• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Flame Storm (Delphox BREAK / Shaymin EX)

Dark Espeon

Dark Avatar
FLAME STORM
250px-655Delphox.png

Pokémon (16):
  • 3 Delphox BREAK (beatdown)
  • 2 Delphox XY10 (beatdown)
  • 2 Delphox XY1 (beatdown)
  • 2 Braixen XY10 (evolve)
  • 4 Fenniken (evolution)
  • 1 Shaymin EX (draw)
  • 2 Entei (beatdown)
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums (32):
  • 3 Professor Sycamore (draw)
  • 2 Blacksmith (accelerate)
  • 1 Lysandre (control)
  • 1 Bridgette (search)
  • 3 N (draw)
  • 2 Battle Compressor (control)
  • 4 Rare Candy (evolution)
  • 3 Trainer's Mail (search)
  • 2 Super Rod (retrieval)
  • 4 Vs Seeker (retrieve)
  • 4 Ultra Ball (search)
  • 3 Scorched Earth (draw)

Energy (12):
  • 12 Fire Energy

STRATEGY:

Go first and start with either Fenniken or Entei non-AT. Use Battle Compressor to discard Bridgette and either another useful supporter or Fire Energy. Bench some Fenniken with Bridgette and search for Rare Candies. Next turn evolve a benched Delphox into Delphox XY1. Use Shaymin Ex and Scorched Earth to draw additional cards to set up faster. Evolve another Fenniken into Braixen or Delphox XY10. Accelerate with Blacksmith and start to attack. Entei non-AT is used to have a less resource intensive attacker to handle faster decks that also tend to fill their bench.

Last edited:

TuxedoBlack

Old School Player
Nice list.

Following are a few comments for your consideration:

• +1 Delphox (Mystical Fire) (-1 Delphox (Psycho Storm)) to help ensure you have access to card-draw support.
  • +1 Level Ball (-1 Ultra Ball) in order to easily get another Fennekin benched (without paying the 2 card cost like Ultra Ball).
  • +2 Judge (-2 N) and at least 1 Delinquent (-1 Trainer's Mail) for opponent's hand disruption. The crazy card-draw power you have is significant and can be used to make a impact on your opponents.
  • +1 AZ (-1?) would help to recover (and possibly reuse) benched Shaymin EX which can become a HUGE liability near/at game's end.
  • +1 Professor's Letter/Energy Retrieval (-1 Rare Candy; with 2 Braixen, 3 should be sufficient, IMO) helps to search and get needed R energy.
I hope you find these comments helpful.

Dark Espeon

Dark Avatar
Nice list.

Following are a few comments for your consideration:

• +1 Delphox (Mystical Fire) (-1 Delphox (Psycho Storm)) to help ensure you have access to card-draw support.
  • +1 Level Ball (-1 Ultra Ball) in order to easily get another Fennekin benched (without paying the 2 card cost like Ultra Ball).
  • +2 Judge (-2 N) and at least 1 Delinquent (-1 Trainer's Mail) for opponent's hand disruption. The crazy card-draw power you have is significant and can be used to make a impact on your opponents.
  • +1 AZ (-1?) would help to recover (and possibly reuse) benched Shaymin EX which can become a HUGE liability near/at game's end.
  • +1 Professor's Letter/Energy Retrieval (-1 Rare Candy; with 2 Braixen, 3 should be sufficient, IMO) helps to search and get needed R energy.
I hope you find these comments helpful.

Hi TuxedoBlack,

Thanks for the review. Not sure on Delphox XY1 instead of the new version since the latter one is the main attacker of this deck. Considered to run Judge over N but still unsure about it. It provides more disruption early in the game but less disruption later on. What were your thoughts regarding this modification? Not sure about cutting Ultra Ball since he can get me Delphox and the deck runs Bridgette in combination with Battle Compressor and Vs Seeker to get the basics out faster. In general I would be interested to make the deck faster and increase the standing power of Delphox a little. At present that is the main pupose of Delphox Break but I also considered Assault Vest but was unable to fit them into the deck without compromising the speed and consistency of the deck.

Hi PatriciaWagon22,

Octillery is not needed in the deck since you can use a single copy of Delphox from XY1 instead. I would run two more basic non-Ex attackers instead of Shaymin Ex if you want a less cost intensive version. However, in the long run, I would invest in two Shaymin Ex since it can be used in almost all decks.

Hi LightningCloud224,

Thanks for the review. Not sold on Moltres too but I wanted a non-Ex attacker with low retreat cost and a manageable attack cost. In terms of Pokémon Ex Flareon Ex and Lugia Ex have been taken into consideration but I am not sold on either of them too. Is there any useful non-Ex attacker that is easy to power up and has low retreat cost that could work in this deck?

