Collecting Finishing Previous Sets Before Starting New Ones?

Arya

Aspiring Trainer
Guess I was curious about this as I don't have the funds to completely finish a set in the three months before the new sets release! So I was considering skipping a set to finish my current steam siege and generations set as I don't have the funds to keep working on three sets!

What would everyone else do in this case would you skip a set to finish one?? I am purely collecting for collectors sake not to play! And thinking about the next one coming out in Novemember makes me realise I would not have the funds to finance that set as well and finish my current steam siege set and generations as I have realised since I started recently that its not cheap to collect these sets in Australia and considering I have to save money too I just can't afford to be getting a heap of sets or I would never finish them.

Any advice/suggestions?? Skip the Novemeber set? As I would rather finish one set than never get any finished hence my plans were to save for the booster boxes as capable and funds allow to try and finish steam siege! As for generations am yet to recieve all the boxes that take that up to around 30 packs to start that set! I am thinking skipping Novemeber is the best thing to do as I want to enjoy my collecting not feel pressured to have every set which is how I felt when I found out about November as its too soon for me to know I will finish the set before starting that one.

Anyway thanks for the help/time :) I really appreciate it :) Still new to all of this and collecting as only started around 2 weeks ago and was recommended to start with the newest set (steam siege) as I would have more chance of finishing it before they stopped printing the packs as I figure it will continue to be processed whilst the new set is out? But yes thanks again for the help I really do appreciate it.

I see you mentioning buying boxes and packs, so if you'd like an overall suggestion to help save money with collecting, try buying singles instead of packs. Sure, packs are more fun to open, but more often than not the market value of the cards in a pack is less than the price you pay for a pack.

In terms of whether your not you should choose to skip over Generations to favour finishing earlier sets, it all depends on your priorities. Different collectors focus on different things. Personally I wouldn't skip over a set, but I also do not collect complete sets, so I'm likely spending significantly less money than you per set overall. If collecting full sets is what's important to you, then I would focus on that first and handle other sets as they come.

I see you mentioning buying boxes and packs, so if you'd like an overall suggestion to help save money with collecting, try buying singles instead of packs. Sure, packs are more fun to open, but more often than not the market value of the cards in a pack is less than the price you pay for a pack.

In terms of whether your not you should choose to skip over Generations to favour finishing earlier sets, it all depends on your priorities. Different collectors focus on different things. Personally I wouldn't skip over a set, but I also do not collect complete sets, so I'm likely spending significantly less money than you per set overall. If collecting full sets is what's important to you, then I would focus on that first and handle other sets as they come.

The reason why I buy packs is cause honestly I don't like buying what I haven't earnt! its much more exciting for me to actually pull the item than just buy it! I did that in the past and really regretted it to the point of not using those items. I have already started the generations pack as they have sylveon cards which sylveon is my favourite pokemon so I had to have them.

As for excess cards I was thinking with time the cards I don't need I could always donate to a hospital or something for kids that enjoy those types of things and need something to make them feel better (except for foils etc!)But will work that out when the time comes as to what I do :)

And yes collecting full sets is important to me but I am not sure how I will work it folder wise etc lol! Guess I will work it out eventually. But guess you are right work on the set I am first and handle others as they come! I kind of get obsessive compulsive about having every type! Shame is doing it this way two full sets wouldn't fit into the one folder unless its small! As worked out for the full set I would need around 25 out of the 40 ultra pro binder pages but guess I shall work it out with time.

Guess I am just unsure what to do as I choose the binder/sleeves cause I want to protect my cards as well as I can and unfortunately the store scratches before opening the pack are disapointing but can't let it stop me from enjoying collecting the cards! Guess the spare pages I can use for doubles of cards to have two of each or spare rares/foils and do a new folder for each set will have to work that out as well funds lol. But will see as may have to store another set as its completed in there for now too for protection! Just a shame they aren't quite big enough for two full sets.

