Discussion Sceptile + What = Success?

Okay guys, I have my deck thanks for the useful advice! Looking forward to fighting some battles with it!

Does Mega Sceptile even run alternate attackers? I don't have much experience with the deck.

Don't know. When I tried to run it while it was knew, I realized I needed one but couldn't find something that really worked. I suggested somethings earlier but no clue if it is a good idea or not. Oh, and Fighting Fury Belt requires you have access to Tools.

Don't know. When I tried to run it while it was knew, I realized I needed one but couldn't find something that really worked. I suggested somethings earlier but no clue if it is a good idea or not. Oh, and Fighting Fury Belt requires you have access to Tools.

Alright I've reached this.

2 Mega Sceptile EX

3 Sceptile EX

3 Ariados

3 Spinarak

1 Hoopa EX (Running another one might be viable, as I am only using two types of energy).

Only thing is if I wanna run more than one Hoopa, I would have to use psychic energy.... Currently thinking of one, just for utility purposes.

Alright I've reached this.

2 Mega Sceptile EX

3 Sceptile EX

3 Ariados

3 Spinarak

1 Hoopa EX (Running another one might be viable, as I am only using two types of energy).

Only thing is if I wanna run more than one Hoopa, I would have to use psychic energy.... Currently thinking of one, just for utility purposes.

Really don't see the need for such a thick Ariados line. A 2-2 should be plenty enough, hell I've been reducing it to a 1-1 for most of my testing. As far as secondary attackers go, thats where things get tricky since there are not many Basics that fit. Virizion and maybe one of the Lugia cards (either the one from FCO, or the EX from AOR) are about all I can think about. Or if you feel you have plenty of ways to get energy back from the discard you could try running Mew. Mew can copy Sceptile EX's Unseen Claw which w/poisonous nest can OHKO Mega Mewtwo if you can pull it off before a Garbodor hits the field and only gives up a single prize. I mentioned the energy thing since you'll have to attach 2 grass to a Mew that will probably be getting KO'd unlike your Megas so you'll need to play around with the list if you feel like trying it out.

Aside from that there are a bunch of stage 1's that you could experiment with. The new Yanmega line won't disrupt your energy flow and has free retreat, so on paper it looks to pair well with M Sceptile decks. Just not sure how consistently I would be able to pull off the free attacks. Zoroarks been mentioned before and I'm not sure how much he really adds to the deck since smart players will be able to play around him especially since they wouldn't need to bench many pokemon to stay in the game due to relatively low damage output in the deck. Raichu will probably see a lot of play in various decks in the future and I feel that overall its a more consistent attacker since your bench will probably be full or near full anyways. I guess I could also mention Gogoat from Breakthrough, not the best card but it is a grass type so it can be accelerated through FoGP. For a single grass energy he has an Overrun attack that can help set up Lysandre KOs and he has a not so great 3 grass attack that does 90 but heals himself for 30. The last card I've looked at is actually another from Steam Seige, Volcarona. This dual type can wreck the mirror match with its second attack, and has a decent first attack that can be used to stall/disrupt till you draw into what you need.

Not very many tempting options which is why I think most people just leave the attacking to the Sceptile cards and pair him up with supportive types like Ariados and Garbodor.

Really don't see the need for such a thick Ariados line. A 2-2 should be plenty enough, hell I've been reducing it to a 1-1 for most of my testing. As far as secondary attackers go, thats where things get tricky since there are not many Basics that fit. Virizion and maybe one of the Lugia cards (either the one from FCO, or the EX from AOR) are about all I can think about. Or if you feel you have plenty of ways to get energy back from the discard you could try running Mew. Mew can copy Sceptile EX's Unseen Claw which w/poisonous nest can OHKO Mega Mewtwo if you can pull it off before a Garbodor hits the field and only gives up a single prize. I mentioned the energy thing since you'll have to attach 2 grass to a Mew that will probably be getting KO'd unlike your Megas so you'll need to play around with the list if you feel like trying it out.

