I'm About to Become an Adult!

98Greener

tree noises
So. I'm 17 years old as of this post. In less than a week, I'm going to turn 18. That means I'm going to be legally marked as an adult. I'm still in school, but after I graduate, I have no clue what happens next. I also have a job, but it pays only minimum wage.

I have no idea what to expect. Frankly, I'm spooked at the premise. Could you adults lend any advice?

I highly recommend pursuing some form of higher education after high school. Even if you can't afford to attend a full university, local community colleges offer a lot of options, and/or you can pursue certification/licensing for other jobs as well (computer coding, becoming a nurse, etc.). It costs money in the short term (loans/scholarships aside), but will set you up for better chances of success in the long term.

Being an adult isn't really a magical switch or anything. We're fumbling through life just the same as you are. I'm turning 31 in a couple months and I still don't really feel like a proper adult.

I highly recommend pursuing some form of higher education after high school.

@98Greener

Determine your goals in life, what you are willing to do to achieve them, and what you enjoy. I quoted Athena because until after I'd graduated from a four year university (in five and a half years >.>). I went in with dreams, not proper goals. I always had liked school in general... but not actual studying. If you go to college and are not already the kind of person who enjoys independent study where you really do read up (mostly in published papers, studies, technical journals, etc.) on your main area of interest, college is not for you. Many universities will try to convince you otherwise because you meet some minimal qualifications and they want your money, as well as often holding to the company line; they may be sincere in thinking everyone needs higher education, but try to think of someone like Hank Hill going on about "propane and propane accessories" if you need the help in seeing them for what they are. Sincere does not mean correct. ;)

Now if you are interested in actual study; not just "the college experience" often portrayed in fiction, and waxed about almost poetically in pop culture, then a university may be for you. Next step is affording it. I paid for it with student loans and Pell Grants. The Pell Grant is fine to take if you qualify; student loans are a trap. I scoffed at the notion when I was going to school myself, even though I'd had family members that had quite a time paying them off, even though everyone joked about how terrible they were. I just didn't understand the knowing smile, of people joking about something not because it isn't serious, but because it is so serious if they don't joke about it they'll cry. If you or your family cannot pay for your education outright, and you are certain it is the correct path for you, then its time to get a job and save up! Even minimum wage may be enough if your family is okay with you staying with them and absorbing most of your living expenses. Otherwise, you'll have to knuckle down and find a job you may not like. This isn't a career, this is you selling your time and labor to bring in the money you need to pursue your career.

What if college isn't for you? If you have a career you know you want to pursue, then either seek an entry level position (or position in a related field that will make entering your desired field easier) or if you want something that still requires significant trading, there are trade schools that will get you properly equipped. What if you aren't sure what you want to do at all? Then keep working, keep an eye out for opportunities to advance that suit you, and learn proper financial habits; living according to what you earn, not what you want and your credit rating will allow, and while saving as well. In fact, whichever path you take I strongly recommend Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University. Yes, it is annoying that he named it "university" but at the time, it made more sense. =P This is a course I myself have taken; the people I know who have either taken it and actually implemented it in their lives or already learned the lessons naturally are the ones who have about as much control over their lives as one can hope. They aren't rich beyond their wildest dreams or anything, but they are content and have the kind of freedom that most debt riddled Americans do not. I am not among them because I took the course, but I have not followed it properly. Depending on who you ask I may have a valid reason for deviating from it (health and employment issues).

Adulthood isn't all teenagers crack it up to be.

Get a job, preferably a better than minimum wage one. Pay bills. Save for retirement. Best part is you can buy your own food.

Higher education is becoming a necessity for most jobs, so you'll likely have to deal with it. The financial, and larger opportunity, costs of university need to be considered. Will you be making enough money in your desired career after university to make up for the lost time and money you could've earned working instead of going to university?

The biggest tip I can give you is to milk off your parents as long as you can. Live with them for as long as you can. You will save thousands of dollars a month doing this. Start by offering to pay your own bills (phone bill, car insurance, etc.), and they'll appreciate the extra income you're giving them.

