• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Double Threat: Galvantula/Bisharp

EmisterEdoubleE

Aspiring Trainer
I had an idea for a deck that takes advantage of the fact that Shaymin is nearly ubiquitous, but some of its best matchups, like Night March, will fall to rotation. Any ideas for the upcoming format?

Pokemon: 23
3 Pawniard STS
3 Bisharp STS
4 Joltik STS
4 Galvantula STS
2 Remoraid
2 Octillery
2 Eevee
1 Jolteon
1 Flareon
1 Vaporeon

Trainers: 29
2 Trainers' Mail
4 Level Ball
3 Captivating PokePuff
3 VS Seeker
1 Ultra Ball
2 Super Rod

3 Sycamore
3 N
1 Lysandre
1 Teammates

4 Bursting Balloon
2 Float Stone

Energy: 8
6 Lightning
2 Dark

The main concept is that Bisharp, Bursting Balloons, and Galvantula can rack up enough damage against most decks to take 2-4 prizes with Bisharp (retaliate: 30 + 60 if one of your pokemon was knocked out last turn) and ideally kill at least 1-2 Shaymin with Galvantula's double thread, which does 30 damage to two benched pokemon and includes weakness. Other pokemon that go down easy to Galvantula are Remoraid and Froakie; however, losing Target Whistle hurts the Greninja matchup a lot.
Attack costs are cheap-one colorless energy for the main attacks. Getting Octillery out early is key, hence the 4 level balls and 3 copies of N and Sycamore.

Strengths: Most of the strongest decks in the format rely on Shaymin, particularly Mega Ray, which is almost an autowin for this deck. Doesn't rely on abilities and is pretty consistent in getting set up, especially with item lock taking a backseat.

Weaknesses: Bad matchup against Mega Mewtwo's damage change. Losing Target Whistle is a big problem. Rough seas can be tough to beat but there doesn't seem to be a great stadium fit for this deck. I've even tried running 2 copies of Paint Roller. Delinquent could help too.

Any thoughts or ideas for this goofy deck?

This is actually really interesting. Without having ever played it, the one big thing I noticed is your draw supporter line. Since you're running octillery, N is better in 99% of cases than Sycamore, so 4 N 2 Sycamore would be a more ideal line.

Also, It'd be a good idea to work in another lysandre and the 4th VS Seeker. Since Galvantula takes advantage of hitting benched pokemon, stranding a high retreat cost opposing pokemon in the active with no way of retreating works in your favor a lot, and gives you time to snipe those benched pokemon without giving up any prizes yourself.

You could actually drop a 1-1 bisharp line for those two cards, and it would help a ton i'm sure.

Lowering pokepuff count to 2 would also give you an extra slot for another trainers' mail to help your consistency a bit.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the feedback, Omnom!

I'm pretty new to the game and I had noticed that N was really effective late game with Octillery, but didn't think to make it a 4 count. I like that idea a lot.
I started Bisharp at 4-4 and realized I didn't need that many; 2-2 might be better yet as well. I'll definitely try that out as well as the trainers' mail idea too. Pokepuff is new and I'm still not sure what the right number is; I like having multiple shots at getting a Shaymin down because that's so important for this deck, but we'll see how each count goes.

I tried sky field but ran into the issue that opponents could bench >6 Pokemon, then play their stadium and bump a shaymin or two. Silent lab was another thought, but I also don't really want to discourage people from playing shaymin. Training center could help, I don't know if that rotates though. Outside of that, paint roller seems like a possibility to get rid of things like rough seas.

Back