Yveltal-EX Variants

LightningCloud224

Aspiring Trainer
I ran an adjusted list this past weekend and did well, but mega manectric still took me out. I really couldn't feel too bad about it because I lost the coin flip and then had bad luck with prizes. My best chance would have been to try for a 1st or 2nd turn maxxie's -> gallade but I didn't think I had the hand for it.

This is the list I ran:

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

Pokémon - 18

2 Shaymin-EX ROS 106
1 Yveltal BKT 94
1 Yveltal GEN 116
2 Yveltal XY 78
2 Yveltal-EX PR-XY XY08
2 Zoroark BREAK BKT 92
3 Zorua BKT 89
3 Zoroark BKT 91
1 Gallade BKT 84
1 Seismitoad-EX FFI 20

Trainer Cards - 30

1 Lysandre FLF 90
1 Acro Bike PRC 122
1 Startling Megaphone FLF 97
4 Battle Compressor Team Flare Gear PHF 92
2 Fighting Fury Belt BKP 99
1 Reverse Valley BKP 110
1 Shadow Circle
2 N FAC 105
1 Hex Maniac AOR 75
1 Maxie's Hidden Ball Trick PRC 133
1 Float Stone BKT 137
4 Ultra Ball ROS 93
4 Professor Sycamore XY 122
2 Muscle Band XY 121
4 VS Seeker PHF 109

Energy - 12

8 Darkness Energy GEN 81
4 Double Colorless Energy NXD 92

Total Cards - 60

3-3-2 Zoroark seems much better than 3-2-2 which seems better than 2-2-2, which seems better than 2-2-1. The seismitoad doesn't really seem to work well for me; I always feel like unless I can drop it t1 they already have played out enough to make it not worthwhile. I don't normally run the Shadow Circle stadium, (don't use it on PTCGO) but I ran it to help with the mega man matchup. It helped for a turn but I find that stadiums that do stuff during your opponents turn are usually worthless (your opponent can just play a stadium to negate it), while ones that are effective during your turn end up being more useful. Startling megaphone is usually very helpful unless you start with it (another maxxie's block if you do...)

I know it seems like I run a lot of energy, but 11 seems light when I play online I will get stuck with no dark energy when I need it, but at 12 I have a harder time playing out maxxie's (2 energy in hand). I just recently got a couple of Darkrai EX BKP to try out, but I think next week I may run something different.

I wonder where things are going if a version that more consistently gets out Gallade would be better... I've seen lists that run 2 maxxie's and 2 gallade, but 4 cards seems like a lot. Yveltal BKP is also quite good, but then you either run 1 and never see it or if you run 2 then its harder to start with Yveltal XY. Somebody suggested I run AZ for shaymin-ex or to deny prize cards, but its another supporter that isn't great to start off with. In my meta hex maniac seems worthless but on PTCGO it seems necessary.

Thanks for the comments guys, I may try a 4-4-2 zoroark online and see how that does, the 2 Break are a little too much for the 3-3 line, but it can be so beastly when it works. On the same end there will be a resurgence of fight type decks and trying to build Zoroark or leaving one up on the board to get one shot after is tough (3-4 cards lost likely including a DCE). I have found that the acro bike is good, but I do sometimes run low on cards in longer matches (some if it is from over-sycamoring or battle compressing chaff). Trainer's mail is tough for me to run because I am more stranded when item locked and I've whiffed on it enough times to not like it in this deck. N is good but there are times when I wish I could judge (such as earlier in the game or vs certain decks that build their hand). N did me well when I was behind in the mega man game but not well enough to get me back into that game (he was pretty lucky, had gone first, and I was stuck with lightning weakness pokemon). The rest of the time I was helping my opponent as much as myself...
This post belongs in the deck garage I think. I will be interested in the thread.

Roy_Kamikaze

Aspiring Trainer
Guys, I'm pretty new to the game, and want to build this deck, as I like Yveltal a lot. But I'm having a hard time trying to understand how this deck works. Could someone explain me a bit?

Thanks in advance.

tehsquirrel

Aspiring Trainer
@Roy - The deck wants to start yveltal XY in the active spot and use battle compressor/ultra ball to get maxxie's hidden ball trick, gallade, and a dark energy or two into the discard pile. Use oblivion wing to attach the energy to your preferred attacker you want to setup (Yveltal-EX). Attach another energy to Yveltal-EX and you can evil ball; or setup a Zoroark for mind jack. Use zoroark's stand in + float stone to switch attackers or clear special conditions. Lysandre support pokemon or prize bags. Drop your hand and vs seeker the maxxie's if you need gallade or just take advantage of evil ball, foul play, and mind jack. Yveltal BKP helps and can pick up 3 prizes in 2 attacks more often than you would think.

