Bounsweet, Bewear, Comfey, Mudsdale, Mimikyu, Wimpod!

NinjaPenguin

Always standing out from the crowd.
I'm honestly furious about the Hyper Training. In my opinion, it ruins the concept of all Pokemon being different (which makes the repeat ball even more null than it previously was). When all Pokemon can become the same, it ruins the hard work many have gone through to get a perfect IV Pokemon. I hope these bottle caps are almost impossible to acquire and have a small effect (e.g. achieved by doing very well in major competitions (see Super Sea Snails in Splatoon, but more elusive) like Regionals, yet only increasing the IVs of that Pokemon by 1 in one stat), or else all the IV work I've done will become useless. There are many better solutions to fix the Gen 1 transfer issue. This is not the right one.

Crimzonlogic

I'm Batwoman.
IV's aren't set in stone anymore! All of the 4-IV shinies I've bred over the years will finally become flawless through training! That almost-pefect hidden ability blue nidoking I bred with the wimpy special stat will become competitively viable! Yes! I am so thrilled by this! :D

I'm honestly furious about the Hyper Training. In my opinion, it ruins the concept of all Pokemon being different (which makes the repeat ball even more null than it previously was). When all Pokemon can become the same, it ruins the hard work many have gone through to get a perfect IV Pokemon. I hope these bottle caps are almost impossible to acquire and have a small effect (e.g. achieved by doing very well in major competitions (see Super Sea Snails in Splatoon, but more elusive) like Regionals, yet only increasing the IVs of that Pokemon by 1 in one stat), or else all the IV work I've done will become useless. There are many better solutions to fix the Gen 1 transfer issue. This is not the right one.

But training to make your 'mons stronger is what pokemon training is supposed to be about, and how it always should have been! IV's being set in stone from birth/capture was a bummer. I have bred many, many flawless pokemon the legit way with no hacks, and even bred numerous shinies hoping for flawless or near flawless ones as well, getting about six flawless shinies in the process and many non-flawless. I wholeheartedly welcome this addition, and will gladly use it to power up my shinies that hatched just a few IV's short of being great. Also, think about it: That old starter you got waaaay back in gen three with crummy stats can now be transferred to Alola and trained to be competitive. My blastoise from fire red is making a comeback and seeing some competition, baby. :)

It also seems to imply that the pokemon needs to be level 100 to hyper train, too. So there's your bit of difficulty.

Confey MUST be related to the Flabebe line. The pure fairy type with a ton of flowers gave it away.

It actually reminds me of klefki. Both are ring fairies that collect things to hang on their bodies.

Last edited by a moderator:

King Xerneas

Icy Goth
Hyper training will literally be the only reason to not have hacked legendaries though. I mean just look at VGC, I bet that 99% of all those legendaries used are hacked because you just can't get competitively viable legendaries without having perfect luck or hacking.

I hope you're not planning on using Fissure, I can't imagine they'd leave that situation alone.
I am so here for broken Machamp when the games come out. Plus it gives us a way to sweep through any potential Battle facilities to grind for BP and a way to get back at the RNG for allowing a Walrein to land 3 consecutive Sheer Colds on me

Last edited by a moderator:

G-Panthera

Panthera's Fiercest Fighter
Oh right, Comfey is based on a ley. How did I not see that immediately?

Also, what is it with Game Freak making flower Pokemon pure Fairy? First the Flabebe line and now Comfey.

Maybe its because Fairies, at least the more cuter ones, are also often associated with forests, being forest spirits.

For the rest, I'm pretty happy with the new additions, with Wimpod being the most hillarious of the bunch in how they're described. Second, comes in Mudsdale, a powerful looking Ground-type horse as being my most favorite of the newly introduced mons. Its about time horses were given some more show in the games. I'm going to guess that Mudsdale will also be one of those Pokémon that you can ride.

