News 20th Anniversary Set in September + Surfing Pikachu and M Slowbro-EX!

I think M Venusaur's attack is good for a non 1 hit KO. I mean, unless your opponent uses items to retreat their Pokémon he/she won't be able to attack back.

From the way I see it, unless it can 1 hit KO an opponent (and assuming it will 2 hit KO) I don't mind the damage. 120 is as good as 160 against Ex's for me. When this happens I look forward to the effects of the attack. I love M Scizor's for an example. M Venusaur's is more expensive but as soon as you start attacking, unless you are 1 hit KO'ed you can take out 2 of whichever Ex you are facing. I look forward to use it.

As for M Charizard, too bad Blacksmith is gone and Volcanion Ex's ability affects basic Pokémon only.

I still have to think about M Blastoise. When it came out I played a deck with it. It was good (kind of) because it had good damage for the time (120 + 30 + 30) and had so much HP! Nowadays damage is... kind of... ok maybe?

C'mon at least let it poke for ten. Is that too much to ask? It's not even psedeo-permanent Weakness change.

Nostalga is a cruel wench it seems. I'm really starting to dislike this set. Why do they keep making these Pokemon worse?

Has anyone considered one of the fire type cards could be the Moltres FA to go with Articuno and Zapdos from Generations? It'll probably be a reprint of the Fates Collide one.

I think M Venusaur's attack is good for a non 1 hit KO. I mean, unless your opponent uses items to retreat their Pokémon he/she won't be able to attack back.

From the way I see it, unless it can 1 hit KO an opponent (and assuming it will 2 hit KO) I don't mind the damage. 120 is as good as 160 against Ex's for me. When this happens I look forward to the effects of the attack. I love M Scizor's for an example. M Venusaur's is more expensive but as soon as you start attacking, unless you are 1 hit KO'ed you can take out 2 of whichever Ex you are facing. I look forward to use it.

As for M Charizard, too bad Blacksmith is gone and Volcanion Ex's ability affects basic Pokémon only.

I still have to think about M Blastoise. When it came out I played a deck with it. It was good (kind of) because it had good damage for the time (120 + 30 + 30) and had so much HP! Nowadays damage is... kind of... ok maybe?
I'm considering playing Turbo Mega Venusaur. Its only weaknesses are Volcanion and Quad Zoroark.

MY EVALUATIONS:
  • Porygon- Looks nice. I just wanted to be its attack an ability so it won't be hassle for turns.

Really disappointed that we won't be getting an Energy Trans Venusaur line but perhaps with Forest of Giant Plants the card creators thought it was a bit unbalanced?

I'm glad that we'll be getting Full Art Mega Venusaur, Charizard and Blastoise though. I wonder whether the FA Charizard-EX we get is going to be the same art as the Generations Promo (unlikely) or yet more new Charizard artwork.

noooo plan to stick to the few sets I have then am tempted by this! I love love love those cards! me thinks I have gotten a little adicted to pokemon! Guess we shall see if its real or fake in the future!

Last edited:
Well, I love Porygon and all, although they could have made this card seriously better.

Anyone else think that evolutions should have had either--

1) Reprints of cards and Pokémon from across all 6 generations, not just the first. or

2) A whole load of new cards featuring characters and Pokémon from across all 6 generations, not just the first.

Seriously though, I'm still waiting for two of my six favourite Pokémon to get Megas and EX's, those being Sableye and Banette. Give me a Sandslash and Porygon-Z BREAK and I will thank you forever, Pokémon.
Something different, for once, please. And Venusaur; It's been too long, my friend.

Really disappointed that we won't be getting an Energy Trans Venusaur line but perhaps with Forest of Giant Plants the card creators thought it was a bit unbalanced?