Being an adult is a lot harder then you think :D
anyway have fun while it lasts :)

What kinds of things interest you? Find out something you really have a passion for and stick with it. I recommend starting college sooner rather than later because you will be eligible for more scholarships and grants. Whatever you can get for free money, do it. Don't be afraid to take out a student loan if you have to. Going to college full-time I know gives you some kind of tax break so be sure to ask a tax advisor about that. Some employers may have partnerships with one or more colleges where you can get a discount or even free credits. I know Walmart has a deal with American Public University.

Originally I tried going to college without any kind of loan, but by the time I got halfway through I had to get a loan. I paid off my student loan in full even though it took 8 years after graduating and that's even with taking a couple vacations a year for Pokemon activities.

This is all a hecka lot to take in, but it's seriously helpful to see all this advice. :) I feel like I have a little bit more confidence for my transition into adulthood.

I highly recommend pursuing some form of higher education after high school. Even if you can't afford to attend a full university, local community colleges offer a lot of options, and/or you can pursue certification/licensing for other jobs as well (computer coding, becoming a nurse, etc.). It costs money in the short term (loans/scholarships aside), but will set you up for better chances of success in the long term.

Being an adult isn't really a magical switch or anything. We're fumbling through life just the same as you are. I'm turning 31 in a couple months and I still don't really feel like a proper adult.
It's nice to see that not every adult is...perfect. College seems like a logical first step.

@98Greener

Determine your goals in life, what you are willing to do to achieve them, and what you enjoy. I quoted Athena because until after I'd graduated from a four year university (in five and a half years >.>). I went in with dreams, not proper goals. I always had liked school in general... but not actual studying. If you go to college and are not already the kind of person who enjoys independent study where you really do read up (mostly in published papers, studies, technical journals, etc.) on your main area of interest, college is not for you. Many universities will try to convince you otherwise because you meet some minimal qualifications and they want your money, as well as often holding to the company line; they may be sincere in thinking everyone needs higher education, but try to think of someone like Hank Hill going on about "propane and propane accessories" if you need the help in seeing them for what they are. Sincere does not mean correct. ;)

Now if you are interested in actual study; not just "the college experience" often portrayed in fiction, and waxed about almost poetically in pop culture, then a university may be for you. Next step is affording it. I paid for it with student loans and Pell Grants. The Pell Grant is fine to take if you qualify; student loans are a trap. I scoffed at the notion when I was going to school myself, even though I'd had family members that had quite a time paying them off, even though everyone joked about how terrible they were. I just didn't understand the knowing smile, of people joking about something not because it isn't serious, but because it is so serious if they don't joke about it they'll cry. If you or your family cannot pay for your education outright, and you are certain it is the correct path for you, then its time to get a job and save up! Even minimum wage may be enough if your family is okay with you staying with them and absorbing most of your living expenses. Otherwise, you'll have to knuckle down and find a job you may not like. This isn't a career, this is you selling your time and labor to bring in the money you need to pursue your career.

What if college isn't for you? If you have a career you know you want to pursue, then either seek an entry level position (or position in a related field that will make entering your desired field easier) or if you want something that still requires significant trading, there are trade schools that will get you properly equipped. What if you aren't sure what you want to do at all? Then keep working, keep an eye out for opportunities to advance that suit you, and learn proper financial habits; living according to what you earn, not what you want and your credit rating will allow, and while saving as well. In fact, whichever path you take I strongly recommend Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University. Yes, it is annoying that he named it "university" but at the time, it made more sense. =P This is a course I myself have taken; the people I know who have either taken it and actually implemented it in their lives or already learned the lessons naturally are the ones who have about as much control over their lives as one can hope. They aren't rich beyond their wildest dreams or anything, but they are content and have the kind of freedom that most debt riddled Americans do not. I am not among them because I took the course, but I have not followed it properly. Depending on who you ask I may have a valid reason for deviating from it (health and employment issues).

holy balls this is a lot to take in. I can see why you have the Prized Discussion trophy. I think I might just, like, print this all out and study it.

The biggest tip I can give you is to milk off your parents as long as you can. Live with them for as long as you can. You will save thousands of dollars a month doing this. Start by offering to pay your own bills (phone bill, car insurance, etc.), and they'll appreciate the extra income you're giving them.

My parents have agreed to let me stay in their house until I'm 20 years old. That gives me a bit of time to figure stuff out.