LightningCloud224

Aspiring Trainer
The thing I really enjoy about this deck, when I play it, is that it's members work as a team to keep the opponent in check. Zoroark has mobility with float stone, Yveltal can build energy or negate tools, Yveltal ex can punish low damage output of high energy cost, gallade can help you be more in sync with your deck and OHKO Lightning EXs, and low hp Pokemon. All of its members can do something, even shaymin can be useful if you need to conserve a DCE.

Mao999

Aspiring Trainer
After following this conversation for a while, i've decided to play this deck as well, and i think it's the most versatile deck that i've ever played!
I have the response for almost everything in the current meta, and i've put a tech line in the pokèmon count:
i play 1x Hoopa ex, 1x Seismitoad ex and i was thinking of 1x Aegislash ex.
What do you think?
I've decided to include seismitoad because in my area Flareon have big play!

LightningCloud224

Aspiring Trainer
After following this conversation for a while, i've decided to play this deck as well, and i think it's the most versatile deck that i've ever played!
I have the response for almost everything in the current meta, and i've put a tech line in the pokèmon count:
i play 1x Hoopa ex, 1x Seismitoad ex and i was thinking of 1x Aegislash ex.
What do you think?
I've decided to include seismitoad because in my area Flareon have big play!
Hoopa-ex and aegislash are liability against fire. As a fire-main player mostly, toad is not really that effective on fire decks most of the time. If your meta is big on fire, I think you should include zoroark break in your list, and if your meta is EX heavy then play a fighting deck with carbink to take advantage of scorched earth.

tehsquirrel

Aspiring Trainer
I tried aegislash-EX but the problem was that it is easily played around (hex maniac, lysandre, wobbuffet, etc) and that you end up putting a lot of resources into it in order to do minimal damage. It can be good against night march or vespiquen if the players are less experienced, but most players will plan for it (especially after seeing you have metal types).

I considered hoopa EX, but the deck has trouble with bench space once you drop 1-2 shaymin, build a zoroark, and possibly house the yveltal you hopefully start. I like to bench yveltal BKP if I get it in a relevant matchup (they have a benched EX or use a lot of FFB).

Seismitoad EX is hit or miss, but out of the 15-20 games I've run it I've only had it be meaningful in one of those games, and only for a few turns. I wished I had instead attached the DCE to Yveltal-EX after those few turns, but I thought the disruption was enough for me to get a lead and take it away.

LightningCloud224

Aspiring Trainer
Quad zoroark is a different deck. I think however it will be the future of Yveltal ex since battle compressor is an expected rotation.

Kneiss

Aspiring Trainer
This deck list seems a little outdated and new yveltal decks are definitely tier 2 if not tier 1. I just got back into the tcg meta after taking last season off and I built a yveltal deck from scratch with the deck focusing on yveltal and zoroark. Just building straight dark is a lot better with the use of max elixers, reverse valley, and 1 darkrai. It's going to suck loosing muscle bands for fighting fury belts, but with reverse valley you can make up the difference in damage and darkrai is a great tech for late game. This deck list needs a major overhaul or you need to have two yveltal deck lists again.

Last edited:

Gabking5458

2016 MA TCG Senior Division Regional Champion!
This deck list seems a little outdated and new yveltal decks are definitely tier 2 if not tier 1. I just got back into the tcg meta after taking last season off and I built a yveltal deck from scratch with the deck focusing on yveltal and zoroark. Just building straight dark is a lot better with the use of max elixers, reverse valley, and 1 darkrai. It's going to suck loosing muscle bands for fighting fury belts, but with reverse valley you can make up the difference in damage and darkrai is a great tech for late game. This deck list needs a major overhaul or you need to have two yveltal deck lists again.
Definetly not. I think Tier 3 is a perfect place for this deck. It loses to the BDIF Night March. and doesn't have good enough other matchups to constituents it being Tier 1. I do however still believe it is viable in a more quad zoroark approach.

Kneiss

Aspiring Trainer
Definetly not. I think Tier 3 is a perfect place for this deck. It loses to the BDIF Night March. and doesn't have good enough other matchups to constituents it being Tier 1. I do however still believe it is viable in a more quad zoroark approach.
This deck list, yes. This is definitely only a tier 3/not even meta. I'm saying a bunch of players have been playing a new yveltal list that's straight dark and takes a bit from the darkrai list and drops the whole gallade Maxie's hidden ball idea and have been winning league challenges and has multiple spots on top 5. I'm saying this deck list should just be abandoned and have yveltal, zoroark, both baby yveltals, and darkrai while utilizing more of the darkrai meta item list from this site. None of us planned to have the same deck, but it came first one day (I wasn't there but friend that plays night match was and came 2nd) and 2nd and 4th and 5th the second league challenge (I was the 4th place and person that won first event was 2nd). It's much more consistent than the deck listed above and plays like yveltal from 2 seasons ago. It's also set up for post rotation where the only thing we're gonna have to switch out are muscle bands for belts.