Possibly, but probably the opposite reason and/or with a bonus one. We have or have had other Energy transferring Pokémon and while they usually have a small window of being good, they've been struggling for a while now. Of the top of my head we have
  • Aromatisse (XY 93/146)
  • Hydreigon (BW: Dragons Exalted 97/124; BW: Legendary Treasures 99/113)
  • Klinklang (Black & White 76/114)
All of these already have some great support to go with them as well... but none are currently seen as strong decks. Aromatisse is even a Stage 1 and Standard legal for a few more days, so it had all of the 2015-2016 run as the only game in town for Standard. Now all of these did do well for a time, but right now are all but non-existent on the competitive scene. Seems like it is just easier to use other tricks instead. Couple in that we've been begging for Spirit Link cards for the Gen 1 Starter based Mega Evolutions and how if including the non-Pokémon-EX versions doubles the space they take up, the only reason Charizard made it is because Base Set Charizard became so iconic back in the day. Still, disappointing for Venusaur fans; my preferred Gen I Starter was Blastoise, and Blastoise (BW: Boundaries Crossed 31/149; BW: Plasma Storm 137/162; BW: Plasma Blast16/101) has me covered for that. ;)

Possibly, but probably the opposite reason and/or with a bonus one. We have or have had other Energy transferring Pokémon and while they usually have a small window of being good, they've been struggling for a while now. Of the top of my head we have
  • Aromatisse (XY 93/146)
  • Hydreigon (BW: Dragons Exalted 97/124; BW: Legendary Treasures 99/113)
  • Klinklang (Black & White 76/114)
All of these already have some great support to go with them as well... but none are currently seen as strong decks. Aromatisse is even a Stage 1 and Standard legal for a few more days, so it had all of the 2015-2016 run as the only game in town for Standard. Now all of these did do well for a time, but right now are all but non-existent on the competitive scene. Seems like it is just easier to use other tricks instead. Couple in that we've been begging for Spirit Link cards for the Gen 1 Starter based Mega Evolutions and how if including the non-Pokémon-EX versions doubles the space they take up, the only reason Charizard made it is because Base Set Charizard became so iconic back in the day. Still, disappointing for Venusaur fans; my preferred Gen I Starter was Blastoise, and Blastoise (BW: Boundaries Crossed 31/149; BW: Plasma Storm 137/162; BW: Plasma Blast16/101) has me covered for that. ;)

Good points. I'd add that we also have Golduck BREAK which, on the surface, has a fantastic Ability but, in reality, hasn't seen any play as it's a poor-man's Stage 2. Still, I wouldn't underestimate the power of Energy Trans-type Abilities. Aromatisse did see some use early in the XY-era but was largely drowned out by the speed of Night March (and other Battle Compressor engines) not because it was a bad card. I'd wager it would perform better in the, probably, slower metagame of PRC-On.

I'll admit I am very happy to see the introduction of Spirit Links for the Kanto Starter Megas (KSMs?) but still disappointed at the lack of Venusaur-love in recent years - as you point out, we've had a few Blastoise cards but only one non-EX Venusaur (BW: Dark Explorers 03/108) in that time. Feels bad man.

Last edited:
If you find a good deck for M pidgeot, I would be interested in seeing a deck list. It seems like a realitively versatile Pokemon.

I'm working on something now but I'm having issues of finding a way to deal with Zap Zone Zebstrika. I think Pidgeot EX is broken in any other matchup.

I'm working on something now but I'm having issues of finding a way to deal with Zap Zone Zebstrika. I think Pidgeot EX is broken in any other matchup.

Being Colorless is a big help.

Take inspiration from Mega Audino-EX - you can benefit from a variety of type-based support depending on the metagame.

Aromatisse did see some use early in the XY-era but was largely drowned out by the speed of Night March (and other Battle Compressor engines) not because it was a bad card. I'd wager it would perform better in the, probably, slower metagame of PRC-On.

Going to have to disagree with you; we still have plenty of Basics (big and small) and even some Evolutions that could hit the field T1 and start swinging for big numbers... if it wasn't for the first turn rules. When the game is as fast as it has been, "slower" is still stupidly fast. It also wasn't just the speed that killed Energy transfer decks, but the power. To a lesser extent, the Energy removing capacity of the cardpool also matters.

Energy transfer decks usually take advantage of something that can flush away damage and would normally flush away Energy, but being built around Energy moving around they can dodge that drawback. The other big advantage they usually (but don't always) try to leverage is how they can include some of the Special Energy cards which can function as multiple Types, move those around, and thus take more of a Toolbox approach. Attackers still hit big numbers, we'll have to see about Toolbox tricks, but we know Enhanced Hammer isn't going anywhere.

Back