• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard M Sceptile/Garbodor

MechanicalMarine

Princess Peach
I've been studying what decks will meet their downfall and which will prevail after the rotation over to the 2017 season, and I think all that I list here will pretty much have an even or positive matchup against all other decks which I and other players must have realized might stand a chance, such as Greninja BREAK, some Flareon/Volcanion decks, Dark/Dragons, and some more. Here's the list

Pokémon - 15

3 Sceptile-EX AOR

3 M Sceptile-EX AOR

2 Shaymin EX ROS

1 Virizion AOR

2 Trubbish BKP

2 Garbodor BKP

1 Lugia-EX AOR

Trainer/Supporter/Stadium - 36

4 Professor Sycamore

2 N

1 Lysandre

1 Hex Maniac

1 Fisherman

1 Pokémon Ranger

4 Ultra Ball

4 VS Seeker

4 Trainers’ Mail

1 Professors’ Letter

1 Energy Retrieval

3 Sceptile Spirit Link

1 Switch

1 Super Rod

1 Enhanced Hammer

2 Float Stone

3 Forest of Giant Plants

2 Parallel City

Energy - 9

9 Basic Grass Energy

Strategy:
The strategy is similar to most other Mega Sceptile lists, but with a few adjustments. The first thing different was the replacement of Ariados for Garbodor, because I think it is slightly more versatile so completely remove abilities from your opponents than an extra 10 damage which can be healed by switching. Power up Mega Sceptile fast with Forest of Giant Plants and in a turn or two, you can start attaching energy from your hand directly onto your benched Lugia-EX, Virizion, and even other Mega Sceptile, all while healing any damage possibly done to them in that time.

Matchup descriptions:
Against Greninja BREAK, it turns off Giant Water Shuriken, while taking OHKO's every turn by doing 200 with Jagged Saber, more than anything in the deck can sustain. Jirachi techs can't do anything because there are only Basic Energy, no Special Energy, making this a hard-counter to Greninja BREAK. Onto Fire next, Flareon has a pretty good attack and ability, letting you move energy to it from benched Pokémon to- oh yeah, Garbodor. That means the only way to get energy onto Flareon-EX to attack is through Max Elixir and attachments during a turn. The soon to be released Volcanion-EX can add some extra beef to the sandwich with its ability that it can't use. I suppose the new "baby" Volcanion you might call it can get energies from the discard onto Flareon-EX as well. I'd say it's quite even, possibly in one sides favor. I cannot tell yet. Next on our menu is Dark/Dragons. Some variants do run a Garbodor line or two, but they do not want to set it up against a Mega Evolution based deck because Giratina has the Ability Renegade Pulse, which makes it immune to Mega Evolutions. However, that's why I think Garbodor is so good to have, because you can use their own strategy of turning off abilites against them. "But Marine, what if they start using Chaos Wheel to lock you out of putting a tool on Garbodor?" Well, that's why I included Lugia-EX. Lugia-EX is a strong backup attacker in times you may go against any sort of Dark/Dragons and/or straight Dark, and can't do damage with Mega Sceptile, just charge Lugia up with a few energies and there you go. Darkrai EX can hit for high numbers fast for low energy costs, I know first hand about all that, so thats why I think this deck is soft countered by Dark/Dragons. There are so many other decks I could talk about but I should be playing Melee, not typing on PokeBeach. Anyways, there is my decklist and speculations. Feel free to discuss and criticize this, make changes, ect. Feedback in anyway is appreciated. Have a nice day!

Edit 1: -1 Sceptile-EX, -1 Silent Lab, +2 Parallel City

Last edited:
Nice, I'm a fan of the list. For some reason I never thought to use Garbodor in my M Sceptile decks. I'd only be worried going against M Rayquaza, which I feel should be one of the stronger decks of the next format. In testing I've found Parallel City to be a great way of neutering M Ray's power. It can also help clear Shaymins off of your bench in other match ups... idk I feel like Parallel City is a good card for decks like this. Maybe cut down to a 3-3 M Sceptile line and/or drop Silent lab for a Parallel City or two?