Being an adult is a lot harder then you think :D
anyway have fun while it lasts :)

That's why I'm also not sort of excited for it...but at the same time, more privileges, like...uh, free drinks!

What kinds of things interest you? Find out something you really have a passion for and stick with it. I recommend starting college sooner rather than later because you will be eligible for more scholarships and grants. Whatever you can get for free money, do it. Don't be afraid to take out a student loan if you have to. Going to college full-time I know gives you some kind of tax break so be sure to ask a tax advisor about that. Some employers may have partnerships with one or more colleges where you can get a discount or even free credits. I know Walmart has a deal with American Public University.

Originally I tried going to college without any kind of loan, but by the time I got halfway through I had to get a loan. I paid off my student loan in full even though it took 8 years after graduating and that's even with taking a couple vacations a year for Pokemon activities.

I am seriously interested in video games - more than just a general interest in playing them. Creating games would be a dream of mine. The problem is, finding out which field I like best. I'm leaning towards character and level design...stuff like that.

Again, all this stuff is super helpful. Thank you so far. :D

If you go to college, be prepared for stress. And studying. Loootttsss of studying. (Yeah, I know I'm 13, but some of the people I know are in college and it's hard)

If you go to college, be prepared for stress. And studying. Loootttsss of studying. (Yeah, I know I'm 13, but some of the people I know are in college and it's hard)
It's not that hard if you know how to manage your time. If you can't manage your time (or your money for that matter), then it goes without saying that you're not ready for adulthood.

Obviously if you write papers the day before like 80% of college/university students do, it's going to be stressful. But that's a really stupid thing to do when you get the due dates so far in advance. The college experience is one thing (though it's really not what it's hyped up to be imo), but don't forget the reason you signed up for college and are spending the thousands of dollars for: the degree.

My parents have agreed to let me stay in their house until I'm 20 years old. That gives me a bit of time to figure stuff out.

This is pretty cool, and you should definitely take the opportunity to work and save some money before you decide on the next step.

About school: don't feel like you have to go immediately, and that you have to get it right the first time. Right out of highschool I went into a program that most matched what I was good at in highschool, and I wound up realizing I hated it. I dropped out after 3 years, and several years later, I'm back in a different program and the work comes much easier for me. But I don't regret those first 3 years, because the only way to find out I would hate that career path was to try it, y'know?

On that note, I found it helped to seek out education that didn't cost a gazillion dollars, because then you don't feel the pressure to stick with something that doesn't work, just to justify the mountain of debt you've accrued, or tuition your parents are paying, or whatever. College in the United States is ludicrously expensive, so I went to school in Canada. There are probably lots of community college options around you as well. In most fields, employers don't actually care about the "prestige" of where you were educated, they care more about your body of work and connections.

But yeah, it must seem like very important decisions are coming up very fast, but you're still super young and have time to make mistakes. Life lasts a really long time. Sometimes I have moments of "oh god I'm 25 and still in school", and coming out of highschool you're used to comparing yourself against people your age, but in the "real world", nobody actually cares about that stuff.

Last edited:
It's not that hard if you know how to manage your time. If you can't manage your time (or your money for that matter), then it goes without saying that you're not ready for adulthood.

Obviously if you write papers the day before like 80% of college/university students do, it's going to be stressful. But that's a really stupid thing to do when you get the due dates so far in advance. The college experience is one thing (though it's really not what it's hyped up to be imo), but don't forget the reason you signed up for college and are spending the thousands of dollars for: the degree.

"Hard" is relative.

I mean some people really do struggle with managing time, but that doesn't make college "hard"... it makes it impossible. ;)

As you say you need to learn how to manage your time and your money and also a lot of impulses you may still have left over from your youth. Seemingly little things can snowball quite easily... and that also applies even if one never attends college. As you've stated, that is what it means to be an adult. Well, part of what it is supposed to mean, anyway.

If you have an idea of what kind of career you want as an adult, make sure to make friends with people in that field. I'm sure you've heard it before "It's not always what you know, but who you know!". And it can be true in a lot of cases. Besides just getting dibs on opportunities, having a social network relevant to what you want to do will indirectly feed you with a little extra experience. It also gives you even more hints if the career you are looking at is what you truly want to do. Seeing the type of people in the field, how their field affects them, and what they get out of their job (besides the money) is very important to observe and see if it is a good fit for you.

