• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Volcanoes and Dogs (Growlithe Combo With Volcanion EX/New Donphan?)

MegaCentral

Aspiring Trainer
Pokemon (13)
4 Growlithe (Evolutions)
4 Volcanion EX (STS)
1 Carbink (Safeguard FC)
1 Wailord EX
2 Shaymin EX (RS)
1 Hoopa EX (AO)

Trainers (36)
1 Prof Letter
3 Trainer's Mail
1 Energy Recycler
4 VS Seeker
3 FFB
4 Ultra Ball
1 Ninja Boy
3 Float Stone
4 Sycamore
2 Lysandre
1 Escape Rope
3 Skyfield
2 Prof Birch
4 Energy Retrieval

Energy (11)
11 Fire Energy

Strategy: Using Growlithe from Evolutions and his attack "Kick and Run" we do 10 damage and we switch with a benched pokemon. Growlithe has 70 HP but we can make him better! Fighting Fury Belt is now 110 HP and 20 damage for 1 Energy, but wait, theres more. If we add Volcanion into the scene we can do up to 140 damage for 1 Energy. Since we don't run baby volcanion, we use energy retrievals and a copy of energy recycler to shuffle energy and take back energy from our discard pile, because we will be steaming up a lot. Now with our bench, our deck relies on having good bench sitters, since robo substitute is gone, we have to stick to safeguarders, and fat hp pokemon. I chose 1 copy of carbink and a copy of wailord, will probally change later though. Also I don't play N, because we are usually capable of taking the first prizes because of how fast this deck can be, instead Prof, Birch is a good change, if you ask me. Problem is we get destroyed by Garbodor and Hex, I think this deck is fast enough to lysandre a trubbish and get it before the evolution, maybe even when its a garb. We also obviously run float stone for free retreat, so that way we repeat process. So, what are your thoughts? Also please help me improve on this deck, how to counter garbs, hex, and just improvements for consistancy.

have to wait for the English versions wording but a starmie line from evolutions could be good for recycling energy consistently.

Pokemon (13)
4 Growlithe (Evolutions)
4 Volcanion EX (STS)
1 Carbink (Safeguard FC)
1 Wailord EX
2 Shaymin EX (RS)
1 Hoopa EX (AO)

Trainers (36)
1 Prof Letter
3 Trainer's Mail
1 Energy Recycler
4 VS Seeker
3 FFB
4 Ultra Ball
1 Ninja Boy
3 Float Stone
4 Sycamore
2 Lysandre
1 Escape Rope
3 Skyfield
2 Prof Birch
4 Energy Retrieval

Energy (11)
11 Fire Energy

Strategy: Using Growlithe from Evolutions and his attack "Kick and Run" we do 10 damage and we switch with a benched pokemon. Growlithe has 70 HP but we can make him better! Fighting Fury Belt is now 110 HP and 20 damage for 1 Energy, but wait, theres more. If we add Volcanion into the scene we can do up to 140 damage for 1 Energy. Since we don't run baby volcanion, we use energy retrievals and a copy of energy recycler to shuffle energy and take back energy from our discard pile, because we will be steaming up a lot. Now with our bench, our deck relies on having good bench sitters, since robo substitute is gone, we have to stick to safeguarders, and fat hp pokemon. I chose 1 copy of carbink and a copy of wailord, will probally change later though. Also I don't play N, because we are usually capable of taking the first prizes because of how fast this deck can be, instead Prof, Birch is a good change, if you ask me. Problem is we get destroyed by Garbodor and Hex, I think this deck is fast enough to lysandre a trubbish and get it before the evolution, maybe even when its a garb. We also obviously run float stone for free retreat, so that way we repeat process. So, what are your thoughts? Also please help me improve on this deck, how to counter garbs, hex, and just improvements for consistancy.
N is always a good play, whether or whether not you take the first prize cards. I suggest adding two and taking out two energy retrieval.

Good idea, maybe a 2-2.... Just to be safe, because if one staryu or starmie is prized the game falls apart.

One card you might find interesting would be Bide Barricade Wobbuffet from Generations (so it's still tourney legal).

With Float Stone, you can have a mostly reliable ability lock that will help a lot. You can put it active after Growlithe attacks, and you'll full stop any Volcanion variant that can't find Lysandre. You'll also block Shaymin, which is instrumental for setup. It saw a lot of success with Donphan, which is very similar to this deck.

There's really nothing you can do against Garbodor though. Volc will always struggle with it.

One card you might find interesting would be Bide Barricade Wobbuffet from Generations (so it's still tourney legal).

With Float Stone, you can have a mostly reliable ability lock that will help a lot. You can put it active after Growlithe attacks, and you'll full stop any Volcanion variant that can't find Lysandre. You'll also block Shaymin, which is instrumental for setup. It saw a lot of success with Donphan, which is very similar to this deck.

There's really nothing you can do against Garbodor though. Volc will always struggle with it.
Good idea, totally forgot about Wobbufett, I guess i just got to hope a good counter for garb comes in sun and moon base I guess. Thanks for the idea :D

Back