As for Hyper Training, I can see why it would piss some people off that put in a lot of hours to breed the Perfect Mon. That said, however, Hyper Training is a solution for those who like to use Pokémon they caught in game, and can still use in the competitive gaming scene, emphasizing the whole "bonding with your Pokémon". After all, what is better? A Pokémon you caught in game and made into a powerhouse, or dumping it and using another variant of its species/offspring and turning that into a competitive Pokémon? I'd say the former is more desireable.

garbodorable

Aspiring Trainer
But training to make your 'mons stronger is what pokemon training is supposed to be about, and how it always should have been! IV's being set in stone from birth/capture was a bummer. I have bred many, many flawless pokemon the legit way with no hacks, and even bred numerous shinies hoping for flawless or near flawless ones as well, getting about six flawless shinies in the process and many non-flawless. I wholeheartedly welcome this addition, and will gladly use it to power up my shinies that hatched just a few IV's short of being great. Also, think about it: That old starter you got waaaay back in gen three with crummy stats can now be transferred to Alola and trained to be competitive. My blastoise from fire red is making a comeback and seeing some competition, baby. :)

It also seems to imply that the pokemon needs to be level 100 to hyper train, too. So there's your bit of difficulty.

I agree with this. Pokemon breeding should be rewarding, as it's always been a part of Pokemon lore, but so has treating Pokemon like your friends and getting stronger with them regardless of their pedigree. The way the metagame works, you can't compete without turning your game into a eugenic egg factory, or getting a friend to do that for you.

Making trainers get their Pokemon to lv 100 before they can IV train seems like a good compromise. That's still a long grind, but you can get tournament-viable Pokemon without breeding if you want to, and breeding will still be useful as an alternative, and for egg moves and the like.

One thing I do hope is that super training won't return in S/M. Not that I particularly enjoy EV training either, but it's easier and I prefer Pokemon games to have less feature bloat. The Pokenav in ORAS was a mess.

Last edited:

NinjaPenguin

Always standing out from the crowd.
Making trainers get their Pokemon to lv 100 before they can IV train seems like a good compromise. That's still a long grind
In a world where Blissey Bases are a thing, getting a Pokemon to level 100 is easy.
Hyper training will literally be the only reason to not have hacked legendaries though. I mean just look at VGC, I bet that 99% of all those legendaries used are hacked because you just can't get competitively viable legendaries without having perfect luck or hacking
That is a very good point. Maybe they could allow you to only do it on one-of Pokemon. Since they are so amazing (according to the in-game stories), this could be a good idea. Unfortunately, the bottle caps make me certain this is not the case.
On another note, the bottle caps make me think of the 1990s fad of pogs (which was Hawaiian by the way).

Banetthe

Pokémon and Yo-kai Watch regular-rare enthusiast
Well, I'm okay with most of these designs, and I must say I really like Comfey! Bounsweet and Mimikyu are pretty cool too, and I like the design of Wimpod (although it reminds me of Anorith a bit; don't get me wrong, I like Anorith) - That's going to be one tough one to catch! And you thought catching Abra in Gen 1 was bad, where you had to either train up a Paras or a Butterfree to learn Spore/Sleep Powder.

The horse, I'm still getting over. I don't really like the way it looks, but hey, it's a decent Pokémon, I can live with it. That bear, on the other hand...I can't stand it! That...Thing...is now officially my least favourite Pokémon in existence. And I used to think Ferrothorn was bad...

As for Hyper Training, I guess I'm super hyped! Kinda sounds like a certain other training we got in XY, so hopefully we'll be able to do both to really make any Pokémon our competitive team. Also hyped for Magearna...

Yes!Yes, yes, yes! Now I can finally use whichever Pokémon I want competitively, without having to hatch so many damn eggs...well, definitely easier than training a competitive team than in Crystal, I tell you that.

MegaButterfree

Old Timer
Bounsweet also reminds me of a litchi (in addition to the already-mentioned mangosteen). Maybe it will evolve into a pineapple.
Where are the dark and ice types already??? :)

garbodorable

Aspiring Trainer
Wimpod has kind of an interesting ability. I assumed it would only matter in wild encounters, but the site says "if this Pokémon’s HP drops below half in battle, it will run away or swap out for another Pokémon." So we can assume a few things:

1. It only runs away once after an attack or effect drops its HP to that level. If you switch it back into battle it presumably wouldn't run away again, unless maybe you heal it above 50% and then it gets hit again.