Heck, they can also give advice on the best way to break in. College is often a part of that formula, but college alone is rarely enough.

Congrats on being 18!! You can now vote in elections!! Gumshoos will make Alola great again :) But seriously, being an adult, you have more responsibilities.

So many people have university degrees or college diplomas that these "papers" are becoming irrelevant. There are many great successful people like Eminem or Mark Zuckerberg or Bill Gates who dropped out of high school or never finished university. As some people have said, it's not what you know, but who you know.

School only teaches you how to get a job and work for money; it doesn't teach you how money can work for you. This is why some people (even with degrees) struggle financially. Everyone has bills to pay, but sometimes the income from a job is not sufficient. To learn more about alternative income sources, I recommend the book Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki.

Here's my slice of advice from the pie of life:
- Always value time more than money. Time is the only thing you can never buy on ebay. The bank produces a lot of money every year, so money is becoming less valuable. When you are on the verge of death, you will wish you had more time, not money.
- I want you to be a life-long learner; graduation is the beginning of real education.
- I want you to be rich.
- Live a meaningful life and be free.

there is no one "key" to a good adult life, rather we have many of them lying around

aside from what everyone around me has already said, i'd like to add that cultivating relationships with people is totally a good thing

e.g. your job may not be as good as it's made out to be, but if you have a good relationship with your boss and/or your colleagues, it makes things go much smoother

also what's nice is that there's no pressure to do perfect "s-link" runs or any of that stuff, just be yourself and don't act like a jerk... you'll find that people will appreciate that stuff

Honestly, my biggest piece of advice as an adult is to learn how to cook some basics. Learn how to cook things like rice, pasta, meat, and veggies. You don't need to be an Iron Chef, but knowing the basics is essential. It'll save you loads of money in the long run, too.

Also, learn how to spice things. Trust me. Your white rice will be so much tastier with some seasoning.

Where do I start. By law, 18 makes you an adult but do rush into anything. DO NOT go to college. It is a complete waste of time. Take my word for it as Im doing this now. Getting an Associate Degree (2 years) is worth the same as a High School diploma. You'll spend most of your money for classes you don't even need for your degree plan, something like 4000 bucks for 2 years worth of classes. If you do want to continue your education, look at going to a trade school. Its more expensive but you'll only take classes related to what you want to do.

Learn how to write a resume. There are tools out there that can help you out and Microsoft Office has a great template for you to use. I would avoid internships simply because you want a legit job experience. A place that pays you will be different than those who don't. Don't move away from home until you're ready. Most parents are willing to keep you around so use that time. Get a job and save some money. Just tell your parents you'll pay a bill. They love that.

I moved out from my moms place when I as 21 and did a few years but things got hard. Here I am now at 28 and had to move back in with my mom. Its hard out there for people just starting. I can save my money and I offer to pay bills. Rather than trying to get your own, look a finding a roommate you can trust. It can be a friend but take my word that this isn't always the best thing. Its hard to say what it takes to become an adult because there are a lot of factors to consider but always be willing to take advice from those who are doing it. The biggest part of becoming an adult is to fail and learn from it.

Where do I start. By law, 18 makes you an adult but do rush into anything. DO NOT go to college. It is a complete waste of time. Take my word for it as Im doing this now. Getting an Associate Degree (2 years) is worth the same as a High School diploma. You'll spend most of your money for classes you don't even need for your degree plan, something like 4000 bucks for 2 years worth of classes.
No offense but this is bad advice.

Education is a powerful investment in your self, which is your biggest asset. Getting an education will provide you with the skills you need to get any job beyond entry level (being retail and grocery store). Your associate degree won't matter for most professional fields, especially if you're competing against those with bachelors. If you're wanting a career that requires a bachelors, then you have to get the bachelors.

We live in a world that demands experience and education for jobs. Your bachelors degree will not be a waste of money, provided you do it right. Complete it in four years, get good grades, don't slack off, and figure out what you want. It's a whole lot easier to go to college when you're 25 vs when you're 45. Figure out the career you want, then find out what you need to achieve it. Don't let the fear of "college money" scare you away from your dream job. It's an investment; times get a little rough in exchange for greater prosperity later on.

