• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Volcanion EX - Entei (Post-rotation)

TuxedoBlack

Old School Player
This is a deck I've recently built and tested, and interestingly enough, a player, running a variant of this deck, took 4th place at last weekend's League Challenge. Following is my v1.0 of this deck:

Pokémon (12)
3 Entei (AOR 15)
2 Shaymin EX
4 Volcanion
3 Volcanion EX

Trainers (34)
3 Bursting Balloon (or Max Elixir?)
1 Eco Arm
3 Fighting Fury Belt (or Weakness Policy?)
2 Fisherman
1 Giovanni's Scheme
2 Lysandre
2 N
1 Ninja Boy
1 Olympia
1 Parallel City (3rd Scorched Earth?)
4 Professor Sycamore
1 Professor's Letter
2 Scorched Earth
1 Super Rod
1 Switch
4 Ultra Ball
4 VS Seeker

Energy (14)
3 Double Colorless
11 Fire

Strategy
The main idea is to use Volcanion as a starter in order to power-up the attackers Entei (primary) and Volcanion EX (secondary). Volcanion EX's Ability, Steam Up, boosts your Basic Fire Pokémon's attack by 30 damage AND this damage output boost is stackable. So, Entei and Volcanion attacks can inflict an additional 30 - 90 damage for each Volcanion EX Steam Up Ability used.

Comments

• This particular Entei has an Ancient Trait that allows the attachment of 2 Tools. Of the available Tools, Assualt Vest, Bursting Balloon, Fighting Fury Belt, and Weakness Policy have all performed well in early testing. However, Assualt Vest and Weakness Policy may be more of a meta-game decision. Also, Bursting Balloon could be replaced by Max Elixir for a more aggressive attack strategy.
  • 11 Fire energy seem to be a good amount to support the needed discarding of this energy.
  • Although the 1 Parallel City is a small deterent to M Rayquaza EX decks, it is helpful at times. On the other hand, Scorched Earth is a quite useful Stadium to discard Fire energy that Volcanion can to use to power-up benched Pokémon.
Any questions, constructive thoughts and comments are appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
I would add a third scorched earth instead of the parallel city. Hope this helps ;)

Why do you use the entei 15/98 instead of entei 14/98? I found it personanlly a better option to use the non ancient trait entei as a primary attacker because of his second atttack that does 20 damaga plus an additional 20 damage for each pokemon on the opponent's bench.
I understand that it can be usefull to attach 2 tool cards to one pokemon, especially now because of the lack of tool removal cards, but i see more benefit in the regular entei.
And why the DCE? Are these for powering up the ancient trait entei?
The rest of the deck is pretty solid and i definitely want to play this deck more often this season.
Sorry for my bad english if made some spelling mistakes.

Thanks for the review and your comments; they are appreciated.

Why do you use the entei 15/98 instead of entei 14/98? I found it personanlly a better option to use the non ancient trait entei as a primary attacker because of his second atttack that does 20 damaga plus an additional 20 damage for each pokemon on the opponent's bench.
I decided to use the AT Entei (at least initially), for 2 primary reasons:
  • Multiple Tools (e.g., 2 Fighting Fury Belt) can be attached to it and it can be transformed into a "tank" if need be given the match-up. So, its "survivability" seems greater to me than Entei (AOR 14).
  • Secondly, Entei (AOR 14) 2nd attack's damage output is a base 20 damage and then boosted by the opponent's bench size - which can be climited by the opponent.
I've found that Entei (AOR 15) can just inflict more damage consistently and can take more damage.

And why the DCE? Are these for powering up the ancient trait entei?
Yes. I also have a thought that I may also incorporate Zoroark as a means to get a heavy-retreat costing Volcanion EX out of the active position.

Thanks for the review and your comments; they are appreciated.

I decided to use the AT Entei (at least initially), for 2 primary reasons:
  • Multiple Tools (e.g., 2 Fighting Fury Belt) can be attached to it and it can be transformed into a "tank" if need be given the match-up. So, its "survivability" seems greater to me than Entei (AOR 14).
  • Secondly, Entei (AOR 14) 2nd attack's damage output is a base 20 damage and then boosted by the opponent's bench size - which can be climited by the opponent.
I've found that Entei (AOR 15) can just inflict more damage consistently and can take more damage.

Yes. I also have a thought that I may also incorporate Zoroark as a means to get a heavy-retreat costing Volcanion EX out of the active position.
Zoroark isn't a bad idea tbh. If you for whatever reason have to attack with Volcanion EX, Stand In allows you to attack again.

Zoroark isn't a bad idea tbh. If you for whatever reason have to attack with Volcanion EX, Stand In allows you to attack again.
This is a deck I've recently built and tested, and interestingly enough, a player, running a variant of this deck, took 4th place at last weekend's League Challenge. Following is my v1.0 of this deck:

Pokémon (12)
3 Entei (AOR 15)
2 Shaymin EX
4 Volcanion
3 Volcanion EX

Trainers (34)
3 Bursting Balloon (or Max Elixir?)
1 Eco Arm
3 Fighting Fury Belt (or Weakness Policy?)
2 Fisherman
1 Giovanni's Scheme
2 Lysandre
2 N
1 Ninja Boy
1 Olympia
1 Parallel City (3rd Scorched Earth?)
4 Professor Sycamore
1 Professor's Letter
2 Scorched Earth
1 super rod
1 Switch
4 Ultra Ball
4 VS Seeker

Energy (14)
3 Double Colorless
11 Fire

Strategy
The main idea is to use Volcanion as a starter in order to power-up the attackers Entei (primary) and Volcanion EX (secondary). Volcanion EX's Ability, Steam Up, boosts your Basic Fire Pokémon's attack by 30 damage AND this damage output boost is stackable. So, Entei and Volcanion attacks can inflict an additional 30 - 90 damage for each Volcanion EX Steam Up Ability used.

Comments

• This particular Entei has an Ancient Trait that allows the attachment of 2 Tools. Of the available Tools, Assualt Vest, Bursting Balloon, Fighting Fury Belt, and Weakness Policy have all performed well in early testing. However, Assualt Vest and Weakness Policy may be more of a meta-game decision. Also, Bursting Balloon could be replaced by Max Elixir for a more aggressive attack strategy.
  • 11 Fire energy seem to be a good amount to support the needed discarding of this energy.
  • Although the 1 Parallel City is a small deterent to M Rayquaza EX decks, it is helpful at times. On the other hand, Scorched Earth is a quite useful Stadium to discard Fire energy that Volcanion can to use to power-up benched Pokémon.
Any questions, constructive thoughts and comments are appreciated. Thanks.
I want to make a deck just like this and I agree about adding zorark since mega rayquaza is popular in my area and could be the meta. In my build I'm adding in 4x assault vest since special energy are a thing and 4x Ffb.

I want to make a deck just like this and I agree about adding zorark since mega rayquaza is popular in my area and could be the meta. In my build I'm adding in 4x assault vest since special energy are a thing and 4x Ffb.
Please share your list when draft is completed. Thanks.

I have been play testing a similar version of this deck and I was wondering what you think of including energy retrieval? I find it can help during the endgame a lot.

Also have you thought of including exp share. I think it'll work well with this deck, especially with AOR Entei

Last edited:
I am going to try this out. I was an entei charizard player and I really adore my ancient trait enteis. I will return with comments.

Back