• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Greninja BREAK

awesomeMSG

Just a guy who wants to master Greninja BREAK
Pokemon 17:
  • 3 Greninja BREAK
  • 4 Greninja (BREAKPoint)
  • 4 Fragadier
  • 3 Froakie
  • 3 Talonflame
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums 31:
  • 3 Professor Sycamore
  • 3 N
  • 1 Wally
  • 1 Pokemon Ranger
  • 1 Fisherman
  • 1 Lysandre
  • 1 Ace Trainer
  • 1 Delinquent
  • 1 Karen
  • 4 VS Seeker
  • 3 Trainer's Mail
  • 1 Ultra Ball
  • 1 Evosoda
  • 1 level ball
  • 3 Dive Ball
  • 3 Bursting Balloon
  • 1 Professor's Letter
  • 1 Energy Retrieval
  • 1 Parallel city
  • 2 Rough Seas
Energy 9:
  • 1 Splash Energy
  • 8 Water Energy

Last edited:

Expert_Occultist

Magic card player
I guess. I use a mix of Dive and Level Balls and it works fine for that. I'm not keen on discarding much in this deck because it all feels important at any given time

Starsoulklr

'Rolling around at the speed of sound'
You have many one-of Items and Stadiums So I think you should swap Ace Trainer out for Skyla. With N there isn't much reason to play Ace Trainer

Also if you're worried about mirror matches you want to just Shadow Stitch with Greninja no one can use any Water Shurikens while anyone is using that attack. You should have either add another Max Potion to endure longer instead of Delinquent. The Player who has the first volley of Shurikens will have the advantage in that match up and with Rough Seas you would have the advantage over a Bats Deck as they can't deal much damage by themselves.

awesomeMSG

I know the strategy of what to do against a mirror match. What I mean of is more techs for example. I was finally able to test against a mirror match, and with Delinquent, beat him. Ace Trainer I like in the deck for Night March that runs you over before you get set up. Ultra Ball is used for getting cards out of my hand that are unneeded (Examples. mirror match techs, Octillery line, Jirachi, etc.). Also, I have been testing Greninja for a long time (once scans were out) and have worked very hard on this list. So far I have played this deck in 7 tournaments. 6 of which were League Challenges and 1 was States.

awesomeMSG

I added Bursting Balloons instead of Muscle Bands for the mirror match and Trainer's Mail instead of Octillery for consistency.

Dark Espeon

Dark Avatar
Hi awesomeMSG,

In the revised list I would run more Dive Ball than Ultra Ball since there is no need to thin out your hand to benefit from Octillery because he is no longer used in this deck.

WastedSkyPirate

Ultra Ball is unnecessary in this deck as you're a) not running Shaymin-EX and b) not running Octillery (both decisions I agree with). I think you should increase your Dive Ball count to 4, remove all Ultra Balls and, instead, add X number of Level Balls and/or X number of Evo Soda. Level Ball is your only way of searching for a Jirachi, whilst Evo Soda can net you a Frogadier, Greninja or Greninja BREAK.

I think Battle Compressor and Bursting Balloon are inferior to other options, such as Trainers' Mail, Muscle Band and Sacred Ash. Sacred Ash is especially important in this deck (I've seen some top lists even running two), otherwise an early game Sycamore, discarding a chunk of frogs, can inadvertently make life very difficult for you.

I would take out Super Rod as it doesn't get back enough Pokemon and shuffling Energy into the deck is inconsequential; you play Fisherman and Energy Retrieval and you'd much rather have the Energy in your hand than in your deck.

I think Splash Energy is more of a burden than a benefit:
  1. You can't use it for Giant Water Shuriken as it doesn't count as Water Energy whilst in your hand.
  2. If you Moonlight Slash for 60 + 20, thus returning Splash Energy to your hand, you lose the benefits of Splash Energy.
  3. You're vulnerable to Special Energy hate, such as Jirachi and Enhanced Hammer.
  4. You can't search for it with Professor's Letter or recover it with Energy Retrieval or Fisherman.
I would remove Splash Energy to create some more space in your deck and replace it with one of the cards mentioned earlier or another Water Energy.

Finally, Froakie is your ideal stater - increase the count to 4.

