• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Alt. Format Mega Steelix (2017 rotation)

Petzz

Aspiring Trainer
I think Mega Steelix is very underrated. So here i tried to make a deck based around him, and i think this actually could be a deck with potential.
Pokemon deck list:

Pokemons 15
  • 3 Steelix ex STS
  • 3 M Steelix ex STS
  • 2 Clauncher STS
  • 2 Clawitzer STS
  • 1 Zorua BKT
  • 1 Zoroark BKT
  • 2 Shaymin ex ROS
  • 1 Hoopa ex AOR
Trainers 33
  • 3 Sycamore
  • 3 N
  • 1 Lysandre
  • 1 Pokemon rangers
  • 1 Pokemon fan club
  • 3 Vs seeker
  • 4 Ultra ball
  • 4 Trainers mail
  • 2 Mega turbo
  • 3 Steelix spirit link
  • 2 Float stone
  • 3 Special charge
  • 3 Reverse valley
Energy 12
  • 4 Steel energy
  • 4 Double colorless energy
  • 4 Strong energy
Strategy:
Mega Steelix's attack cost is very high (1 steel and 4 colorless). Usualy it would take a long time to charge him up but with the new expansion, Steam Siege, came Clawitzer. He lets you attach 1 more special energy each turn.
If you use 1 mega turbo and attach 2 double colorless energy with Clawitzer's ability you can charge up Mega Steelix in 1 turn.

I have put in 4 trainers mail, and many supporters to draw quickly through my deck. In need the special energy to set up quickly. Zoroark is free retreat, and can be a second attacker if he needs to.

Other then that it's just to hit hard and soften up the bench.

Hi
Would be nice if someone could give med tips on how to improve this deck:)

I like the idea you have here! Now, you need a secondary attacker since steroid is such a monster to set up and yveltal-ex will just tear through it. What that attacker could be is up to you. You could thicken your Zoroark line, or try something else. Hope this helps!

Edit: just noticed steelix got autocorrected to steroids. Good job me!

Last edited:
I like the idea you have here! Now, you need a secondary attacker since steroid is such a monster to set up and yveltal-ex will just tear through it. What that attacker could be is up to you. You could thicken your Zoroark line, or try something else. Hope this helps!
Thx helped

I share your sentiments on M steelix and it'll be a fun card to mess around with. I agree with the partner of clawitzer (carbink should be considered as well). The most glaring thing I see is that you have a lack of switching cards. I would suggest adding either a thicker zoroark line, some switches, escape rope, Ninja boy or olympia. Maybe take out a 1 special charge ( 2 if you try out carbink break) and a fan club. If you want to play fan club you probably want to play a few more to increase the chances of getting it T1 because it becomes much worse later in the game.

M Steelix is a tank, with 240 HP but his retreat of 4 is not really an option since you would lose all your energy. Although the Stand In float stone may work, I think you have better use of deck space.

Carbink would make a good support pokemon and its also safe from ex, as long as there is no Garbodor. Clawitzer and Carbink BREAK server the same purpose, but I personally think that Carbink BREAK would fit better. Carbink BREAK can actually put up a good fight. Diamond gift can put two Strong Energy on them self and next turn you can hit for 80. with Power Gem.

With Carbink you could get a turn three Canyon Axel almost always and even have a way to get a second one up after the first faints. Yveltal and M Mewtwo will be all over Steelix since it got 5 energy. With only 3 energy M Mewtwo OHKO it and Yveltal can hit for 160 with two energy. Carbink BREAK shuts them both down letting you buy time or forcing them to use there VS seekers to Lysandre out things they can touch.

Summary
Carbink Break not only allows special energy flow from the discard pile, but also can help you get around troublesome EX and gives you a second fighter to stop Yveltal and M Mewtwo and Giritina.
Although Clawitzer lets you dump another energy onto M Steelix, Carbink break allows more options, since even before the mega evolution, you can bring back two special energy from the discard each turn.

-1 Ultra Ball +1 Hex Maniac

You have no way to get around Safeguard. Carbink will stop you cold.

Several thoughts (drafted before reading any of the feedback you previously received) for your consideration:
  • Whatever your starter, it will take damage (or even be KOd while you are powering-up your 1st Mega Steelix EX. So, you may be at an prize disadvantage early game. Have you considered running either Teammates or Ace Trainer to help enhance your recovery or slow your opponent down?
  • Using a "wall" Pokémon could also be a tactic used to slow your opponent down while powering-up your main attackers. For example, replacing the Clawitzer line with Carbink (Safeguard) and Carbink BREAK nullifies opponent's EX Pokémon attacks, can inflict some minor damage, and also power-up your attackers with discarded Fighting and/or Strong energy. Other advantages Carbink BREAK has includes less Retreat Cost and more HP than Clawitzer.
  • Why no Ninja Boy to help get your Hoopa EX and/or Shaymin EX off your field by replacing it with another Steelix EX?
  • Have you tried a "Ball" engine to enhance your setup speed? For example, you could replace a Pokémon Fan Club, 2 Ultra Ball and 1 Trainer's Mail with Heavy Ball, Level Ball and Repeat Ball.
  • Running just a 1-1 Zoroark is quite risky since if either Pokémon in the line is prized, you are without the benefit of a potentially high-valued (IMO) asset. I'd suggest running a minimum 2-2 line.
I hope you find these comments helpful.

Last edited:
Several thoughts (drafted before reading any of the feedback you previously received) for your consideration:
  • Whatever your starter, it will take damage (or even be KOd while you are powering-up your 1st Mega Steelix EX. So, you may be at an prize disadvantage early game. Have you considered running either Teammates or Ace Trainer to help enhance your recovery or slow your opponent down?
  • Using a "wall" Pokémon could also be a tactic used to slow your opponent down while powering-up your main attackers. For example, replacing the Clawitzer line with Carbink (Safeguard) and Carbink BREAK nullifies opponent's EX Pokémon attacks, can inflict some minor damage, and also power-up your attackers with discarded Fighting and/or Strong energy. Other advantages Carbink BREAK has includes less Retreat Cost and more HP than Clawitzer.
  • Why no Ninja Boy to help get your Hoopa EX and/or Shaymin EX off your field by replacing it with another Steelix EX?
  • Have you tried a "Ball" engine to enhance your setup speed? For example, you could replace a Pokémon Fan Club, 2 Ultra Ball and 1 Trainer's Mail with Heavy Ball, Level Ball and Repeat Ball.
  • Running just a 1-1 Zoroark is quite risky since if either Pokémon in the line is prized, you are without the benefit of a potentially high-valued (IMO) asset. I'd suggest running a minimum 2-2 line.

What's your opinion on using Regirock promo as a place holder for Ninja Boy> Steelix>Mega Steelix to stop early lysanders?

Thx. This decklist is from before the set even was released so i didnt really know how to make it as good as possible. After some testing i have switched Clawitzer with carbink, added in Ninja boy but dropped the zoroark. Maybe i will put the zoroark line back in like 2-2 or use something instead. I dont know but still, thanks for the help

What's your opinion on using Regirock promo as a place holder for Ninja Boy> Steelix>Mega Steelix to stop early lysanders?
I think that's a solid strategy; but you'll also need to utilize Energy Switch too.

...After some testing i have switched Clawitzer with carbink, added in Ninja boy but dropped the zoroark. Maybe i will put the zoroark line back in like 2-2 or use something instead. I dont know but still, thanks for the help
I run Zoroark in a variety of decks and have it to be clutch soooo many times. We all have lots of time to play-test!

Last edited:
Back