Trevenant BREAK

gamercal

Spell card! Love Sign ~ Master Spark!
Yeah, I've been looking at changing things up with my Trev deck on PTCGO and I'm not feeling hammers in the slightest. Trying to put them in has harmed my consistency too much, especially since in all honesty you don't really want to have them in your opening draws. Especially if you're going first. I do need to try out a version with Weakness Policy and probably +1 Bursting Balloon (I tend to have 2 in my most consistent lists, which isn't really enough), cause I totally get how good the card is.

Also not completely sold on the BKP Trev, but I can see the potential of it if you go second and your opponent has already had plenty of time to get items out. It turns Night March into a two-energy attack, and if you play Head Ringer too makes EX's cry in pain. I think I saw one in the T4 list at UK Nats, so it has to have some potential at least... but I haven't played with it at all so I dunno.

One card I like that I don't really see very much in the deck is Absol. A single copy of that card can make a big difference if you can play it at the right time, and if you lead with it that's a single-energy retreat that isn't a Shaymin. I've been strongly disliking playing multiple Wobbuffett in this deck due to it nuking my own Shaymin (and therefore my consistency of the T1 Trev!), but Absol has stolen games for me on occasion.

Has anyone been trying Random Receiver in here? I can safely say that focusing on it over Battle Compressor is a very bad idea, but I added a couple of Receivers to my base list and it has been pretty great. Basically gives me more potential outs to getting that T1 Wally, which is really what it's all about. They'd probably be the first cards I'd cut to add Weakness Policy and/or Bursting Balloon though, cause I'd be struggling to find other cards I'd want to take out.

ToToLaw

Aspiring Trainer
i found weakness policy conflict with bursting balloon. Say your active Trevenant has a weakness policy attached, every bursting balloon you draw immediately becomes a dead card (you don't want to attach it to bench pokemon...) but with out waekness policy, this deck really lost to majority of dark deck.

Another issue is about float stone, it's value only lies on the scenario when i start with Shyamin ex, and i can't Az it because i need to save the supporter for Wally. So what is the optinum number of float stone, say i play 2 shaymin EX

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
What are the matchups for trevenant?

Night March - Favorable to very favorable. If you go first, hit the T1 Trevenant, and have nothing on your Bench to Lysandre, it's over. If they get a turn of items, the matchup depends on what they do with it. If they explode, your chances go down, but the matchup isn't unwinnable. N and Judge will help you stop them from spamming Sky Return and stalling you out.

Greninja - Similar to Night March, but slightly more annoying because of Rough Seas. Still quite favorable unless something atrocious happens.

Dark - Very unfavorable. There are no good Lysandre targets in Dark decks as they all either have low Retreat Costs or attacks that will OHKO you. Darkrai-EX also resists Psychic, making things worse. Bursting Balloon helps, but with your damage output as low as it is against that deck, they can afford to pass a turn. Your only hope of winning is to go first, hit the T1 Trevenant, and spam Silent Fear. Weakness Policy will turn all those OHKOs into 2HKOs but it's still not gonna go well for you though.

Vespiquen/Vileplume - Whoever gets their item lock up first wins.

Mega Manectric - Unfavorable. Rough Seas, high damage, Energy recycling, free Retreat... it's a mess. You have to hope that they drop a fatty down and gust them out before Mega Manectric can power them up. As if they even need to; Turbo Bolt OHKOs vanilla Trevenant and two Tree Slams plus recoil from Bursting Balloon isn't enough to KO a full-health Mega Manectric.

Trevenant BREAK - Even, but some techs can tilt the matchup one way or the other. Muscle Band allows you to 2HKO Trevenant BREAK, assuming you hit it before you get item locked. Team Flare Grunt and Xerosic can make Trevenant BREAK's already bad Energy problems worse.

Last edited:

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
i found weakness policy conflict with bursting balloon. Say your active Trevenant has a weakness policy attached, every bursting balloon you draw immediately becomes a dead card (you don't want to attach it to bench pokemon...) but with out waekness policy, this deck really lost to majority of dark deck.

