• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Alt. Format Houndoom/Volcanion/Empoleon high damage deck(2017 rotation)

Petzz

Aspiring Trainer
What do you think of this deck.
This is just an idea, maybe you don't like it or want to change it. That's fine, give tips and try to help me with improving this deck

Pokemon 18
  • 4 Houndoom ex BKT
  • 4 Volcanion ex STS
  • 3 Piplup BKT
  • 1 Prinplup BKT
  • 3 Empoleon BKT
  • 1 Hoopa AOR
  • 2 Shaymin ex ROS
Trainers 33
  • 3 Sycamore
  • 3 N
  • 1 Lysandre
  • 2 Fisherman
  • 4 Trainers Mail
  • 4 VS Seeker
  • 1 Energy Retrieval
  • 2 Rare Candy
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 4 Dive Ball
  • 2 Switch
  • 3 Fighting Fury Belt
  • 4 Skyfield
Energies 9
  • 9 Fire Energy
The deck sets up fairly quickly. Ultra ball for Hoopa and you have 2 Volcanion and a Houndoom. Houndoom wasn't very good when it came out. Yeah, Mega Houndoom helped, but with a damage boost it can be a force to be reckon with. Empoleon will come a bit later in the game. If you have 4 Volcanions and 3 Empoleons can do 230 and attach a Fire Energy from your discard pile to a Pokemon.

I think 1 more energy would be better but i don't know what to switch out. I dont think this would be a top deck (M Rayquaza), but i think this could be a deck to be very afraid of.

Last edited:
Volcanion EX's ability scares me for the simple fact that it can be countered really easy with a Hex or Silent Lab. You have ways to get around silent lab, but a Hex play per turn will really slow this decks damage output down.

Volcanion EX's ability scares me for the simple fact that it can be countered really easy with a Hex or Silent Lab. You have ways to get around silent lab, but a Hex play per turn will really slow this decks damage output down.
Yeah, that's the weakness of this deck. Garbodor will also be a huge threat to this deck. It's just to wait and see how Volcanion will an impact on the meta after the rotation.

wobbuffet will also be irritating against this deck

Next season, getting off a Hex each turn will be a bit tougher. Unless it falls early game, you will be searching it out the whole game. It is a shockingly steady pace format that really inhibits turn one shanagins like the above. I like it.

If the silent lab falls, you give enough time for Valcanion EX to charge at a normal rate with max elixir. It hinders you and the opponent.

I think Volcanion EX is a real fast card for next season. Though the deck above has 18 pokemon. It will really hinder your ability for speed with Valcoanion EX. I would switch out these by taking out the pokemon, rare candies, and houndooms and 4 dive balls.
3 - Valcanion
1 - Physcic mind reading
3 - Max Elixirs
1 - Pokemon Ranger
2 - Professor letter.

Increase your energy count.

You have better chance of a second turn overwhelm by increasing energy count. It is the big contrast between last and the new season. Valcanion already hits for 20 so all you need is 3 energy cards + 2 volcanions. 1 energy to attach and 2 to discard. Now you hit for 80. If you get a fighting fury belt on, you hit for 90. You actually don't want to really run skyfield, you want to run scorched earth to handle your discard and increase the speed of the deck. When Valconion hits, you take the energy cards you discarded and place them on Volcanion EX.

Right now, Pokemon decks are rewarding trainers that have a high energy count (Xernias break, Darkria, Mew Two EX, and even Kyogre) are some of the few. They all will be good plays for next season. The 9 or 4 energy counts -- I think will be a harder plays for next season. That is, at least until someone figures out yanmega and runs no energy.

