What is the Difference Between Hex Maniac and Pokemon Ranger?

ultimate

Aspiring Trainer
Hi kinda new to the game so sorry but what is the difference between pokemon ranger and hex maniac?

Moved this post into its own thread, since it's asking a separate question. ~bbninjas

Hex Maniac is a Supporter that nullifies or "turns off" Pokémon Abilities from the moment played through the end of his/her opponent's turn. All Pokémon whether in play, in hands and both discard piles are affected. Example: player A whose active Pokémon is an Yveltal EX can not normally inflict damage from its attack onto a defending Carbink because of Carbink's Safeguard Ability. However, should player A play a Hex Maniac, player A can then attack and inflict damage onto the defending Carbink.

Pokémon Ranger is another Supporter that also momentarily turns off a "lingering" (i.e., extends beyond the current player's (initiator) turn) effect a player A may have imposed upon player B. Example: player A, using Giratina EX's Chaos Wheel attack, inflicts damage as well as imposes an effect onto player B preventing player B from attaching Special energy and Tools and placing Stadiums on player B's next turn. However, should player B play a Pokémon Ranger, the Chaos Wheel attack's effect is terminated immediately and player B can attach Special energy and Tools and place a Stadium. Note that if player A attack's effect had placed damage counters, this effect is not lingering, but immediate and done. So, player B, playing a Pokémon Ranger, could not undo the previous player A turn's damage counter placements. It is also my understanding that Pokémon Ranger will not undo Special Conditions imposed by player A on his/her previous turn.

Lastly, should you have any concerns, especially during any upcoming tournament, I'd suggest you consult with the head before the tournament starts and even during the tournament, if need be. Also note that some official rulings may not always be current when new cards are released; so, some "local" rulings may apply.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Wow! That was a great explanation, yah I was also unsure about Pokemon ranger vs special conditions but you cleared that up too :D thanks buddy.

Hex Maniac is a Supporter that nullifies or "turns off" Pokémon Abilities from the moment played through the end of his/her opponent's turn. All Pokémon whether in play, in hands and both discard piles are affected. Example: player A whose active Pokémon is an Yveltal EX can not normally attack a defending Carbink because of Carbink's Safeguard Ability. However, should player A play a Hex Maniac, player A can then attack the defending Carbink.

Noticed a typo, then something related that might be worth addressing so...

Yes Hex Maniac is a Supporter that negates (or nullifies or "turns off") Pokémon Abilities, starting the moment it is played and lasting until the end of the other player's next turn. It shuts down Abilities on all Pokémon on the field, in hand, or in either player's discard pile. It also shuts down the Abilities of a Pokémon that goes from one of these places to another. Notice how I'm not just saying your opponent's cards in these locations, but your own as well. Revising the example, Carbink (XY: Fates Collide 50/124) has the Ability "Safeguard", which states "Prevent all effects of attacks, including damage, done to this Pokémon by your opponent’s Pokémon-EX." You can attack it with Yveltal-EX but while Safeguard is working, it will do no damage. Since you can already attack, Hex Maniac allows you to shut down Safeguard so that the damage from either attack on Yveltal-EX can happen.

Back