How Many Alola Forms Do You Think There'll Be?

Gen 1:

Doduo/Dodrio - Make em fighting/flying. Dodrio looks tough as nails already.
Abra-Alakazam - Fighting instead of psychic would be neat, and then maybe a Psychic Machop in exchange, possibly.
Cubone/Marowak - Fire like everyone said
Growlithe/Arcanine - Maybe water typing for these guys

Gen 2:

Ledyba/Ledian - Maybe something cool like Bug/Ground because they lost the need to fly or something?
Hoothoot/Noctowl - Ice/Flying because they became snow owls

Eh, that's pretty much all I can think of.

But isn't that exactly what happened to Vulpix? Fire replaced by Ice of all things. Just food for thought :B

I'd say it isn't the same; abra was half of a set, brains vs brawn; to turn abra into brawn would pretty much require to turn machop into brains, and as funny as the image of an abra with a scrawny body and oversized arms and a machop with hydrocephalus is, I very much doubt they would do one if they already have the other to cover that niche (besides, there aren't that many attacks out there that they can give one a completely different learnset, justifying the new typing; if fighting abra just ends up being regular machop with a couple of different moves, what's the point?).

Besides, the rationale behind ninetales's typing wasn't that they went to the opposite, because unlike abra, ninetales wasn't a pokemon defined by its type at all (in fact, it was always strongly related to ghosts, despite being fire); unlike many other fire types, ninetales didn't have fire anywhere in her body, for example, which is a strong design cue for a typing, and difficult to ignore if you're changing their type.

Last edited:
As fun as it could be to simply go 'Replace Type X with Type Y' would be it has to be one that has some kind of logic to it to not come off as super silly.

Now what typing could we possibly give the Abra line to fit along their lore and what area could there possibly be? I have the suggestion of taking advantage of their mind which is still involving their ability to out perform super computers. Let's say that these Pokemon were used to help operate a power plant using their IQ to preform as the systems for it to the point that in order to contend with more demand they become an electric type. With their new typing they are able to directly operate the plant far better then the psychic type.

-and now we know Marowak is a duel type of Ghost and Fire you have to wonder what terrible things could have happen to cause the line to adapt the ghost typing. Could it have been massive amount of poaching that caused them to become a spirit of vengeance much like the Mother Marowak in Kanto's Pokemon Tower? Could other pokemon have also suffered an unfortunate fate? Perhaps it is not as far-fetched as I'm thinking?

Okay, it's time to play theory-mon. I'm wondering if the new alola forms have something to do with RBY because all pokemon with the forms are from gen 1. After all, the games are on Virtual Console in the Eshop and are compatible with Bank to Sun and Moon. Maybe after transferring pokemon from RBY to SM they change form? I dunno. What does Pokebeach think?

It's the 20th anniversary of Gen I and it's smart to give new forms to Gen I pokemon if you want to draw in older fans. They're also the most iconic, whereas not everyone would recognize an alternate form of Qwilfish or Stantler is even any different.

As for Bank, I'm pretty sure the pokemon has to originate in a Sun and Moon game to achieve an Alolan form; so if you transfer an Exeggcute to SM it will evolve into a normal Exeggutor, and a normal Exeggutor will definitely keep its form. This ties into RBY because transferring will be necessary if you want to collect all the forms.

There's actually an interesting reason why Alola Exeggutor is a Dragon type. When explorers first found Hawaii, they though that the trunk of palm trees were dragon necks as they were approaching in their ships.

As for what I want there to be an Alola form of, since any Gen 1 with Mega Evolution shouldn't be able to be Alolan:

Machamp - I'm not sure how it'd be changed exactly, but it would be neat to give new life to him. Though if Fissure-No Guard does happen thanks to RBY, Machamp won't need an Alolan form.

Lapras - A Water/Fire type especially would be interesting to see as it also mirrors what normal Lapras, the Water/Ice type, is.

Butterfree - Also not sure how, but it would give it something while Beedrill gets Mega.

Machamp - I'm not sure how it'd be changed exactly, but it would be neat to give new life to him. Though if Fissure-No Guard does happen thanks to RBY, Machamp won't need an Alolan form.

Game Freak will almost certainly prevent No Guard/Fissure from being a thing in one way or another (probably by nerfing No Guard so it doesn't affect OHKO moves). But a Ground type Alola Machamp could be interesting, I could go for that.

Alolan Form Unown: Each one is a different type and colour, and represents a different letter in the Hawaiian alphabet. Since there are 18 types and only 13 letters, some will have to double up on types.