Aside from that there are a bunch of stage 1's that you could experiment with. The new Yanmega line won't disrupt your energy flow and has free retreat, so on paper it looks to pair well with M Sceptile decks. Just not sure how consistently I would be able to pull off the free attacks. Zoroarks been mentioned before and I'm not sure how much he really adds to the deck since smart players will be able to play around him especially since they wouldn't need to bench many pokemon to stay in the game due to relatively low damage output in the deck. Raichu will probably see a lot of play in various decks in the future and I feel that overall its a more consistent attacker since your bench will probably be full or near full anyways. I guess I could also mention Gogoat from Breakthrough, not the best card but it is a grass type so it can be accelerated through FoGP. For a single grass energy he has an Overrun attack that can help set up Lysandre KOs and he has a not so great 3 grass attack that does 90 but heals himself for 30. The last card I've looked at is actually another from Steam Seige, Volcarona. This dual type can wreck the mirror match with its second attack, and has a decent first attack that can be used to stall/disrupt till you draw into what you need.

Not very many tempting options which is why I think most people just leave the attacking to the Sceptile cards and pair him up with supportive types like Ariados and Garbodor.

There aren't any usable Non EX Lugias, which I need in order to use its Break evolution.

Deck Changes:

- 1 Spinarak and 1 Ariados (Might Keep 3-3 lineup)

+ Secondary Damage Dealer? 1 FCO Mew?

Or I could stick with the current deck and throw in 3 psychic energies just in case the Hoopa needs to attack.

In conclusion what should I go with as my secondary pokemon? Good points by the way.

Last edited:
In conclusion what should I go with as my secondary pokemon? Good points by the way.

Forgive me as I am posting this very late (to the point I am actually very, very early for the next day ^^') and thus am likely being extra thick, but what are the goals of this secondary attacker again? Keeping in mind my experience with M Sceptile-EX is so far removed it is all but obsolete, I had been wondering about working in a few basic Water Energy so I could include Regice. Please keep in mind that when I ran it, I included multiple ways to get Basic Energy cards from the discard pile directly to my hand. Anyway Regice means something to toss at Fire Types (should they show up) and something to wall against Pokémon-EX.

So... any potential, or am I barking up the wrong Treecko?

Forgive me as I am posting this very late (to the point I am actually very, very early for the next day ^^') and thus am likely being extra thick, but what are the goals of this secondary attacker again? Keeping in mind my experience with M Sceptile-EX is so far removed it is all but obsolete, I had been wondering about working in a few basic Water Energy so I could include Regice. Please keep in mind that when I ran it, I included multiple ways to get Basic Energy cards from the discard pile directly to my hand. Anyway Regice means something to toss at Fire Types (should they show up) and something to wall against Pokémon-EX.

So... any potential, or am I barking up the wrong Treecko?

Well, the purpose of the secondary attackers is more for a "just in case" scenario, it should be capable of getting K/O's. Also because of Black Smith being out-rotated, I won't be seeing many fire type decks.

Last edited:
Well, the purpose of the secondary attackers is more for a "just in case" scenario, it should be capable of getting K/O's. Also because of Black Smith being out-rotated, I won't be seeing many fire type decks.

We are getting several promising Fire Types in XY: Steam Siege, and rotation is shaking up a lot of existing decks. There is also Flareon (AOR) that turns any Stage 1 into a Fire Type, as well as the long history of TecH attackers in this TCG. Also is a OHKO necessary, or is having a wall against most Pokémon-EX attackers worth a slower KO rate? If you are able to Poison with Ariados before retreating to Regice, the Poison damage plus a Fighting Fury Belt gets many things into 2HKO range.

That being said, despite not every sentence ending in a question mark, I am asking. If you still think it won't help, then you still think it won't help.