Another issue is about float stone, it's value only lies on the scenario when i start with Shyamin ex, and i can't Az it because i need to save the supporter for Wally. So what is the optinum number of float stone, say i play 2 shaymin EX

There really isn't salvaging the Dark matchup. If you go second, you pretty much auto-lose. Weakness Policy will only prolong the inevitable.

Float Stone has value even if you don't start with Shaymin-EX. It should be attached to Shaymin the second you draw it, in the event it gets gusted out. Trevenant doesn't run many Energy, and the last thing you wanna do is waste one of your precious Energy retreating Shaymin when you can just do it for free.

Also, past turn 1, you can AZ up Shaymin all you like, just to remove him as a Lysandre target.

Gunther Spindler

Aspiring Trainer
I feel weird that a lot of people want to play a deck which can only assure its victory going first, because if it goes second against any of the top decks of the meta, if they setup as usually in T1, the match is pretty over. Seriously, what's the fun about winning before your opponent can play? Wally T1 should be forbidden.

Phoenix15

Playing Rogue Decks that Don't Do Well Since 2012
Um.... That is not really true.
1) the deck can still win going 2nd. it's actually easier to get trevenant that way
2) its not an auto loss to anything going 2nd
3) the match is not pretty much over after T1 wally. there are things called dead draws, weakness, one list being better than another...
4) the deck fun part of the deck is watching your opponent race the clock (with the deadline being all their pokemon KO'ed at once). it sounds evil, but its kind of fun actually
5) really? banning (or... excuse me... forbidding) wally?
that doesn't make sense. it isn't OP

prophecy250

Aspiring Trainer
i find going second isnt auto lose if youre running trev BKP. it really helps mess up atkers if they finish playing all their items and set up.

DowntownBulbasaurBrown

Aspiring Trainer
I have been testing the Mega Alakazam/Trevenant deck for a few days now and it's going very well. I am about 14/19 against Night March so that's a big benefit of playing the deck lol. I posted my list in a forum titled "Womping Willpower" if you wish to go check it out. Bottom line is that it is a very fun deck. The synergy between Mega Alakazam and Trevenant Break is phenomenal.

Jeebers 1337

Vulpix Trainer26
I have been looking for a good parted with trevenant break. The one I've been playing is trevenant with mega alakazam. It has been working really well, I went 3-0 at my league. Just wondering if anyone had any another ideas for it. Want to test them before nationals to find the best.

gumball51321

*thumbs up*
In my opinion, the variant with hammers is horible, and so is playing techs like Gengar. Here's why I say this:
Okay, so the problem with hammers is that it takes up too much space, as well as messes with the consistency, which is already a problem with it not being 100% of the time to get T1 Trev. And because it goes with this variant, I'll talk about BKP Trev. While I do like it as a hard-hitting backup attacker, it actually DOES mess up your consistency, since it doesn't have the item lock, and here's a particular situation where you can lose the game if you play it(And this is actually a pretty common one): Let's say you can get the T1 Trev, but here's what happens: You Ultra ball away a Trev, and get a Shaymin. You burn cards then use the Shaymin. You draw into your other item lock Trev and Wally. You use Wally, but noticed the third XY Trev is prized and stuck with the BKP one. Then your opponent is not item-locked. This situation can and does happen, as it has lost me my fair share of games when I didn't have my fourth XY Trev yet. Just stick to four, it's the best option.
And as for techs, such as Gengar, Aegislash, and I suppose Bats. I really don't see Bats with Trev, but it's not to say people don't try. While Gengar is a strong, heavy-hitter, it does take two energy IF you have Dimension Valley, and its damage output just isn't NEARLY as strong as Trev B, which has potential(I said potential, not necessarily certain output) to hit for 300 total damage output if it has a Bursting Balloon, and your opponent has Sky Field, and a full bench in play, as well as hits you. Whereas, Gengar, with the same circumstances, can hit for about 140 with poison. Plus, it's an EX with the same weakness, so it really doesn't solve anything.
With Aegislash and Bats, well, they're just WAY too klunky to get anything done. I do agree though with playing Weakness Policy, as it can help the worst matchup, but people do forget, that Bursting Balloon can very much so hurt an opponent, and possibly keeping them from attacking, so you can either, 1: get a free turn, or 2: take out an opponent with little to no effort after they take the KO. And as for techs, remember: there's always Wobbuffet, a cheap, easy attacker with its own corruption. And BTW, I didn't forget Alakazam, I just feel as though to talk about it more, it needs its own detailed comment, as well as more people mentioning it in the thread.