Gabking5458

This deck list, yes. This is definitely only a tier 3/not even meta. I'm saying a bunch of players have been playing a new yveltal list that's straight dark and takes a bit from the darkrai list and drops the whole gallade Maxie's hidden ball idea and have been winning league challenges and has multiple spots on top 5. I'm saying this deck list should just be abandoned and have yveltal, zoroark, both baby yveltals, and darkrai while utilizing more of the darkrai meta item list from this site. None of us planned to have the same deck, but it came first one day (I wasn't there but friend that plays night match was and came 2nd) and 2nd and 4th and 5th the second league challenge (I was the 4th place and person that won first event was 2nd). It's much more consistent than the deck listed above and plays like yveltal from 2 seasons ago. It's also set up for post rotation where the only thing we're gonna have to switch out are muscle bands for belts.
Yes, that is the best way to run it ATM. I definitely agree with this I thought you meant this list was how it should be run. I would still be wary of Night March though. I can't imagine Night March being a good matchup and that you should tech for it. I still do not think they are Tier 1 because Dark has dreadful Night March and Waterbox (Unless heavy Yveltal-EX counts) matchups.

Kneiss

Aspiring Trainer
I got you now. Those both are very tough match ups, but winnable. The reason I was saying possibly tier 1 is because the new yveltal build remains the same and is set up this way for rotation, while night match and toad will be gone after rotation. A lot of people will probably jump on the yveltal bandwagon after worlds again because of this so some people will probably start playing riachu to counter yveltal after worlds. As of right now the new yveltal build is definitely a tier 2 deck and if you can fit zoroark break in the build giritina decks just get utterly destroyed.

amberlink

Aspiring Trainer

What would a Quad Zoroark version look like even?

LightningCloud224

Aspiring Trainer
What would a Quad Zoroark version look like even?
Azul Garcia griego's states winning list comes to mind as an early version of quad Zoroark. That list carried 4-4-2 zoroark break, 4 yveltal, 1 Yveltal ex. I think only 1 or 2 were fright night since it was an energy budget deck so he could stream attackers easily. The primary deck engine was 4 sycamore, 1 battle compressor with utility supporters, 2 shaymin ex, 1 AZ, 1 super rod, 2 Lysandre, and 2 target whistle.

I also know later he used XY Zorua in his list so he could muscled banded scratch for 30 or more to keep up with night March and apply early pressure to phantump, joltik, pumpkaboo and other small threats. Reverse valley would also allow a combee knockout.

The quad zoroark is an emerging version of Yveltal ex. The Yveltal ex count could increase once night March and mega manectric rotate into expanded.

Last edited:

Gabking5458

Azul Garcia griego's states winning list comes to mind as an early version of quad Zoroark. That list carried 4-4-2 zoroark break, 4 yveltal, 1 Yveltal ex. I think only 1 or 2 were fright night since it was an energy budget deck so he could stream attackers easily. The primary deck engine was 4 sycamore, 1 battle compressor with utility supporters, 2 shaymin ex, 1 AZ, 1 super rod, 2 Lysandre, and 2 target whistle.

I also know later he used XY Zorua in his list so he could muscled banded scratch for 30 or more to keep up with night March and apply early pressure to phantump, joltik, pumpkaboo and other small threats. Reverse valley would also allow a combee knockout.

The quad zoroark is an emerging version of Yveltal ex. The Yveltal ex count could increase once night March and mega manectric rotate into expanded.
As Lightcloud stated here (well might I add) a Quad Zoroark Deck basically is a loose term now for a Dark based deck that runs a 4-4 line of Zoroark and favors non-EX attackers such ad Yveltal XY and Yveltal BKT

TuxedoBlack

Old School Player
I am finding that Darkrai-Zoroark-Yveltal (DZY) is quite competitive now. IMO, this deck offers a variety of attack options which you can use in different situations/match-ups. Unfortunately though, not hitting the Max Elixir can set you back early game a bit; but when you do hit the MEs early game, your odds of winning increases significantly.

My core Pokémon consists of 2 Darkrai EX, 2 Zorua (Moonlight Madness), 2 Zoroark, 1 Zoroark BREAK (amazing), 2 Yveltal (GEN), 1 Yveltal (BKT) and 2 Yveltal EX. Even post-rotation, only 2 cards will need to be replaced, my AZ and Xerosic, which will be easy changes. The deck will remain viable and quite potent, IMO. Which Tier? I don't know yet how popular it will be, but I expect it to be a strong contender.