Assuming (very unfortunately) that only Gen 1 Pokemon are getting Alolan forms I'd guess we will see:

Bug/Psychic Butterfree
Fairy/Fighting Jigglypuff/Wigglytuff
Ground/Fire Diglett/Dugtrio
Dark Persian (I can see non-alolan Pokemon evolving into new forms, but not new forms into old ones... doesn't make sense)
Dragon Growlithe/Arcanine
Water/Fire Shellder/Cloyster
Dark Drowzee/Hypno
Water/Ghost Krabby/Kingler
Fire Koffing/Weezing
Water/Steel Staryu/Starmie
Grass/Psychic Jynx
Grass Snorlax
Dragon/Fairy Dratini/Dragonair/Dragonite

We have Mega Evolutions for The Kanto & Hoenn starters, but what about the Johto, Sinnoh or Unova Starters? Does anyone else think that one set might get Alola forms? I feel like they would be neglected since they most likely won't get Mega Evolutions.... Food for thought.

We have Mega Evolutions for The Kanto & Hoenn starters, but what about the Johto, Sinnoh or Unova Starters? Does anyone else think that one set might get Alola forms? I feel like they would be neglected since they most likely won't get Mega Evolutions.... Food for thought.

I really don't think so. Alolan Forms are different than Mega evolution. We can assume the Alolan Pokemon will have normal stat spreads, possibly even the same total as their normal counterparts while Mega Pokemon are all +90-100 to the stat totals. So if the aforementioned starters got an Alolan form instead of Mega, they'd still have that problem compared to Kanto and Hoenn starters. Plus I'd even argue the Sinnoh and Unova starters have fair enough stat spreads already that an Alolan form may even be detrimental to them.

The shown Alolan forms have largely been just new forms, not necessarily boosts to these species with few exceptions. Alola Ninetales is largely just a massive anti-dragon tool, it doesn't even make sense why they added Fairy typing to it other than just to KO dragons harder. And Alola Exeggutor was to fit with the palm tree lore in real life. If anything I'm expecting Johto Megas in Alola since it'd fit the theme better. Volcano, Forest, and Ocean.

Anyway, I think Cloyster -might- get an Alolan form but not Shellder based on the recent video.

I saw a neat idea for Alola Rapidash where it becomes a Fairy/Flying alicorn:

tumblr_ocj1jgLPaQ1rdfuqwo1_400.png

http://pokemonsumodesigntheories.tumblr.com/post/149519815917/swag-beetles-my-idea-for-an-alolan-rapidash

I can't believe I didn't think of this. I've wanted to see Rapidash become an alicorn for a while now and the thought just never occurred to me that they could do so through Alola Forms. Hoping we get something like this now (although perhaps something a little less generic cutesy like this, but I like the general idea).

http://pokemonsumodesigntheories.tu...7/swag-beetles-my-idea-for-an-alolan-rapidash
http://pokemonsumodesigntheories.tu...7/swag-beetles-my-idea-for-an-alolan-rapidash
I can't believe I didn't think of this. I've wanted to see Rapidash become an alicorn for a while now and the thought just never occurred to me that they could do so through Alola Forms. Hoping we get something like this now (although perhaps something a little less generic cutesy like this, but I like the general idea).

I wouldn't be opposed to it either, but oh my god I can see so many jokes and jabs if this happens.

Oh, no. please, no.

I mean, they need to come up with a plausible reason for the change; adaptation-wise, a flying pegasus would make sense, but in that case, it would be fire-flying.

Actually, that is a very good idea; rapidash can't run as much on an island, so it just flies between them.

And if you want to get technical, it already has a horn, so it would be effectively an alicorn; rapidash might be one of the few cases where just sticking a pair of wings on it and adding a flying type would be completely justifiable (and it would remove a weakness).

Last edited:
Oh, no. please, no.

I mean, they need to come up with a plausible reason for the change; adaptation-wise, a flying pegasus would make sense, but in that case, it would be fire-flying.

Actually, that is a very good idea; rapidash can't run as much on an island, so it just flies between them.

And if you want to get technical, it already has a horn, so it would be effectively an alicorn; rapidash might be one of the few cases where just sticking a pair of wings on it and adding a flying type would be completely justifiable (and it would remove a weakness).

Maybe it would have something to do with Rapidash adapting to magical energy in the region? IDK, they came up with a way to justify Ice types in a tropical region, this wouldn't be that outrageous.