This could really work. What do you think of this deck.
This is just an idea, maybe you don't like it or want to change it. That's fine, give tips and try to help me with improving this deck

Pokemon 18
  • 4 Houndoom ex BKT
  • 4 Volcanion ex STS
  • 3 Piplup BKT
  • 1 Prinplup BKT
  • 3 Empoleon BKT
  • 1 Hoopa AOR
  • 2 Shaymin ex ROS
Trainers 33
  • 3 Sycamore
  • 3 N
  • 1 Lysandre
  • 2 Fisherman
  • 4 Trainers Mail
  • 4 VS Seeker
  • 1 Energy Retrieval
  • 2 Rare Candy
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 4 Dive Ball
  • 2 Switch
  • 3 Fighting Fury Belt
  • 4 Skyfield
Energies 9
  • 9 Fire Energy
The deck sets up fairly quickly. Ultra ball for Hoopa and you have 2 Volcanion and a Houndoom. Houndoom wasn't very good when it came out. Yeah, Mega Houndoom helped, but with a damage boost it can be a force to be reckon with. Empoleon will come a bit later in the game. If you have 4 Volcanions and 3 Empoleons can do 230 and attach a Fire Energy from your discard pile to a Pokemon.

I think 1 more energy would be better but i don't know what to switch out. I dont think this would be a top deck (M Rayquaza), but i think this could be a deck to be very afraid of.

Adding one or two Mega Houndooms will increase the damage potential of this deck greatly. If you decide to do that be sure to add more energies, also since you're building a Shaymin deck be sure to carry enough switches in order to withstand Lysandres, other wise the opponent will basically view your bench as 4 free price cards.

Next season, getting off a Hex each turn will be a bit tougher. Unless it falls early game, you will be searching it out the whole game. It is a shockingly steady pace format that really inhibits turn one shanagins like the above. I like it.

If the silent lab falls, you give enough time for Valcanion EX to charge at a normal rate with max elixir. It hinders you and the opponent.

I think Volcanion EX is a real fast card for next season. Though the deck above has 18 pokemon. It will really hinder your ability for speed with Valcoanion EX. I would switch out these by taking out the pokemon, rare candies, and houndooms and 4 dive balls.
3 - Valcanion
1 - Physcic mind reading
3 - Max Elixirs
1 - Pokemon Ranger
2 - Professor letter.

Increase your energy count.

You have better chance of a second turn overwhelm by increasing energy count. It is the big contrast between last and the new season. Valcanion already hits for 20 so all you need is 3 energy cards + 2 volcanions. 1 energy to attach and 2 to discard. Now you hit for 80. If you get a fighting fury belt on, you hit for 90. You actually don't want to really run skyfield, you want to run scorched earth to handle your discard and increase the speed of the deck. When Valconion hits, you take the energy cards you discarded and place them on Volcanion EX.

Right now, Pokemon decks are rewarding trainers that have a high energy count (Xernias break, Darkria, Mew Two EX, and even Kyogre) are some of the few. They all will be good plays for next season. The 9 or 4 energy counts -- I think will be a harder plays for next season. That is, at least until someone figures out yanmega and runs no energy.
This is a deck built around volcanion's ability. I don't want to change the deck like you did. This is just an idea of how to use Volcanion ex. I just wan't to try to make this work with empoleon.

This is a deck built around volcanion's ability. I don't want to change the deck like you did. This is just an idea of how to use Volcanion ex. I just wan't to try to make this work with empoleon.

Good Luck! I think the biggest issue with creating an ability based deck solely is Garbador. I think that is why Valnonion is needed. I think there should be a bit of a mix in the deck..

But If I was going to try your deck, I would use Torchic AT instead of Houndoom ex. Torchic attacks twice so with two Valcnoion EX on the bench plus an empoleon, plus a fighting spirit belt. You would do 160. Plus draw extra cards. Basically you would want to hunt down shaymins and play the prize card exchange.

Good Luck! I think the biggest issue with creating an ability based deck solely is Garbador. I think that is why Valnonion is needed. I think there should be a bit of a mix in the deck..

But If I was going to try your deck, I would use Torchic AT instead of Houndoom ex. Torchic attacks twice so with two Valcnoion EX on the bench plus an empoleon, plus a fighting spirit belt. You would do 160. Plus draw extra cards. Basically you would want to hunt down shaymins and play the prize card exchange.
I know that it won't have a chance against Garbodor. Sadly that's how Volcanion ex is. But thx for the help. This is just a fun deck to mess around with.

Back