Speed M Rayquaza-EX

Asclepius24

Aspiring Trainer
This thread is for all discussion of competitive M Rayquaza-EX variants in the Standard format. This includes strategies and matchups.

You may post decklists here, but only as a means to add to the discussion. If you're looking for advice on your list, please post in the Deck Garage.

M Rayquaza-EX Skeleton List:

Pokemon: 13
  • 4 Rayquaza-EX ROS 75
  • 3 M Rayquaza-EX ROS 76
  • 4 Shaymin-EX ROS 77
  • 2 Hoopa-EX AOR 36
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: 34
  • 3 Professor Sycamore
  • 2 N
  • 2 Lysandre
  • 2 Hex Maniac
  • 4 VS Seeker
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 4 Trainers' Mail
  • 3 Rayquaza Spirit Link
  • 3 Mega Turbo
  • 2 Super Rod
  • 1 Special Charge
  • 4 Sky Field
Energy: 8
  • 4 Double Colorless Energy
  • 4 Basic Energy
Open spots: 5

Notes:
  • M Rayquaza-EX can run with support Pokemon of any type. Popular inclusions include Metal for Magearna-EX and Water for Manaphy-EX.

PineDog

Random TCG Trainer
Great to see the new format up! Personally I run M Ray with Magearna-EX, Cobalion, and a 1-1 Zoroark line, ever since I changed it from a M Ray/Raichu variant into that, I have been doing extremely well with it. I would really recommend it.

GengarGuys

"Pickle Enthusiast"
I run my list with only 3 Shaymin-EX and a 1-1 Zoroark line along with some added in Tech Trainers also a Glaceon-EX and a Manaphy-EX.

Frontier Brain David

Aspiring Trainer
Hello fellow Mega Ray players. n_n
Do you include Karen in your builds? If so how many? Everyone at my locals plays Parallel City so I'm thinking maybe one Karen and one Super Rod?

Frontier Brain David

Aspiring Trainer
I'm also running a 2-2 line of Zoroark along with 1 Jolteon-EX. I am not quite sure about the steel version since I myself am not a fan of Magearna-EX. I like the concept but I believe there has been an article written about how it hinders your Mega Mewtwo-EX match-up due to free damage changes on their part. I have not tried the water variant yet so I can't have an opinion on it yet.

ProZlockie

Meow? Meow.
Do you include Karen in your builds? If so how many? Everyone at my locals plays Parallel City so I'm thinking maybe one Karen and one Super Rod?
I'll probably do a 1-1 split of it, once i obtain a Karen. However, another card that I'm taking into consideration is the new Brock coming out in Evolutions.

AquaDragon82

The Canadian Gamer
Wouldn't a 2-2 Vulpix/Ninetales line be good in the deck? Or is the threat of Mega Scizor too common to play it?

judekevinchu

Aspiring Trainer
Wouldn't a 2-2 Vulpix/Ninetales line be good in the deck? Or is the threat of Mega Scizor too common to play it?
Instead of the 1-1 Ninetales line, you could just have the trainers and supporters to recycle your pokemon, then use again another Sky Field. In this way, you will not lock out yourself on playing stadiums.

gumball51321

*thumbs up*
In my Mega Ray list, I play a 4-3 line of Ray, 1 Jolteon, and 1 Jirachi. I feel like a stage 1 is too hard to get out in a speed deck,especially if it's unnecessary. I don't play the deck ATM, but I still have my list and everything for the deck. I feel like it's not as good in this format, but I still think it can work. Even though you can come back from it, it's really hard to do against Parallel City.

ProZlockie

Meow? Meow.
I personally do, and it's worked out great for me thus far. The only way they'll be getting rid of your stadium after you get at least one of them set up is either via Delinquent or a Hex Maniac play. If it's via Hex Maniac, you can just slap down another one on your turn since the Ability is still turned off. And if they played Hex and used Giratina-EX, hello Pokemon Ranger to allow you to do things again, plus the attack since Hex shuts off Giratina as well. Now Delinquent can be tricky, but attacking for 150 a turn still isn't terrible. But I haven't even seen Delinquent being played much at all right now.

