4 67%
M Scizor EX 8 5 62%
Rainbow Road 5 3 63%
Vespiquen Vileplume 3 0 100%
Yanmega Break 3 3 50%
M Sceptile EX 3 0 100%

Basically, this is a representation of how many times I've faced these decks, and how many times they've performed well in matches against me.

Darkrai EX, for example, has done extremely well against me, with 10 good showings in 11 matches. A "good performance" is one where the deck generally gets set up well, doesn't really have draw support issues, gets at least 1 strong atacker powered up, etc. If you had a "good performance," you probably will win unless your opponent has a good performance too, that's the way I look at it.

Darkrai was a little surprising to me - and there was no one set pairing it did well with. It was matched 5 times with Giratina and 4 times with Yveltal EX. The only "Not Good" performance was when it was paired with Hypno and Snorlax. I think it's overrated at number 1 and I would expect it to come back to Earth a little bit, but it's a pretty nasty card that's just that much tougher when paired with Giratina or Yveltal EX.

I don't think I'm telling anybody anything you don't know by saying this, but Volcanion EX without Flareon EX is not competitive - only 2 good performances in 5 matches. The Volcanion Flareon combo is VERY good.

And again, I think we all agree that Mega Ray is good but it has some inherent weaknesses that if you can exploit, a good deck will beat consistently.

M Gardevoir is probably a little inflated - I play a lot of M Mewtwo and there were 4 auto losses right there. Take out my M Mewtwo matches and M Gardevoir was a very pedestrian 4 and 4.

M Scizor is obviously very underrated - 3 of its matches were against a Vespiquen Regice Glaceon EX deck that I run, and in none of those matches did my opponent have a counter for Regice or Glaceon EX. I'm guessing they probably ran Registeel or Coballion and they were prized or my opponent just couldn't get to them. But I think we all know that this is a top tier deck, and maybe the Best Deck in Format.

Rainbow Road is a good deck but has many of the same problems that Gardevoir and Rayquaza have. I've run a lot of Rainbow Road myself and it definitely has a ceiling.

Vespiquen Vileplume, Yanmega Break, and M Sceptile are kind of my opinion. I only went up against Vespiquen Vileplume 3 times, but it killed me each time. My Vespiquen Regice and Glaceon EX deck is pretty good, so I wanted to include the more common Vespiquen Vileplume deck in this list just to make sure everyone knows that Vespiquen is very much still relelvant in the new meta.

Yanmega Break does well at times, but I think it inherently has some limitations that will prevent it from being VERY good. But it's not a bad deck, it's competitive.

M Sceptile I think is one expansion away from being very relevant. I think the new Starmie from Evolutions will definitely make Sceptile very good.

Speaking of which, think about how good Volcanion will be with Starmie... Yikes!

Just to update, I am now up to 331 matches, and it's become clear that there are 3 very good decks in this meta.

Volcanion EX (with Volcanion and Flareon EX) has performed well 9 out of 11 times against me.
Darkrai EX (with Yveltal EX or Giratina EX) has performed well 13 out of 16 times against me.
Mega Rayquaza has performed well in 16 of the 20 matches I've played against it.

Rainbow Road (11-5) and Yanmega Break (6-4) are rising, but they are still a notch below the big 3.

Mega Gardevoir, Mega Scizor, and Mega Mewtwo have all had diminshed performances against me. Gardevoir is 8-6, Scizor 9-8, and Mewtwo a very surprising 12-13.

Worth noting though is that I've only faced the Mewtwo Garbodor pairing 7 of those 25 times. My Mewtwo Garbodor deck wins 70% of the time.

Just to update, I am now up to 331 matches, and it's become clear that there are 3 very good decks in this meta.

Volcanion EX (with Volcanion and Flareon EX) has performed well 9 out of 11 times against me.
Darkrai EX (with Yveltal EX or Giratina EX) has performed well 13 out of 16 times against me.
Mega Rayquaza has performed well in 16 of the 20 matches I've played against it.

Rainbow Road (11-5) and Yanmega Break (6-4) are rising, but they are still a notch below the big 3.

Mega Gardevoir, Mega Scizor, and Mega Mewtwo have all had diminshed performances against me. Gardevoir is 8-6, Scizor 9-8, and Mewtwo a very surprising 12-13.

Worth noting though is that I've only faced the Mewtwo Garbodor pairing 7 of those 25 times. My Mewtwo Garbodor deck wins 70% of the time.

With the recent patch, Ninja Boy is now valid for use in all formats it is legal in. With Mew-EX being legal as well in the near future, this should be a perfect time for you to take a look at Vileplume decks such as the one from 2016 Worlds.

This all really depends on what deck you are playing at the time, as certain decks have better matchups against others.

Back