• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard M Gallade EX - Hoopa (Post-rotation)

TuxedoBlack

Old School Player
This deck that is not only “below the radar;” but this deck maybe considered not even on the deck “radar” post-rotation. The deck is Mega Gallade EX – Hoopa:

Pokémon(16)
3 Gallade EX
4 Hoopa
3 M Gallade EX
1 Shaymin EX
3 Unown
2 Wobbuffet (GEN)

Trainers (32)
1 Ace Trainer
1 Energy Retrieval / Fisherman
3 Gallade Spirit Link
1 Giovanni’s Scheme
2 Lysandre
3 Mega Turbo
2 N
1 Ninja Boy
4 Professor Sycamore
1 Professor’s Letter
3 Shrine of Memories (?)
1 Super Rod
1 Switch
4 Ultra Ball
4 VS Seeker

Energy (12)
12 Psychic

Strategy
This deck concept was originally developed a few seasons ago with Gourgeist (XY). Then, Gourgeist (XY) was originally used to setup the opponent’s field by placing 2 damage counters (Eerie Voice) onto each of the opponent’s Pokémon. Subsequently, M Gallade EX’s Unwavering Blade attack was used to inflict 110 damage onto the Defending Pokémon, as well as, 30 damage onto the opponent’s benched, previously damaged Pokémon.

Now, fast-forward to the new, upcoming, Standard format 2017 season. The new STS, 130 HP Hoopa has an attack (for just C energy cost), that inflicts 20 damage onto 2 opponent’s Pokémon. Hoopa is now the preferred, initial attacker and, like before, you continue to spread as needed till the 1st and/or 2nd Hoopa is KOd. Then use Ace Trainer to start disrupting your opponent’s hand and start attacking with M Gallade EX to cleanup.

Comments

• Only 1 Shaymin EX is used – personal preference
  • Unown are used for supplemental card-draw support, but not high priority; i.e., should these be replaced with something else, for example, Acro Bike?
  • Shrine of Memories – this seems to be a decent choice, but is something else perhaps better other than Faded Town and Parallel City?
  • 12 Psychic energy – “high” count ran in order to dump energy for Mega Turbo usage
Thanks for the review and constructive comments are welcomed.

First blush, I really like this idea. I think the STS Hoopa has been an overlooked card. It may a bit inconsistent and/or hard to set up, I'm not sure, but one that gets going is a pretty nasty card. I REALLY like the interaction possibilities M Gallade and Hoopa have.

Dealing damage to the bench with a couple of Hoopa while letting your opponent hit back until those are gone and they have a small prize card advantage before dropping some Ace Trainers seems like something that would be fun to pull off.

Without playing with it, I can't give you any useful feedback, but I love the idea.

One thing I would question (which you've already commented on) is Shrine of Memories. Since the plan is to put counters on the bench to set up some devastating Unwavering Blade attacks, would you really use either of the non-evolved Gallade's attacks?

Last edited:
One thing I would question (which you've already commented on) is Shrine of Memories. Since the plan is to put counters on the bench to set up some devastating Unwavering Blade attacks, would you really use either of the non-evolved Gallade's attacks?
After reviewing the available Stadiums, Shrine of Memories seemed to be the only that would be viable counter-Stadium. Consider:
  • All-Night Party - does not seems applicable and potentially helpful to my opponent
  • Faded Town - not applicable since it would harm my M Gallde EXs
  • Fairy Garden - not helpful to me
  • Forest of Giant Plants - not helpful to me
  • Parallel City - will NOT play since I want as many opponent's benched Pokémon in play as possible
  • Reverse Valley - not helpful to me
  • Rough Seas - not helpful to me
  • Scorched Earth - not helpful to me
  • Shrine of Memories - maybe helpful or just "lesser" of evils
  • Sky Field - not helpful to me, but definitely want opponents to play this
  • Team Magma's Secret Base - maybe...

TMSB may possibly work, but I need to get my Pokémon benched before playing this Stadium into play: "Whenever any player puts a Basic Pokemon (except for Team Magma Pokemon from his or her hand onto his or her Bench, put 2 damage counters on that Pokemon."

On the other hand, I could use SoM for Gallade EX's attacks which could be helpful at times. Thoughts?

Cool Idea, This might be a stretch but you might be able to fit in Drifloon*Drifblim STS. Probably not though.