ToToLaw

Aspiring Trainer
In my opinion, the variant with hammers is horible, and so is playing techs like Gengar. Here's why I say this:
Okay, so the problem with hammers is that it takes up too much space, as well as messes with the consistency, which is already a problem with it not being 100% of the time to get T1 Trev. And because it goes with this variant, I'll talk about BKP Trev. While I do like it as a hard-hitting backup attacker, it actually DOES mess up your consistency, since it doesn't have the item lock, and here's a particular situation where you can lose the game if you play it(And this is actually a pretty common one): Let's say you can get the T1 Trev, but here's what happens: You Ultra ball away a Trev, and get a Shaymin. You burn cards then use the Shaymin. You draw into your other item lock Trev and Wally. You use Wally, but noticed the third XY Trev is prized and stuck with the BKP one. Then your opponent is not item-locked. This situation can and does happen, as it has lost me my fair share of games when I didn't have my fourth XY Trev yet. Just stick to four, it's the best option.
And as for techs, such as Gengar, Aegislash, and I suppose Bats. I really don't see Bats with Trev, but it's not to say people don't try. While Gengar is a strong, heavy-hitter, it does take two energy IF you have Dimension Valley, and its damage output just isn't NEARLY as strong as Trev B, which has potential(I said potential, not necessarily certain output) to hit for 300 total damage output if it has a Bursting Balloon, and your opponent has Sky Field, and a full bench in play, as well as hits you. Whereas, Gengar, with the same circumstances, can hit for about 140 with poison. Plus, it's an EX with the same weakness, so it really doesn't solve anything.
With Aegislash and Bats, well, they're just WAY too klunky to get anything done. I do agree though with playing Weakness Policy, as it can help the worst matchup, but people do forget, that Bursting Balloon can very much so hurt an opponent, and possibly keeping them from attacking, so you can either, 1: get a free turn, or 2: take out an opponent with little to no effort after they take the KO. And as for techs, remember: there's always Wobbuffet, a cheap, easy attacker with its own corruption. And BTW, I didn't forget Alakazam, I just feel as though to talk about it more, it needs its own detailed comment, as well as more people mentioning it in the thread.

good say my friend

from what i observe across the europe, straight trev yield the best result. no bat, no gengar, no aegislash, some even no wob. weakness policy has conflict with bursting balloon, and if you play one copy, how do you dig it out in dark deck match up? if you play more, it hurts consistency and gives more dead cards in other match up. team flare glunt and xerosic, or maybe a head ringer are enough to slow your opponent, hammers just take up too many spaces.

gamercal

Spell card! Love Sign ~ Master Spark!
I do kinda like the idea of Megazam, but I'm a bit worried about keeping things consistent. hat sort of line are you talking about here? I guess maybe a 2-2 line with 2 Spirit Links wouldn't hurt things too much, though I'd probably need to use more Mystery Energy incase I started Zam (I've been running DCE mostly because I don't play Wobbs due to it ruining T1 consistency, and DCE lets me both Sky Return and not need Dimension Valley to Tree Slam). I think that would be ok though. I'll try it out, see how it goes... cause not gonna lie, losing to any random noob deck that happens to lead Yveltal-EX is not fun!

DowntownBulbasaurBrown

Aspiring Trainer
I do kinda like the idea of Megazam, but I'm a bit worried about keeping things consistent. hat sort of line are you talking about here? I guess maybe a 2-2 line with 2 Spirit Links wouldn't hurt things too much, though I'd probably need to use more Mystery Energy incase I started Zam (I've been running DCE mostly because I don't play Wobbs due to it ruining T1 consistency, and DCE lets me both Sky Return and not need Dimension Valley to Tree Slam). I think that would be ok though. I'll try it out, see how it goes... cause not gonna lie, losing to any random newbie deck that happens to lead Yveltal-EX is not fun!

