Blog Benchwarmer - Gengar-EX Deck Walkthrough and City Report

Man, you're lucky. I spent sixty plus dollars on booster packs in the hope of getting a Gengar-EX. I never got it...

Any reason why you didn't go with the Wally/Trevenant Garb version? I like that one a lot and the damage output is similar. With bats I feel like often you will miss a OHKO whereas with a lock you won't mind hitting for a 2HKO.

Any reason why you didn't go with the Wally/Trevenant Garb version? I like that one a lot and the damage output is similar. With bats I feel like often you will miss a OHKO whereas with a lock you won't mind hitting for a 2HKO.
Good question. I got several reasons why I prefer Wobbuffet Bats as partners. First reason is weakness, Gengar and Trevenant have the same Dark Weakness making the Yveltal/zoroark matchup even harder, I know they will have more problems with their set up, but by the time you two-shot a baby Yveltal you probably already lost a couple Trevanant/Phantump, while they have a harder time knocking out a Wobbuffet, giving you time to power up a Gengar. The second reason is that I don't like the damage output that much. It's similar like you said but it's just that little bite that makes a difference, especially when you try to finish the game. With just one Bat drop and a Lysandre you can OHKO that Shaymin with Gengar-EX + muscle band. Although if you can use that Trevenant Tree Slam for a KO and you can use the Bench damage to prepare Shaymin for slaughter, that seems fine aswell. But I think that the Bats line counters Rough Seas a bit aswell, say you hit a M Manectric-EX for 80+poison and your opponent heals 30 damage using rough seas, If you use Crobat to negate the 30 damage you can finish it with a Wobbuffet Psychic Assault. Any Manectrix-EX or Seismitoad-EX can be a two hit KO even when they use Rough Seas, all you need is a Golbat. In my head the math just makes more sense that way :) This makes 110hp pokemon available for a OHKO as well. The third and the worst reason is that I just like the combination, I started playing it before Float Stone came out, Trevenant was not an option back then. And I kinda sticked with it. I have tested Trevenant / Gengar for a bit and I like it, hitting that turn one Item Lock is awesome. And I will keep testing it, but I am very pleased with the results I got with this deck and wanted to share it.

I have made a few changes: I pulled out the Xerosic and added one Virbank City Gym. This triple poison effect combined with bench damage from Gengar ex + the line of Zubat - Golbat - Crobat are very strong. Im going to test with 2 x Virbank C G and minus one Dimension Valley.
I like this deck very much. Its very flexible and very hard for your opponent to find good defending stuff against it. So far I have a winning rate 8 out of 10 on Pokemon online. against different decks.

Back