The Zubat/Cro/Golbat line might seem like the most obvious thing to add even if Crobat is rotating if not that then Adding bursting balloons to your hoopa and wobb starts imo will help tremendously to spread damage In Mega decks I like a spread of 2 Max Elixir 2 Mega Turbo IMO it helps the deck run smoother, or if you dont have access to a mega link. In addition Skyla would help you tremendously to search for clutch links, turbos, and switches seeing that your draw is kinda low.

On that note your mobility could be an issue, only one switch could get you in trouble, maybe by either adding the bats or another switch/olympia it might help...2 ninja boy makes sense in this deck too imo. Unfortunately Psychic lost a decent amount of support this format. I'd probably skip the energy ret for another super rod to put some unouns back in the deck along with more energy.

Shrine is definitely the best option imo.
I see alot of personal flavor in this deck and that makes it really cool, I appreciate your taste. Adding a Flare grunt would be nice to keep a high retreat cost pokemon in the active so you can spread damage longer, could be useful to VS it late game when they have exhausted their float stones.

Good luck hopefully this helps.

Last edited:
The Zubat/Cro/Golbat line might seem like the most obvious thing to add even if Crobat is rotating if not that then Adding bursting balloons to your hoopa and wobb starts imo will help tremendously to spread damage In Mega decks I like a spread of 2 Max Elixir 2 Mega Turbo IMO it helps the deck run smoother, or if you dont have access to a mega link. In addition Skyla would help you tremendously to search for clutch links, turbos, and switches seeing that your draw is kinda low.
If I could really have my "ideal" starter, it would the Ascension Phantump and the Forest Curse Trevenant.... Lol. In playing against decks running Bursting Balloons, those have not been that much of an issue, as long as I planned accordingly.

Running Max Elixir tends to better, for me at least, when I intentionally plan to "thin out" my deck early game by running more Items. Plus, Max Elixir still is only a 50% chance of success in many cases; whereas playing Mega Turbo can have 100% chance of success.

On that note your mobility could be an issue, only one switch could get you in trouble, maybe by either adding the bats or another switch/olympia it might help...2 ninja boy makes sense in this deck too imo. Unfortunately Psychic lost a decent amount of support this format. I'd probably skip the energy ret for another super rod to put some unouns back in the deck along with more energy.
Good point regarding another switching card. The loss of both Mystery energy and Dimension Valley has definitely had an effect on the Pokemon "movement" capability evidenced from some early play-testing. So, I will plan to incorporate another switching card.

Thanks for the review and feedback; much appreciated.

After reviewing the available Stadiums, Shrine of Memories seemed to be the only that would be viable counter-Stadium. Consider:
  • All-Night Party - does not seems applicable and potentially helpful to my opponent
  • Faded Town - not applicable since it would harm my M Gallde EXs
  • Fairy Garden - not helpful to me
  • Forest of Giant Plants - not helpful to me
  • Parallel City - will NOT play since I want as many opponent's benched Pokémon in play as possible
  • Reverse Valley - not helpful to me
  • Rough Seas - not helpful to me
  • Scorched Earth - not helpful to me
  • Shrine of Memories - maybe helpful or just "lesser" of evils
  • Sky Field - not helpful to me, but definitely want opponents to play this
  • Team Magma's Secret Base - maybe...

TMSB may possibly work, but I need to get my Pokémon benched before playing this Stadium into play: "Whenever any player puts a Basic Pokemon (except for Team Magma Pokemon from his or her hand onto his or her Bench, put 2 damage counters on that Pokemon."

On the other hand, I could use SoM for Gallade EX's attacks which could be helpful at times. Thoughts?
Ah, I see where you're coming from now.

I was thinking about it from the complete opposite direction, actually. The way I was thinking, Parallel City wouldn't be a bad play. Early game, I'd focus pretty much entirely on getting a couple Hoopa out there to start putting damage on the bench. I can see Parallel City being helpful in a couple different ways. For one, it acts as a counter to any of the decks that want a large bench to hit hard (or extra bench space to set up), which could greatly increase your chances that you get at least a couple turns in per Hoopa. Second, Hyperspace Punch can only hit 2 benched Pokemon at a time. Parallel City would shrink the bench so you could focus that damage. With a couple turns per Hoopa, you could have the entire bench set up to take a lot of damage on your first Unwavering Blade. With such a small bench taking that much damage, it seems like it would be tough for them to ever get an attacker set up.

Although, I can see it becoming an issue if you have your M Gallade out, clear the bench, then end up with a totally clean bench and no Hoopa to put damage on it. But still, they'd be starting from the bottom most likely and would probably struggle to catch back up before you finished it.

Back