Yes, a 2-2 line with 2 Links is what I use and it's been working out for me. I run one AZ and one Float Stone to help with sticky situations with Shaymin. I do run one Wobboffett as well but it seems like he doesn't help as much as I would like but it's hard to take him out right now with certain decks out there like Greninja and Ariados which are both seeing significant play in my area.

gumball51321

*thumbs up*
Okay, since people are mentioning the Mega Alakazam, I'll talk about it now. The point of Trev is that you are a Bulky, Disruptive non-EX attacker. Wobbuffet is there not only for the attack, but for the Ability as well. And just as a bonus, it's a one prize trader as well. Like Gamercal said, it can hurt consistency, but in my opinion, it take the focus away from Trevenant, which ALREADY might I add, has a thick Pokemon lineup anyway. While it does hit hard, and it is semi-bulky, Alakazam just leaves too many openings for your opponent to be able to break the consistency that the deck needs to win. I'm refering to the fact you're using Trevenant, with the adjectives that I've listed above. And with Alakazam not Item-locking, being an EX, and being weak to Night March, Giratina, and the mirror, to me, it just hurts.
And now to talk about it from a bibliographical perspective. The lack of similar consistency, focus on the decks engine, as well as overflowing the Tool number, which everyone knows is too klunky, playing Kazam just takes the focus away from the Trevenant, and turns it more into an Alakazam deck. By the time you make a playable, full-fledged list for this deck, it's not even going to be Trevenant BREAK anymore. It's just going to be Alakazam paired with Trevenant B as a tech card.
Now to talk about competitive competition with the '' Alakazam/ Trevenant '' deck.
I have been using Mega Alakazam EX with my Trevenant Break. The synergy is obvious and effective. Without Alakazam, the only deck I've seen success against is Night March. With Alakazam, I stand a chance every game.
I have a question. How is Night March the only good matchup without Alakazam? I've done the testing, and dark is basically the only deck that beats Trees. And that is easily solved if you play Xerosic/ Flare Grunt( or both), Bursting Balloon, Head Ringer, Eco Arm, and/ or Weakness Policy. Darkrai/ Yveltal in Standard relies heavily on items, so that matchup's the easiest Dark matchup. YZG is also an easy matchup, since they should only be playing 2 Yveltal-EX, and 2 vShaymin-EX for the EXs, so everything else is a smaller HP Pokemon. the only REALLY hard Dark matchup is Zoroark/ Baby Yveltal, since they use high-ish HP non EX attackers that can hit hard for 1 Energy. But those are the only hard matchups for Trees.
good say my friend

from what i observe across the europe, straight trev yield the best result. no bat, no gengar, no aegislash, some even no wob. weakness policy has conflict with bursting balloon, and if you play one copy, how do you dig it out in dark deck match up? if you play more, it hurts consistency and gives more dead cards in other match up. team flare glunt and xerosic, or maybe a head ringer are enough to slow your opponent, hammers just take up too many spaces.
It's nice to see someone reading my long comments. :) But as for Weakness Policy, it's actually not all that hard. I played it as a 1-of, and since Trevenant stalls constantly, you'll eventually draw into it. Now, usually I would say that since it's only 1 matchup, and there's no certainty to it, I would usually say it isn't worth the space, but this is different. I can stall with Bursting Balloons, and Item-lock pools in too. While they're getting attacked for high amounts of spread damage, them not being able to use items, and the fact I can just use B.B, they would be hesitant to attack, so with the all around stalliness, and fairly decent draw power, the only problem I came across was space from the deck.

