Discussion PCR-On Yveltal (the options)

Treydog

Aspiring Trainer
In the new format (PCR-On), I feel that Yveltal ex/ dark toolbox could be a good contender next season. These are the ways I think you could run Yveltal and I want to know what other people think about them.

1. Straight Yveltal ex- the way we might have seen it be played in the 14-15 season.
Main attackers- Yveltal ex, baby Yveltal- Possibly a Darkrai one of

2. Fright Night Yveltal/Yveltal ex/Oblivion wing Yveltal/Yveltal BREAK- the deck would use baby Yveltal to power up the fright night one. After you power fright night Yveltal up, use pitch black spear to spread damage, and then evolve to Yveltal BREAK and use his attack. This is a way I think you could spread damage so the Yveltal BREAK's attack can do the maximum damage (You would also play 2 of Yveltal ex in case you don't like the match-up.
Main Attackers- baby Yveltal, fright night Yveltal, Yveltal BREAK, and Yveltal ex

3. Dark Toolbox - this deck is more of "whatever suits the matchup use them" type of deck. This deck would play many different types of attackers and you could put many tech attackers in for certain matchups. A base to build this deck around to start would be 2 copies of Yveltal a 2-2-1 line zoroark and one copy of darkrai.
Main attackers-Zoroark,Yveltal ex, any other dark tech attackers.

These are the three ways I think we might see Yveltal be played in the next season. Feel free to write what you would do about each deck and if you think Yveltal will be a tier 1 deck next season.

Frosstoise

Pokemon Connoisseur
I really like a one-off Oblivion Wing Yveltal in Darkrai/Tina, just for that little extra oomph getting some more darkness onto the bench for the next Darkrai coming out. Yveltal gets sacrificed, but for the greater good of The Dark One.

Something like M Alakazam/remaining bats might pair well with Yveltal BREAK, though I don't know if there's going to be enough to build a solid deck around. It feels like that card is going to have some long competitive life to it, though; it's like M Gallade without all the baggage.

21times

Aspiring Trainer
I'm having a lot of success in play testing Yveltal EX and Zoroark. I definitely like Yveltal Break when it comes out to go with this. I'm not a fan of Darkrai and Giratina lately, I've played a couple matches with this deck against them and had a fairly easy time.

DowntownBulbasaurBrown

Aspiring Trainer
I have been thinking Yveltal Break plus the new Spiritomb when they come out. Going to have to play test a good bit though. Even though Spiritomb is a basic Pokemon, you still need 2 energy to use his attack to move damage counters around in order to help Yveltal Break do damage to everything. So it could end up being a little clunky. Especially considering I would still want Zoroark and Yveltal EX in there.

SpoonLarry

Aspiring Trainer
The full Yveltal Lineup will always be the star of the show in these decks so never skimp out on them in favor of other tech, remove other things, they just compliment each other so well, my only problem is the break, and its offset energy cost, its not detrimental but in my testing its a noticeable inconvenience, being able to Y Cyclone that DCE onto a fright night Yveltal, Zoroark, or another Yveltal-EX is really handy, also ninja boy will work great in this deck having the versatility to swap out other attackers with the same energy costs. I haven't had as much success with Darkai-EX as a tech and 2-2 garbo hasn't been too consistent at all, I'm gonna try 3-3 taking out a Jirachi and a Darkness energy. An absolute must is 3+ Parallel city, I can't stress this enough, it's just too damn powerful, helps against Raichu making it unable to knock out even just your normal Yveltals and its devastating for M Ray and helps you in your greninja match-up as well in the reverse position.

SaucySedcer

Aspiring Trainer
My current build is using Darkrai EX, Yveltal EX, Zoroark (This actually aids your strategy, while Garbodor only hurts your opponent's strategy), and Yveltal (Just the Oblivion Wing one, might run one Fright Night eventually, but I much prefer the consistency of just running Oblivion Wing). I don't like running the Giratina build because while it is a stronger deck, I like the flexibility of DCE more.
The main focus is to:
  • Accelerate a ton of Dark Energy onto Yveltal EX and Zoroark through Max Elixir and Baby Yvel
  • Use Darkrai EX and a DCE to apply constant pressure without giving up Dark Energy
  • Use Yveltal EX to finish off certain Pokemon and punish heavy energy investments
  • Use Zoroark to get deal with Carbink/Rayquaza, and improve Pokemon rotation
While this build is pretty standard, it is very consistent and more importantly flexible enough to win under a lot of gamestates. If we get good item removal I might play a more aggressive build, but for now, I will play the tried and true version.

Treydog

Aspiring Trainer
My current build is using Darkrai EX, Yveltal EX, Zoroark (This actually aids your strategy, while Garbodor only hurts your opponent's strategy), and Yveltal (Just the Oblivion Wing one, might run one Fright Night eventually, but I much prefer the consistency of just running Oblivion Wing). I don't like running the Giratina build because while it is a stronger deck, I like the flexibility of DCE more.
The main focus is to:
  • Accelerate a ton of Dark Energy onto Yveltal EX and Zoroark through Max Elixir and Baby Yvel
  • Use Darkrai EX and a DCE to apply constant pressure without giving up Dark Energy
  • Use Yveltal EX to finish off certain Pokemon and punish heavy energy investments
  • Use Zoroark to get deal with Carbink/Rayquaza, and improve Pokemon rotation
While this build is pretty standard, it is very consistent and more importantly flexible enough to win under a lot of gamestates. If we get good item removal I might play a more aggressive build, but for now, I will play the tried and true version.