Maybe it would have something to do with Rapidash adapting to magical energy in the region? IDK, they came up with a way to justify Ice types in a tropical region, this wouldn't be that outrageous.

Well, all they need for that is an icy mountain, really... even if they have to stick it in a tropical region because sure, why not.

So justifying a fairy type change in a Pokemon who didn't have any kind of supernatural component before (Ninetales had the curses/ghost connection before, now it's just nicer and officially magical; Marowak had... well, death and the Cubone line were always related in a way) would be... quite a task, especially if you don't want to make it sound sketchy. Granted, they might not even care about that, like with psychic surfer dude Raichu, or dragon Exeggutor.
My point being, Rapidash always was very much a down-to-earth Pokemon; literally a horse that runs fast; not much supernatural there to exploit. Wings, however, are very down-to-earth, ironically. Heh.

Last edited:
Well, all they need for that is an icy mountain, really... even if they have to stick it in a tropical region because sure, why not.

So justifying a fairy type change in a Pokemon who didn't have any kind of supernatural component before (Ninetales had the curses/ghost connection before, now it's just nicer and officially magical; Marowak had... well, death and the Cubone line were always related in a way) would be... quite a task, especially if you don't want to make it sound sketchy. Granted, they might not even care about that, like with psychic surfer dude Raichu, or dragon Exeggutor.
My point being, Rapidash always was very much a down-to-earth Pokemon; literally a horse that runs fast; not much supernatural there to exploit. Wings, however, are very down-to-earth, ironically. Heh.
Ehhh... I can't help but feel like you're putting too much thought into this. As you pointed out yourself, the justification for making Raichu a psychic-type wasn't the most thought out piece of reasoning (the Dragon-type Exeggutor, however, is apparently because of 'Dragon Trees' or whatever they're called). Personally, if they did go the alicorn route with Rapidash, I feel they'd have to make it Fire/Fairy, with the Levitate ability... way more unique typing there.

Well, seeing that alicorn is a creature of myth, and Rapidash is a unicorn to begin with, giving it a fairy type doesn't seem that far-fetched to me.

Ehhh... I can't help but feel like you're putting too much thought into this. As you pointed out yourself, the justification for making Raichu a psychic-type wasn't the most thought out piece of reasoning (the Dragon-type Exeggutor, however, is apparently because of 'Dragon Trees' or whatever they're called). Personally, if they did go the alicorn route with Rapidash, I feel they'd have to make it Fire/Fairy, with the Levitate ability... way more unique typing there.

Oh, you must be new here. That's what I do.

So, I can find reasons why they made raichu psychic. Just, not satisfying enough.
They obviously wanted it to levitate, using its tail as a surfboard; the tanned coloring, clear blue eyes, rounder shapes and laid back body language bring to mind a relaxed surfer type, which, this being hawaii, is very obviously what they were going for; I couldn't tell you precisely in what his type informs the design beyond "surfs levitating" until I see what actual psychic moves it has beyond practicing telekinesis on itself (possibly confusion and psychic, and you can leave stuff like hypnosis aside).

But it's very likely they have no actual explanation because they simply liked the concept, they wanted raichu to have something this generation and they couldn't come up with a plausible environmental reason for why raichus started to surf on their tails in alola, and above all, why they don't do it in the water. If they had made an electric/water surfer raichu, it would have been self-evident.

Are they clear reasons in the context of the pokemon world? not at all. Are they clear in the context of our world? yes.
It's better when it's both, but we'll have to take it. You could say of any pokemon "they did whatever they liked" and not think it further, but then you'd be missing part of the message.

Well, seeing that alicorn is a creature of myth, and Rapidash is a unicorn to begin with, giving it a fairy type doesn't seem that far-fetched to me.

Oh, but in what does "being a unicorn" inform rapidash's design or characteristics? it was only later that its horn was acknowledged, and that was by giving it poison jab and megahorn, which aren't very magical attacks at all.
As I said, it's a very concrete, down-to-earth pokemon; that doesn't mean they can't, or won't, go the eighties' My Little Pony route with it (after all, they did eschew the electric/water surfer raichu if favor of a more esoteric typing), but it does imply a greater effort to mesh it with the old design (or to just leave it unexplained, which I doubt they will do again because the pikachu line is special), at least by what the known alola forms have shown about the rationale used to make them.

Last edited:
I'll take as many as I can get, the potential with this is huge...just please gamefreak don't make 95% of them GenI -___-
Sadly, I think that's the way this is heading, with the 20th anniversary and all.

(Still waiting on that Alolan Volcarona, because that would be awesome)

Back