Thanks for the suggestion with the solo cards I considered it but it kinda spoils the whole fun factor/surprise/enjoyment for me!

Appreciate the advice though might just work on sets till they are done then go from there as to which set I move onto next! As I have both Steam Siege and Generations I want to work on right now! Have roughly 30 generations packs (between the 4 ex packs, the elite trainer box and a mythical celeibi and vinctini box (some still on preorder) and have a booster pack of steam siege coming in the mail too! As of right now I have around 71 of the steam siege cards but that is a mix of common, uncommon, rare, ultra rare (one gardivor full art), foil and holo cards And I thought I would keep one of every common etc etc and keep any doubles of holos/full art etc. Just wasn't sure if I should keep all in the binder or not but then figure if I want to have complete sets for the future I need to work on having one of every type possible. As I don't know if some are just holos (EG: Chandelier) or if they come in regular commons etc too.

But yes I shall get there thanks again!

Last edited:
To quote a line from the Cheshire cat in the popular kids' movie "Alice in wonderland":
"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there."

I would like to suggest that you may want to think of a specific goal when it comes to collecting. Some people only collect the full art cards, some collect the full regular set including all secret rares, and some try to collect the entire master set (full regular set + reverse set). Once you have your mind set on a particular goal, deciding which packs/collections/boxes to buy becomes simpler in that you really wouldn't want to purchase things that won't help you achieve that goal.

As the set you're focusing on slowly fills the gaps in your binder, you will soon realise that buying more and more packs in the hopes of pulling a specific missing card is actually a very difficult and expensive endeavour. This is when you must decide if the ideals of personally pulling a card outweigh the economical benefit of finishing the set through singles.
Either way, you're bound to spend heaps of money on this hobby. I'd strongly advise you to get out while you still can, but based on your post it seems you're already sucked into the system and stuck here with us. Welcome to the dark side, mate.

If you're really only going to buy packs to complete your sets, you're probably better off focusing on one set for now. Generations is probably the easier set of the two, since Steam Siege has 8 FA Ultra Rares and 2 Secret Rares which will make the set more difficult to complete with pulls alone.

If you're really only going to buy packs to complete your sets, you're probably better off focusing on one set for now. Generations is probably the easier set of the two, since Steam Siege has 8 FA Ultra Rares and 2 Secret Rares which will make the set more difficult to complete with pulls alone.
Thanks after reading everyones suggestions I am going to stay open to finishing the set if required by purchasing single cards as I see pokesailors point about the cost becoming not as viable once you unpackage more! I have already started on both the two sets but I appreciate all you both have suggested and will keep it in mind as I see the point about how it becomes less likely to find what you are after as the list dwindles and you get more of the cards. So if it comes to it I will get the card to complete the set but would prefer not too! For now I will stick with Generations and Steam siege since I have started on both. And really want to complete both sets. as that is my goal to complete I guess what you called a master set with all commons etc!

Really appreciate the help thanks

I don't really have a set tradition with collecting sets. I usually buy packs from a set until I'm only missing a couple exs/secrets then if the price is right I might buy the missing cards. For me though I definitely prefer pulling cards to buying. So i wouldn't ever completely buy a set from the start.

I'm not sure if I'm going to collect the GX sets yet so I may have time to complete the sets I'm still working on.

In terms of binders I'd recommend the cloth binders with zippers over the open plastic ones. I think these are best because they are easy to pick up and the cards stay put as opposed to open binders where the cards can fly out and/or bend from the rings.

But I must say though as a collector there isn't a feeling better then pulling the shiny gold Charizard out of a Plasma Storm pack from Walmart.

Last edited:
I don't really have a set tradition with collecting sets. I usually buy packs from a set until I'm only missing a couple exs/secrets then if the price is right I might buy the missing cards. For me though I definitely prefer pulling cards to buying. So i wouldn't ever completely buy a set from the start.

I'm not sure if I'm going to collect the GX sets yet so I may have time to complete the sets I'm still working on.

