Blastoise Variants

poke4trade

Raising Ash
I feel like I'm spamming this thread. Sorry to all. I just wanted to post an update. Today at cities my kiddo Archies/blastoise first turn in all 4 games with the above deck list. It ran very consistent without the eggs.

redsky22

Aspiring Trainer
I have found running 1 hex maniac helps this deck.it may slow down blastoise for a turn but if you are set up you can risk not using blastoise for a turn.

gumball51321

*thumbs up*
I feel like I'm spamming this thread. Sorry to all. I just wanted to post an update. Today at cities my kiddo Archies/blastoise first turn in all 4 games with the above deck list. It ran very consistent without the eggs.
I wasn't able to pull up the list. Can you manually post it?

poke4trade

Raising Ash
Sorry about that gumball51321 here is the list we used for the cities. When playing, its a bit different because you pull archies more from a jierachi than you do the Vs seeker. Please have a go at it. I'm definitely not saying it's the all end all, I'm just saying it works for us. The eggs work really well too, but for juniors it's sort of a memory issue. It's the reason I came up with the list. My kiddo kept forgetting to discard eggs, or forgot they were in the discard. I was trying to make it easier for him. Good Luck!

Pokemon:
3 Keldeo EX PR BW61
3 Unown AOR 30
2 Shaymin EX ROS77
2 Jirachi EX PLB 60
1 Jirachi PR XY67
1 Blastoise PLB 16
1 Blastoise BCR 31
1 Kyogre EX DEX 26
1 Articuno ROS 17

Trainers:
4 Trainers' Mail
4 VS Seeker
4 Ultra Ball
4 Battle Compressor
4 Superior Energy Retrieval
3 Reserved Ticket
1 Float Stone
1 Rough Seas
1 Computer Search
1 Muscle Band
2 Archie's Ace in the Hole
2 Professor Sycamore
1 N
1 Lysandre
1Fisherman

Energy
11 Water Energy

fr33land

Weak competitive trainer.
Part of the issue with Unown is bench space. While I agree it works great to drop an Unown and redeem the farewell letter after you've completed the Archie's, sometimes your bench is spammed and you haven't the room to get Blastoise on there, whereas you risk drawing another supporter or anothe unplayable card with Unown otherwise. At least with Acro bike you have a 50/50 chance to decide on a card that is immediately playable. Parallel City is a terrible play for that reason, either Keldeo EX requires now 8 energies to perform a OHKO or you are screwing yourself by limiting bench space.
Eggs aren't critical, but if you haven't Tropical Beach or Electrode PLF / Octillery BKT they can help mid to late game with SER. While I agree wholeheartedly you need to draw two Battle Compressors in your first hand to make them immediately useful, they are very nice to have, well worth the risk of a 30HP start, since this deck runs so many basics.
The two main problem I see are Pyroar and turn 1 Vileplume, a matchup where if you don't win the coin flip the game is essentially over, since you cannot play Hex Maniac and Archie's in the same turn. Eggs have a synergy with Acro Bike which cannoth be ignored, they can be discarded and Acro Bike becomes two cards for an Ultra Ball or SER or Computer Search since you can discard both the card you draw and the Egg. They can make the Archie much easier if you can get them in discard early by making the even or odd you need when discarding.
Vileplume is definitely the biggest threat, since in a pinch Blastoise can easily take care of several Pyroar, but not being able to play a single item is game breaking.
Frozen City is also a terrible counter to this deck, you have to virtually KO Keldeo powering it up to make a KO.
Out of all the variations I enjoy most Articuno AT x 3 + Victory Star Victini is my favourite to play.
Jirachi EX and Shaymin EX or Egg starts are not bad since you can simply Ultra Ball keldeo EX and Rush In.
More than 1 or 2 Stadiums is a terrible choice since you cannot play a Stadium of the same name, you are simply including dead cards.
Including Fisherman is terrible, I think, item-lock means death and adding more than a single copy simply adds more supporters to foul Archie on turn 1, one copy might work seeing as how it could be discarded and Seeker'd, but SER is superior in all respects allowing you to Juniper and dig for more than 4 energies.
Without Jirachi EX - Random Reciever would make 2 good substitutes. giving you at least a 1 in 3 or 4 chance for pulling Archie.

Last edited:

SRreplet51

Aspiring Trainer
Would Energy Pouch be a good addition to this deck?
I have asked the same question but I have found that energy reset from fates collide is better, being able to take back all the energy loaded on a Keldeo and maybe attaching them to a new one has proved better, since you have ways to get your energy back, but it is also situational, against Yveltal, were you are going to get KOd immediately, I do see how energy pouch would be better, soooo basically what I'm saying is it's up to you :)

SRreplet51

Aspiring Trainer
I have been thinking of replacing my Kyogre from Dark Explorers to a glaceon from fates collide, since kyogre is mainly there to help with vespiquen, the only thing I worry about is sky return spams, to try and force me to break the crystal Ray lock. Any thoughts?

gumball51321

*thumbs up*
I have been thinking of replacing my Kyogre from Dark Explorers to a glaceon from fates collide, since kyogre is mainly there to help with vespiquen, the only thing I worry about is sky return spams, to try and force me to break the crystal Ray lock. Any thoughts?
Why not play both? Drop an Articuno for a Glaceon, and playtest that way. I haven't played the deck in a while, so maybe I'm wrong.

Bisounours

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
What do you guys think of the new Fates Collide Barbaracle as a tech in the deck? Could prove very useful against decks like Vespiqueen/Flareon and Seismitoad.

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
N can help stop Sky Return spam, too.

gumball51321

*thumbs up*
Has anyone playtested Puzzle of Time? I was able to drop Fisherman since it worked so well. Anyone want me to post the list? And P.S, I HAVE playtested other stuff with it, so it's not JUST the same list but with Puzzles.

marsupial311

Aspiring Trainer
With the release of the Keldeo battle deck, do people going to Phoenix expect to see a lot more of this deck than usual because of how much easier it is to get the skeleton cards?

gumball51321

*thumbs up*
With the release of the Keldeo battle deck, do people going to Phoenix expect to see a lot more of this deck than usual because of how much easier it is to get the skeleton cards?
No. The deck was rather easy to build to begin with, so you needn't worry about more people playing it. People go to Regionals to win, not just to play. And with so many decks to play, people would go for the best option, not the easiest. Although I hate to say it, this deck lost a lot of power, since expanded let people play with Dark Patch, and gave Yveltal the power it needed to pretty much rule the format. And Bees are still around in expanded, but it would be up to you to sacrifice consistency to beat the deck, or just play a better deck in general. That pretty much goes for everyone. Oh yeah, I thought I'd also point out, there's a rumor saying that people are going to play a lot of Vileplume at Arizona(I assume that's where you meant with Phoenix)

LightningCloud224

Aspiring Trainer
No. The deck was rather easy to build to begin with, so you needn't worry about more people playing it. People go to Regionals to win, not just to play. And with so many decks to play, people would go for the best option, not the easiest. Although I hate to say it, this deck lost a lot of power, since expanded let people play with Dark Patch, and gave Yveltal the power it needed to pretty much rule the format. And Bees are still around in expanded, but it would be up to you to sacrifice consistency to beat the deck, or just play a better deck in general. That pretty much goes for everyone. Oh yeah, I thought I'd also point out, there's a rumor saying that people are going to play a lot of Vileplume at Arizona(I assume that's where you meant with Phoenix)
Item lock decks also ruin this decks main strategy, so decks like vileplume and trevenant can lock you out all but entirely. Yveltal can run Maxie's to threaten item lock decks with archeops, which are mostly evolution cards. Not to get out off topic.