We are getting several promising Fire Types in XY: Steam Siege, and rotation is shaking up a lot of existing decks. There is also Flareon (AOR) that turns any Stage 1 into a Fire Type, as well as the long history of TecH attackers in this TCG. Also is a OHKO necessary, or is having a wall against most Pokémon-EX attackers worth a slower KO rate? If you are able to Poison with Ariados before retreating to Regice, the Poison damage plus a Fighting Fury Belt gets many things into 2HKO range.

That being said, despite not every sentence ending in a question mark, I am asking. If you still think it won't help, then you still think it won't help.

Mhm.... I agree with using Regice over Mew, and the fury belt will really give Regice some serious potential, how many Regice should I pick up?

By the way, I'm picking up these cards from Troll and Toad and I live in Canada so the price becomes kinda hefty if I want to add more cards.

Last edited:
Mhm.... How about the FCO Mew or is Regice more viable when it comes down to this type of deck....?

By the way, I'm picking up these cards from Troll and Toad and I live in Canada so the price becomes kinda hefty if I want to add more cards.

You under a time constraint? Or does being Canadian interfere with eBay or trade-by-mail options too much? Just trying to check your options for getting cards.

You will likely just have to text via proxy (which can include various online programs). Mew is a glass cannon - if you think you can take all problematic cards down in one shot with it (assuming multiples against a sustained threat), then go for it!

You under a time constraint? Or does being Canadian interfere with eBay or trade-by-mail options too much? Just trying to check your options for getting cards.

You will likely just have to text via proxy (which can include various online programs). Mew is a glass cannon - if you think you can take all problematic cards down in one shot with it (assuming multiples against a sustained threat), then go for it!

It's just that I have to pay $2.99 for the cards to be shipped nothing big really. About the deck, I will go for the 2 Regice to deal with the odd fire type deck and put some pressure on EX heavy decks too. I'll pick up my Sceptile EX from Teddy N Me which is close to me and the only card cheaper than Troll and Toad are their Sceptile EX's. Also about the trainer cards, are theme decks the way to go as I don't wanna be buying all my deck from a website, just the main Pokemon.

Op1) I buy my main Pokemon that I need for this deck - M Sceptile2 Sceptile EX3 Hoopa EX1 Ariados2 Spinirak2- From Troll and Toad and Teddy N Me.
Op2) I buy my main Pokemon that I need for this deck and the alternative attacker - Regice2 FCO
Op3) I buy my main Pokemon that I need for this deck and hope to experiment with other cards that I pick up from places where I visit often like Walmart and add a secondary attacker from there or possibly leave the deck as it is.

Additional Input is appreciated as always.

Additional Input is appreciated as always.

Anyone else want to weigh in? Since this involves buying cards I really want some input about Regice. I mean if I am wrong, at least Regice is a solid enough card you might use it elsewhere, but still I'd hate for @FierySplash to be stuck waiting for until he can afford what he "really" needs if I am wrong. >.> Do you have a current list, FS? Maybe I can test a little on the PTCGO. Won't be very accurate (isn't this list for after the rotation?) but it might be better than nothing.

IMO, going into the next season, M Sceptile EX decks with be well represented at Standard format tournaments. This is due in part for a few reasons:
  • Fast setup with Forest of Giant Plants
  • Fast energy attachment acceleration with either Max Elixir and/or Mega Turbo
  • Healing with its Jagged Saber attack
  • "Significant" number of formidable Grass-weak decks (e.g., P Groudon EX, P Kyogre EX, Greninja, Zygarde EX, etc.) expected to be played after the rotation
For the last few seasons, I've run a MMan-Sceptile deck (also included Ariados) that was quite successful. Recently, I replaced the M Manectric EX line with other noted partners such as
  • Vileplume,
  • Zoroark,
  • Yveltal,
  • Garbador and
  • Yanmega.
Each of these combo sets tested well and has its own pros and cons.

