• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Hit and Run! (Gengar EX / Trevenant / Aegislash EX)

Seth Mullinax

Aspiring Trainer
Pokemon 15
  • 3 Gengar EX (-1 on Edit 01)
  • 3 Wobuffett
  • 2 Trevenant
  • 3 Phantump
  • 2 Aegislash EX
  • 2 Carbink
Trainers 34
  • 4 Professor Sycamore
  • 3 Professor Birch's Observations
  • 2 N (+2 on Edit 01)
  • 2 Brigette (-2 on Edit 01)
  • 2 Lysandre (-2 on Edit 01)
  • 2 Xerosic
  • 4 VS Seeker
  • 3 Switch (+1 on Edit 01)
  • 2 Super Rod
  • 1 Ultra Ball (-2 on Edit 01)
  • 2 Robo Substitute (-1 on Edit 01)
  • 3 Float Stone (+1 on Edit 01)
  • 2 Head Ringer
  • 2 Dimension Valley (+2 on Edit 01)
Energy 11
  • 5 Psychic Energy (+2 on Edit 01)
  • 4 Mystery Energy
  • 2 Double Colorless Energy

Go easy on me! It's my first deck I've managed to slim down to 60 cards! The general idea behind the deck is pretty simple, disrupt the opponent, while keeping Gengar EX safe with hit and run attacks. Not really sure how else to elaborate here.

Get Gengar EX out, damage/poison opponents active, and swap into an appropriate counter - Wobuffett if the opponent is taking advantage of abilities, Trevenant to stop item usage (makes Gengar EX essentially a more powerful Toad), Aegislash EX to wall if they are using special energy, Carbink to wall if they are EX active, and Robo Substitute when no other option is available.

Sycamore and Birch for card draw, Brigette to find my appropriate counter, Lysandre to switch to a more favorable match up for what I may have on my bench to swap Gengar EX with, and Xerosic for more disruption.

VS Seeker is just powerful, Ultra Ball for more search, Super Rod to pull back anything I discard with Ultra Ball, Switch/Float Stone/Mystery Energy to help get Gengar back in, Head Ringer for more disruption, and DCE as Gengars attack is PCC.

Let me know what you guys think and what I could possibly do to improve! Thanks!

EDIT 01 - 05/31/2016:

So the deck was fairly slow, so I made some changes (reflected above, and below).
-1 Gengar EX
-2 Brigette
-2 Lysandre
-2 Ultra Ball
-1 Robo Substitute

+2 N
+1 Switch
+1 Float Stone
+2 Dimension Valley
+2 Psychic Energy

The deck really benefited from above changes. I found that having an Aegislash EX, Trevenant, Wobbuffet or Carbink out with no way to swap them really impacted my offense, thus the extra Switch and Float Stone. So far I have NEVER felt bad about drawing them. The N's are amazing cards, especially if you are playing from behind, but even if you are ahead they are great. The last two changes are what benefited the deck most, in my opinion, as they really sped it up to allow me to start destroying from turn one (Dimension Valley, Double Colorless on Gengar, its beautiful). It even benefits Wobbuffet, and Trevenant, which it does quite often, especially if they have a Carbink of there own.

Some notes for Edit 02... I'm not dissapointed in 4x Vs Seeker, but it is definitely something I haven't really cared either way on, so I could lose a card there I feel. Not sold at all on the 2 Super Rods, but I need something to be able to retrieve cards from Graveyard, and it still feels like the best fit. Not super sold on the Head Ringers either, but they have been beneficial at times, if for no other reason than to take up a Pokemon Tool slot. Finally, I feel I could lose a Mystery Energy for a plain Psychic, but I haven't really had the need to yet (with such low energy costs, losing one to Xerosic, etc., really hasn't cost me a game yet).

So finally, going forward, I would like a bit more fine tuning by putting our heads together, and start to work on specific match ups. For example I haven't proxyd against Night March yet. What do you guys think about that match up? And any others you may have.

Thanks!

Last edited:
This actually looks really good. However, your supporters are really heavy. I would recommend
-2 Lysandre
-1 Birch
-2 Brigette
-1 Xerosic

Also, I think it might just be better to completely cut out Trevenant as all of your other stalls are Basics. That's just me though.

