• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Expanded Making Rainbow Road Fit for Expanded

theravagedcabbage

Aspiring Trainer
Hey everyone,

I will be attending a regionals tournament in November and would like to take my current Standard deck, Rainbow Road, and make it fit for Expanded so I can keep up with some of the dominant decks in this format. I recently started playing post-rotation after a year long hiatus, so I'm not totally up to snuff on on what to expect (besides Toad, Night March, and Lasers). Any advice on how to adjust my deck to fit this format would be greatly appreciated.

Pokémon: 16
  • 4 Xerneas (Breakthrough)
  • 2-1 Bisharp (Steam Siege)
  • 2-1 Galvantula (Steam Siege)
  • 1 Mew (FC)
  • 1 Carbink (Energy Keeper Ability) (FC)
  • 1 Shaymin-EX (Roaring Skies)
  • 2-1 Ninetales (Primal Clash)
Supporters/Trainers/Stadiums: 33
  • 4 Professor Sycamore
  • 3 N
  • 1 Lysandre
  • 1 Team Mates

• 3 Trainer's Mail
  • 1 Special Charge
  • 2 Crushing Hammer
  • 1 Super Rod
  • 3 Ultra Ball
  • 3 VS Seeker
  • 2 Max Elixir
  • 1 Switch
  • 1 Float Stone
  • 1 EXP Share
  • 3 Fighting Fury Belt
  • 1 Faded Town
  • 1 Silent Lab
  • 1 Parallel City
Energy: 11
  • 7 Fairy Energy
  • 4 DCE
The goal is to set up your bench with Pokemon of various typings (hence the dual-type Pokemon) and use Xerneas's Rainbow Force, which will do 10 plus 30 for each unique typing on your bench. Any and all feedback will be appreciated. Thanks!

I'd say...

+1 Volcanion-EX (dual type)
+3 Sky Field
+1 VS Seeker
+1 Dragon type
+1 Galvantula (Actually a useful Pokemon for emergency attacks since it hits benched Pokemon for weakness. Can 2HKO benched Shaymins)

- All the stadium cards
-2 Fairy Energy
-1 N
-1 Mew

Maybe if you feel you'll be going against a lot of Night March, use Enhanced Hammer instead of Crushing hammer to get to those DCEs directly.

(Take my advice with a grain of salt because I don't usually play Expanded matches!)

One of your hardest match ups is going to be Trevanant BREAK. Trevanant will lock out your items and the opponent will remove your energies. I would look into having a Mr Mime with Bench Barrier to protect your bench and Hex Maniac to prevent the Item Lock.

This deck is pretty difficult to get going as it takes a lot of cards to set up and deal significant damage but once it gets going, it is very powerful. I think you would rather have the extra Float Stones to prevent from getting Lysandre stalled over having Fighting Fury Belt.

That being said, I still believe Trevanant BREAK to be the deck of choice as it stalls, controls, and DESTROYS Night March.

One of your hardest match ups is going to be Trevanant BREAK. Trevanant will lock out your items and the opponent will remove your energies. I would look into having a Mr Mime with Bench Barrier to protect your bench and Hex Maniac to prevent the Item Lock.

This deck is pretty difficult to get going as it takes a lot of cards to set up and deal significant damage but once it gets going, it is very powerful. I think you would rather have the extra Float Stones to prevent from getting Lysandre stalled over having Fighting Fury Belt.

That being said, I still believe Trevanant BREAK to be the deck of choice as it stalls, controls, and DESTROYS Night March.
Trevenant BREAK put damage counter so Mr. Mime won't help

Back