Blog Why Item Lock Shouldn't Be Counted Out and Other Anti-Meta Shenanigans

Cool article, man. Love the Kyogre idea. Have you done a lot of testing with it? Does Healing Scarf pull its weight, or does it fall short? You mentioned Wide Lens, but it's not in your list. With Volcanion already weak to Water and very low OHKO potential (from them), do you think Kyogre even needs it?

Cool article, man. Love the Kyogre idea. Have you done a lot of testing with it? Does Healing Scarf pull its weight, or does it fall short? You mentioned Wide Lens, but it's not in your list. With Volcanion already weak to Water and very low OHKO potential (from them), do you think Kyogre even needs it?
Honestly, against heavier hitting decks, healing 60 with PCL, 30 from Seas, 40 from attaching 2 energy, it's really helpful, and undoing a lot of 2hko attacks. Also, I really don't think Wide Lens isn't necessary, but it is certainly an option against Volcanion, but because it's only helping against one match-up, I decided not to include it, but yes, I've done a lot of testing with Kyogre.

I've been playing this Kyogre/Healing Scarf combo for an hour and I love it! Hilarious.

About the Yveltal deck. Why include float stone's if tools and items are useless? I think a hex maniac could do some good in that deck. though i haven't tested it out yet.

I've played Giratina EX with Vilplume a lot since the release of Ancient Origins. It's so much fun to see the opponent get another card in their hand each turn that they can't use :p The deck really shines if you get your set-up right during the first turns. Though this may be difficult at times. Charging Giratina EX with Double Dragon / Colorless Energy is an easy task without means to discard the special energy.

It's also nice to see another player that loves the new Weavile card. It has so many uses. I replace Zoroark with Weavile as the retreating Pokémon because it can move Float Stone to any Pokémon on your side of the field. I would recommend replacing Manaphy EX with Float Stone for this reason. They both relie on abilities either way. That would be one less easy to K.O. Pokemon EX on your bench. Also you don't have to attach a water energy to Hoopa or Shaymin EX in case they get Lysandre'd. I like healing decks, so I may try this deck idea out if you don't mind. Good article!

"Why you shouldn't believe everything you read."

Because you play what you like and kill meta as hard as possible. Destroy it. Besides, people who tell you NOT to do something actually are trying to defend their own playing. Much like when you read people's decklists online, they actually have a deck that can destroy that one.

Do what you want and just ignore the nonsense of other people telling you not to count on anything.

About the Yveltal deck. Why include float stone's if tools and items are useless? I think a hex maniac could do some good in that deck. though i haven't tested it out yet.
The float stones are for the Vileplume before you evolve it so that way they can't lysandre them up and keep them stuck in the active spot!

I've played Giratina EX with Vilplume a lot since the release of Ancient Origins. It's so much fun to see the opponent get another card in their hand each turn that they can't use :p The deck really shines if you get your set-up right during the first turns. Though this may be difficult at times. Charging Giratina EX with Double Dragon / Colorless Energy is an easy task without means to discard the special energy.

It's also nice to see another player that loves the new Weavile card. It has so many uses. I replace Zoroark with Weavile as the retreating Pokémon because it can move Float Stone to any Pokémon on your side of the field. I would recommend replacing Manaphy EX with Float Stone for this reason. They both relie on abilities either way. That would be one less easy to K.O. Pokemon EX on your bench. Also you don't have to attach a water energy to Hoopa or Shaymin EX in case they get Lysandre'd. I like healing decks, so I may try this deck idea out if you don't mind. Good article!
I actually like that idea! I can't believe I didn't think of that, the idea of Float stone is a much better option, however garbodor hurts them both just as bad, but luckily the float stone will still work, and I'd be more than happy for you to try the Kyogre/Scarf deck!

"Why you shouldn't believe everything you read."

Because you play what you like and kill meta as hard as possible. Destroy it. Besides, people who tell you NOT to do something actually are trying to defend their own playing. Much like when you read people's decklists online, they actually have a deck that can destroy that one.

Do what you want and just ignore the nonsense of other people telling you not to count on anything.
I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to say here. I do know though, that every deck currently in the meta right now suffers from at least one auto loss. It's hard to find one that is well rounded, without losing in some other aspect.

Hammers are a huge pain to go against. energy removal is always a headache because any energy removed just basically either wasted your last turn attachment.

Hammers are a huge pain to go against. energy removal is always a headache because any energy removed just basically either wasted your last turn attachment.

Agreed. I wish they could manage something else for this. I feel like its messing with a win condition.

I'm a bit late on the wagon, but I really like the meta summary here - always a useful resource! I've always really liked Banette myself and have wanted to use it, and this season is a perfect time for it! Have you used it any non-EX decks in particular and found it noticeably useful?

Its all fair game seeing as its a coin flip, the had to change pokemon catcher to at least make it more of a chance. the coin flip makes it fair.

Its not really fair even as a coin flip. It makes the game to where you lose to a coin flip or win because of them. You can't plan for gameplay mechanics like. Its like losing to Noivern because your opponent hit heads 7 times during the game preventing you from doing damage while they hammer you. You need energy to attack and the only thing between you and your energy is a coin flip and since every deck in standard but one needs energy to attack, it shouldn't be as easy to discard them. MtG got it right with land removal cards. Because you need them to play the game, the cost to remove them from play is often high. If crushing hammer had a 2-3 card discard cost in addition to the coin flip, it would be balanced.

Back