• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Kingdra Ex with Magnezone

ColdFrost

Aria
Hello, i'm trying to make a deck with Kingdra Ex and I need some advice. So far I'm thinking about using the following cards:
Pokemon:
  • 3x Kingdra Ex
  • 2x Magnemite
  • 2x Magneton
  • 2x Magnezone
  • 1x Remoraid
  • 1x Octillery
  • 1x Raikou
  • 1x Regice
Supporters:
  • 2x Lysandre
  • 3x Professor Sycamore
  • 2x Shauna
  • 1x Wally
  • 1x Pokemon Center Lady
  • 2x N
  • 1x Skyla
  • 3x Vs Seeker
  • 1 Evosoda
  • 1x Escape Rope
  • 4x Ultra Ball
  • 2x Level Ball
  • 2x Trainer's Mail
  • 1x Professor's Letter
  • 2x Max Elixir
  • 2x Fighting Fury Belt
  • 1x Hard Charm
  • 1x Float Stone
  • 2x Acro Bike
Energy:
  • 8x Lightning Energy
  • 5x Water Energy

The basic strategy of this deck is to have magnezone use its ability to throw on as many Lightning energies on Kingdra as needed. Remoraid and Octillery are there for the draw power and the cost efficiency of not using Shaymin. I threw in Raikou because of it's nice ability and that it's a electric type. Regice is there for blocking out other Ex pokemon. The supports and items are pretty self explanatory. I don't really know if there would be a good stadium to use in this deck :/. I also don't know if Manaphy would be good or not along with Max Elixir. Any advice would be really helpful! Thanks! C:

I would love to know how this deck works out for you. From what I see, the main exclusions I would consider adding are Fisherman (this is super helpful when you have a Magnezone set up and you want to power up another Kingdra right after a KO) and rare candy (I know item lock is a thing but getting a turn 2 Magnezone makes this deck viable in my opinion). I also think you can probably cut a water energy but that is up to you. The max elixirs might not be necessary if you focus on making the Magnezone more streamlined. Those are just some of my ideas, take them or leave them.

I definitely like the 2 Lysandre. PCL and Wally might not be as important unless you are really opposed to the rare candy route.

I would love to know how this deck works out for you. From what I see, the main exclusions I would consider adding are Fisherman (this is super helpful when you have a Magnezone set up and you want to power up another Kingdra right after a KO) and rare candy (I know item lock is a thing but getting a turn 2 Magnezone makes this deck viable in my opinion). I also think you can probably cut a water energy but that is up to you. The max elixirs might not be necessary if you focus on making the Magnezone more streamlined. Those are just some of my ideas, take them or leave them.

I definitely like the 2 Lysandre. PCL and Wally might not be as important unless you are really opposed to the rare candy route.

Thanks for helping! :)
Yeah I forgot to mention about rare candy. I wanna add it in there but it is pretty expensive :/ I think Fisherman would actually be a good addition along with cutting a water energy.

Edit: I just realized that rare candies were really cheap. Oops :p

Last edited:
I'd recommend taking a look at Clemont for the list instead of Shaunas, N provides good shuffle draw and this deck would really like the free 120 damage worth of lightning energy. If you think this deck will get too far ahead too quickly to justify N and you need a second shuffel draw supporter, run birch instead of Shauna. Mathematically speaking, Birch has an expectation value of 5.5 cards off its shuffle effect to Shauna's 5.

Another card I'd look into as a tech is a single copy of either Energy Reset System and/or Energy Pouch (I'd personally go with Energy Pouch). That allows you to play a bit more aggressively with a Kingdra, knowing all its energy are safe. On the topic of energy related retrieval, this deck would love a way to get any energy in the discard pile back to the deck or hand. (As mentioned by D-Babs) fisherman is always nice, but a non-supporter fix is Energy Recycler, which gets more energy back, but to the deck, not to the hand.

Overall, though, I really like this deck so far, great work!

I'd recommend taking a look at Clemont for the list instead of Shaunas, N provides good shuffle draw and this deck would really like the free 120 damage worth of lightning energy. If you think this deck will get too far ahead too quickly to justify N and you need a second shuffel draw supporter, run birch instead of Shauna. Mathematically speaking, Birch has an expectation value of 5.5 cards off its shuffle effect to Shauna's 5.

Another card I'd look into as a tech is a single copy of either Energy Reset System and/or Energy Pouch (I'd personally go with Energy Pouch). That allows you to play a bit more aggressively with a Kingdra, knowing all its energy are safe. On the topic of energy related retrieval, this deck would love a way to get any energy in the discard pile back to the deck or hand. (As mentioned by D-Babs) fisherman is always nice, but a non-supporter fix is Energy Recycler, which gets more energy back, but to the deck, not to the hand.

Overall, though, I really like this deck so far, great work!

I'll definitely look into Energy Pouch and Clemont. Thanks for the help! :)

I wonder whether a single copy of both Jolteon-EX and Glaceon-EX would be beneficial. You're running both Lightning and Water Energy and I feel that their locks are too good to ignore - certainly worth testing to see how many auto-wins they could pinch you.

I wonder whether a single copy of both Jolteon-EX and Glaceon-EX would be beneficial. You're running both Lightning and Water Energy and I feel that their locks are too good to ignore - certainly worth testing to see how many auto-wins they could pinch you.

Hahah I did think about adding Glaceon-EX in because it's one of my favorite pokemon but I don't know if it would make the deck more consistent. I think Regice might do a better job of nullifying damage. As for Jolteon-EX, it's a bit too expensive. Otherwise I would definitely run it instead of Raikou. Thanks!

Hahah I did think about adding Glaceon-EX in because it's one of my favorite pokemon but I don't know if it would make the deck more consistent. I think Regice might do a better job of nullifying damage. As for Jolteon-EX, it's a bit too expensive. Otherwise I would definitely run it instead of Raikou. Thanks!

Raikou is nice as a non-EX attacker to help with prize trade and getting past other Regice and Carbink (especially since you aren't playing Hex Maniac). I would probably keep it in regardless of changes you make. You can attack with Magnezone of course but it is not preferable to risk having it KO'd. Glaceon EX would be cool to try out though, and it is preferable to Regice in some senses because it only requires the one manual water attachment.

Sure, Raikou is good, but I highly suggest getting rid of Regice and Raikou for a Jolteon and a Glaceon.

Personally, I'd drop the regice for another raikou. Even though regice is a great blocker, the slew of non-EX attackers in our current meta. Plus raikou has type advantage against yveltal-EX, which is very popular. Raikou also works better with the deck's theme of stacking lightning energy for massive damage.

Personally, I'd drop the regice for another raikou. Even though regice is a great blocker, the slew of non-EX attackers in our current meta. Plus raikou has type advantage against yveltal-EX, which is very popular. Raikou also works better with the deck's theme of stacking lightning energy for massive damage.

I'll definitely consider adding another Raikou. I've been seeing a lot of Ex killers so Raikou was one of the first cards I wanted in this deck. Thanks!

Back