AquaDragon82

The Canadian Gamer
I personally do, and it's worked out great for me thus far. The only way they'll be getting rid of your stadium after you get at least one of them set up is either via Delinquent or a Hex Maniac play. If it's via Hex Maniac, you can just slap down another one on your turn since the Ability is still turned off. And if they played Hex and used Giratina-EX, hello Pokemon Ranger to allow you to do things again, plus the attack since Hex shuts off Giratina as well. Now Delinquent can be tricky, but attacking for 150 a turn still isn't terrible. But I haven't even seen Delinquent being played much at all right now.
Delinquent isn't played often, but Mega Scizor, which can also bump your Sky Field, is rather common. What makes Mega Scizor such a nuisance with Sky Filed and Ninetales is that once that stadium is gone, you HAVE to get rid of Ninetales or else no one gets stadiums or you need a Hex Maniac to play another Sky Field.

mKnox

Aspiring Trainer
Im currently playing almost the same list posted in the OP with the open slots being taken by:
3 Jolteon-EX
1 Karen
1 Escape Rope

And the differences being:
-1 Super Rod
+1 Rayquaza Spirit Link

I´ve tried many variants and opted for the Jolteons-EX in the end.
I know that Jolteon-EX isnt as effective in the current meta but the main reason you want Jolteon-EX over any other variant is the free retreat cost and te ability to be Hoopa´d.

The whole point of this deck is being able to start taking 1HKOs turn 1 or turn 2 at most.
With just the 4 Rayquazas you have 54% chance of not starting with a Rayquaza, in half of your matches you will have to rely on getting a Float Stone or Escape Rope to be able to go off turn 1 or 2 hurting the efficiency of the deck.

If you play 4 Rayquazas and 3 Jolteon you have only a 18% chance of not starting with either Rayquaza or Jolteon so you will have an easier time to get a Rayquaza into the active position turn 1.

Once Evolutions gets released I will probably replace the Karen with Brock´s and replace the remaining Super Rod for another Special Charge.

gumball51321

*thumbs up*
When Evolutions comes out, this deck will not only get back the power it lost, but I think it will be stronger than ever. Like mKnox said, Jolteon has free retreat and Hoopa-able, so that's pretty much the best thing we have now, but once Dragonite-EX hits, Mega Ray can drop the Jolteons to gain even more speed, but even recovery late game, which is usually really hard to do. Between Dragonite-EX and Special Charge, as long as we replace their stadium, we can almost come back instantaneously! Of course there are flaws in this plan, like there's still over a month before the set releases, and about 2 months before it's legal. But I would like to see more of this. :D

ProZlockie

Meow? Meow.
Delinquent isn't played often, but Mega Scizor, which can also bump your Sky Field, is rather common. What makes Mega Scizor such a nuisance with Sky Filed and Ninetales is that once that stadium is gone, you HAVE to get rid of Ninetales or else no one gets stadiums or you need a Hex Maniac to play another Sky Field.
Yeah, I encountered a M Scizor-EX deck last night at a local event >.> I should've won game 3 but we ended up taking a draw because my opponent slow played beyond believe. Not sure if it was just him or if it's common for people who play Scizor, but he seemed to target my DCE more than Sky Field.

Higliphics

Competitive TCG Player
Maybe do Brock and Karen? Brock's Guts lets you take 6 Basic Energy or Pokemon and put them back into your deck. Plus side to Brock is that your opponent cannot put Pokemon back into their hand as well, like they can with Karen. Gets rid of the Super Rod and lets you get more back. Only thing that is nice about Super Rod is that it isn't a supporter. Lots to consider!

Higliphics

Competitive TCG Player
Yeah, I encountered a M Scizor-EX deck last night at a local event >.> I should've won game 3 but we ended up taking a draw because my opponent slow played beyond believe. Not sure if it was just him or if it's common for people who play Scizor, but he seemed to target my DCE more than Sky Field.
I have had to start calling judge on slow play. It got so bad that I have faced people and we both have had plenty of prize cards left because they refuse to make moves. One guy makes it obvious by watching other people playing and chiming into their conversation on THEIR TURN. Drives me nuts.

gumball51321

*thumbs up*
It's common. Would you rather your opponent hit for less damage, or not hit you at all? You got to make sure you can output better damage than they can, otherwise you lose. TBH, M Scizor beats almost the whole format.

Higliphics

Competitive TCG Player
It's common. Would you rather your opponent hit for less damage, or not hit you at all? You got to make sure you can output better damage than they can, otherwise you lose. TBH, M Scizor beats almost the whole format.
I have yet to see a good MScizor build in my area. I see people attempt, but it never works out for them.