In terms of binders I'd recommend the cloth binders with zippers over the open plastic ones. I think these are best because they are easy to pick up and the cards stay put as opposed to open binders where the cards can fly out and/or bend from the rings.

But I must say though as a collector there isn't a feeling better then pulling the shiny gold Charizard out of a Plasma Storm pack from Walmart.

Thanks for your opinions/help everything you are saying makes sense! Still unsure about the evolutions set but I do love the look of some of the supposed new cards and as for sun and moon will see as really want to finish both generations and steam siege Currently! Still waiting on sleeves to come to securely put my cards in and have an ultra pro binder coming too which means no rings as all the pages are attached inside to the binder spine. As I have had issues with binder openers before just don't know if I will have enough space for both sets of cards I am currently collecting! As worked out you probably need around 25 pages each this comes with 360 cards able to be put in it which means possibly not quite enough space. Figure I may have to slide some loose sheets in the back to hold any cards that don't fit for now till I can afford a new one. Of course holos/breaks/rares/ultra rares get priority in the binder! but was thinking once I can get a new one well I can place in the new one the other set then the spare pages can be my doubles of the holos/rares etc from that set! That way its easy if I want to trade with someone to get the double or see if I have a double. At least I am thinking thats a good idea?? Opinions??

And yes you are right about there is no better feeling than pulling the card out yourself. But I guess if I am only missing a couple better to try and get those few for the right price depending as to still buying more packs.

Pulled a full art Articuno, Mega Charizard, Sylveon ex full art, Flareon ex, Leafeon ex, Mega Venusaur ex, Gardevor ex full art from generations today and from steam siege I pulled Yveltal Break, Pyroar Break, Steeliz Ex, Mega Steelix Ex, Magearna Ex and a Professor Sycamore (not sure if this is good pulls from a booster box or not?) and previously a Gardevior Ex Full Art.

Still have a long way to go with both sets but figure work on finishing these sets first then I can decide which set I want to go onto next :) At least that is my thoughts this minute but I am so tempted by Evolutions from the cards I saw which may or may not be real. Guess see when the time comes. But I am thinking I am going to have to pick and choose my favourite sets to collect as I kinda get I guess a little absorbed in having to complete the full set with all commons, uncommons etc. Realising now maybe steam siege wasn't the best to start on due to the pull rate being reduced but was recommended it due to the fact its only just been released so I have more chances of finishing the set. Either way I love what I have pulled so far even if its going to take time to complete things lol.

Thanks so much for the help or advice and I look forward to your response.

Last edited:
Also as a collector would you sleeve your common cards or not?? Have ultra pro sleeves coming in the mail and will get some from the tcg generations elite trainer box when released and am eying off a shiny rayquazza set but I kinda want to keep the special ones for special cards! My ultra pro ones are just plain pink ones so am not sure! Also if you were trying to do a master set would you store them all in the binder or just the uncommons/rares/ultra rares/secret cards or store one of every type in there?? Thanks

Overall I will have in the end 150 pink ultra pro sleeves, think its 64 in the generations trainer box? And 65 with the shiny mega rayquazza sleeves I ended up not being able to resist! Both generations sleeves and the shiny mega rayquazza sleeves will be for special cards! Since I don't play the game I want to keep those two for something special card wise but not sure what yet! Shame you can't see the back of the sleeves as I love love love the rayquazza ones I got! Hence why I am not certain that I will actually use those ones in my binders. They are for something really special with the pokemon cards but have no idea what yet.

I can't rule out playing in the future if I ever find any friends that are interested/play the tcg game but right now I just collect not play. So I really don't mind if I pull double ex's when I can get packs as if I ever do start playing as well as collecting I can still have my collectors master set of pokemon cards. At least that is my thoughts anyway.

But have pretty much decided now I will finish the two sets I am working on as I can't buy packs really regulary then I will move onto the next set I decide on! Be that generations or the new sun/moon packs I guess it depends on what is newest as to completing my sets and having the most time to do it.

