Discussion Hand Size: Finding a Sweet Spot in the New Format

Danglesmcjangles

Spice Master General
With Fates collides becoming legal and thus seeing more play on PTCGO and elsewhere, I'm beginning to notice an increasing trend. More and more people are playing down cards because of the potential threat of N. It is often considered a wise move, Ultra ball away useless cards and save the resources you want in case you get N'd.

This derives from years of experience playing in a format where N was prevalent. But one thing has changed, delinquent is now part of the supporter pool. It is a very interesting relationship between N and Delinquent because they are both a threat, but they need to be prepared for in the complete opposite way. So if I'm sitting with a hand of 6 cards and 3 are useful and 3 aren't, I can either ditch the useless ones and open up to getting put down to no cards but improve my outs to an N, or I can be safe from delinquent and preyed upon by N.

At this point in time, I would say it is more advantageous to prepare for an N, because delinquent is not too prevalent, but this opens the door for delinquent to be an extremely effective inclusion. I'd go as far as to say that because of its complimentary disruption to N, as well as the growing importance of stadiums, it can be a legitimate inclusion in almost every deck.

I'd love to hear some discourse! Can delinquent become a staple?

It should be. Delinquent is a game ender.

Delinquent is often not the most Popular choice for an added Supporter as usually Hex maniac or Xerosic are better choices. Delinquent is often reserved for decks with low stadium counts or most often Mill decks. As mill is not very popular its safe to say that getting delinquent-ed to 0 after N'ing yourself to 3 is not gonna happen to much. Regardless of whether it happens or not Delinquent is often best used when your opponent is not set up enough on the board so calling it a game ender is a bit of an exaggeration.

Guys, don't you know that size doesn't matter?

Kidding of course.

I have become wary of delinquent when playing, and have been making sure I have a hand of 4 or larger if I can.

I would have said more but I dislike posting on my phone.

Delinquent is not an automatic game-winner on its own but forcing your opponent's hand to zero can be devastating at any point in the game, although yes, it will obviously be more effective if your opponent isn't set up yet or lacks Octillery.

With N back in the format, I wouldn't think it would be too far out there to expect a slight increase in Delinquent. There is no deck that absolutely relies on having Stadium control (with the exception of perhaps Trevenant and, more probably, Night March), so I think that certain decks could afford the spot.

I have already been capitalizing on this trend in my entei charizard deck, with devastating results, for several months. This has worked in tournament setting when playing exceptional players.

Del is a very scary threat most players haven't had to deal with yet. Nationals will be a huge awakening.

I have already been capitalizing on this trend in my entei charizard deck, with devastating results, for several months. This has worked in tournament setting when playing exceptional players.
I've found Delinquent + JirachiXY67 to be devastating to Night March in standard if their hand is 3 cards or less.

I think delinquent could definitely become much more prominent. It forces people to choose to keep a high hand and risk getting dead draws off of N, or getting their hand destroyed by a delinquent. If you have both in your discard, vs. seeker punishes both plays.

Back