Darkrai-EX / Giratina-EX / Garbodor

can we increase the baby Yveltal count and trade it with NMers? it seems the only benefical trade against NM
I think if you want to trade well with night March, you want to run pokemon that can equalize or improve the prize trade against their relentless attacks. They can just Lysandre or ko three ex Pokemon for game if they get enough night March Pokemon in the discard. Baby Yveltal is only there to force a 7 prize game if they can't present Lysandre. Fright night is far more dangerous to night March, as it allows shaymin ex to ko joltik with fighting fury belt. Fright night however benefits greatly from DCE which is counter productive for darkrai's damage.

Fright Night Yveltal is dependant on the DCE. Yes NM will run a hammer and Xerosic to ward off the special energies, but I feel like NM is more dependant on Teammates than Xerosic to get the KO rather than a stall. It would be an interesting tech for Darkrai/Tina decks

I've been playing this deck a bit more. The best way out is through N. I've been picking up more games because of N. Use Yveltal to hold them at bay as best you can, bench Giratinia EX's and Baby Yvletals. Don't bench anything else, everything else is a liability. Get Gritinia setup as fast possible and us N as much as possible. U need to keep the opponent reshuffling. The reason why yveltal is big in the match up is because u need to N Night March to one. Because of the vast amount of items and strong plays in the beginning, Ning Night March to one at end game is a reasonable play. Yveltal just allows this to happen based of prize exchange. I run one Delinquent in my deck. It helps at times and other times it's dead weight.

Because of N to one, I've picked up my last six games against the deck. I'm starting to see a bit of consistency, but it's not the easiest win, and you have to play the deck completely different then normal. You also need to play perfect. NM can make sloppy plays against the deck and recoup, girtinia cannot. Also, if you bench Darkria and attach, the game is over.

The best way to win is by keeping NM hand low or not at all. It can struggle at times when the larger hand size is not available.

Problem is now, with Pokemon Ranger, even Giratina can't save you. AND if they run Ninjaboy, they can attach to Shaymin and Ninjaboy to a Joltik for an easy OHKO.

I've been playing this deck a bit more. The best way out is through N. I've been picking up more games because of N. Use Yveltal to hold them at bay as best you can, bench Giratinia EX's and Baby Yvletals. Don't bench anything else, everything else is a liability. Get Gritinia setup as fast possible and us N as much as possible. U need to keep the opponent reshuffling. The reason why yveltal is big in the match up is because u need to N Night March to one. Because of the vast amount of items and strong plays in the beginning, Ning Night March to one at end game is a reasonable play. Yveltal just allows this to happen based of prize exchange. I run one Delinquent in my deck. It helps at times and other times it's dead weight.

Because of N to one, I've picked up my last six games against the deck. I'm starting to see a bit of consistency, but it's not the easiest win, and you have to play the deck completely different then normal. You also need to play perfect. NM can make sloppy plays against the deck and recoup, girtinia cannot. Also, if you bench Darkria and attach, the game is over.

The best way to win is by keeping NM hand low or not at all. It can struggle at times when the larger hand size is not available.

You can also use the new Hydreigon, while including its BREAK stage in this deck as a Giratina replacement as a consequence of Pokemon Ranger's existence(not to say that I'm in support of removing Giratina-EX, when I'm not, but in my opinion, it's worth a look): 2 Hydreigon BREAKs+2 Assault Vests + Cruel Fang=Your team getting an additional turn: 190-(220(Max NM damage possible)+10(Fighting Fury Belt)-40(Cruel Fang)-40(Assault Vest))= 190-150=40...

^ Plus, Hydreigon BREAK can even snipe at the unbelted FCO Mews for 2-3 KOs in one turn w/ Calamity Blast. Hydreigon can even serve as backup attacker using Dark Burn w/ enough energy on board to discard three darks for 150 damage to Shaymin-EX for the KO, belted or not... :)

^Other than that, the addition of Ranger nerfs Giratina-EX in a way she can't be relied on any more vs. NM, meaning it's time to think about NM-debuffers like Assault Vest and the new Hydreigon's attack, whether in Stage 2 or when it goes BREAK form...

^However, to make room for that strategy, I'm afraid these changes will be made to my latest take from the skeleton:

-4 Trainers' Mail
-2 Giratina-EX(Pokemon ranger-induced)
-1 Sycamore

+2 Deino STS
+2 Zweilous STS
+2 Hydreigon STS
+2 Hydreigon BREAK
+2 Assault Vest
+1 Parallel City
+1 Wally
+1 Yveltal XY(to recover energy discarded by Dark Burn and/or Calamity Blast)

Last edited:
You can also use the new Hydreigon, while including its BREAK stage in this deck as a Giratina replacement as a consequence of Pokemon Ranger's existence(not to say that I'm in support of removing Giratina-EX, when I'm not, but in my opinion, it's worth a look): 2 Hydreigon BREAKs+2 Assault Vests + Cruel Fang=Your team getting an additional turn: 190-(220(Max NM damage possible)+10(Fighting Fury Belt)-40(Cruel Fang)-40(Assault Vest))= 190-150=40...