If you're only looking at college as a dollar figure, then you're definitely going for the wrong reason.

No offense but this is bad advice.

Education is a powerful investment in your self, which is your biggest asset. Getting an education will provide you with the skills you need to get any job beyond entry level (being retail and grocery store). Your associate degree won't matter for most professional fields, especially if you're competing against those with bachelors. If you're wanting a career that requires a bachelors, then you have to get the bachelors.

We live in a world that demands experience and education for jobs. Your bachelors degree will not be a waste of money, provided you do it right. Complete it in four years, get good grades, don't slack off, and figure out what you want. It's a whole lot easier to go to college when you're 25 vs when you're 45. Figure out the career you want, then find out what you need to achieve it. Don't let the fear of "college money" scare you away from your dream job. It's an investment; times get a little rough in exchange for greater prosperity later on.

If you're only looking at college as a dollar figure, then you're definitely going for the wrong reason.

I'm not sure what experience you have but this is something I'm doing now and have been doing for 4 years now. My major is game technology and the things they have me doing have both been a waste of time and money, both which are huge when you're an adult. I suggest some kind of trade school if you choose to continue your education since it's more focused. Given what I want to do with my life and what I was offered at the school has largely been a waste of time.

I do agree that education is very important but there should be some kind of focus before deciding to just jump in. I say this because most people want a 2 year degree but with specialized skill sets. If you want an office job, then this is the right thing to do but if you want something in the arts or anything more technical then that isn't the right way to go. Of course I'm speaking as a game designer/artist/animator and the 72+ credit hours of classes I took not related to those have been a huge waste of my time.

I'm not sure what experience you have but this is something I'm doing now and have been doing for 4 years now. My major is game technology and the things they have me doing have both been a waste of time and money, both which are huge when you're an adult. I suggest some kind of trade school if you choose to continue your education since it's more focused. Given what I want to do with my life and what I was offered at the school has largely been a waste of time.

I do agree that education is very important but there should be some kind of focus before deciding to just jump in. I say this because most people want a 2 year degree but with specialized skill sets. If you want an office job, then this is the right thing to do but if you want something in the arts or anything more technical then that isn't the right way to go. Of course I'm speaking as a game designer/artist/animator and the 72+ credit hours of classes I took not related to those have been a huge waste of my time.
I know for a fact that Prof P has also passed a degree of some sort, though I don't know the details.

I have to agree with him as well, though. Education can seem like a huge waste of time -- even in high school I'm learning about trigonometry, adaptations and poetry analysis. This stuff is forced, and completely useless in later life. What isn't useless in later life, however, is a certificate saying that you've learned a bunch of useless crap. If you want a job then people are far likelier to recruit you if you have one of these little certificates. I don't know whether it should be that way or not, but college fees are worth employment later in life. Like Prof P said, it's just an investment, and as such it works the same way as any investment does. You pay in with your time and money, and your payout later on is likelihood of employment.

For most people that's an ideal trade off, but naturally college isn't for everyone and if you do want to pursue a career as something less vocational, like an author or even a video game designer, then the diploma can be worth less. However, it will never be useless. Even if you have to do extra credit which you feel is a waste of time, you will also have covered the basics at some point in your course, and that's what employers really want.

Education is a powerful investment in your self, which is your biggest asset.

Great, but what does that have to do with college? ;)

If the winking emoticon isn't clue enough, the tongue-in-cheek statement is there because many, many college degrees aren't worth the paper upon which they are printed, let alone the actual money you'll have to pay out for them. In an attempt to be concise, there are many degrees for which there is no real job demand and/or dubious standards. There is also an issue about intellectual diversity at most universities in the USA. I cannot speak for elsewhere. Even if one wishes to avoid giving flawed or "bad" ideologies, theories, etc. a chance to spread, the homogeneous nature of thought life on many a campus fails to teach the students how to actually think about their worldviews.

I do not believe college is a waste of time for all. I do believe it ill suited to most, as it has gone from a place of higher learning to a status symbol or cultural rite, antithetical to its intended purpose.

Back