Thanks again for the help.

Last edited:
Take your time collecting the set, no need to rush it. Some collectors I know just collect whatever they can pull. Sticking to a budget is definitely important since its so easy to lose a lot of money really fast in hobbies like this.

With regards to sleeving, most of it is up to personal preference, but one thing for sure, you definitely want to sleeve your rares since mint / near mint rares tend to retain their value over time.
There are lots of methods to sleeve cards and various brands to choose from. I recommend to go search and read up on card sleeving. Better yet, watch YouTube videos of people reviewing various tcg products before making your next purchase.

With regards to storage, again it is up to personal preference, but cost-wise it would be better to buy a box of binder sheets for 3-hole D-ring binders. I mentioned d-ring, since that problem you had with your ring binders probably stemmed from the fact that circular ring binders tend to push or pull the sheets away or towards the teeth because of O shape of the ring.
Going back to the binder sheets, a box of 100pcs 9-pocket sheets cost roughly the same as a 20-page binder.

I personally keep a full set of sleeved commons, uncommons, rares and reverses for my master set, then I double-sleeve all the ultra rares and above. I store my collection in binder pages by set and card number, that way its easier to pull out an entire set from a binder whenever I want to change the arrangement. The exception to this are Full Arts and secret rares, as i keep those in a separate portfolio that i carry with me when i go out at sea for work. What I do is place a cardboard placeholder (old tcgo code card or Japanese booster pack inserts) in their slot in the regular master set just so i know i already have that card. I do that because I hate seeing blanks lol. All the doubles I store in a box, while separating the playables and the tradeables in case someone wants it.

Again, I recommend you to watch some videos on sleeving. This is just my own personal way of doing things and I don't claim my way is the best. Its better to watch some reviews and get an idea of what products to buy and what sleeving style you want to emulate. It saves you a lot of frustration from buying products only to realise later on that it doesn't really serve your ideals.

Take your time collecting the set, no need to rush it. Some collectors I know just collect whatever they can pull. Sticking to a budget is definitely important since its so easy to lose a lot of money really fast in hobbies like this.

With regards to sleeving, most of it is up to personal preference, but one thing for sure, you definitely want to sleeve your rares since mint / near mint rares tend to retain their value over time.
There are lots of methods to sleeve cards and various brands to choose from. I recommend to go search and read up on card sleeving. Better yet, watch YouTube videos of people reviewing various tcg products before making your next purchase.

With regards to storage, again it is up to personal preference, but cost-wise it would be better to buy a box of binder sheets for 3-hole D-ring binders. I mentioned d-ring, since that problem you had with your ring binders probably stemmed from the fact that circular ring binders tend to push or pull the sheets away or towards the teeth because of O shape of the ring.
Going back to the binder sheets, a box of 100pcs 9-pocket sheets cost roughly the same as a 20-page binder.

I personally keep a full set of sleeved commons, uncommons, rares and reverses for my master set, then I double-sleeve all the ultra rares and above. I store my collection in binder pages by set and card number, that way its easier to pull out an entire set from a binder whenever I want to change the arrangement. The exception to this are Full Arts and secret rares, as i keep those in a separate portfolio that i carry with me when i go out at sea for work. What I do is place a cardboard placeholder (old tcgo code card or Japanese booster pack inserts) in their slot in the regular master set just so i know i already have that card. I do that because I hate seeing blanks lol. All the doubles I store in a box, while separating the playables and the tradeables in case someone wants it.

Again, I recommend you to watch some videos on sleeving. This is just my own personal way of doing things and I don't claim my way is the best. Its better to watch some reviews and get an idea of what products to buy and what sleeving style you want to emulate. It saves you a lot of frustration from buying products only to realise later on that it doesn't really serve your ideals.