This actually looks really good. However, your supporters are really heavy. I would recommend
-2 Lysandre
-1 Birch
-2 Brigette
-1 Xerosic

Also, I think it might just be better to completely cut out Trevenant as all of your other stalls are Basics. That's just me though.
I disagree. Why should you pass up Item Lock?

Pokemon 16
  • 4 Gengar EX
  • 3 Wobuffett
  • 2 Trevenant
  • 3 Phantump
  • 2 Aegislash EX
  • 2 Carbink
Trainers 35
  • 4 Professor Sycamore
  • 3 Professor Birch's Observations
  • 4 Brigette
  • 4 Lysandre
  • 2 Xerosic
  • 4 VS Seeker
  • 3 Ultra Ball
  • 3 Robo Substitute
  • 2 Super Rod
  • 2 Switch
  • 2 Head Ringer
  • 2 Float Stone
Energy 9
  • 3 Psychic Energy
  • 4 Mystery Energy
  • 2 Double Colorless Energy

Go easy on me! It's my first deck I've managed to slim down to 60 cards! The general idea behind the deck is pretty simple, disrupt the opponent, while keeping Gengar EX safe with hit and run attacks. Not really sure how else to elaborate here.

Get Gengar EX out, damage/poison opponents active, and swap into an appropriate counter - Wobuffett if the opponent is taking advantage of abilities, Trevenant to stop item usage (makes Gengar EX essentially a more powerful Toad), Aegislash EX to wall if they are using special energy, Carbink to wall if they are EX active, and Robo Substitute when no other option is available.

Sycamore and Birch for card draw, Brigette to find my appropriate counter, Lysandre to switch to a more favorable match up for what I may have on my bench to swap Gengar EX with, and Xerosic for more disruption.

VS Seeker is just powerful, Ultra Ball for more search, Super Rod to pull back anything I discard with Ultra Ball, Switch/Float Stone/Mystery Energy to help get Gengar back in, Head Ringer for more disruption, and DCE as Gengars attack is PCC.

Let me know what you guys think and what I could possibly do to improve! Thanks!

This list looks ok, but it worries me that you are playing such a high count of Special Energy. I get that you want free retreat, but Xerosic can did you of Special Energy. If Item Lock is down, good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've run a Trevenant-Gengar deck for a while and following are a few thoughts for your consideration:
  • Why no Dimension Valley?? This can actually reduce your P Pokemon attack energy requirements.
  • Opponents CAN/WILL use Lysandre to bypass any "wall" you might place Active. So, just remember your "wall" is only temporary.
  • IMO, Head Ringers are less effective given that many players will attach their own Tools (e.g., Spirit Link) and/or run Xerosic.
  • Why no N?
  • Why no Shaymin EX?
Following are some suggested deck changes for improvement, IMO, for your further consideration:

-1 Gengar EX - 3 should be sufficient
-1 Professor Birch's Observations - 2 should be sufficient
-2 Brigette - 2 should be sufficient
-2 Lysandre - 2 should be sufficient
-3 Robo Substitute - not really needed given other priorities; plus, after attacking with Dark Corridor, pressure needs to be maintained with eith Trevenant or Wobbuffet
-2 Head Ringer - not really needed given other priorities

+3 Dimension Valley - Stadium to help reduce energy requirements
+3 N - more card-draw support and opponent's hand disruption
+3 Trainer's Mail - helps to search for needed Trainer
+2 P - more Basic energy

I hope you find these comments helpful.

Thanks so much for all your suggestions! It sounds like I did a better initial job than I would have thought! Any other comments or suggestions are appreciated. I am tinkering with Proxy's so any suggestions previously made, or to come, I will add in the deck and play test, so the more input the better!!

When you do have a near-final list, please update your original post above with any revisions; so, you get further suggestions to your most current list. Have fun.

Idk dude i always run 3 sycamore and 2 N in all My lists, am i doing something wrong? I feel like i get all the draw i need from that

If you expect to play against Dark decks, you might consider incorporating a few Weakness Policy Tools.

Also, should you want to impose a T1 or T2 Trevenant Item-lock, consider incorporating some Wally too.

Back