2. If Wimpod is your Pokemon and it swaps out, you get to choose what Pokemon enters in its place. So you can essentially get a free switch out - Wimpod can set something up, take a hit, and then you send in a Pokemon to reap the benefits without having to spend a turn.

Unless it's like Whirlwind and Roar and you can't choose what Pokemon comes in, or if it's speed dependent, like if a Pokemon goes first and knocks Wimpod below 50%, it will switch out right away and cancel its attack. Then it would be bad. Actually it's probably bad regardless.

crystal_pidgeot

Bird Trainer *Vaporeon on PokeGym*

To be honest, that ended a LONG time ago.

Rcxd9999

Aspiring Trainer

This means that there will be significantly less hacking. Most people don't have time to get to breed a perfect 6IV Pokemon or soft-reset until you get a 6IV Legendary Pokemon. I'm one of them. As a person who works full time and has two kids and a wife, I just don't have the time to do it the legit way. I'm not ashamed to say that I use PkHex because it allows me to get competitive Pokemon without spending hundreds of hours trying to get just one Pokemon.

If they do make Bottle Caps rare and hard to get instead of my suggestion of the being purchasable with BP at the Battle Maison, that'll leave people with two options:

1) Put all their Pokemon into Pokebank and keep restarting.
2) Hack to get as many Bottle Caps as they need

With the latter being much more likely.

This feature allows people who don't have time or people who are inexperienced to get competitively viable Pokemon which is something Pokemon has needed for a long time.

Zygarde

Z-Dawg
Wimpod has kind of an interesting ability. I assumed it would only matter in wild encounters, but the site says "if this Pokémon’s HP drops below half in battle, it will run away or swap out for another Pokémon." So we can assume a few things:

1. It only runs away once after an attack or effect drops its HP to that level. If you switch it back into battle it presumably wouldn't run away again, unless maybe you heal it above 50% and then it gets hit again.

2. If Wimpod is your Pokemon and it swaps out, you get to choose what Pokemon enters in its place. So you can essentially get a free switch out - Wimpod can set something up, take a hit, and then you send in a Pokemon to reap the benefits without having to spend a turn.

Unless it's like Whirlwind and Roar and you can't choose what Pokemon comes in, or if it's speed dependent, like if a Pokemon goes first and knocks Wimpod below 50%, it will switch out right away and cancel its attack. Then it would be bad. Actually it's probably bad regardless.
And on top of that, giving that Ability to a Stealth Rock weak mon is just hilarious. Imagine Wimpod taking a hit, running for its life in fear, and whenever it switches in again, the poor thing faints. lol
Love that coward bug tho

Chrono

Ragin' Cajun
Kind of interested to see how Wimpod's ability works, and whether or not it changes upon evolution. It'd better not be the same useless nonsense that ruined Archeops.

fleshrum

Cephalophore

Disagree, strongly. I have also bred, hatched and SR'd for competitive abilities and individual values religiously since I knew they existed, and think this is an awesome idea.
- To further the point Crimzonlogic made, all high-level play is full of perfect (from an IV standpoint) Pokémon. Aren't the similarities you seem to be against present in droves at high level play already?
- Why should the competitive edge of 15.5 extra stat points be reserved for people who have knowledge of a hidden mechanic? There are plenty of differences when deciding moveset and role between your Aegislash and mine.
- I lucked upon a Timid 31/31/29/31/31/31 Xerneas, along with several other 5 IV and 26-up legendaries, and I can't wait to train them to be even better. Isn't that what this game is all about?

EDIT: I also feel like it is much more time consuming to raise something to level 100 than it is to breed for 5 IVs and jump to 50, assuming you already have the tools to do so.

Last edited: