Discussion Which M-Manectric EX Variant Plays Better?

PlinfaTheBest

Plinfa means Piplup in German!
Hi everyone,

I had some new thought about my meta and I halfway concluded on using a M-Manectric EX deck (partly because I don't need to borrow that much cards). I brought it down to two lists as I feel the others are not so good in my meta, but I will list them anyway. Here are my thoughts:
  • M-Manectric/Jolteon: This deck is one of the best when it comes to playing against Night March, but Jolteon EX is a dead card when playing against Greninja, which I expect to be the most popular deck.
  • M-Manectric/Vileplume: I don't know if you need four Shaymin EX for that one like you play in Vespiquen/Vileplume (probably not, I hope you need just two to succeed). It has a nice Night March matchup (if you can go first) and probably a good Greninja matchup as well since Greninja can get inconsistent under Item lock (especially T1).
  • M-Manectric/Garbodor: That one has seen some success at tournaments. The Greninja matchup should be fantastic if you can bait their Startling Megaphone/Xerosic, but it has an autoloss against Night March (in my opinion) because you can't lock their Shaymin EX T1 without Wally and they can set up just like they want to.
So what is your opinion on those decks? I personally tend to use M-Manectric/Vileplume as I feel it gives me a good matchup overall.
Thank you for your suggestions
PlinfaTheBest

ToToLaw

Aspiring Trainer
where's Manectric/Ho oh? it did great in states, mostly in master. I have never heard about vileplume and I don't understand the rationale behind it

PlinfaTheBest

Plinfa means Piplup in German!
I forgot that one, thanks! The logic behind the Vileplume variant is that M-Manectric is not affected by Item lock that much once it sets up.

Last edited:

GamesChess

Aspiring Trainer
Usually you only have 1-2 jolteon in the manectric deck, the rest is usually either regice/articuno/raiku, or some other pokemon. I ran 2 at states, but dropped down to 1 after. It is really good against toad/tina and night march, but you really need to get it powered up on your first turn, that means hit max elixirs and a dce.

(PS - the jolteon is the best imo, vile is kinda random)

gamercal

Spell card! Love Sign ~ Master Spark!
Yeah, I'm not sold on Vileplume with Mane. Mane needs your opponent to have tools on them, and Mega Mane needs the Spirit Link for itself. Neither of those things can happen whilst Vileplume is on the field, so honestly you're gimping yourself by blocking all items. Vileplume itself is also only truly effective on the very first turn - if you can't get it out T1 its value diminishes exponentially. This further inhibits the Tool reliance that Manectric displays.

ToToLaw

Aspiring Trainer
Manectric/Garbodor saw a large play in the past, but i see only a few now. Maybe we got Hex maniac now, so instead of 2-2 Garbodor and 2 float stone (6 cards), people play 2 Hex instead.