• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Explosive Volcanion

gumball51321

*thumbs up*
Hey guys, I've been trying out new decks to play in the format, and I just can't get a decent list for them, or rather, Volcanion. I mainly can't decide what to put in the extra spaces, so I look for the help of better players who have piloted the deck already. Here's the list:

Pokemon 11
  • 4 Volcanion-EX
  • 4 Volcanion
  • 2 Shaymin-EX
  • 1 Hoopa-EX

Trainers 37
  • 4 Sycamore
  • 3 N
  • 2 Lysandre
  • 1 Pokemon Ranger
  • 1 Ninja Boy
  • 3 Sky Field
  • 3 FFB
  • 2 Float Stone
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 4 Trainers' Mail
  • 4 VS Seeker
  • 1 Prof. Letter
  • 1 Enhanced Hammer
  • 1 Super Rod
  • 1 Escape Rope
  • 1 Olympia
  • 1 Fisherman

• 11 Fire Energy
Free Space:1

So yeah, if anyone who's played the deck before can help me, that would be awesome. Thanks for helping!
EDIT #2: Added Olympia and Fisherman.
I don't think multiple Switch is worth it. With 4 VS Seeker to get back things such as Olympia and Pokemon Ranger, Volcanion-EX's attack really is no problem, plus, I can retreat, Fisherman, Steam Up, and power the bench back up. That's all for now.

Last edited:

Arizaiaz

Aspiring Trainer
I've never piloted a Volcanion list myself but have sure played against quite a few of them. I think your pokemon line up is ideal. But I would drop the Scorched Earth and up Skyfield by 1/2. From what I've seen an early Skyfield helps tremendously in getting off to an explosive start and you want to be saving your energies for Steam Ups most of the time anyways. Aside from that I would add 2 Energy Retrieval as well, the energy can immediately be used for more Steam Ups to help reach for big KOs. I think 1 or 2 more switching cards are necessary as well. Switches and Escape Ropes will help against Fright Night Yveltal and Regice/Jolteon respectively but also consider Olympia for the slot, I think she is an underrated card right now.

Hope this helps!

gumball51321

*thumbs up*
I've never piloted a Volcanion list myself but have sure played against quite a few of them. I think your pokemon line up is ideal. But I would drop the Scorched Earth and up Skyfield by 1/2. From what I've seen an early Skyfield helps tremendously in getting off to an explosive start and you want to be saving your energies for Steam Ups most of the time anyways. Aside from that I would add 2 Energy Retrieval as well, the energy can immediately be used for more Steam Ups to help reach for big KOs. I think 1 or 2 more switching cards are necessary as well. Switches and Escape Ropes will help against Fright Night Yveltal and Regice/Jolteon respectively but also consider Olympia for the slot, I think she is an underrated card right now.

Hope this helps!
Thanks for the critique! Yeah, I was debating putting Scorched Earth over the other Sky Field, or the other way around, so I just went with the split. But yeah, that makes sense to use the Sky Field to just explode T1. I should've put Escape Rope in my skeleton list, cause' I'm pretty sure I had it in the list I wrote on paper, so I must've just forgot about it. And I agree, Olympia is underrated, and I was going to put it in the skeleton, but I opted out of it for the time being.
I'm still deciding whether or not to put in Retrievals, but that's probably a good idea.

Apterous

Aspiring Trainer
Yeah, I run a lot more switch (2 switch, 3 float stones) since V-EX is huge Lysandre bait. Also, if you use Volcanion-EX's attack, it can't be used next turn, so you're going to want a way to retreat. In addition, energy recovery (multiple combination of energy retrieval / Fisherman) is a must so you can get energy back in hand, rather than just putting to bench with baby volcanion's attack.

I like FFB on the baby Volcanions but when I use it on V-EX I typically end up stuck in active so maybe start cutting there to make room. That and Trainers Mail.

I used scorched earth over sky field but that one's preferece... TBH I've been thinking of going to Sky Field, but I can sometimes find Ninja Boy to clear out a Hoopa for another Volcanion.

AquaDragon82

The Canadian Gamer
One great Tech card that I would suggest is Olympia. Olympia has saved me several times before and with a Volcanion deck, which most of the Pokémon in the deck have rather heavy retreat cost, so its definetely a card worth adding to the deck

gumball51321

*thumbs up*
Thank you guys so much for helping! I'm editing the list now.
Also: As of this post, I only have one more space in the deck, I might just add a 4th Sky Field so I can almost guarantee to explode T1.

Last edited:

AquaDragon82

The Canadian Gamer
Actually, a card that also has helped me a lot in my Volcanion deck is Energy Reset since it helps to get the energy from your field back to your hand.

gumball51321

*thumbs up*
Actually, a card that also has helped me a lot in my Volcanion deck is Energy Reset since it helps to get the energy from your field back to your hand.
I had thought about that, but I felt that it was an unreliable 1-of. Since as of right now, I don't have access to my trainers, I can't playtest with it. But I'll definitely try it.