How to Affordably Build a Collection or Deck?

golduck350

Aspiring Trainer
Good Afternoon All,

So I am returning to playing Pokemon after many years of not playing. I played many years ago and now my kids are enjoying it so we'd like to be able to attend tournaments and game days. Found out today that older cards are not usable for the most part, so I have to somewhat start over with the XY cards. Any recommendations on how to affordably build a collection/decks for playing? Is it better to just buy singles to assemble decks or buy lots/packs/decks to use for the time being.

Thanks in advance

I strongly recommend aiming for singles, as the most expensive ones are not more than $20 (excluding Shaymin EX and secret rare versions of staple cards), and buying packs is essentially buying a lottery ticket, so it's best not to gamble on your chances (unless you like opening packs :p )

I recall that a few of the decks that have been released recently include a few staple trainers and Pokemon.

One of the most expensive and played Pokemon is Shaymin EX, but you can utilize certain decks without them if budget is an issue.

Some additional advice: ease into the game. No sense rushing as you might you find you don't enjoy the game as much as you think and it is brutal trying to match veteran players either learned skill or card pool... especially ones that have been here since the beginning! XD World Championships are in August and the next rotation is in September but we don't know what that rotation will be. No sense spending a lot of money on stuff that may either leave the format or no longer be as good because of the stuff that is.

TCGs as a whole can be pretty pricey to play beyond the most casual of levels. Playing as a familyh as many benefits, but needing duplicate play sets of important cards is not one of them. ;) Some of what you said has me wondering how long ago it really was that you stopped. This actually is relevant because a player who hasn't played the TCG since he was a kid in 2000 needs different advice than someone who left the game back in 2010.

@Pedro had some good advice, but just to clarify: it is Shaymin-EX from XY: Roaring Skies that is a deck staple and unfortunately quite pricey. There are only a few decks that work without it, at least for competitive play (not a problem if you're just going to Pokémon League to have some fun). There is however an older card named Shaymin-EX, still legal for Expanded play (but not Standard). I've seen enough knew players get faked out that I'd rather risk stating the obvious than someone duping you into overpaying for the older, rarely used version. ^^'

Last edited:
I recommend that you start playing and getting back in the swing of the game first.
There are many different types of decks.
and until you start playing a little, its hard to tell what might suit you and your style.
chances are... in the beginning, you can't assemble a deck like you want (ie shaymin, or multiple vs seekers due to cost).
but you still can sub something else in like shauna. granted it is far from ideal.
but you will get an idea of how to play the deck.
and you never know... you might like it. you might hate it and want to switch to something else.

so walk before you run.
and like the others responses. its almost impossible to get all the cards you need unless you open a LOT of packs.
it better just to get the singles.

Back