I agree with you. The only reason I play fright night Yveltal is because I like the 60 60 spread, especially now that ex's are gaining momentum and they are seeing more play. I also like playing Zoroark because you can Zoroark and get an Yveltal to the bench and max elixir to it. I think a more aggressive build might be need in the future. I'm trying to figure out a good way to run an aggressive build while not wasting resources for the late game. I feel that 4 puzzle of time are needed in the aggressive build because you might lose key resources in the early game explosion.

SaucySedcer

Aspiring Trainer
I agree with you. The only reason I play fright night Yveltal is because I like the 60 60 spread, especially now that ex's are gaining momentum and they are seeing more play. I also like playing Zoroark because you can Zoroark and get an Yveltal to the bench and max elixir to it. I think a more aggressive build might be need in the future. I'm trying to figure out a good way to run an aggressive build while not wasting resources for the late game. I feel that 4 puzzle of time are needed in the aggressive build because you might lose key resources in the early game explosion.

I think with the only truly fast deck being Rayquaza (Post Rotation), there isn't a need to try to turbo this build. A lot of my wins come from being able to out resource my opponent and put up favorable prize trades through Zoroark and Baby Yvel. It also has an absolutely amazing Rayquaza matchup, so that is another big reason I like the deck. It is also a very flexible deck, I was thinking about playing a build with Hoopa/Skyfield/Raichu just to slam the Rayquaza matchup, but I enjoy the Zoroark/Parallel City version more.

Spookybruh

Aspiring Trainer
What does one mean when someone says "baby" yveltal ?

Also, I'm thinking about running a really aggressive zor/yvetal deck for the upcoming rotation, should I use darkrai and friends? Because I don't think I would windicate games with running a 4 of zoroark linew and night fright yveltalspiderman, thoughts of a line up of mons to use?

Spookybruh

Aspiring Trainer
What does one mean when someone says "baby" yveltal ?

Also, I'm thinking about running a really aggressive zor/yvetal deck for the upcoming rotation, should I use darkrai and friends? Because I don't think I would windicate games with running a 4 of zoroark linew and night fright yveltalspiderman, thoughts of a line up of mons to use?

Sorry autocorrect auto piloted
Yveltal* win games*

FierySplash

Aspiring Trainer
In the new format (PCR-On), I feel that Yveltal ex/ dark toolbox could be a good contender next season. These are the ways I think you could run Yveltal and I want to know what other people think about them.

1. Straight Yveltal ex- the way we might have seen it be played in the 14-15 season.
Main attackers- Yveltal ex, baby Yveltal- Possibly a Darkrai one of

2. Fright Night Yveltal/Yveltal ex/Oblivion wing Yveltal/Yveltal BREAK- the deck would use baby Yveltal to power up the fright night one. After you power fright night Yveltal up, use pitch black spear to spread damage, and then evolve to Yveltal BREAK and use his attack. This is a way I think you could spread damage so the Yveltal BREAK's attack can do the maximum damage (You would also play 2 of Yveltal ex in case you don't like the match-up.
Main Attackers- baby Yveltal, fright night Yveltal, Yveltal BREAK, and Yveltal ex

3. Dark Toolbox - this deck is more of "whatever suits the matchup use them" type of deck. This deck would play many different types of attackers and you could put many tech attackers in for certain matchups. A base to build this deck around to start would be 2 copies of Yveltal a 2-2-1 line zoroark and one copy of darkrai.
Main attackers-Zoroark,Yveltal ex, any other dark tech attackers.

These are the three ways I think we might see Yveltal be played in the next season. Feel free to write what you would do about each deck and if you think Yveltal will be a tier 1 deck next season.

Try running a Zoroak break along with any one of those Yveltal decks. Zoroak's foul play attack is quite powerful as it only needs a single energy and can go for 2HKOs and possibly OHKOs.

TuxedoBlack

Old School Player
As many/most of you noted, the attack options and versatility are simply GREAT. In a few matches, Zoroark BREAK was the deck's MVP (Most Valuable Pokémon); it's amazing at times. I recently went undefeated at an LC this month running my Darkrai-Zoroark-Yveltal (DZY) deck. My current build consists of: 2 Darkrai EX (this may be replaced), 2-2-1 Zoroark line (may add another Zoroark BREAK), 2 Yveltal (XY), 1 Yveltal (BKT) (maybe add another) and 2 Yveltal EX.

I've also tested a few other builds, such as Yveltal-Sceptile, Darkrai-Yveltal-Garbodor, and Darkrai-Giratina-Garbodor, but have not "like" them as much as my DZY deck version.