Last edited:

awesomeMSG

This is what I came up with:

-2 Ultra Balls

+1 Dive Ball
+1 Level Ball

Final:
1 Ultra Ball
3 Dive Ball
1 Level Ball

I believe that Splash Energy holds a place in the deck as a 1 of. It helps me in lots of match-ups (including Mega Sceptile). On the other hand, I sometimes feel myself still discarding key pieces after the Splash Energy's effect with cards like Professor Sycamore. This is a card I would consider taking out, especially against Toad/Tina. The Ultra Ball/Dive Ball/Other Searches count I did think needed to be improved. What I was going to do was have 3/4 Dive Ball and 2/1 Ultra Ball, not thinking much about Evosoda and Level Ball. A fourth Froakie I don't think is necessary because the only other starter in this deck is Jirachi.

Edit:One question about Splash Energy, do you put the whole line of Greninja into your hand, or do you put the last evolution? For example, Greninja BREAK with a Splash Energy only bringing back the one Greninja BREAK or the whole line of frogs.

Last edited:

Sabaku

Aspiring Trainer
Ultra Ball is unnecessary in this deck as you're a) not running Shaymin-EX and b) not running Octillery (both decisions I agree with). I think you should increase your Dive Ball count to 4, remove all Ultra Balls and, instead, add X number of Level Balls and/or X number of Evo Soda. Level Ball is your only way of searching for a Jirachi, whilst Evo Soda can net you a Frogadier, Greninja or Greninja BREAK.

I think Battle Compressor and Bursting Balloon are inferior to other options, such as Trainers' Mail, Muscle Band and Sacred Ash. Sacred Ash is especially important in this deck (I've seen some top lists even running two), otherwise an early game Sycamore, discarding a chunk of frogs, can inadvertently make life very difficult for you.

I would take out Super Rod as it doesn't get back enough Pokemon and shuffling Energy into the deck is inconsequential; you play Fisherman and Energy Retrieval and you'd much rather have the Energy in your hand than in your deck.

I think Splash Energy is more of a burden than a benefit:
  1. You can't use it for Giant Water Shuriken as it doesn't count as Water Energy whilst in your hand.
  2. If you Moonlight Slash for 60 + 20, thus returning Splash Energy to your hand, you lose the benefits of Splash Energy.
  3. You're vulnerable to Special Energy hate, such as Jirachi and Enhanced Hammer.
  4. You can't search for it with Professor's Letter or recover it with Energy Retrieval or Fisherman.
I would remove Splash Energy to create some more space in your deck and replace it with one of the cards mentioned earlier or another Water Energy.

Finally, Froakie is your ideal stater - increase the count to 4.

Actually, WastedSkyPirate, Splash Energy is moreso for Frogadier. It's very easy for it to be KOed while it's setting up other Frogadiers, and Splash Energy gives it a chance to be saved and come back through a benched Froakie, giving you more potential Greninjas. It's also useful for when you're stuck using Shadow Stitching.

DaKareerKilla

Aspiring Trainer
Hey dude, been playing Greninja for a while, not as long as you mind, but I'm pretty happy with how the deck runs, for the most part. I do have a few questions/suggestions to make, however.

I play 7 Basics in my build. and I still find that I can get stuck mulliganing a few times before I have starter. I know N is in the format, which makes this less problematic in terms of giving your opponent extra resources, but I don't imagine opening N happens all that often in your build. I think running FF Dedenne can be really clutch in games where you open next to no Froakie.

I've tested running the one-of Greninja XY 41, and while being able to put the extra 30 damage on board can be useful, particularly if you have any BREAKs prized, I feel it's Breakpoint counterpart simply outclasses it 9 times out of 10.

Regarding the Ball discussion; 1 Ultra Ball, and 1 Level Ball seem fine, but I would still run the 4th Dive Ball. WastedSkyPirate also suggested running Sacred Ash over Super Rod, and I have actually tested two of the former, but found that in some situations I'd open with it and a Sycamore early game, resulting in not gaining anything from the card, whereas even being able to shuffle back in some Water Energy before a Sycamore can be beneficial. I ended up replacing them with two Super Rod, because sometimes you do need to recycle some of your Greninja lines.

I don't really see how you get enough value out of playing one Battle Compressor, let alone two, to me it's a waste of a VS Seeker, if that's all you're going for. I would rather Skyla into the Supporter I need, and wait a turn. Rare Candy is another one, especially considering you're not maxing out on Froakie, but even then, it doesn't seem necessary with Water Duplicates. AZ seems a bit strange, too, but I get what you're going for, I'm not sure I'd be able to find room for that one.

As for Mirror Match techs, I find Hex Maniac really good, as it makes you less reliant on using Stitching each turn, increasing your damage output. Trainer's Mail could be a good alternative to the Battle Compressors too.