Greninja BREAK

Asclepius24

Aspiring Trainer
Well the Skeleton has N's already in it and there is room for 4 cards. I was wondering what most players play in those slots...

What I was thinking was like two Skylas and maybe a Town Map and Target Whistle? Or Rough Seas and Ultra Balls?
Maybe a Skyla, maybe Dedenne, or Muscle Band, Hard Charm, Letter, Delinquent, Evosoda, Ultra Ball, Level Ball... depends on what you want to cover.

WastedSkyPirate

What are people's opinions on the mirror match; what are the best techs? Unless people find a way to win against another Greninja, I forsee a lot of "Rough Seas - Shadow Stitching - retreat, rinse, repeat" which, ultimately, will lead to a lot of time outs at US Nationals.

A few considerations:
  • Max Potion
  • Muscle Band
  • Hard Charm
  • Bursting Balloon
  • Bent Spoon
  • Delinquent
  • Parallel City/Silent Lab/Stadium other than Rough Seas
Furthermore, after the results of the US tournament at Origins last weekend (where not a single Greninja deck made top 8), how do you think the deck needs to evolve to deal with Ability Lock (Darkrai-EX/Garbodor) and the Sceptile matchup?

Can these bad matchups be addressed by adding another Startling Megaphone, a Xerosic and a Weakness Policy? These seem like flimsy checks, not matchup-swinging techs. I think Greninja needs to be a bit more savvy but I'm struggling to find the answer.

Last edited:

awesomeMSG

Just a guy who wants to master Greninja BREAK
Startling megaphone I feel is very good in this deck. It get's rid of tools such as Fighting Fury Belt, Spirit Links, Bursting Balloons, and other annoying cards for this deck. It also helps against Garbodor being able to use your abilities for at least a turn.

GamesChess

Aspiring Trainer
Startling megaphone I feel is very good in this deck. It get's rid of tools such as Fighting Fury Belt, Spirit Links, Bursting Balloons, and other annoying cards for this deck. It also helps against Garbodor being able to use your abilities for at least a turn.

I played Jimmy (the winner) with my Greninja deck, I lost 1-2 against him, the game I won I was able to set up and megaphone his garb, then nuke him down in 1 turn. With the popularity of the garb/darkrai deck at Origins, I think running 2 megaphone is a fine idea. There were also lots of metal decks and megaphones can help nicely against those being able to lysandre out a bronzong and go ham with the shurikins.

I probably could have down played into a tie, but I was already out of the running for a top 8 spot and didn't want to be a jerk.

Here was my lineup.
R1 - Manectric (1-0) Win
R2 - M Sceptile (1-1) Tie
R3 - Metal Gen+Bronzong+Aegislash (1-1) Tie
R4 - Night March (1-1) Tie
R5 - Darkrai Garb (1-2) Lose
I dropped after this point

I had tons of ties, I didn't get to practice this deck online as much as I wanted because I can't get those Jirachi's.

Evader

Aspiring Trainer
[...]
R2 - M Sceptile (1-1) Tie
[...]

Hey can you tell me how did you manage to tie with M Sceptile? I have a Greninja deck myself too and in my locals there are 2 guys playing M Sceptile, that deck is impossible to play against (won't even mention going Tie)! Do you run any specific tech cards just to deal with them?
If so please enlighten me, we have a big tourney in 2 weeks and I want to try and do my best so any advice on this matter would be really appreciated..

Thanks <3

GamesChess

Aspiring Trainer
The M-Sceptile is just a bad matchup, I got lucky with the Tie. He had a rough start and I killed his sceptile before he set it up since he wiffed the energy, I kept shadow stitching to prevent his shaymin.
I didn't bother scooping Round 1, round 2 I won in a very long game, as soon as we dealt out our hands for round 3, time was called and we got a draw.

Evader

Aspiring Trainer
The M-Sceptile is just a bad matchup, I got lucky with the Tie. He had a rough start and I killed his sceptile before he set it up since he wiffed the energy, I kept shadow stitching to prevent his shaymin.
I didn't bother scooping Round 1, round 2 I won in a very long game, as soon as we dealt out our hands for round 3, time was called and we got a draw.

Yeah that explains things... Getting a tie vs that kind of deck is kinda of a dream.
I saw a guy running a copy of Jamming Net (just one, deck hasn't much free space anyway) in his Greninja deck probably just to deal with M Sceptile (Can't M-evolve without losing turn, Can't 1-HKO without poison). Seems like a good idea, however M-Sceptile probably can just scoop up, get rid of the Net and go on wrecking your day. I'll probably try it to see if it changes things though.

crowfeather4

R.I.P. Night March
Is it possible to only use two Greninja Break, as I am interested in building this deck and Greninja Breaks are really expensive.

Evader

Aspiring Trainer
Is it possible to only use two Greninja Break, as I am interested in building this deck and Greninja Breaks are really expensive.
I'd say that 3 Breaks are far better. However I've seen lists with just 2. It is possible just not as good.

If you decide going with just 2 you will need a town map for sure.

crowfeather4

R.I.P. Night March
I'd say that 3 Breaks are far better. However I've seen lists with just 2. It is possible just not as good.

If you decide going with just 2 you will need a town map for sure.

Ok, thanks for the advice. With two, I think Splash Energy would help a lot, wouldn't it?

Evader

Aspiring Trainer
Ok, thanks for the advice. With two, I think Splash Energy would help a lot, wouldn't it?

I've tried using it but it was meh. You can't discard it for Giant Water Shuriken and also when you attack with Greninja BP you return it to your hands most of the times.
I run 1 super rod and 1 sacred ash. You might as well use buddy-buddy rescue, I've seen a lot of people using that in this deck

brunopin

Aspiring Trainer
I`ve been using just 2 Greninja and it`s working pretty well for me, together with the town map there`s no mistake, it`s going to work pretty well!
I wish that Fates Collide was running when I was at Regionals! N totally change the way I was using this deck and right now I can have a solid game.

judekevinchu

Aspiring Trainer
Is Jirachi a must for this deck? I do not have it in my collection yet.... What can I substitute instead?

Shifusansou

Aspiring Trainer
Is Jirachi a must for this deck? I do not have it in my collection yet.... What can I substitute instead?
I think it is, it might win you a lot of Matchups since it slows Down NM etc. by so much and can help you deny the enemy a prize card while setting up your Breaks. It isnt too expensive either.

judekevinchu

Aspiring Trainer
I think it is, it might win you a lot of Matchups since it slows Down NM etc. by so much and can help you deny the enemy a prize card while setting up your Breaks. It isnt too expensive either.

I only play online, so it kinda sucks. Haha. So it can't be substituted with any pokemon or trainers?

Shifusansou

Aspiring Trainer
Oh well yeah, the problem with those Jirachis is very annoying online. I guess you can play without them and just Tech in some Item Cards or a 2-2 Octillery Line f.e.

PineDog

Random TCG Trainer
Quick Nit-Pick: on the skeleton list, I think the Open Space should be 5 not 4. I could very well be wrong, however, just something I noticed.

Doomsday94

Aspiring Trainer
I've been testing this deck for a little while, and saw an interesting tech in one of the lists from US Nationals, mostly for the mirror: Bent Spoon.

Situational at best outside of the mirror, and redundant if Pokemon Ranger has its effect last for the whole game, but it outright wins the mirror, which is awful otherwise. Instead of just trading Shadow Stitchings, Rough Seas healing and N's to stop deck outs, it gives you a chance to still get a few Giant Water Shurikens off, and saving an otherwise horrible match up.