Why is Jirachi Promo Popular?

Redhawk05

Aspiring Trainer
Why is this card so sought after in the TCG Online community?

It's a psychic type basic that either does 10 damage, and removes a special energy from your opponent, or 20 damage, and puts both active Pokemon to sleep.

Thank you.

Attachments

• jirachi.jpg
    jirachi.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 13

Purrloin

Mainly because some of the most powerful decks (Night March, Seismitoad) run DCE; sometimes they run only DCE. Having a Special-discarding Basic that can be splashed into any deck due to its colorless cost is very useful in cases like these, especially when there isn't very reliable means of pulling Special Energy back out of the discard. :D

Also remember that it not only discards; it also resists attacks during the turn after discarding. So Night March, for instance, can only sit and cry.

Last edited:

JayMatt1138

Aspiring Trainer
Part of its allure in PTCGO is that it is difficult to get if you missed out on its availability in the shop. It can no longer be bought in the in game store for coins, and those that did use their coins on it when it was available can't trade it because it is locked. There are few unlocked Jiracho promos (compared to locked ones) that can be traded for so supply & demand means they're ridiculously overpriced trades. I still find the blisters in retail stores regularly but since there's no code with them to redeem there's not an easy way to get them online.

Redhawk05

Aspiring Trainer
Ah okay. I have yet to play online tournaments. Maybe I shouldn't have traded him. I play mostly versus so far. I traded him for an Alakazam EX, and Mega Alakazam EX.

Otaku

The wise fool?
It's a psychic type basic...

Its a Metal Type basic. ;)

Otherwise it is as people have said. For the physical and online TCGs, Jirachi is a reusable counter for Special Energy reliant decks. Even after Puzzle of Time made it easier for things like Night March to reclaim Double Colorless Energy, even though you can just use Lysandre to force up something from the Bench while Jirachi is invulnerable, it disrupts your opponent significantly. Plus you can slip it into almost anything, so (for example) sometimes you won't be able to use Puzzle of Time because of Item lock.

The PTCGO is an odd example; this card has been made available for purchase in the online star multiple times; you get it and some virtual booster packs. You can buy them with Tokens but they won't be available for trade. I saved up and bought four the first time it was available. XD I guess a lot of folks didn't, or simply couldn't. I mean you've got the busy (there are weeks I barely touch the PTCGO), or when you're just not winning (and thus not earning many Tokens), and hopefully it means a lot more people are joining the PTCGO and they just weren't there when it has been "for sale".

poke4trade

Raising Ash
There is going to be a lot of special energy running around next season. Jirachi will see more play.

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
I don't know if it'll be more popular than it is now. I'd say as popular or a little less.