TuxedoBlack

Old School Player
Hi TuxedoBlack,
Thanks for the review. Not sure on Delphox XY1 instead of the new version since the latter one is the main attacker of this deck.
The thought behind this was to take advantage of the proposed deck's inherent card-draw power while disrupting your opponent's hand. You may find that the 1 Delphox (XY) may suit your needs, but should this 1-of is prized, then you will not have consistent, supplemental card-draw without it. The suggested extra 1 was to reduce risk of not having this source of supplemental card-draw.

Hi TuxedoBlack,
Considered to run Judge over N but still unsure about it. It provides more disruption early in the game but less disruption later on. What were your thoughts regarding this modification?
I like running 1 Judge in my decks to address certain situations. For example, at the beginning of a game, assuming I have both an N and a Judge in hand, and I'm going first, upon recognizing the deck my opponent is playing and board position, playing a Judge could be more disruptive to my opponent. In this situation, 2 net cards will be removed from his/her hand (assume opponent only has an active Pokémon in play); so, playing judge at times vs. an N can be helpful. Other times could be when I'm up in prizes and my opponent has a "large" hand or has rearranged his/her deck with Premonition.

Hi TuxedoBlack,
Not sure about cutting Ultra Ball since he can get me Delphox and the deck runs Bridgette in combination with Battle Compressor and Vs Seeker to get the basics out faster.
Should you not draw into the Brigette or get more than 1 Feenekin benched, your opponent has the opportunity to set you further behind if that 1 Fennekin is KOd. I find that a mix of both Level and Ultra Balls both help to improve my setup consistency in my Stage 2 decks. I've also found that 3 Trainer's Mail, 1 Brigette, 2+ Level Ball, and 3+ Ultra Ball work well together. (Note: this list varies by deck type; e.g., in my Garchomp deck fewer Ultra Ball are run due to utilization of Korrina). With both Scorched Earth and Delphox providing supplemental card-draw support, your present resources may be quite sufficient. I suspect testing will best help you refine your final card and count choices.

WastedSkyPirate

I think @LightningCloud224 makes a fantastic suggestion.

As soon as your opponent sees that you are playing Delphox, they will be cautious in deploying Energy. Delphox-EX takes full advantage of their caution with its second attack. Futhermore, if you do decide to play Delphox-EX, perhaps consider Psychic's Third Eye - you get to scout their hand and dump Fire Energy in the Discard for Blacksmith later on.

All that being said, a more reliable non-EX attacker, such as Entei, is probably the better option!

Dark Espeon

Dark Avatar
Hi TuxedoBlack,

The thought behind this was to take advantage of the proposed deck's inherent card-draw power while disrupting your opponent's hand. You may find that the 1 Delphox (XY) may suit your needs, but should this 1-of is prized, then you will not have consistent, supplemental card-draw without it. The suggested extra 1 was to reduce risk of not having this source of supplemental card-draw.

I like running 1 Judge in my decks to address certain situations. For example, at the beginning of a game, assuming I have both an N and a Judge in hand, and I'm going first, upon recognizing the deck my opponent is playing and board position, playing a Judge could be more disruptive to my opponent. In this situation, 2 net cards will be removed from his/her hand (assume opponent only has an active Pokémon in play); so, playing judge at times vs. an N can be helpful. Other times could be when I'm up in prizes and my opponent has a "large" hand or has rearranged his/her deck with Premonition.

Thanks for the more detailed explanation. I like the idea to run one or two Judge instead of one or two N since the deck could use some disription early in the game. Still not sold on the second Delphox XY1 since Delphox XY10 is the main attacker and two copies of the main attacker seem to be insufficient. I would rather use more alternate draw engines than running the risk to run out of attackers.

Should you not draw into the Brigette or get more than 1 Feenekin benched, your opponent has the opportunity to set you further behind if that 1 Fennekin is KOd. I find that a mix of both Level and Ultra Balls both help to improve my setup consistency in my Stage 2 decks. I've also found that 3 Trainer's Mail, 1 Brigette, 2+ Level Ball, and 3+ Ultra Ball work well together. (Note: this list varies by deck type; e.g., in my Garchomp deck fewer Ultra Ball are run due to utilization of Korrina). With both Scorched Earth and Delphox providing supplemental card-draw support, your present resources may be quite sufficient. I suspect testing will best help you refine your final card and count choices.

I see the reason behind it but still not entirely sure since the deck needs to get out Delphox XY10 fast. He is the main attacker in this deck and needs to be replaced in time. Will have to test out the modified balls engine.