Most likely, the final decision (for the next post-rotation, Standard tournament) will still come down to a metagame call. Several of my Poké pals are "itching" to try their Volcanion decks; so, I just may run my M Sceptile EX deck at the next tournament with Regice. I'm also considering incorporating 1 Manaphy EX to enable free retreating too, but still testing.

Anyone else want to weigh in? Since this involves buying cards I really want some input about Regice. I mean if I am wrong, at least Regice is a solid enough card you might use it elsewhere, but still I'd hate for @FierySplash to be stuck waiting for until he can afford what he "really" needs if I am wrong.
Fyi. In most cases, I will proxy a deck with needed cards for testing (IRL and/or on tcgone.net (website for FREE Pokémon online play)) before I invest in such cards.

IMO, going into the next season, M Sceptile EX decks with be well represented at Standard format tournaments. This is due in part for a few reasons:
  • Fast setup with Forest of Giant Plants
  • Fast energy attachment acceleration with either Max Elixir and/or Mega Turbo
  • Healing with its Jagged Saber attack
  • "Significant" number of formidable Grass-weak decks (e.g., P Groudon EX, P Kyogre EX, Greninja, Zygarde EX, etc.) expected to be played after the rotation
For the last few seasons, I've run a MMan-Sceptile deck (also included Ariados) that was quite successful. Recently, I replaced the M Manectric EX line with other noted partners such as
  • Vileplume,
  • Zoroark,
  • Yveltal,
  • Garbador and
  • Yanmega.
Each of these combo sets tested well and has its own pros and cons.

Most likely, the final decision (for the next post-rotation, Standard tournament) will still come down to a metagame call. Several of my Poké pals are "itching" to try their Volcanion decks; so, I just may run my M Sceptile EX deck at the next tournament with Regice. I'm also considering incorporating 1 Manaphy EX to enable free retreating too, but still testing.

Fyi. In most cases, I will proxy a deck with needed cards for testing (IRL and/or on tcgone.net (website for FREE Pokémon online play)) before I invest in such cards.

I will probably go with the cards that I wrote about before they seem to be powerful for this coming rotation. As far as the Manaphy Ex goes I'd like to stay away from it because my Regice is an "opportunistic" card not something I wanna be basing my deck off of. I'm already running a supporter Hoopa so I don't wanna stack up on cards that can't attack well. Then again, the Manaphy Ex ability does give my cards a heck lot of mobility.... What do you guys think?

Also if I include Manaphy I will not be able to carry 4 psychic energies in case I need to snipe something like a Vespiquen down, because 1/3 of my deck will become water type. It's either the Hoopa Snipe or the Manaphy mobility....

So once again select an option

Op1) 1Hoopa EX 2MSceptile EX 3Sceptile EX 2Regice 2Ariados 2Spinarak - 10 Grass 3 Water 4 Psychic - Hoopa can Snipe
Op2)1Hoopa EX 2MSceptile EX 3Sceptile EX 2Regice 2Ariados 2Spinarak 1Manaphy EX
10 Grass 6 Water - Hoopa cannot Snipe

Last edited:
I have done some more testing, and I am currently running 2 Escape Ropes and 2 Switches w/ Garbodor. I was playing Zoroark for the longest time however, it was a bad card against Garbodor and was really hard to set up. You can also run Fisherman so when you pay the retreat cost, you can get back your energy. Garbodor also is something to do against the Volcanion match up (Which a lot of people are excited to play, myself included).

I have done some more testing, and I am currently running 2 Escape Ropes and 2 Switches w/ Garbodor. I was playing Zoroark for the longest time however, it was a bad card against Garbodor and was really hard to set up. You can also run Fisherman so when you pay the retreat cost, you can get back your energy. Garbodor also is something to do against the Volcanion match up (Which a lot of people are excited to play, myself included).
I tested my deck out and it turns out I really don't need the Manaphy EX....

I also learned by testing over at TCG ONE that a Zoroak Break and M Scizor deck works great too. How about that one?

Back