LightningCloud224

Aspiring Trainer
Mega Altaria seems to provide some serious hate to trevenant with the built in healing negating a lot of the spread damage. Also wonder energy negates silent fear. To say dark is the only counter is incorrect.

gumball51321

*thumbs up*
Mega Altaria seems to provide some serious hate to trevenant with the built in healing negating a lot of the spread damage. Also wonder energy negates silent fear. To say dark is the only counter is incorrect.
But has Altaria seen any competitive play? I can see it being used for anti-meta, and you caught me on something I didn't account for. So, good job on that. But that being said, Trevenant should still be a 50/50 matchup on account for Head Ringer and Xerosic, plus unless Altaria can get set up, it won't do much good. And I figured most people would play DCE, rather than Wonder Energy, but I still agree that Altaria can be an unfavorable matchup IF faced.

DowntownBulbasaurBrown

Aspiring Trainer
Okay, since people are mentioning the Mega Alakazam, I'll talk about it now. The point of Trev is that you are a Bulky, Disruptive non-EX attacker. Wobbuffet is there not only for the attack, but for the Ability as well. And just as a bonus, it's a one prize trader as well. Like Gamercal said, it can hurt consistency, but in my opinion, it take the focus away from Trevenant, which ALREADY might I add, has a thick Pokemon lineup anyway. While it does hit hard, and it is semi-bulky, Alakazam just leaves too many openings for your opponent to be able to break the consistency that the deck needs to win. I'm refering to the fact you're using Trevenant, with the adjectives that I've listed above. And with Alakazam not Item-locking, being an EX, and being weak to Night March, Giratina, and the mirror, to me, it just hurts.
And now to talk about it from a bibliographical perspective. The lack of similar consistency, focus on the decks engine, as well as overflowing the Tool number, which everyone knows is too klunky, playing Kazam just takes the focus away from the Trevenant, and turns it more into an Alakazam deck. By the time you make a playable, full-fledged list for this deck, it's not even going to be Trevenant BREAK anymore. It's just going to be Alakazam paired with Trevenant B as a tech card.
Now to talk about competitive competition with the '' Alakazam/ Trevenant '' deck.

I have a question. How is Night March the only good matchup without Alakazam? I've done the testing, and dark is basically the only deck that beats Trees. And that is easily solved if you play Xerosic/ Flare Grunt( or both), Bursting Balloon, Head Ringer, Eco Arm, and/ or Weakness Policy. Darkrai/ Yveltal in Standard relies heavily on items, so that matchup's the easiest Dark matchup. YZG is also an easy matchup, since they should only be playing 2 Yveltal-EX, and 2 vShaymin-EX for the EXs, so everything else is a smaller HP Pokemon. the only REALLY hard Dark matchup is Zoroark/ Baby Yveltal, since they use high-ish HP non EX attackers that can hit hard for 1 Energy. But those are the only hard matchups for Trees.

It's nice to see someone reading my long comments. :) But as for Weakness Policy, it's actually not all that hard. I played it as a 1-of, and since Trevenant stalls constantly, you'll eventually draw into it. Now, usually I would say that since it's only 1 matchup, and there's no certainty to it, I would usually say it isn't worth the space, but this is different. I can stall with Bursting Balloons, and Item-lock pools in too. While they're getting attacked for high amounts of spread damage, them not being able to use items, and the fact I can just use B.B, they would be hesitant to attack, so with the all around stalliness, and fairly decent draw power, the only problem I came across was space from the deck.
The question was "what other attackers could be paired with Trevenant?" That's why I suggested Alakazam. I wasn't questioning the strength of playing Trev alone. Both are fun decks.

LightningCloud224

Aspiring Trainer
But has Altaria seen any competitive play? I can see it being used for anti-meta, and you caught me on something I didn't account for. So, good job on that. But that being said, Trevenant should still be a 50/50 matchup on account for Head Ringer and Xerosic, plus unless Altaria can get set up, it won't do much good. And I figured most people would play DCE, rather than Wonder Energy, but I still agree that Altaria can be an unfavorable matchup IF faced.
Most variants I see don't actually play head ringer surprisingly. It may see competitive play given the right partner, such as xerneas or zoroark. That being said, altaria is a new card that may see some play if the meta player hates trevenant enough and wants an edge up on Yveltal too.