^ Plus, Hydreigon BREAK can even snipe at the unbelted FCO Mews for 2-3 KOs in one turn w/ Calamity Blast. Hydreigon can even serve as backup attacker using Dark Burn w/ enough energy on board to discard three darks for 150 damage to Shaymin-EX for the KO, belted or not... :)

^Other than that, the addition of Ranger nerfs Giratina-EX in a way she can't be relied on any more vs. NM, meaning it's time to think about NM-debuffers like Assault Vest and the new Hydreigon's attack, whether in Stage 2 or when it goes BREAK form...

^However, to make room for that strategy, I'm afraid these changes will be made to my latest take from the skeleton:

-4 Trainers' Mail
-2 Giratina-EX(Pokemon ranger-induced)
-1 Sycamore

+2 Deino STS
+2 Zweilous STS
+2 Hydreigon STS
+2 Hydreigon BREAK
+2 Assault Vest
+1 Parallel City
+1 Wally
+1 Yveltal XY(to recover energy discarded by Dark Burn and/or Calamity Blast)

Admittedly, this is really interesting, however, its just a bit too clunky for such a fast paced metagame. Also, at least for the next month, why not use the far better Hydreigon from Phantom Forces, as it also helps with energy acceleration. Personally, after multiple tens of hours of testing, Ive felt that Darkrai EX, Giratina EX, and Garbodor best function in addition with a copy of Yveltal XY (I use the steam siege one though, the artwork on it is really nice), and possibly a single copy of Latios EX. My decklist is below, to give context for my next paragraph.

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 12

* 2 Shaymin-EX ROS 77
* 3 Darkrai-EX BKP 74
* 1 Yveltal STS 65
* 2 Giratina-EX AOR 57
* 2 Trubbish BKP 56
* 2 Garbodor BKP 57

##Trainer Cards - 35

* 2 N FAC 105
* 2 Lysandre FLF 90
* 1 Startling Megaphone FLF 97
* 1 Super Rod BKT 149
* 4 Max Elixir BKP 102
* 3 Fighting Fury Belt BKP 99
* 3 Trainers' Mail ROS 92
* 2 Parallel City BKT 145
* 1 Pokémon Ranger STS 104
* 1 AZ PHF 91
* 3 Float Stone BKT 137
* 4 Ultra Ball ROS 93
* 4 Professor Sycamore XY 122
* 4 VS Seeker PHF 109

##Energy - 13

* 4 Double Dragon Energy ROS 97
* 9 Darkness Energy Energy 7

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

For Latios EX, I for me personally, that its too inconsistent to really carry its weight, and despite how good it can be in a tournament setting (even one donk can be crucial for making top cut), for me (just a casual-competitive player), its not as important on PTCGO. This also allows me to run FFB over Muscle Band, since despite losing 10 extra damage (which can be the difference between a KO and survival), having the extra 40 HP is very important in many situations. For example, Night March, you'd need 10-11 Night Marchers discarded to OHKO a Darkrai or Giratina, rather than just 8 or 9, FFB also improves an already decently strong Trevenant matchup by making EX's (including benched shaymin when necessary) another attack further from a KO. These aren't the only reasons of course, but basically the way I see it, is that I find myself needing an extra few HP far more often than an extra 10 damage that muscle band has over FFB. As for Yveltal XY, (STS in this case), it can force a 7 prize game without having to lose pokemon needed for the ability lock, and put more lost energy onto the field, and lastly, it is indeed very useful against Night March. 2 Trubbish, 2 Garbodor, 2 Shaymin EX, are all for the ability lock and consistency. Onto trainers, I haven't changed much from the standard, after all, standard is called standard for a reason: its consistent, and its proven to work. My two 1 of item cards, Super Rod and Startling Megaphone, have both been vital at times, and do their jobs wonderfully, allowing to recover due to a quick start of my opponent, or me having to Sycamore away some resources, and a well timed Startling Megaphone can cripple the rarely seen Mega Pokemon decks (Rayquaza, Sceptile, Alakazam, Manectric, etc.). I've used AZ just as much as Cassius, and in my honest opinion, they're just super similar cards that offer slightly different perks. Last of all before my closing comments, are my feelings on Pokemon Ranger. Many people have said that Pokemon Ranger will cripple Giratina, however, it really isn't the case. Pokemon Ranger's release certainly hurts it, but its not a knock out blow, Giratina will still be nearly as strong as ever. In fact, I feel that in the PRC-STS format, with M Rayquaza EX likely rising up to be the strongest deck in the format, Giratina EX's ability will be vital too. The only changes that I'll need to make for my deck list for the PRC-on format will be changing AZ and Startling Megaphone, which I'll probably replace with a 10th Dark Energy and a 3rd Parallel City, as I always find myself needing another copy of boh. Anyway, I feel that this deck is one of the three best in format (Night March and Trevenant being the other two), and that it will continue to be a major part in our format. In my honest opinion, just like Darkrai DEX decks of years past, this deck will continue to evolve with the format as well.