Hi WastedSkyPirate,

Thanks for the review. I do see the rationale behind Delphox Ex but I want the deck to focus on non-Ex Pokémon as much as possible. I am not scared if the opponent restists the urge to attach energies on her/his own Pokémon since this slows them down too and the deck has a decent acceleration engine on its own. At the moment I am considering either Entei non-AT instead of Moltres. He has a higher retreat cost but a much better attack. Alternatively a third Shaymin Ex would be an option to enable the deck to loop Shaymin Ex until Delphox XY10 is set up. What are your thoughts on these alternatives.

Hi xaej806,

Thanks for the review. At the moment Entei non-AT is in consideration. Still not entire sure and need to test it out.

xaej806

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
Regarding TuxedoBlack's suggesting on the 2/2 split of the Delphox's, I tend to agree with him. I understand what you're saying about the Fates Collide Delphox being the main attacker, but Delphox XY has a pretty solid attack in his own right, and you should feel confident swinging with him when you need to, in my opinion.

Also having an extra attacker, whether its Entei, Moltres, or whoever, it puts less reliance on your "main attacker".

Another decent idea for a non-EX attacker is Miltank.

Dark Espeon

Dark Avatar
Hi xaej806,

Thanks for the review. Will need to check out the even split but still unsure. Miltank sounds like a decent option. Will be sure to check him out.

WastedSkyPirate

@Dark Espeon

Seismitoad and Giratina give this deck (and Fire decks in general) problems. Collectively they hit for weakness, lock you out of items (notably Rare Candy) and prevent you from playing DCE and Scorched Earth. If you know your local area packs lots of Seismitoad and Giratina, consider the inclusion of Marowak FCL - a 1-1 line would likely suffice and can be discarded with Battle Compressor if not required.

Also, a note on Miltank - Powerful Friends specifically requires a Stage 2 on your side of the field to hit for 80. It will only hit for 10 if you evolve your Stage 2 into a BREAK.

Last edited:

Dark Espeon

Dark Avatar
Seismitoad and Giratina give this deck (and Fire decks in general) problems. Collectively they hit for weakness, lock you out of items (notably Rare Candy) and prevent you from playing DCE and Scorched Earth. If you know your local area packs lots of Seismitoad and Giratina, consider the inclusion of Marowak FCL - a 1-1 line would likely suffice and can be discarded with Battle Compressor if not required.

Also, a note on Miltank - Powerful Friends specifically required a Stage 2 on your side of the field to hit for 80. It will only hit for 10 if you evolve your Stage 2 into a BREAK.

Hi WastedSkyPirate,

Seismitoad and Giratina are not that common around here. The meta revolves more around non-Ex decks and lock deck tend to favor either Vileplume or Trevenant Break since both are faster and more controlish. I am aware of Miltank but he nevertheless could be a decent attacker in addition to Delphox due to his low attack cost. At least he could buy the deck a turn to set up.

Scubasage

Aspiring Trainer
I'm gonna jump in to agree with the others about the 2-2 split on Delphoxes.

I get that Delphox XY10 is considered your main attacker, but Delphox XY1 is better early on, when there's less energy on the field in general. It doesn't care about the opponent's energy, and assuming 3 energy on Delphox, Xy1 out damages XY10 until there's another 3 energy on the field somewhere. On top of that, Delphox XY1 will help set up with it's ability.

Dark Espeon

Dark Avatar
Hi folks,

Decided to check out the even split on Delphox to see if the increased draw abilities allows me to recover knocked out Delphoxes in time. Also took out a delphox Break for another Bridgette to ensure the deck can fill the bench with Fenniken turn one. Still testing the assistance attacker to decide between Moltres, Entei and Flareon Ex. I am considering to remove Double Colorless in favor of more basic energies due to the revised attacker line.

Wobawoba21

Aspiring Trainer
I've been running a similar deck but with 2 float stone im curious of how it works without it is it really needed I figured maybe not because you can retreat than blacksmith , feedback appreciated

Dark Espeon

Dark Avatar
I've been running a similar deck but with 2 float stone im curious of how it works without it is it really needed I figured maybe not because you can retreat than blacksmith , feedback appreciated

Hi Wobawoba21,

The reteat cost was the main reason for Moltres over better options. He and Shaymin Ex can reteat for one colorless which is not much at all.

LightningCloud224

Aspiring Trainer
I think @LightningCloud224 makes a fantastic suggestion.

As soon as your opponent sees that you are playing Delphox, they will be cautious in deploying Energy. Delphox-EX takes full advantage of their caution with its second attack. Futhermore, if you do decide to play Delphox-EX, perhaps consider Psychic's Third Eye - you get to scout their hand and dump Fire Energy in the Discard for Blacksmith later on.

All that being said, a more reliable non-EX attacker, such as Entei, is probably the better option!
I think entei is so good that it shapes your deck into what you didn't intend. I really recommend Delphox EX for the mind games as the partner.