Discussion Will people really play Pokemon Ranger?

GengarGuys

"Pickle Enthusiast"
I'm a Jolteon player and I want to play it for Autumn Regionals. Do you think People will play Pokemon Ranger? Please comment if you will include it in your lists. This is the potential deal breaker for my deck.

Vom

livin' in a lonely world
Forum Mod
I think most people will include 1 for now (I would), but will probably fall out of favor once Giratina-EX and Jolteon-EX decrease in popularity.

Draaka

Aspiring Trainer
I will likely play one, maybe two even. It depends on the deck, my Darkrai/Garb/Tina deck is all basic EX attackers, Garb gets around carbink, but that space that I would normally use for Hex maniac in my other decks will be a pokemon ranger. I also am considering running a Hydreigon or Tyrantrum who can attack through Jolteon with ease.

Hydriegon with FFB hits for 90 and has 220 HP, Jolteon with FFB swings for 80 and has 200 HP meaning we three shot each other, but if neither of us have FFB then Hydreigon two shots Jolteon but Jolteon still has to three shot Hydreigon. If you have a FFB but I don't, then we still three shot each other. So advantage Hydreigon, the match will likely come down to who can force their attack first. (assuming Jolteon already attacked with flash ray, if not then I would lysandre/escape rope combo and OHKO with Darkrai.

I think a 1/1 split, as Jolteon isn't the only pokemon who will be around who Ranger will need to deal with. This is assuming standard of course, in expanded I will almost certainly be playing two, and battle compressors to get them out as there is sooooo friggen much in expanded Ranger shuts down. They will be as useful as Lysandres I believe. Toad, Tina, Jolteon, Glaceon and a dozen other good cards in expanded all die to Ranger.

Apterous

Aspiring Trainer
Yeah, Jolteon used to have a soft counter in Escape Rope + Lysandre, but Pokemon Ranger is just one card which is much easier to dig out with VS Seeker, so people playing just basics will all have a 1-of. My prediction is that Jolteon-EX will see much less use.

crystal_pidgeot

Bird Trainer *Vaporeon on PokeGym*
Even if people don't play it, the card existing is good enough to prepare for future cards so it being around is good. I don't think too many decks have a problem with Jolteon EX and Pokemon Ranger is a card to make sure Jolteon EX (and related cards) stay in 'tech' territory rather than making a deck based on it. Remember when quad Suicune was a thing? Decks like that aren't healthy for the game and Ranger is just that thorn in your side.

IF you want to play quad Jolteon EX, then expect to run into someone with the counter. Jolteon EX isn't a bad card and won't be a bad card with the existence of Pokemon Ranger but you should want to build a 'good' deck rather than hoping for the right matchups.

BraviaryBoi

Anonymus
If you are looking for something to play, I suggest Jolteon/Vileplume as it is hard to stream Rangers under item lock.

Gabking5458

2016 MA TCG Senior Division Regional Champion!
There is a simple test for this:

Can this deck handle: Giratina-EX, Jolteon-EX, Glaceon-EX, and JirachiXY67?

If so they won't run it.

If not they will run it :)

poke4trade

Raising Ash
I honestly think that the matchup is better with enhance hammers. Not only clearing the energy stops an overbearing dark attack, but it can hinder it for a round or two. Special charg is a bit harder to get into play with only one running in the deck. If the opponent goes for special charge play they will need to subtract other resources from the deck. It will slow it down. Also pokemon ranger does not work unless you have an ultrabll in hand to draw for the shay. You sort need to wait for a big hand and then play the card. It takes a bit of paitience to play.

21times

Aspiring Trainer
I'm not playing it, and it's my suspicion that Jolteon/ Glaceon decks lose a little in the new rotation. I don't think that's going to be a top tier deck in the new meta, but I could be wrong. Certainly if I have to choose, Ninja Boy's going in my deck before Ranger.

Ms Hugo

Aspiring Trainer
I don't think Ranger will completely destroy these sorts of defensive decks, but the card is definitely something to look out for. A lot of people are saying most decks will include 1 Ranger, but without Battle Compressor there's no reliable way to dump it in the discard and VS Seeker it out. Even if they do get it, with only 1 copy of a supporter card, you still only get 5 potential uses of it with your 4 VS Seekers, and at least one of those will probably be used on Lysandre anyway.

So basically, if they use Ranger against attack-blocking attacks such as Flash Ray or Crystal Ray, they need to get the KO on the Pokemon that turn in order to make the play worth it. You will probably be able to see that KO coming, so you can prepare for it. Don't worry - I think Jolteon will still be a good option!

Not Cool!

Aspiring Trainer
Pokemon Ranger isn't a complete godsend; remember, using it uses up your supporter for the turn. If your deck runs almost exclusively on Basics (Jolteon), Special Energy (Jirachi and Giratina), Stadiums (Giratina), or Evolutions (Glaceon), and you feel that said cards are still being used, by all means include at least 2. I don't get how people are saying to use it as a one-of tech if your deck runs almost entirely on Basics (DarkTina) or Evolutions (MRay). What if it gets prized? I would be a lot more comfortable having two than one in this format. Besides, it's too early to tell if Pokemon Ranger will be our savior. Maybe they'll bring in more cards like Giratina and Jolteon/Glaceon in XY12 and SM, so we can only guess for now.

In the meantime, I would see M Ray teching at least two Pokemon Ranger for Glaceon and DarkTina w/ Friends (Garb, Hydreigon, etc). Any other deck is fine if you can balance your basics and evolutions and whatnot.