Hey, I've been playing this deck for 1 month with huge success so far, however everytime I get to play vs a mGardevoirEX or Xerneas Break it seems impossible to take more than 2-3 Prize cards before I lose. Even if I get really lucky and hit 4 max elixirs really early it seems like winning is impossible in this matchup.

I know that it's probably an auto-loss but has anyone thought of any card/tech that can make this matchup a bit more "bearable" ?

Hey, I've been playing this deck for 1 month with huge success so far, however everytime I get to play vs a mGardevoirEX or Xerneas Break it seems impossible to take more than 2-3 Prize cards before I lose. Even if I get really lucky and hit 4 max elixirs really early it seems like winning is impossible in this matchup.

I know that it's probably an auto-loss but has anyone thought of any card/tech that can make this matchup a bit more "bearable" ?
Yveltal ex is the only dark or dragon Pokemon I know that is capable of combatting offensive fairies. Darkrai needs a bit more time to charge than xerneas and requires dragons to be in play for its best damage which are a liability against fairies due to weakness. Weakness policy could help, but it's a rather abysmal matchup right now.

Hmm, I'm playing 3x DarkraiEX, I could swap one for an Yveltal EX.
With a FFB you need 9 energies on both actives to 1hko which is rather difficult to happen. I guess it will be 5-7 most of the times (= 90-130dmg) which is enough to 2hko a GardevoirEX. Doesn't sound bad as long as I can keep my Yveltal for 2-3 turns without losing it. I'll probably try it, thanks!

I think it's going to become more difficult to OHKO unless youre running M Ray or M Mewtwo. The setups are just hit or miss on getting a OHKO so early in the game. There's so many variables that have to go right in the setup to get the OHKO that I feel you're going to have additional time to setup and going first is going to be key, where as going second last season could benefit you sometimes.

Have you tried playing Exp. Share to preserve your Darkness Energies?

Have you tried playing Exp. Share to preserve your Darkness Energies?

Hmm, I can see how Exp.Share can help, however it's 1 card to preserve 20dmg and that doesn't seem that helpful since most of the time my benched pokemon will hold a float stone or fury belt.

I might try out a new list that I came around recently that uses instead of garbodor 4 crushing hammers and 2 enhanced ones. It's focused pretty much on luck but in my league my Garbodor sees play pretty rarely anyway...

Darkrai/Tina/Hammers is alright. I wouldn't say it's a top tier DL just because you have to drop Pokemon to fit hammers in, but it may work as well as Toad/Tina did (minus the whole item lock)

I know that it's probably an auto-loss but has anyone thought of any card/tech that can make this match up a bit more "bearable" ?

No. There is no tech card that handles the match up. In today's meta, having weakness to something that actually hurts. My suggestion is to become familiar with a couple of decks and play against meta's.

Example:Everybody is playing sizor EX, I'm playing Valcanion. Everybody plays Garitnia, I play Xernias.

In my opinion, after watching a few league challenges, making the right meta call on game day is more important then the deck itself.

If it's just online, when I see everybody shadow copying a popular deck, I just play an anti-meta deck and pick up wins.

Unfortunately, in this new Meta, the player needs to know how to play several decks against a variety of match ups. If one deck rises, anti-meta decks are really easy to play and combat the rise of that deck.

It's very different from last season because I feel that I'm playing a much larger and vast game. Instead of practicing one deck, I'm practicing at 3 decks. Hard to keep up with, but it makes the game more interesting.

This deck is so cool, I love Max Elixer. Once I managed to attach 5 energies on my Yveltal EX with one Double Colorless and three Max Elixer on my first turn. Four copies of Fighting Fury Belt is also a must for this deck. Also I prefer to play this deck without Garbodor because I use Renegade Pulse and Set-up a lot during various matches.

BTW M-Gardevoir (PRC+STS) + Giratina EX is a very similar deck that is better in a lot of ways. (If you ask me) :p

I run a deck very similar to this, but I run 3 Float Stones. I also run 3 Parallel City's, which is beneficial against MRay decks or if I need to get rid of easy hits on my bench (super good against Fight Alone Lucario). I have been topping a lot lately, before that I was doing 2-2 or 3-1. MRay decks hate me as long as I can get Parallel up and keep Giratina as my attacker. It's really beautiful.
XY9_EN_57.png

Basically, Garbodor flipping people off describes this deck perfectly when facing Megas. :D

Regarding the Fairies match-up... is it worth thinking about Bisharp? I guess making room for a 2-2 line is just too clunky though :/

Well, you could run that instead of garbodor as your evolution line. It is worth testing at least.
Didn't work too well. Just saving the 4 slots, adding 1 or 2 Hex Maniacs and extra energy yielded better results for me.
Volcanion is a huge pain without Garb though :/

Back