Thanks for the help and advice appreciate it. Recieved one of my three sleeve packs today but didn't have enough for all of my cards so far so basically this first pack of sleeves went towards protecting my ultra rares, holos and then after that I started sleeving the foil generations cards! Only have one folder right now but thinking I am going to work on finishing generations first over steam siege then work on steam siege since generations will be rare after this year! Am also thinking this first folder I will give priority to my generations set and put the Steam siege cards in the back for now till I can get another folder just so they are protected (still sorted but will probably slide some loose sheets in there just till I can afford a new folder for my steam siege cards so I can include all doubles in the folder for protection. If I wasn't collecting master sets there wouldn't be an issue. But had to decide today as to which set I look towards trying to finish first and realised since generations doesn't have booster boxes it could get quite costly after this year so better to try and finish it this year. Hoping I made the right choice anyway as it doesn't mean I can't still work on steam siege on occassion too.

Now its just waiting for the rest of my sleeves to get here! Right now I am still waiting on them. And its looking like the rest wont come today :( Am so tempted to pull the steam siege ones from the sleeves so I can use them for generations! But that means removing all rares/holos/foil/promo/ultra rare (including sycamore from those sleeves and placing them into just regular binder sheets I have right now till I get some new sleeves from eb games on the 9th September as decided I want different sleeves for each set so I can tell the differences between each set! Think I might do this for now! As I really want those sleeves to add a few more cards into my pokemon generations set which is the set my bright pink sleeves are being used for!

Thanks for all the help everyone

Last edited:
I too try to complete master sets and also don't want to just purchase the ones I'm missing, as yes I also don't feel right about it but... have you considered trading for your missing cards? After all it is the Trading Card Game(TCG). It makes me feel better and it can be fun, way cheeper also. I have found it sometimes hard to find people to trade with, for one reason or another, but you being in Australia might make it hard. I would be willing to trade with you. I think it would be fun. Not sure what postage would be to there but can't be too bad. Just an option. Happy collecting and good luck.:)

I too try to complete master sets and also don't want to just purchase the ones I'm missing, as yes I also don't feel right about it but... have you considered trading for your missing cards? After all it is the Trading Card Game(TCG). It makes me feel better and it can be fun, way cheeper also. I have found it sometimes hard to find people to trade with, for one reason or another, but you being in Australia might make it hard. I would be willing to trade with you. I think it would be fun. Not sure what postage would be to there but can't be too bad. Just an option. Happy collecting and good luck.:)

Thanks for the offer will let you know if I ever want to trade. Realised I don't think I will get to finish generations right now so have had to stick with what I have there and am now going to work on steam siege. Funds wouldn't allow it and the generations sets in australia are so expensive to buy its just not funny :( At least I got Jolteon ex, mega charizard ex, mega venusaur ex, articuno, leafeon ex, flareon ex, gardevoir ex full art and sylveon ex full art maybe in the future I can trade for others of the set when I have doubles of steam siege or something :) Have a few doubles of holos in the radient collection set but there is only so many you can do/get! I had to choose one or the other due to funds and steam siege seems to be the most viable to continue right now as buying a booster box on ebay can save me $100 dollars here (regular $255 for the booster box in stores) where as generations being rarer to try and get a booster set its 300 to 400 dollars here, the box mythical collections are $30 dollars up on ebay (stores pretty much sold out) and the ex boxes are $50 dollars up. Just not affordable to do. But who knows maybe in the future I will get lucky and have cards to trade for the ones I am missing from the generations set. At least I hope so anyway :) Thanks for the offer will let you know if I ever need to trade for something as that would be so much more preferable to me than buying it :( I don't like the idea of it so appreciate the offer.

At least I got the professor sycamore from my first booster box anyway lol! So who knows if I get lucky and find a second well you never know I may need it to trade for something down the track but guess we shall see. Am not getting rid of this sycamore though. I was happy I found it even if my booster box was slightly below average pulls.

But trading would be a lot more preferable to me! So will hit you up when I need to trade :) thanks

Last edited:
Back