Nice, I'm a fan of the list. For some reason I never thought to use Garbodor in my M Sceptile decks. I'd only be worried going against M Rayquaza, which I feel should be one of the stronger decks of the next format. In testing I've found Parallel City to be a great way of neutering M Ray's power. It can also help clear Shaymins off of your bench in other match ups... idk I feel like Parallel City is a good card for decks like this. Maybe cut down to a 3-3 M Sceptile line and/or drop Silent lab for a Parallel City or two?
I'm a big fan of Parallel City myself. I will change it to a 3-3 Sceptile-M Sceptile line as I don't really find myself with all 3 Mega's on the board at once. I'll also take out the Silent Lab like you said for 2 Parallel City when I test it to see which works better. The only problem I see with Parallel City is that it reduces your damage by 20, which can be very bad.

However, I guess when the damage is at a cap of 90 for MegaRay, and your damage cap with MegaScep is 80, or 110 if it's poisoned with Sceptile-EX, it would definitely slow down the match.
Additonally, I could just replace the Silent Lab or 1 Sceptile-EX with 1 Parallel City for that matchup.

Last edited:
@Sir Spudd First, Jolteon EX still takes damage from M-Sceptile (not a basic). Second, he has Pokemon Ranger (from Steam Siege) for the purpose of defeating Regice. Personally, I would add another Sceptile-EX to help prevent Trubbish starts. My suggestions:

-1 Switch (You have float stone)
-1 Parallel City (Situational)
-1 Fisherman (You have Energy Retrieval)

+1 Sceptile EX
+1 Float Stone (Replaces Switch and has utility with Garbodor)
+1 Battle Compressor (For utility with tech supporters)

M sceptile ex is immune to ability already, so why pair with Garbodor? I just don'tget it.

If M Rayquaza ex is whatwe worry about, could we just swap the whole Garbodor line into zoroark line or zebstrika line?

apart from fire, there's not much in the meta having the power to OHKO M sceptile ex easily. M sceptile ex after rotation looks good.

@ToToLaw M Sceptile EX is immune to abilities affecting it, but, as said on the Ask A Professor section of this forum, Renegade Pulse affects Giratina EX, making Sceptile unable to hit Giratina without Garbodor.
@MechanicalMarine I just realized you have a Hex Maniac in your list. Why is it there if you still have Garbodor? I would replace it with a Mega Turbo so you can (possibly) get a T1 attack off and/or catch your opponent off guard.

@ToToLaw M Sceptile EX is immune to abilities affecting it, but, as said on the Ask A Professor section of this forum, Renegade Pulse affects Giratina EX, making Sceptile unable to hit Giratina without Garbodor.
@MechanicalMarine I just realized you have a Hex Maniac in your list. Why is it there if you still have Garbodor? I would replace it with a Mega Turbo so you can (possibly) get a T1 attack off and/or catch your opponent off guard.
I have Hex Maniac in there in case of a T1 Vileplume locking my ability to put a tool on Garbodor, and therefore shut off their Item-locking Ability. I will consider changing it however.

Last edited:
@Sir Spudd First, Jolteon EX still takes damage from M-Sceptile (not a basic). Second, he has Pokemon Ranger (from Steam Siege) for the purpose of defeating Regice. Personally, I would add another Sceptile-EX to help prevent Trubbish starts. My suggestions:

-1 Switch (You have float stone)
-1 Parallel City (Situational)
-1 Fisherman (You have Energy Retrieval)

+1 Sceptile EX
+1 Float Stone (Replaces Switch and has utility with Garbodor)
+1 Battle Compressor (For utility with tech supporters)
I'll test around with some changes like these. :) Without Battle Compressor though, as it is being rotated out. And you are correct, M Sceptile-EX hits through Jolteon-EX's Flash Ray, and I have Virizion and Pokémon Ranger to help deal with Regice better.

Last edited:
M sceptile ex is immune to ability already, so why pair with Garbodor? I just don'tget it.

If M Rayquaza ex is whatwe worry about, could we just swap the whole Garbodor line into zoroark line or zebstrika line?

apart from fire, there's not much in the meta having the power to OHKO M sceptile ex easily. M sceptile ex after rotation looks good.

Like I explained, Garbodor helps against Volcanion-EX's damage-boosting ability and Flareon-EX's Ability to move energy to itself from the bench, slowing down Fire.
It also turns off Safeguard and Renegade Pulse, so you can hit things like Carbink and Giratina-EX.
Garbodor is more of a disruption tool to slow down opponnts, but it helps with some other things.

@MechanicalMarine I fully get the Hex Maniac now. I think you should keep it, but I do think you should put in the Mega Turbo instead of the Battle Compressor (since it is rotating out).

