Discussion Starmie/Volcanion

GengarGuys

"Pickle Enthusiast"
Hey Pokebeach, an innovation in the Volcanion deck that may help it in many matchups. Granted it will pretty much autolose to anything with Garbodor.

Starmie – Water – HP90
Stage 1 – Evolves from Staryu

Ability: Galactic Spin
Once during your turn (before your attack), you may discard 1 card from your hand. Then choose 2 basic Energy cards from your discard pile, show them to your opponent, and put them into your hand. (You can’t choose an Energy card that was discarded by this Ability).

[W][C] Star Freeze: 30 damage. Flip a coin. If heads, your opponent’s Active Pokemon is now Paralyzed.

Weakness: Grass (x2)
Resistance: none
Retreat: 1

So I saw Starmie and I saw it was essentially an Energy Retrival within a card. You can also discard cards from your hand then steamp-up to make your shaymins more powerful.

You can also discard cards from your hand then steamp-up to make your shaymins more powerful.[/QUOTE]

How does it make Shaymins more powerful, and why would you even want to do that?
I don't know how I feel about this strategy. After a while, baby Volcanion would have put all of your energy into play, so Starmie can't really grab anything. And if your strategy were to use Dive Ball, then what would use Steam Up on? Volcanion-EX would have no acceleration except Max Elixir, but it would have to constantly switch because its' attack prevents it from attacking next turn. Could you go more in-depth on the strategy?
EDIT: I should also mention that Volcanion only autolosses to Garbodor if you let it. Simply Lysandre-ing and OHKo-ing it will pretty much make like most other matchups.

Tbh i think starmie works great with Pokémon like Primal Ky or Swamper Ancient Trait thx to growth but other than that meh i dont know if this could be Great in a way that would contribute something large to the meta. In fact, evolutions as a whole isnt an expansion thats going change anything at all tbh..

To be fair, Volcanion decks are screwed anyway when put up against Ability Lock, so there's no shame in putting in Starmie.

You can also discard cards from your hand then steamp-up to make your shaymins more powerful.

How does it make Shaymins more powerful, and why would you even want to do that?
I don't know how I feel about this strategy. After a while, baby Volcanion would have put all of your energy into play, so Starmie can't really grab anything. And if your strategy were to use Dive Ball, then what would use Steam Up on? Volcanion-EX would have no acceleration except Max Elixir, but it would have to constantly switch because its' attack prevents it from attacking next turn. Could you go more in-depth on the strategy?
EDIT: I should also mention that Volcanion only autolosses to Garbodor if you let it. Simply Lysandre-ing and OHKo-ing it will pretty much make like most other matchups.[/QUOTE]
It doesn't make Shaymin more powerful. An alarming amount of people misinterpret Volcanion's text.

Shaymins will draw more when you discard a card from your hand. I meant more powerful draw power.

I like the ability and I definitely see the synergy being used. One thing to keep in mind: Will getting a Starmie on your bench be more difficult than using an Energy Retrieval in that turn? It is definitely worth trying out.

Back