Discussion How to Play Against Greninja BREAK from Night March POV

Shifusansou

Aspiring Trainer
Hey,
since Nationals are about to happen, I need some advice or insight.
I will bring a NM Deck and I struggle so much against Greninja Break, it is just such a tough Matchup. They always seem to somehow survive and snipe me on the last turn.
How do you guys approach this Matchup from the beginning? I try to play with Pumpkaboos+FFB only and somehow use Hex Maniac as often as possible.

Honestly, it's a tough but doable match. I choose to go second after knowing they play Greninja, hoping to kill an active Frogadier when we go second. You need to hit 8 (which in this matchup is probably gonna be 4 Lampents and 4 Joltiks) night marchers in the discard with Fighting fury belt, Pumpkaboo and Dimension Valley. It's sometimes hard to keep consistently get all that out, whereas Greninja has the ability to get multiple Greninja in play, doing multiple snipes. In order to stop the snipes, you also need Hex Maniac. This matchup is very tough because you need to get an attacker turn after turn with an energy on it also hoping to play a Hex Maniac.

TLDR: You need to be lucky and hit attacker after attacker followed by a Hex. Another way you can beat them is using their consistency issue against them. Sometimes they could only get 2 Frogadiers out its attack and then you kill the active leaving them only 2 Greninjas to work with for a couple turns.

I must say... This is a tricky matchup - and just streaming Hex Maniac can be tough sell, especially when many Greninja builds have Jirachi for energy denial, Ace Trainer to disrupt your hand down to three, and can even tech Silent Lab and use Shadow Stitching to block Shaymin's ability.

That said, the best way to deal with the Ninjas is patience, and to acknowledge that the deck can be fairly inconsistent, and has pretty low HP attackers. Pumpkaboo is your best attacking option, and make sure to use Fury Belts on them. Use Puzzle of time to help stream the Belts, and only compress the Night Marchers for the right amount of damage. Don't indiscriminately attach DCE - or it will be bound to getting detached quite easily by Jirachi. Learn to manage deck resources well, so that the Ace Trainer won't sting as much.

The main point, though, is to force the Greninja player into needing to play a fairly complex card combination to outplay your Night March deck. You'll find that when you do this, the clunky nature of the frogs can hinder them from fully exeggcute-ing their intended strategy at times. It's a tough call, but it's possible to win...

Yeah I guessed so already. I usually go second all the time, i feel like getting the first attack off is just so beneficial as NM. Especially if the enemy has to put down a shaymin as their first basic. Otherwise it can easily sky return back. So I suppose i will always start second if possible.
I feel this Matchup is just so luck Reliant. If I have Puzzles priced or was forced to discard them early, its just nearly impossible to come back unless they play Shaymin Variants.

Back