I really like this deck and have had some success with it, so thank you. But, the more I think about the next direction the meta will go, it looks like bulky EXs will be pretty dominant. And with FFB on things like Darkrai/Giratina that brings them to a 3 hit knock out range. I still think sceptile has alot of good match ups and pairing with garb gives it even more match ups. But are you worried about the low damage output of 100?

I really like this deck and have had some success with it, so thank you. But, the more I think about the next direction the meta will go, it looks like bulky EXs will be pretty dominant. And with FFB on things like Darkrai/Giratina that brings them to a 3 hit knock out range. I still think sceptile has alot of good match ups and pairing with garb gives it even more match ups. But are you worried about the low damage output of 100?
I' am sort of worried about the low damage out put. However Sceptile makes up for it with his speed. A one turn mega Scep will be very hard to counter, also the help of the energy attachment should get Lugia EX, all powered up for high damage.

I have tried playing with the AOS Virizion, and I don't like it all that much. So I subbed it out for a Fates Collide Lugia and it has become a lot more helpful. The 120 for three is nice because you can lysandre into a Shaymin or Manaphy, and KO them right there. Also, assuming you don't need Garb or just don't have him out, the Pressure ability on Lugia makes it harder for big brutes to one shot him. And like you said, with more and more bulky ex's hitting meta Lugia will see more and more chances to it for Maximum damage. Also consider it being able to have its own use of FFB.

I' am sort of worried about the low damage out put. However Sceptile makes up for it with his speed. A one turn mega Scep will be very hard to counter, also the help of the energy attachment should get Lugia EX, all powered up for high damage.

I have tried playing with the AOS Virizion, and I don't like it all that much. So I subbed it out for a Fates Collide Lugia and it has become a lot more helpful. The 120 for three is nice because you can lysandre into a Shaymin or Manaphy, and KO them right there. Also, assuming you don't need Garb or just don't have him out, the Pressure ability on Lugia makes it harder for big brutes to one shot him. And like you said, with more and more bulky ex's hitting meta Lugia will see more and more chances to it for Maximum damage. Also consider it being able to have its own use of FFB.
I agree the veriz isn't very helpful unless in the regice/glaceon situation. I will have to sub out it for the lugia. I run lugia ex and he has gotten me out of some sticky situations. Maybe place in one FFB? Worse comes to worse it's just another tool for garb.

Nice list.

I too am running an M Sceptile EX deck this next season. From my testing thus far, the inherent "speed" (enhanced via Forest of Giant Plants and Mega Turbo) of the deck is really good. I've also found that a Pokemon Center Lady (vs. your Pokemon Ranger perhaps) and Skyla (vs. 1 of your Trainer's Mail perhaps) to be very useful.

Should I have a poor start, the PCL has helped keep my sole M Sceptile EX going till I can get more support onto my bench. Skyla just enhances versatily, especially if I need to get a particular Stadium.

Why no Ninja Boy?

Nice list.

I too am running an M Sceptile EX deck this next season. From my testing thus far, the inherent "speed" (enhanced via Forest of Giant Plants and Mega Turbo) of the deck is really good. I've also found that a Pokemon Center Lady (vs. your Pokemon Ranger perhaps) and Skyla (vs. 1 of your Trainer's Mail perhaps) to be very useful.

Should I have a poor start, the PCL has helped keep my sole M Sceptile EX going till I can get more support onto my bench. Skyla just enhances versatily, especially if I need to get a particular Stadium.

Why no Ninja Boy?
Thank you for the input and suggestions! I had no Ninja Boy because this, for the most part, was just a first thought list, with the intention of editing it from further brainstorming and suggestions from other people.

I am play testing this deck with some of the new Steam Siege cards (as proxies of course), and I really only think one Ninja Boy is necessary. Theoretically with the mega turbos and FOGP you can get a turn one M Sceptile. Which if I am correct will make M Sceptile the fastest card for standard.

I am play testing a M Sceptile/ Garb and a Sceptile/Ariados/Vilplume and I have found the M Sceptile to be more consistent. But, this deck has a hard time, which I thought it would, against Darkrai/Giratina, does a 50-50 with M Scizor and if you have a bad start against Fire it's almost dead in the water. I have also thrown in Lugia Break and it has had its use for a one hit KO on Regice. I think a Ranger is a definite card in this deck. Maybe be ambitious and sub for the hex.

Back